El Cazador de la Bruja

Not sure what you mean by this series being a moe series. I guess, very losely. But I can see the yuri aspect. And yes I’m sure that’s a reason why people really liked this show. But the same can go for the other two, so why pick this one over them? I don’t think that’s why people liked this the best. At least that’s not why I like the show so much. There’s just something undescrible about the show that attracts me to it. Besides all the other things I liked about it, it just “has” something that made me really enjoy the first few episodes. Not to mention the paceing is divine.

Ellis is the moe wildcard. Just like Shana is in Shakugan no Shana. Being in fashion helps the buzz factor that’s for sure. :wink:

Yeah I know this isn’t the case for you or the reason for your personal main interest in it.

[quote=Prede]
And I will remind you guys that for once I am in the majority here, and you guys are the minority (aka crazy :P, just kidding ) with this opinion. The word of the street has been “this is the best series in the trilogy” and so far I agree. Of course it’s not fair for me to judge, since I haven’t finished any of them, and only seen parts of this and Madlax. But I can say it’s an amazing show that just wowed me off the bat.[/quote]

Also think its is the best of the three. I’m looking forward to seeing the dub if just for the taco song. To bad my old computer does not handle the stream on Funimation’s site well. The DVD are on my must buy list.

[quote=ShawnMerrow]
Also think its is the best of the three. I’m looking forward to seeing the dub if just for the taco song. To bad my old computer does not handle the stream on Funimation’s site well. The DVD are on my must buy list.[/quote]

The DVD’s are on their way out - I got Part 1 (eps1-13) yesterday from RightStuf, long pre-ordered. It has a reasonable commentary episode (I learned Monica Rial was in all 3, though it’s hard to pick out her voice here!) and textless opening/endings.

I’m of the Noir > El Cazador > Madlax opinion myself, El Cazador is more entertaining, but I like the darker, more introspective approach of Noir better. And I remember more “high points” of Noir, despite having seen El Cazador more recently.

Chris B. of Mania (AOD) posted their official review today and it seems he too was underwhelmed by El Cazador. As a long time Bee Train fan, I guess he and I share similar views on what’s happening with Bee Train. :frowning:

Yeah, I was looking forward to this one, but after checking out a few episodes, I’m pretty disappointed as well. It’s not a bad anime, just not anything special. It certainly can’t hold a candle to Noir.

[quote=Prede]
Yes I agree that Madlax took a little to warm up to. At first I wasn’t won over on the show, but a few episodes in I started to really enjoy it. It took it’s time grabbing me, but it’s a solid show. This however grabbed me from the start, and hasn’t let go.

And I will remind you guys that for once I am in the majority here, and you guys are the minority (aka crazy :P, just kidding ) with this opinion. The word of the street has been “this is the best series in the trilogy” and so far I agree. Of course it’s not fair for me to judge, since I haven’t finished any of them, and only seen parts of this and Madlax. But I can say it’s an amazing show that just wowed me off the bat.[/quote]

I don’t know where you get that you’re in the majority on this one. Almost every other comment I’ve seen on this series says it pales greatly compared to Noir, and many even preferred Madlax. I’ve only seen two or three people who have preferred El Cazador. The only opinion that most seem to agree on, is that the animation is brighter and better done in this series. But considering it’s much newer than the others, that’s to be expected.

[quote=dragoon]
Chris B. of Mania posted their official review today and it seems he too was underwhelmed by El Cazador. As a long time Bee Train fan, I guess he and I share similar views on what’s happening with Bee Train. :([/quote]

Everyone is going to have an opinion on it, be it good or bad, but it really does pale in comparison to the other two in the “girls with guns” series from the start, thus far at least.
Even the Kajiura tracks just don’t pull the emotion that the other two had.

Kajiura is still my favorite, but even a lot of her recent works outside El Cazador seem to be nowhere as creative or unique. She peaked around the boom era with titles like .hack, Noir and Madlax. Even my other favorite, Taku Iwasaki’s recent stuff is nowhere as good lately as his older works. I wonder if it’s just a phase in anime as a whole, or if it’s due to the decline of production budgets and a system-wide problem or if they just are out of steam.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
I don’t know where you get that you’re in the majority on this one. Almost every other comment I’ve seen on this series says it pales greatly compared to Noir, and many even preferred Madlax. I’ve only seen two or three people who have preferred El Cazador. The only opinion that most seem to agree on, is that the animation is brighter and better done in this series. But considering it’s much newer than the others, that’s to be expected.[/quote]

It is only at this site where people have this opinion. On MAL, Anime on DVD, and other places the vast majority have considered this to be the best of the three “girls with guns” trilogy. Don’t you remember when Funi licensed this all the people saying “great we finally get the best part of the trilogy now” and such? Not sure where your getting the idea that many view this in poorer light then Noir and Madlax. But whatever. That’s not really important anyway. I just want to feel like for once I’m in the majority on SOMETHING :wink: … My opinion tends to differ greatly from what most think.

Dragoon: Yeah I saw his review ;). Thanks for pointing that out though. He and you seemed to say the EXACT same thing lol. He even mentions hate for Tsubasa . You sure you aren’t secretly him Dragoon?

Well I’ve watched the first 10 episodes now, and it’s still going very strong! Perhaps a little too episodic, but other then that I love it to death. I do hope the main plot kicks in a little more soon, but that’s my only real problem with the show. It’s a very fun, exciting, and cool show. Lot’s of style and I love the “western/wild west” feel of the show of. It will be hard for Noir to beat this, but I’ll see. I plan on buying that soon. Madlax is great, but I don’t like it as much as this.

Highlights of the last few episodes:

spoiler

Episode 6 was great, we learn a great deal of Nadie’s past, and meet up with an old friend. And L.A. Very creepily steals a kiss from Ellis in this episode…woooah! And then it’s later revealed that he cut a piece of her hair! Wow… The episode where Ellis and Nadie take care of the little girl in the inn was also very good. Loved that episode. Also loved how everything seemed to come to a head there. They meet the little girl, Nadie needs to get money from Blue Eyes, and L.A. fights Ricardo. In fact their fight scene was very intense! I loved it! Was unsure who would win that one up until the last second. Oh and then later Ricardo meets up with Nadie and Ellis. It seems Nadie is now fully aware of Ricardo and suspicious of him. But for now everything stays alright and he leaves after thanking them again…interesting. I really liked the episode with the Mafia boss, and his number 2. That was touching. I was very surprised to see Nadie get shot too! I like how they can paint terrible people in good light.

Finallly burned thru the series, and I have to say…It’s a good little show. Kinda laid back compared to the earlier two - i.e. Noir and Madlax. This has a more buddy picture feel to it like ‘Rush Hour’, a on the road picture like ‘Route 66’ or ‘Thelma & Louise’, and more ‘comedic’ in a way.

And I think that’s were the problem arises with all the not so hot reviews for El Cazador. They’re going into it expecting the same tone and atmosphere as the other two. Whereas Noir and Madlax were more “serious and action-filled”, this is, like I said earlier, more relaxed and laid back.

Think of Noir as a John Le Carre novel, slowly building atmosphere and character, giving clues and hints along the way until the final climatic showdown.
Madlax would be akin to say an Alan Fulsome novel.
El Cazador might be an elmore leonard novel…I guess, not to sure. These are not to be taken as precise descriptions, just ball-park figures.

But, then again, this is just my opinion. capiche?:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t get the novel comparisions (since I;ve never read any of those ;), but I totally get what your saying. I went into El Cazador thinking nothing much of it, and it blew me away ;). It’s totally a “buddy picture” though, like Rush Hour like you said. It’s about the characters playing off each other and the fun, rather then the plot or gun fights, anything too serious. Although those are all done well. I appreciate the more relaxed, light hearted, and comedic tone of this series. And you can’t knock it, for what it clearly is not, a seriuos action series. That’s like complaining there’s “not enough action” in Death Note, or that Grave of the Fireflies isn’t funny. It is what it, and that’s it. This is a lighter drama. Now be sure there are deaths, and it’s not all happy-go-lucky, but the tone is almost always postive.

Ok so I watched some more of this. Dragoon I actually think you would enjoy this more, as the show goes on. It’s hard to explain but it comes off as a show I would think you would enjoy :wink: . Perhaps not as much as Noir and Madlax but I think you would like it. It’s very character driven, yet a little weak on the plot. Although the general concept is very good. It probally won’t be your new favorite show, but I feel you will enjpoy it.

It has some great “slice of life” scenes in it, and it’s very much a drama, and just keep in mind it’s not an action show at all, and everyone could enjoy it I think. I want to compare this to something like Shingu or World of Narue then Madlax. It’s so very different then Madlax, despite the same creative team and director. Feels like a slice of life kinda show, with “other stuff in the background” just like Shingu and World of Narue. There are fight scenes (just like in those shows) but they are few and far between, and the “stuff in the background” (sci-fi for those shows, gun fights/supernatural stuff in this show) does come out every now and then. But it’s not the emphasis of the show. Also it has the same lighthearted tone as those shows. It’s not gloomy, sad, depressing, dark, or even very serious show. But it’s not a silly show either, and it’s very good. I really think you’ll like the slower episodes too Dragoon, like the Cabin or Inn episodes.

That being said, when there is a fight it’s very well done. Many of the gunfights feel like they are ripped straight out of a western, and you gatta love it.

I’m not sure most of us actually care about this, but FUNi started adding more episodes of this on their video portal today.
So they’re probably going to put up the rest of the series as well.

Well I’d care…but I own it. :stuck_out_tongue: . I still think you guys all gata give it another chance. I KNOW Dragoon will like this for example. You gata give it a few episodes, it’s such a great show. Remember SLICE OF LIFE, not action. Think of it as a slow paced road movie, with Shingu slice of life scenes. Really that’s what it is. Nothing like Noir or Mandlax IMO. It’s also a bit of a western on the side. I can see that bothering some, but I think it gives this show the edge over Noir and Madlax.

[quote=Prede]
but I think it gives this show the edge over Noir and Madlax.[/quote]

No it don’t.

I loved this anime, I bought El Cazador De La Bruja with Kaze no Stigma, & Romeo X Juliet two months ago.

[quote=chrisc]
I loved this anime, I bought El Cazador De La Bruja with Kaze no Stigma, & Romeo X Juliet two months ago.[/quote]

Ah those are some nice shows lol! Great tastes. I’ve been planning to buy Kaze no Stigma for awhile now, I saw the first episode and really liked it. I own all of El Cazador and Romeo X Juliet and they both would go on a top 5 list of anime released last year, along with Nana. I have like 3 episodes left of Romeo X Juliet before I finish it, great stuff.

I have seen up to #10 on the dub and really enjoying the dub so far.