Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit / Seirei no Moribito

A very satisfying final 2 episodes. I was worried the series was starting to falter during the middle to middle end portions where the story seemed to go in circles, but these last 2 and indeed last night’s final episode were very strong. I have no want for the ending - it’s been a long, long road to get to this point with the licensing problem and hiatus, but it has been worth the wait.

Easily the best anime on broadcast TV since Death Note and Eureka 7. It’s a shame the storyline lost its path (in my opinion) and became rather simple. If the story had the complexity and epic details of say Fushigi Yugi or Twelve Kingdoms, like early on, could have been Masterpiece level series - despite in my view, low replay value. Still despite its flaws, the execution was superb and the dialogue expertly crafted and adapted. Excellent series in all. If only those middle parts… :stuck_out_tongue:

While it’s kind of unfair to compare this to recent dubs (due to when this dub was done by Geneon and Bangzoom, and considering the circumstances that was at play with it), if one is to consider this as a new release, as far as I’m concerned Moribito and Code Geass shine as the most impressive dub productions of the year in terms of quality, and scope.

The ending was so very bittersweet…

spoiler

Tanda telling Chagum to get in the litter and ride, instead of helping him limp along, that it was embarrassing the litter-bearers. And Chagum saying it didn’t matter to him, he wanted to help his friend; did he even have any friends before?

And when they got to the gate, and he ran ahead to see his mother – I think Balsa was the only one that knew they’d probably never see Chagum again.

I had to laugh at Torogai saying that she was going to drink all the liquor they had in the palace – I think she could do it!! (And her little bunny in the basket when they were in the hot springs, how cute!)

When Chagum went to his brother’s room and the bird’s perch was there, empty, I totally lost it… I’m such a baby about this stuff. And then the head tutor was in the background, as sort of an apology, as if he’d let Chagum down.

I’m wondering if the Mikado himself ever had any friends, so perhaps he doesn’t understand why Chagum won’t forget Balsa and everyone else he came into contact with on his ‘adventure’. It would be a tough concept when you haven’t experienced it first hand. Apparently, he thinks giving out rewards is a fair trade for keeping his son safe and love has no place.

I, too, knew that Chagum would be waiting ‘off to the right’ at the end. Besides, did we really think that Balsa was going to leave without her spear? She smartly conned him into making his own decision about staying.

I liked everything about this anime; the voices, the music, the look, the feel, just everything. And even though I may never watch it again, I’ll probably buy it so I can show it to other people. It’s a good first anime for others.

Rightstuf has the Economy set that Walmart had for $19.99 this week.
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit DVD Complete Collection (Hyb)

Really thin stackpack like about a case and half thickness. Hub is really secure and seems like there would be very little chance of disc coming off or getting scratched except by consumer fault. Plus yes it’s all the same 8 disc as the singles for $19.99.

Might have to get that, thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile:

I own this set. Besides my hate of this type of packaging, this show is a must buy and a steal at this price.

Moribito coming to BD next year

posted on 2010-11-22 04:17

Viz Media Adds Moribito Fantasy Anime Series

posted on 2014-01-08 12:52 EST
Kenji Kamiyama/I.G’s 2007 series to stream on Neon Alley starting this month

Sentai License Announcement in September 2020 Slate

2020-06-18T05:00:00Z

2 Likes

Complete Collection Cover/Disc Art

Blu-ray

1 Like

Sentai License Announcement