Engaged to the Unidentified / Mikakunin de Shinkōkei

Episode 9 –

spoiler

Well, if Kobeni wants out of her engagement, now is the time. Suetsugi has proposed to Hakuya! But I don’t think Kobeni really wants out of her engagement, and Suetsugi doesn’t love Hakuya anyway. They are just the same kind of spirits. At least Hakuya chooses Kobeni, following her when she runs away. And Mashiro informs Suetsugi that Hakuya is already engaged to Kobeni, giving Suetsugi the idea that Kobeni and her sister are also spirits. It makes Suetsugi very happy to think she and Benio are the same!

Suetsugi is set straight on the spirit thing by Mashiro, but her mother had always told Suetsugi that if a male of their species is ever found, she should “claim him”. So this may cause problems anyway. Kobeni now thinks that Suetsugi likes Hakuya. Once he catches up to her, Kobeni mentions Suetsugi’s marriage proposal, and Hakuya assures her that he will only be marrying her. But Niko hears this and her reporter’s nose senses a story!

Too late, Hakuya remembers that he isn’t supposed to say anything about the engagement at school, so when Niko asks if he and Kobeni are dating, he gives her a very definite “no”. However, I think that answer kind of hurt Kobeni, and even after Hakuya explains his answer, Kobeni is still sad. But then I think she suddenly realizes that she has feelings for Hakuya. Oh, her face! LOL

It seems that everyone has the wrong idea about everyone else. Benio ends up proposing to Mashiro too, and Suetsugi gets the idea that Kobeni and Hakuya aren’t really engaged. Suetsugi says that she isn’t giving up, and Kobeni is again thinking that Suetsugi has feelings for Hakuya. More wrong ideas and Suetsugi suggests that Kobeni cancel their engagement when they talk. This makes Kobeni cry. Benio finds them and Kobeni lies about her tears. Hakuya knows that Kobeni was crying as well, and I loved his reaction to Benio’s explanation.

Kobeni is still thinking of what Suetsugi said about canceling the engagement. In a very roundabout way, she tells Hakuya that she likes him, but he’s still dense, so Mashiro takes it upon herself to translate. Hakuya is shocked, Kobeni is embarrassed, and the eavesdropping Benio doesn’t like what she heard at all. Mashiro announces that Kobeni and Hakuya can now advance to the next level, but when Hakuya tries to ask what that means, Benio attacks him. Jealous much? LOL Even so, Mashiro reminds Hakuya that “it’s time to show his stuff”. White Day is coming and Mashiro tells Hakuya to give Kobeni a present that will bring them closer together. I can’t wait to see what that might be!

Ep. 09

This whole Suetsugi arc has been rather fun!
Though Benio is starting to grate on my nerves a bit.

Episode 7 is live at ANO

Episode 10 –

spoiler

Benio still doesn’t want Hakuya getting any closer to her precious Kobeni. His problem right now is thinking of the perfect present for Kobeni for White Day. Since Benio knows her little sister so well, she should be helping Hakuya, instead of going off the deep end like this. It isn’t like Hakuya is going to take Kobeni away right then and there. Lighten up Benio!

It seems that Mashiro and Suetsugi have some things in common. LOL I think they may end up being friends at some point. Hakuya is still a little confused about the status of his relationship with Kobeni and Mashiro isn’t helping. Not only does he ask Kobeni’s friend for advice, he has to look things up on the net. LOL He ends up with the “time of dere”. Yes, that explanation does seem to fit his situation perfectly! But I don’t think Kobeni appreciates it.

They are left alone in the classroom together and Kobeni is really nervous. But Hakuya only wants to go home since it’s the end of the day. He also asks Kobeni if he can send her e-mails. I wonder why – they are pretty much always together anyway. Perhaps he’s a better writer than a speaker. When Kobeni says it’s fine, Hakuya sends her an e-mail immediately. Too cute! But jealous Benio is watching them, wondering why Mashiro isn’t with them.

Then again, Mashiro isn’t with them! It worries Benio that Mashiro might be walking home alone, so she jumps from the second floor window to tell Hakuya and Kobeni that “everyone” walks home together. Mashiro comes flying out of nowhere to chase Benio away from the happy couple, telling her that she’s a “third wheel”. LOL Benio ignores her of course. But Kobeni suddenly realizes that both Benio and Mashiro were watching them. And she is not happy!

Suetsugi finally gets Niko off the Kobeni story and steers her towards doing an article on Benio instead. However, Kobeni does get a mention – she’s good at cooking - and Benio is all excited about it. Then again her precious sister has been mentioned in the school paper, and suddenly Benio is not happy. Once again, Benio is just too possessive.

Kobeni is still under the impression that Suetsugi likes Hakuya, but Mashiro sets her straight on that point. Kobeni also finds out that she’s half one of “them” since Hakuya gave her half his power. Does that mean a special power for Kobeni? Anyway, Mashiro wants her to forget all about Suetsugi and her claiming of Hakuya. She really just wants to see her brother and Kobeni get closer.

The talk turns to matching outfits and Mashiro gets the idea that Hakuya can make that his White Day present. Oh geez! What follows is pretty funny. Kobeni ends up being against the entire thing and White Day altogether, but Hakuya is determined, and goes back to his web research. But then he’s a bit torn when it comes time to go shopping. He has to let Kobeni go home by herself! Oh, the horror! LOL

Unfortunately, he didn’t find a present, but he does find Kobeni. She gives him a gift of a handkerchief – one just like hers. Once again, Kobeni is just too cute and shy. But she made Hakuya extremely happy with this “pair” gift. And the last thing Kobeni wants is for Benio to find out about the pair gift. Unfortunately, Benio is right behind them. And the gift isn’t exclusive to Hakuya – Kobeni also got matching handkerchiefs for Benio and Mashiro too. That just spoiled everything! Poor Hakuya. But Mashiro insists that Hakuya has to do even better now with his gift to Kobeni. The pressure is really on now! Poor guy!

Ep 10

Man, Benio is getting worse.
She’s super annoying with her jealously fits.

Episode 11 –

spoiler

Mashiro is really putting the pressure on her brother to get Kobeni the perfect gift for White Day. Unfortunately, White Day is long past and Hakuya is still trying to come up with something. Kobeni’s friend advises Hakuya not to force it. Mashiro seems to think a date is the perfect solution. But for three? LOL And just because Benio can’t go, she forbids the others to go. Doesn’t work though and Kobeni later apologizes for her sister’s behavior. Mashiro was actually expecting Benio to fuss.

The date starts off with an alien abduction movie that Mashiro wanted to see. Hakuya sleeps through the movie and Kobeni looked like she didn’t enjoy it much. Instead of it being a day out to thank Kobeni, it looks like it’s more of a day centered around Mashiro. But Kobeni is fine with that because this is the first time she gets to show Mashiro and Hakuya the city.

On the way home she realizes the day was all about Mashiro. Hakuya is fine with that, but points out that it wasn’t a date. Kobeni says that they can always go out again. A gust of wind comes along and blows Hakuya’s hair around. It’s the first time Kobeni sees his entire face. She sees that he has a scar which explains why he wears his hair the way he does. From the reaction, I don’t think Kobeni was supposed to see that scar, but she asks about it anyway.

Mashiro says that Kobeni is seeing things and Hakuya says that he doesn’t speak Japanese. LOL Kobeni figures it out on her own. Hakuya’s scar is from her accident. Hakuya tries to deny it and tells her that he’s just a klutz. That makes Kobeni feel worse, and she tells him not to hide the truth. But Hakuya tells Kobeni that it was his fault. In fact, he says that if he “had done things properly”, Kobeni would never have gotten hurt in the first place. Looks like things are going to go back to being awkward between them.

Mashiro later talks to Kobeni about it and tells her to just ignore it, which would make Hakuya happy. Kobeni agrees, but she really isn’t okay with it. She still feels responsible for Hakuya getting hurt like that. Mashiro sends a message home about what happened and I don’t think she and Hakuya like the reply. The next morning, Kobeni thinks they are sleeping in when they don’t come down for breakfast. As it gets later, Kobeni goes to wake them up and finds them gone! Is the engagement off?

Episode 8 is live at ANO

Episode 9 is live at ANO

Episode 12 –

spoiler

Kobeni is assured that Mashiro and Hakuya would not have left without saying anything, but they’re still gone and there doesn’t seem to be any message. The house feels very lonely and quiet without them as Kobeni goes about her chores. Kobeni finally decides to check her messages – duh! There is a brief email from Hakuya, saying that he and Mashiro have gone home. And being that they are in the mountains, Kobeni can’t get in touch with them. Mayura suggests that she go after them, and Kobeni does just that.

It’s a long trip, and the snow covered scenery is beautiful, but Kobeni is still too worried to enjoy it. When she finally reaches her destination, it’s a long hike up the mountain and Kobeni isn’t sure which way to go. She’s still walking in the snow as the sun sets and it looks as if she’s a bit lost. She also looks like she’s going to have another one of her attacks.

Meanwhile, Hakuya and Mashiro are gathering edible plants. And it’s for Kobeni. They do intend to return to her! But now, it begins to snow, and Hakuya suddenly hears Kobeni’s voice. Mashiro says it isn’t possible since Kobeni is at home, but Hakuya goes running off. Kobeni is still struggling through the snow and calls out for Hakuya and Mashiro, but her voice is weak and isn’t going very far. Hakuya has some really good hearing! Kobeni sees a cave and takes a brief rest, wondering what is going to happen to her if she can’t find her friends. A noise outside has her fearing the worst – a bear – but thankfully it’s Hakuya!

Mashiro soon follows and asks Kobeni why she’s there. Kobeni explains her worry, and Mashiro tells her that they only came home to show their mother their reports cards, and to pick some edible plants. Mashiro also has a perfectly good reason as to why their room was totally cleaned out. Kobeni is relieved, and once she shows Mashiro the email, Mashiro reprimands her brother. He’s definitely a man of few words! LOL

Once everything is cleared up, Kobeni gives in to her fever and passes out. The snowfall turns out to be a blizzard and they are stuck in the cave. Hakuya makes a fire, and they are fine for the time being, but they really need to get Kobeni home. Hakuya goes for help, and as he was running, I was really hoping he’d transform into a dog. It would have been a perfect scene! Mashiro is trying to take care of Kobeni, but the fire is dying, and she decides to go out and gather more firewood.

In her fevered state, Kobeni worries that Hakuya and Mashiro will leave her again and goes out to look for them. It’s still snowing lightly as Mashiro returns a while later to find Kobeni gone. Hakuya arrives with help at the same time. A search is made, and Hakuya is very worried. Kobeni has passed out on the edge of a cliff. I hope everyone finds her! Both Mashiro and Hakuya blame themselves, but their mother calms them down and tells them to looks for signs of Kobeni.

Hakuya finds his jacket, the one he wrapped Kobeni in, so she must be close. Kobeni wakes up and wonders where she is. Standing, she backs up to look around, and the snows gives way beneath her feet, causing her to fall off the cliff. Hakuya suddenly grabs her hand. But who is holding him? I don’t know how he did it, but he gets Kobeni back up to the top. Kobeni is wrapped in a blanket and given something warm to drink. She talks about the accident and how Hakuya was with her the last time as well.

Hakuya stands and picks up Kobeni. I think he liked having her in his arms, and she looked very content to be there too. It’s finally stopped snowing, and Hakuya carries Kobeni through the woods with the light of a lovely full moon to guide him. Kobeni brings up Hakuya’s scar and tells him that there was no need to hide it from her. But he didn’t want her to worry or feel responsible. Kobeni tells Hakuya that engaged people shouldn’t hide things from one another. Hakuya’s face just lights up at that and Kobeni smiles at him. He promises not to hide anything from her anymore. Perhaps it was a good thing that Kobeni came to the mountain. She and Hakuya seemed to have cleared the air and grown closer to one another.

Hakuya soon comes across Mashiro, his mother, and everyone else that was searching for Kobeni. To top it off, Benio shows up in a helicopter. Over the top again! LOL Actually, Shirayuki contacted Kobeni’s family and the helicopter belongs to Mayura. Odd that instead of using the helicopter to go back home, they all take the train. Benio wants to know what happened when Kobeni and Hakuya were alone. She seemed disappointed with Kobeni’s answer of “nothing”. But she didn’t appreciate Hakuya’s glowing face either. LOL!

Spring arrives and everyone is in the same class again. Niko is still on the hunt for UMAs. At least she’s given up on gossip. Mashiro is still butting heads with Suetusgi. Kobeni just watches them fondly. Benio is gushing over the “Little Sisters” special edition newspaper, but Nadeshiko kills that idea. Life has pretty much returned to normal for Kobeni and company, but she and Hakuya have a new understanding, and Kobeni doesn’t seem to mind being engaged to him anymore. This was a really sweet story! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Episode 10 is live at ANO

Episode 11 is live at ANO

Episode 12 :end: is live at ANO

Q. Has Engaged to the Unidentified been successful? And any hint of a release date?

A. I can tell you that Mashiro is the unofficial office mascot. :slight_smile: #NotakonSentaipanel2014

Patiently waiting on the Home Video Release

This pic is from the 2nd OVA (note Eye Color)

I hope we get the OVA.

https://twitter.com/Sentaifilmworks/status/523230139195203584

Q) When are we getting a release date for Engaged to the Unidentified? I need more Mashiro and Kobeni in my life!

A) Looking into it!

Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

DVD

Blu-ray

“Engage to Unidentified” Best Album Announced in Commercial

January 03, 2015 2:35pm CST
Collection scheduled for March 18th

Drama CD to be Released with "Engaged to Unidentified " Manga

February 11, 2015 8:10am CST
Author Cherry Arai tweets about volume 6, scheduled for March 20th

A New Song for “Engaged to the Unidentified” Best Album

February 15, 2015 7:20pm CST