Kurenai/Kure-nai

Kurenai/Kure-nai

Back Cover:

Genres: action, drama, romance
Themes: incest, martial arts, school
Objectionable content: Intense
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2008-04-03 to 2008-06-19

Plot Summary: Sixteen-year-old Shinkurō Kurenai is an authority in settling disputes between people, and finds his life turned upside down one day when he is assigned as a bodyguard for Murasaki Kuhōin, the daughter of a powerful plutocratic family.

ANN Info Page

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “KURENAI”

HOUSTON, February 23, 2012— Sentai Filmworks is pleased to announce the licensing of KURENAI, the 12 episode series that pits a seven-year-old heiress and her teenage bodyguard against her own family. Based on the light novels by Kentaro Katayama with illustrations by Yamoto Yamamoto, the series features direction and script supervision by Kou Matsuo (Rozen Maiden, Yozakura Quartet) and character designs by Kumi Ishii (Rozen Maiden, Oreimo).

He’s only a teenager, but Kurenai Shinkurou is already both a master of an arcane martial art and an experienced professional mediator with a long track record of resolving disputes. Not bad for someone who’s just sixteen and still in school, but everyone has their limits and Kurenai may have met his when his boss and role model, Benika, responds to his request for a more challenging assignment by giving him the task of protecting young Murasaki Kuhoin. Never mind that she’s only seven, the fact that the people Kurenai’s supposed to protect her from are her own very rich and extremely powerful family is guaranteed to take this job into the danger zone. Now the heat is on and Kurenai’s scrambling to put out as many fires as he can, even as the secrets surrounding his young charge bring everything else to a flashpoint in KURENAI!

KURENAI will be available digitally soon, with a home video release on subtitled DVD scheduled for later this year.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube.

Kure-nai (OAV) Vintage: 2010-07-02

The cover art has been posted.

Lol… It looks like Pup forgot to come back and fill out the first post. Anyway, very nice cover art. The border is a little off, but I appreciate the picture cram effect and the main image is nice. The art actually encourages me and I will probably be picking this up.

sigh That man… :S

Meh

So i finished this one up a couple of days ago and I have to say that I was pretty impressed. The show has some endearing slice of life elements at first, but slowly grows darker and more serious as it goes along. It’s also got some interesting action and sci-fi elements as well.

There were a couple downsides though. First of all, the show attempts to do some good looking action scenes, but sadly just didn’t have the budget to do so. Some of the fight scenes come across looking awkward and clumsy. Also, Sentai’s DVDs aren’t the best looking. There are a lot of lines going through characters when there is a lot of movement. However, I can’t tell if that was due to poor encoding or bad digital masters.

Regardless, the show was very enjoyable. I’m glad that I blind bought it based on the cover art…lol

Episode 01 is now LIVE on TAN!

Well shoot, after hearing from ANN that this show wasn’t just another moe-blob slice-of-life with no purpose (besides pandering), I was going to check it out. Good thing that I didn’t try to, as it didn’t make it here until just now??! Over a month after the RightStuf sub-only DVD release date?

Why such a delay, it isn’t as though it had a dub…?

You could blame VoD, as it’s showing there as well.

Just watched Episode 1 and I found it to be a little on the strange side. But I am looking forward to more!

Episode 2 –

spoiler

I’m getting a better feel for this one now. It seems Shinkuro has a tragic past that gives him nightmares. Perhaps this is what will make him a good protector for Murasaki.

Murasaki meets her neighbors and tells them that Shinkuro is her servant! That was funny and so was the bathhouse scene. Murasaki must learn to live a normal life without taking things for granted. It was sweet to see her learn to say a simple “thank you”. And it seems that Shinkuro hasn’t yet figured out that Murasaki is the missing Kuhoin girl, although it’s kind of obvious by now.

Shinkuro hits Murasaki to teach her a lesson and she doesn’t mind, saying when her stepmother hit her, it was “scary”. Shinkuro buys Murasaki a new bed and she thanks him in the cutest way. He tries to explain that there are different sides to people. And this becomes evident when he takes on his “Problem Fixer” role. I wonder how he got to be so strong. He managed to take out four thugs by himself without hurting himself too badly. He does seem a bit torn between doing his job and watching over Murasaki though.

Back at the Kuhoin estate, Renjo seems to have really been in love with Murasaki’s mother although he couldn’t marry her and was forced to marry another for the sake of the family. Perhaps he thinks that Murasaki might be better off with Benika after all. I can’t wait to see how this story develops and Murasaki is just the cutest little girl!!