Ghost Hound / Shinreigari

Ghost Hound / Shinreigari

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Themes: death, fears, soul travel, spirit world, therapy, tragic past
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 22
Vintage: 2007-10-18 to 2008-04-03

Plot Summary: Production IG’s 20th Anniversary Project, Ghost Hound is set in the modest town of Suiten, located in a desolate region in the island of Kyushu. The story follows the experiences of three boys who have had traumatic experiences in childhood from which they have learned to transfer their souls to a parallel world known as the “Unseen World”. The Unseen World is however undergoing a change, with its ghosts starting to appear in the real world, altering it in unpredictable ways.

ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
Ghost Hound DVD Collection 1 (S)

Absolutely can’t wait for this… Production IG, Shirow, the director and storyboard staffer for both Lain and Kino’s Journey. Excellent pick up by Sentai and ADV, at least on paper.

The trailer looks amazing, as does the animation. I can’t wait for this. After all this good news today, my avatar seems very fitting. Between this, After Story, and Torchwood coming out on bluray today, this is the probably the best Tuesday ever.

It’s certainly been an amazing day for Sentai and ADV to pick up 2 highly requested and marquee titles like this. Ghost Hound is the second most wanted title I want this year… the first, is another Sentai/ADV one as well (but no it’s not Clannad, CAS is probably on my third or fourth most wanted to buy).

Just thrilled that Sentai and ADV have decided to get more artsy and quality stuff… after Chevalier and Kino’s Journey being underperformers I feared they would not tread this territory again, but they have… :slight_smile: And for Sentai and ADV to lock up Clannad After Story (would have been a major blow if it was not secured, and would have devalued Season 1) is huge.

Just can’t wait!

[quote=dragoon]
It’s certainly been an amazing day for Sentai and ADV to pick up 2 highly requested and marquee titles like this. Ghost Hound is the second most wanted title I want this year… the first, is another Sentai/ADV one as well (but no it’s not Clannad, CAS is probably on my third or fourth most wanted to buy).

Just thrilled that Sentai and ADV have decided to get more artsy and quality stuff… after Chevalier and Kino’s Journey being underperformers I feared they would not tread this territory again, but they have… :slight_smile: And for Sentai and ADV to lock up Clannad After Story (would have been a major blow if it was not secured, and would have devalued Season 1) is huge.

Just can’t wait![/quote]

So what is your most wanted title? Is it a newer series, or a older license?

I might be interested in this title.

Production I.G. does not make bad shows, and this was their 20th aniversity show, I have a feeling it is good.

Can’t wait.

Sounds like a title i’d enjoy, thanks to shows like Kanon, i’ve become more fond of this supernatural stuff.

And now the cover is released:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2381/sfgh1003d.jpg

[quote=dragoon]
And now the cover is released:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2381/sfgh1003d.jpg[/quote]

Not sure I like it. Looks like something from 8 years ago or a video game cover design wise. I’ve seen some great art in the trailers and OP so I wonder why they used this.

Given the higher price tag, I expected better of the cover myself. Not bad though, I find it fine, but certainly could have been better.

Actually, I kinda like it. I agree they could have used better cover art, but compared to many, many other releases out there it’s pretty good. (Have you seen some of the stuff from Funimation or Media Blasters lately? Shudders at what it could have been.) But I do really like the text.

Heh, luckily I place priority in the show content more than the cover or box, etc. I’m not too hard to please in that regard.

I got this a couple days ago and sat down and watched it this morning. I just meant to watch an episode or two, and ended up watching the whole first disc. I really like this show. It’s actually quite rare that I get into a subtitled show this quickly.

Ghost Hound has this creepy, yet fun atmosphere. The characters are fleshed out really well, and the plot lines so far are great. THe animation and soundtrack are also top notch. I really like the ED, though I’m not quite sold on the OP yet. The sound on the DVD’s is incredible. I think it may be the only subtitled show I have in 5.1, but there is a lot of directionality to it that really brings the show to life.

I only have one complaint so far:

The three main characters do this thing called Spirit Traveling, where the spirit becomes separated from their bodies. They fly around in this place called The Hidden Realm, where the spirits are said to live. It is pretty cool, except one thing. Their spirits look pretty funny, and it messes up the atmosphere in those scenes a bit They look like oversized, translucent smurfs…lol

Anyway, the show is incredible so far. If you haven’t got this, and I know it’s a bit more expensive than the other Sentai titles, you really need to prioritize it. If you like shows like Ghost Hunt or Hell Girl, or even more dramatic or psychological shows like Kino’s Journey or Serial Experiment LAIN, you should love Ghost Hound.

Just posted the below on my blog.

[quote]Anime Network will be premiering the anticipated Ghost Hound on Anime Network VOD on October 29 - Just in time for Halloween - they have also recently confirmed that Ghost Hound will be added to the Anime Network Online Player on Oct 30 - the previously released Geneon titles Popotan and Destiny of the Shrine Maiden have also been confirmed to be added in the near future.

Ghost Hound is regarded as Production IG’s 20th Anniversary project with considerable production talents involved: original creation and design by Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed), direction by Ryutaro Nakamura (Serial Experiments Lain, Kino’s Journey), scripting by Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze), character design/animation director Mariko Oka (Hell Girl).

Section23 Films released the Ghost Hound DVD Collection Part I, earlier this week on October 20.[/quote]

Full Story: SXAnimedia: Ghost Hound to Premiere on Anime Network
(Web/Social Networking Share links available on the link)

Dragoon: At least it’s not Cyber City volume 3 :P. One of the worst covers I got in my collection. I mean I hate that cover so much, it really makes the show look goofy. It hurts even more becuase it’s such a good show. But yes this could have used a better cover. The colors still seem off to me. Anyway…

Although Chris (on Anime on DVD) gave this a bad review, ANN is giving it rave review, saying it’s possibly the best title of the year, if it keeps up the quality. So they peaked my interests. I gata get this title! I think I may wait for the complete box set though, as I’m rather poor now lol. I still gata get Mahoromatic and Tsukihime as well. Keep putting off these titles, which is a shame. But I guess that’s because I’m not made of money lol.

Anyway check out the reviews. The contrast in opinions may help you understand if you will like this title or not. From “(possible) highlight release of 2009” to “It’s such a slow moving series that at the end of the first episode, there was absolutely nothing that compels you to watch the second episode…It made me laugh unfortunately and caused the show to feel even weaker.” Quite a difference in opinion there.

Anime on DVD: http://www.mania.com/ghost-hound-complete-collection-1_article_116726.html
ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ghost-hound/sub.dvd-1

shakes head Now I remember why I quit reading AoD’s reviews. They gave it a D, which is completely uncalled for. Princess Resurrection got a higher grade than that, and Ghost Hound is a much better title. I think this review alone has killed off much of the respect I have left for Chris Beveridge. Plus he complains about the price, but unless you’re buying it from Suncoast, you’re not going to be paying anywhere near $60. It’s under $40 at Best Buy, and on sale, it’s about the same at Anime Corner and Right Stuf.

Anime On DVD’s review is overly critical. I know everybody has different tastes, but there is no reason to give this title that bad of a review, when much lesser shows get higher grades. I would highly recommend ignoring AoD’s review.

It doesn’t really diminish my excitement to see and get Ghost Hound, especially with ANN counterbalancing it with a stellar mark (nothing and no one will change that until I see it for myself), but it doesn’t diminish my opinion of Chris either. Chris is a very good reviewer looking at the entire scope of his reviews - I believe he is still the best in the entire industry - though I preferred his older reviews (Kaze mediocrity getting B+ was a surprise…). But this one certainly raises eyebrows, considering everyone else especially harsher critics gave it high marks. A review at the end of the day is just one opinion, although in these cases ANN and Chris have a depth of knowledge and experience and the level of work they put into a review is respectable.

Psychological and thinking type series usually always divide people - some always find them slow or some find them brilliant. I guess this is one of those instances.

Cody agree with you with the price hoopla. I mean yeah, obviously this is more expensive - but I don’t find it so out of the norm that it’s something to raise a big stink about, so, I don’t agree the criticism on the price, especially since he has long advocated VALUE independent to each series. Not every series is the same in quality and value. Obviously cheaper will get more sales, but these sorts of titles have limited sales capacity (Kino anyone?), coupled with the expensive license Sentai and Section23 likely decided on a price that would get them the best ratio. This is Indian Summer part 2 again, price reduction of that/this will increase sales marginally only. Those who want to get it cheaper can always wait for the complete set. It’s a good strategy to hit both demographics. But it comes down to value judgement anyway. If it’s a series (One) likes, price isn’t an issue, if it isn’t then it is.

I think its one of those different strokes for different folks shows.:stuck_out_tongue:

New info: Ghost Hound will be premiering on the Online Player this week as well (not in November as previously stated)!