Aria The Animation / The Natural / The Origination (TV Series)

That would be awesome!

Pay attention to the pencil as Akari works upstairs and you might notice a little product placement… although as we learn from the photo album, Aria Sato’s been around more than long enough to be the subject of a Company promo of some sort…

I saw it!

spoiler

I think the president’s image makes a great promo. He is the company mascot after all. Great advertising!

And he looked so cute in the Hawaiian shirt too. But when Akari asked him to describe the girl that drew the original picture, didn’t it seem like he was describing Akari? :laughing:

which is probably why she didn’t understand him… lol…

Aria 15 -

spoiler

Akari thinks she may have a lonely lunch by herself when friends start showing up and join her.

They start reminiscing about their childhood on Aqua and Al begins to tell a story of Akatsuki, Woody, and himself when they were children. There is a flashback of the boys at a playground being joined by two other children. Akatsuki pretends to be a superhero, but when one of the new kids can do things better than him, he concedes defeat and wants to call the other child “bro”. The other child refuses.

By this time Alicia joins the group and says that the story brings back memories. Funny that it turns out that the other two children in the story were Alicia and Akira! No wonder she didn’t want to be called “bro”, but she was a cute tomboy. Poor Akatsuki – to realize now that he had been bested by a girl back then!

Akari feels left out, because she is not from Aqua, but says how nice it is that life can circle around like that. They all assure her that she is already a part of the circle, and is in fact, its center. I liked the following scenes showing the other characters around the city, thus completing Akari’s circle of friends.

spoiler

I had it figured out pretty early on who the other two kids were, the young Alicia saying “My, my, my” pretty well gave it away for certain. More beautiful sunsets at the end of this one! Everyone comes out of the woodwork except the cat king, too.

I am sooooo missing this series. Can’t wait till I get to go back home.

Also figured out who the girls were really quickly. Was not surprised Akira was a tomboy.

Episode 16 -

spoiler

Akari must bid farewell to her “partner”. When her gondola doesn’t pass inspection due to age, Akari must get a new one. The old one can only be used to carry goods. Alicia suggests that she take a final ride to revisit some memories, take some pictures and say goodbye to her gondola. That evening, she remembers her fist time in “Mr. Gondola”, and going backwards to her embarrassment, when Alicia brings it to her attention.

The next morning she takes her “goodbye gondola tour”. Akari picks up Akatsuki and retraces the route of their first trip together - appropriate, since he was her fist customer. I could see how much her skill has improved from that time. As she takes a picture of them, Alice and Aika show up. Alice wants to go to the place where she first met Akari.

As they sit under a tree, with President Aria eating from the picnic basket, the girls reminisce about the gondolas. Aika actually tears up, but when it is brought to her attention, she denies it, saying it was the steam from the tea. However, I didn’t see any tea! They take some pictures and go their separate ways.

Akari continues around the city, taking pictures, some with other friends and ends up at the Single’s exam course. It is a raised canal that overlooks the city, with a lock in the middle. She stops at a spot with a beautiful view. This is where she found out she passed the test, recalling Alicia telling her that she was now a Single. She takes a picture here as well.

As she waits for the lock to fill on the way back, Akari falls asleep. When she wakes up there is an old man in her gondola, requesting a ride. She complies and gives him a ride. Suddenly she wakes up again, still in the lock. Who was the old man and how did he get on the gondola? I think she had one of her “experiences” again, although she thinks it was only a dream. Back home, she cries and thanks Alicia for the day, but I know she made some wonderful new memories.

This was such a bittersweet episode. I think it will become one of my favorites. And there is a new ending that I like very much. It is so pretty, as is the new song!

Agree ep. 16 was a very nice episode.

Episode 17 -

spoiler

Continuing with last week’s episode, Alicia suggests they have dinner on the gondola. As they dine, Alicia tells Akari that this was her first gondola as well. The other girls come and they have a farewell party, reminiscing about their time with the gondola. They all bid farewell to the gondola and leave.

Akari chooses to spend some last moments with the gondola and ends up spending all night there. It begins to rain and President Aria brings her an umbrella, but she doesn’t want it, saying the rain feels nice. As her tears mix with the rain, she realizes that her memories are precious ones. There is a very pretty song here too.

The next morning the gondola is taken away by the cargo company and Akari gets her new one. As she takes it out for its first ride, they pass the old one, hauling cargo. Akari is momentarily taken aback, but is happy to have her new partner. I think she will have plenty of new memories to make now.

Ep. 18

Good thing Akira noticed Aika hair was on fire in time. Akira may have been very blunt but she had a good point that Aika must be her own person. Agree that Aika new hairstyle at the end was nice looking.

Episode 18 -

spoiler

Akira throws a barbecue lunch party. President Aria looked like a sunflower and he did a cute little hula dance. I enjoyed the girl’s meat chant too! Aika shows up with a new hairstyle and gets compliments; she is especially pleased by Alicia’s. Later she carelessly leans over the grill and her hair catches fire. Quick thinking Akira grabs the tablecloth and throws it over Aika’s head. When the tablecloth is removed, part of Aika’s hair is burnt, but she laughs it off. She leaves, using the tablecloth to cover her hair and Akari and Alice follow her. They finally catch up to her to find her crying.

Back in her room, they promise to give her a new hairstyle. As Akari goes to comb her hair, the burnt part falls off and the cats play with it. Aika tells them to cut what they need to in order to even out her hair with the burnt part, but she’s sad it has to be short. They cut her hair and it doesn’t look that bad – well maybe it does. Aika tells her friends that she made a wish to be like Alicia, so she grew her hair and now her wish has failed.

Akira had been listening to them unnoticed and says that Aika can’t be like Alicia. Aika pulls the blanket over her head and she chides them for leaving her to clean everything up herself. I like when she says that Aika “looks cute like a monkey”. She goes on to say that wishes are pointless, Aika can wish all she wants and she’ll never Alicia. Akira blocks Aika from running out of the room and tells her that she can only be herself - an excellent point! Aika cries, but she gets the message.

The next day, there is another barbecue – Aika’s treat for ruining the one the day before. Aika shows up with a new, shorter hairstyle that is very becoming. I think it suits her. It even makes her look a little more grown up.

Ep. 19

spoiler

Poor Aika catches a summer cold. I really think anime characters have no immune system at all. I think she looked really nice this episode. The short hair is working for her. I like how happy she was to get praised by Alicia. It was also funny seeing her work on an excuse to go showoff to Al. Al was smart and praised the new look or just has good taste.

One of the things I like about Aria is they actually mention the work to terraform Mars. The science buff in me likes that. I hope TAN shows the 3rd season and OAV.

Episode 19 -

spoiler

The girls are training together. It’s been a week since Aika cut her hair and she’s getting used to it, thinking she looks more mature. Then Alice tells her she has bed hair and Aika realizes that there are some drawbacks to having short hair. She sneezes and Akari asks if she’s getting a cold, but Aika says that her neck just gets chilly with shorter hair.

However, she does end up getting a summer cold and has to stay in bed. After a few days, she gets bored and wants something fun to do. Since she is craving pudding - with whipped cream on top – she sneaks out. She thinks how great it is to be outside and walks around the town, enjoying the day and doing some shopping. At one point she sees Akira and has to hide from her, so she won’t be found out. Aika walks around some more, and then sees something upsetting that makes her run home.

Akari and Alice come to visit her and knock on her door. She tells them to leave and not come in her room. Concerned, they go in anyway to find a dressed Aika in her bed. She tells them that she told them not to come in and starts crying. Akari thinks that she is crying over her short hair, but Aika says that it’s the pudding’s fault, confusing the two girls. She tells them about being bored and sneaking out for pudding – with whipped cream on top. Aika said that she was having fun until she saw them getting along without her. She got scared and ran away. She went back home and cried. Akari says that she knows how she feels and Aika cries again.

Afterwards, she thanks Akari and Alice for visiting and tells them to leave so she can concentrate on getting rid of her cold. Instead of leaving, Alice asks her if she ever got her pudding and Aika says no, she completely forgot about it. Alice then says that she brought her pudding – with whipped cream on top. They all end up enjoying the pudding and Aika says that she is really happy that they came to visit her after all.

It’s two days later and Aika is finally over her cold. The girls plan to practice together that day and Aika thinks she will have to work twice as hard to make up for lost time. As Aika gets ready, she uses the new hairpins she bought the day she sneaked out and admires how they look in the mirror. During training, Akari compliments her hairpins and how they suit her new hairstyle. Aika is finding it hard to concentrate because she has had an urge to do something since the morning, but knows she has to stay focused and set a good example for the others. They meet Alicia and she admires her hairpins as well. When she moves on, the girls turn to find Akari crying, saying that she can’t take it anymore. Akari and Alice are worried about her and she says that it’s the hairpin’s fault. Aika goes on to say that she hasn’t seen Al since she cut her hair, but ever since she put the hairpins on, she wants to see him. Akari chides her for not telling them something so important sooner, but Aika says that she doesn’t have any excuse to go to see Al. Akari tells her that the hairpins are excuse enough and they send her to visit him.

On the elevator down to the underground world, Aika wonders why she wants Al to see her new hairstyle and wonders if she is expecting something; she suddenly gets nervous. When the elevator reaches the gnome’s workplace, Aika admires the pretty gravity stones that control Aqua’s gravity and thinks they look like candy. I thought they did too and I sometimes forget that they are on another planet in this show. She looks for Al and finds his boss, Old Man Apa. He says that it’s unusual for someone to visit all the way down there and Aika gets all flustered. She asks for Al and finds out that he is at dinner because he is working the late shift. When Old Man Apa asks if she came all the way down there just to see Al, she gets flustered again and says it wasn’t important. She hands him a box and tells him that it contains pudding – with whipped cream on top - and leaves.

As Aika waits for the elevator, she wonders why she came and starts to feel foolish. The elevator arrives but she decides to take the stairs instead, thinking that Al might be the type of person to walk off a meal. I think she hopes to bump into him accidentally on purpose by walking up the stairs. She eventually gets to a certain point on the stairs where she’s just too tired to go any further. As she catches her breath, she looks up and sees someone coming. It’s Al! He asks her what she is doing there and stammering and spluttering, she says that she was just in the area and stopped by. She can’t stop talking until he notices her hair and asks her if she cut it. Aika strikes a pose and asks if he likes it. Al vigorously nods and says yes four times, so I think he does. He tells her that the short hair really suits her and she visibly relaxes and wonders why she spent all day moping and fretting just to hear him say that. She doesn’t understand why, but admits she’s happy.

She walks up the stairs past him and tells him that she left a present with Old Man Apa for him. But I’m a little disappointed that she didn’t say it was pudding – with whipped cream on top! Anyway, Al calls her and she turns back to him. He compliments her hairpins and tells her that they look lovely on her. She looks really happy to hear that and turns to go back up the stairs. Al offers to walk with Aika, but I think she took the elevator instead.

These were really sweet episodes. It was nice to learn more about Aika. She likes Al, but doesn’t seem to realize it yet. And she likes pudding – with whipped cream on top! :laughing:

Ep. 20

Akari seems to be a magnet for the paranormal. All her kindness to cats paid off as Cait Sith saved her.

Episode 20

spoiler

Another supernatural episode that was really good!

Poor President Aria has a cold and has to stay home, but Akari promises to bring home his favorite canned peaches and goes off the meet the girls. It is a very hot day and she is the first to arrive at the plaza. Akari sees a woman in a long black dress with a veil over her face and wonders if she’s hot. Aika comes and when Akari looks again, the woman is gone.

While they wait for Alice, Aika tells Akari a ghost story – a famous one from Manhome that involves San Michele Island, which is a graveyard. After the story, Akari is happy that the story isn’t about Neo-Venezia and Aika tells her not to be so optimistic – that the ghost hunts the plaza here as well. Akari thinks of the woman in black that she saw and Alice puts a hand on her shoulder, scaring her.

As they practice, I notice that there are a lot of cats around lazing in the heat and watching them. The girls talking about telling more ghost stories, but Akari doesn’t want to. Alice tells Akari – “you have a tendency to attract mysterious phenomena” and to be careful. Both Aika and Alice then give her some advice, but you know she isn’t going to take it!

The girls part as the sun is setting and Akari goes to buy the President’s peaches. They took a long time to find and night has fallen. As Akari passes the plaza, the woman is there again. She hails Akari and gets into the gondola. Akari explains that she can’t take customers by herself and the lady says that all the other gondolas are gone for the night. Akari feels bad for her and offers her a ride as a friend. As they go along, Akari asks her destination and the woman replies that it is San Michele Island, which is a graveyard on this planet as well. Just like the ghost story!!

When Akari is late getting home, President Aria looks worried about her – either that or he just wants his peaches! As Akari heads towards the island, she wonders why the woman wants to go there so late at night. The cats of the city gather together on the rooftops near the water and watch. Akari is wondering if the dress that the woman is wearing is a mourning dress. Aika’s words echo in her mind – “you must never go with her” and she now thinks she might be spirited away, just like in the ghost story. I’m glad she finally put two and two together, but it might be too late now.

They reach the island and the lady thanks her for the favor. Akari begins to leave, but the woman grabs her hand and says that she’s a good girl as she drags her from the gondola. She runs through the graveyard, almost flying and dragging Akari behind her. Rose petals fly through the air, and the woman tells Akari that she wants to be with her forever. When Akari can’t run anymore, she falls and the lady encourages her to stand and keep going with her. Akari looks up at her and with the rose petals swirling around them, the strong breeze blows the lady’s veil off and her head is gone! I got such goosebumps! However, she is still holding Akari’s hand. It gets more windy and the Cat Sith appears. He gives the ghost a “look” and the lady lets go of Akari’s hand, runs off and disappears. The Cat Sith fondly touches Akari’s cheek and then hugs her. I’m glad he was able to save her. I guess it’s nice to have friends in high places! And he really does seem to care for her.

Akari wakes up on the deck of Aria Company. President Aria is very happy to see her, as if he knows exactly what happened to her. When Akari looks at her hand, she is holding a rose petal from the graveyard and suddenly remembers what happened. She grabs President Aria and hugs him. Alicia, who had been out looking for her comes back and as they hug, says she was really worried about her. Akari tells her what happened and Alicia is glad she’s ok. I’m not sure if Alicia believed her or not – maybe she thinks Akari dreamed it, but Akari hugs her tighter, saying that she was scared and starts to cry and President Aria cries as well.

The next day, she tells Alice and Aika the story, but tells them that she can’t be sure it wasn’t a dream. She shows them the rose petal and Alice mentions that it is from a flower that only grows on San Michele Island. This scares all the girls. Alice then tells them the facts about the ghost story that Aika told earlier – it is really an untrue story. Aika, trying to figure it out says that – “a ghost from the past, from a made-up story in the future, haunts the city” and Alice tells her that is why it’s so scary. All three girls scream. I really love these episodes! I think this has been the best paranormal one so far.

Ep. 21

spoiler

A nice homage to Galaxy Express 999. Liked President Aria dressing up as Maetel. Was nice of Akari to give the kitten her ticket. In the “Lord of the Rings” Frodo was named friend of the Elves. I think Akari holds the same status with cats.

Ep. 22

spoiler

Wow, President Aria travels to a parallel world and gender bends the entire cast. He was not very happy with the male Hime. Akatsuki made a nice looking women. Woody not so nice.

Akatsuki was such a dork as a child. He sure was embarrassed to see President Aria doing his old pose. Also had one nice looking mom.

I’m watching an episode behind, but I liked the homages in ep. 21, too.

And it was nice to hear the first ending theme to this season more or less in full, too.

Episode 21 -

spoiler

Akari wakes up in the middle of the night to hear the sound of a train, but she shouldn’t be able to and wonders if it’s the Galaxy Express. All the cats are out again and I think I’m getting another supernatural episode! I love that Alice’s kitten has a stuffed President Aria and attacks it the same way as the live one. The next morning, Akari asks Alicia about the train, but she’s never heard it and Akari wonders if she’s the only one.

At practice, Akari asks Aika and Alice about the train, but they never heard it either. Alice asks about a Manhome book regarding the “Galaxy Express” and Akari says that she has it. Alice says that it’s a train that goes to the land of the dead and Aika warns her again to be careful because she always seems to attract strange things. Alice tells her to never to get on the train if she ever sees it, and scares Aika.

Back at Aria Company, Akari reads the Galaxy Express book and thinks maybe she made a mistake. However, that night President Aria wakes her up and gives her an envelope from the Cat Sith that contains a ticket for the Galaxy Express. Later that day at practice, Akari tells Aika and Alice that she isn’t sure what to do. She says that she used to get excited and that her heart would race when they met; she still wants to see him, but doesn’t think she should. The girls think she’s talking about a guy until she says it’s the Cat Sith. They say that they would not want to meet him, but Akari says that – “he always gives me a sparkly, exciting and mysterious experience” and Aika hits her with “no sappy lines allowed!”, before resuming practice.

Akari later visits the spot where the train would stop, but it is just an ordinary street. She thinks of her past encounters with the Cat Sith and tries to decide whether or not she should go. She asks President Aria if they should and it certainly sounds like he says that they should go. At sunset, a worried Alicia looks out of the window to see Akari just drifting in her gondola. She takes her gondola out to join her and gets the story of the ticket. Alicia thinks it wonderful, but Akari thinks she shouldn’t go and wonders about all her strange encounters. Alicia likens them to Aqua’s ocean and says that since Akari wants to learn about Aqua, well then maybe Aqua wants to learn about Akari as well. Alicia tells her that for whatever reason, she has gotten close to Aqua’s heart.

Later that night, Akari has made up her mind to go. She goes back to the spot she visited earlier in the day, but this time there are train tracks, a platform and a crossing light. She can’t believe it’s the same street, but then the train comes and stops in front of her. When she looks around, all the cats are there with their tickets and it looks as if the Cat Sith is the train conductor. He stamps the tickets as the cats board the train, but one little kitten doesn’t have a ticket and the conductor won’t let it board. Akari steps forward and gives her ticket to the kitten. She guesses the conductor is the Cat Sith and she thanks him for saving her at the graveyard, as well as inviting her to ride the train. He pats her on the head and then takes her face between his paws, as she asks him a series of questions. He doesn’t answer her, but instead stamps her forehead and President Aria’s forehead as well. Akari thanks him and watches the train depart. The conductor rides at the back of the train and bows to her, removing his hat to reveal himself as the Cat Sith. She nods back as the train launches off the bridge and up to the stars. She believes that it really was the Galaxy Express and promises President Aria that someday they will ride on it too.

Akari wakes the next morning to think that it was all a dream, but then she sees the stamp on President Aria’s forehead, and looking at her own stamped forehead in the mirror, she knows that it wasn’t a dream after all. She tells Alicia about what happened and Alicia wisely tells her that she wants to learn more, but is afraid to find out, she wants to get closer, but can’t judge the distance, but that they “finally took a step towards each other”. Akari wonders if the Cat Sith could be Aqua’s heart after all. She later writes of her experiences to Ai and Ai tells her that she’d like to encounter Aqua’s “mysterious wonders” with Akari someday.