Persona (anime franchise)

I got my dub only bluray order in, something to put on the shelf next to my copy of the fighting game.

[size=15]P4 Cast[/size]

[b][b]English Voice Director & ADR Script: Kristi Reed
English Vocal Cast:

• Johnny Yong Bosch
  • Yuri Lowenthal
  • Erin Fitzgerald
  • Amanda Winn Lee
  • Karen Strassman
  • Sam Riegel
  • Michelle Ann Dunphy
  • Troy Baker
    English Adaptation Produced by BANG ZOOM! ENTERTAINMENT[/b][/b]

Via FP by BalmungHHQ:
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?13888-1-amp-Only-Cast-Announcements-and-Rumors-Thread&p=128761&viewfull=1#post128761

[quote=BalmungHHQ]Got my release of Persona 4 the Animation in today and went through all the episodes and complied the full cast list of the dub:
English Cast
Yu Narukami: Johnny Yong Bosch
Yosuke Hanamura: Yuri Lowenthal
Chie Satonaka: Erin Fitzgerald
Yukiko Amagi: Amanda Winn Lee
Kanji Tatsumi: Troy Baker
Nanako Dojima: Karen Strassman
Teddie: Sam Reigel
Margaret: Michelle Ann Dunphy
Saki Konishi: Jessica Strauss
Mitsuo Kubo: Kyle Hebert
Kinshiro Morooka: Kirk Thornton
Aika Nakamura: Cassandra Lee
Kou Ichijo: Vic Mignogna
Ai Ebihara: Julie Ann Taylor
Daisuke Nagase: David Vincent
Naoki Konishi: Derek Stephen Prince

Additional Voices:
J.C. Miller
Bobby Thong
Victor Sgroi
Erika Harlacher
Amanda Lee
Amanda Kay

STAFF
English Adaptation Produced by BANG ZOOM! ENTERTAINMENT
Producers: Eric P. Sherman, Kaeko Sakamoto
Supervising ADR Producer: Keith Arem
Talent Production Coordinator: Valerie Arem
Casting & Talent Coordination: PCB Productions
Co-Producer: Mami Okada
Assistant Producer: Mio Moroe
English Voice Director/ADR Script Writer: Kristi Reed
Additional Casting: Mami Okada
Sound Supervisor: Patrick Rodman, CAS
Re-Recording Mixer: Mike Brooks
Recording Engineer/Dialogue Editor: Ricardo Watson
Production Manager: Korzu Taplin
Production Assistants: Erika Harlacher, Jermaine Gill
Spotting: Emily Nicholas, Joseph Medina, Clark Cheng

It seems a few actors have chosen to go uncredited for their characters, but after listening through for scenes with those characters I can confidently say that I believe that all the uncredited characters still have the same VAs as the game. (With the exception of Naoto, who sounds different to my ears, though this is debatable so donā€™t take it as factā€¦ it could possibly still be the game actress, just playing the character differently. Not that anyone knows for certain who the game actress is anyway, since the game didnā€™t credit the VAs.)[/quote]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-01/persona-4-anime-on-demand-promo-previews-english-dub
[size=20]Persona 4 Animeā€™s On Demand Promo Previews English Dub[/size]
posted on 2012-09-01 03:05 EDT

PlayStation 2 gameā€™s voice cast returns for Sentai Filmworksā€™ dub

The Anime Network uploaded the commercial for its on-demand release of Sentai Filmworksā€™ Persona 4 dub on Friday. Most of the PlayStation 2 video gameā€™s English dub cast is returning to voice their respective characters in the anime series.

The North American anime licensing company Sentai Filmworks announced its acquisition of the anime last September. It then announced in July that its Blu-ray Disc collection will be English dub only, due to Japanese licensor requirements. The DVD version will contain both audio tracks.

Sentai Filmworks will release the Persona 4 Collection 1 set on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on September 18.

Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m just not feeling this dub. It doesnā€™t sound as though the voices are truly coming ā€œfrom the charactersā€. It has that traditional dub-out-of-context, ā€œ4 beeps now read this line and sound angryā€ disconnect.

That said, itā€™s pretty good for a Bang/Zoom dub. Itā€™s more like Fate/Unlimited than PMMM (ā€œfor realzā€), but it just lacks something that Sentai dubs have. Zazz. It lacks zazz. IMO it got beaten into next week by the Steins;Gate dub too, which is impressive. Is it coincidence that the Sendai-commissioned B/Z dubs are better than the non-Sentai ones? :wink:

As for the show itself, well I have no real experience with the franchise (besides knowing that it reminds me faintly of Mai-Hime) so Iā€™m still wondering how much sense itā€™ll make, but I can say that the Persona 4 fighting game makes MUCH more sense now that Iā€™ve seen a few eps of this :smiley:

Iā€™m not usually one to be picky, but not ALL the voices actors are the same as the PS2 gameā€™s. For example, the one they chose for the preview; the voice of Chie Satonaka wasnā€™t Erin Fitzgerald in the game. So saying ā€œPlayStation 2 gameā€™s voice cast returns for Sentai Filmworksā€™ dubā€ would be just slightly incorrect. Also, she pronounced ā€œPersonaā€ wrong in the preview. She seemed to do a good job in Persona 4 Arena though.

Iā€™ll stil eventually buy the dub; perhaps if they decide to release the whole thing in one collection. Iā€™m not a big fan of watching half a show and then waiting for the other half.

[quote=ā€œHornet65ā€]Iā€™m not usually one to be picky, but not ALL the voices actors are the same as the PS2 gameā€™s. For example, the one they chose for the preview; the voice of Chie Satonaka wasnā€™t Erin Fitzgerald in the game. So saying ā€œPlayStation 2 gameā€™s voice cast returns for Sentai Filmworksā€™ dubā€ would be just slightly incorrect. Also, she pronounced ā€œPersonaā€ wrong in the preview. She seemed to do a good job in Persona 4 Arena though.

Iā€™ll still eventually buy the dub; perhaps if they decide to release the whole thing in one collection. Iā€™m not a big fan of watching half a show and then waiting for the other half.[/quote]

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s inaccurate at all. They didnā€™t say that the whole PS2 cast was returning, did they? Teddie was apparently not Sam Riegel in the game either, but Iā€™m convinced that it is better this way. BTW they seem to be pronouncing ā€œpersonaā€ just fine in the dub itself. Iā€™m also enjoying this one a lot more than the somewhat similar Sword Art Online, and not just because of the dub (though SAO will become a helluva lot better with a dub, especially if it gives the tsundere a soulā€¦)

Which reminds me, now that Iā€™ve seen a bulk of the Blu-Ray, I have to change my stance on the dub, this is one of, if not the, best Bang/Zoom dub ever. Some of the lines, which werenā€™t/arenā€™t in the Japanese dub, are great. Itā€™s almost like Stephen Foster did some consulting for them on this one :silly: :laugh:

[size=16]Watch Persona 4: The Animation On Anime Network Online[/size]

[url=http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/You-re-Myself-I-m-Yourself/Watch]![](upload://6M3UHU5l5I6GFlskL5i3BdHRDG.jpg)[/url] [b]Episode 01 (Dub) is now LIVE![/b]

I really wish I had a blu-ray drive for my computer, and perhaps some blu-ray software to go with that. Then I would buy the blu-ray version of this :frowning:

EDIT: Well, I fixed that problemā€¦ :slight_smile: but now Iā€™m all sweaty :unsure:

Iā€™m pretty sure it has become one of those ā€œnot againā€¦ā€ type of question but here it goes : I played Persona 3 but havenā€™t played yet Persona 4, is the storyline in both the game and the anime the same ?

Iā€™m on the fence about seeing this show since I really wanted to play the game before starting the series. Unfortunately, the game has been residing in the Backlog of Doom for way too long. After seeing only the first episode on VOD, all the elements found in Persona 3 like the music, the characters (even the frickinā€™ calender !) activated my nostalgia switch.

So, is watching the show going to eventually spoil the video game ? I suspect that all of the characters and main plot elements are the same in both the game and the show but maybe itā€™s one of those adaptation (like the first Full Metal Alchemist series was to the manga) and both are two different stories with having only the basic elements in common.

[quote=ā€œHornet65ā€]I really wish I had a blu-ray drive for my computer, and perhaps some blu-ray software to go with that. Then I would buy the blu-ray version of this :frowning:

EDIT: Well, I fixed that problemā€¦ :slight_smile: but now Iā€™m all sweaty :unsure:[/quote]

Awwwā€¦ well, you sometimes have to suffer for your art. Now, hit the showers!

[quote=ā€œSensei Terry Silverā€]Iā€™m pretty sure it has become one of those ā€œnot againā€¦ā€ type of question but here it goes : I played Persona 3 but havenā€™t played yet Persona 4, is the storyline in both the game and the anime the same ?

Iā€™m on the fence about seeing this show since I really wanted to play the game before starting the series. Unfortunately, the game has been residing in the Backlog of Doom for way too long. After seeing only the first episode on VOD, all the elements found in Persona 3 like the music, the characters (even the frickinā€™ calender !) activated my nostalgia switch.

So, is watching the show going to eventually spoil the video game ? I suspect that all of the characters and main plot elements are the same in both the game and the show but maybe itā€™s one of those adaptation (like the first Full Metal Alchemist series was to the manga) and both are two different stories with having only the basic elements in common.[/quote]

Watch the anime, spoil the game. Play the game, spoil the anime.

From what I read, the game does have multiple endings, so there may be some elements that might be different when watching it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-28/sentai-filmworks-licenses-fate/stay-night-tv-anime
[size=20]Persona 4: The Animation Part 2 release for Jan.[/size]

Sentai Filmworks will also release the second half of the Persona 4 The Animation television anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD in January. Similarly to the release of the first half of the series, the Blu-ray Disc release will omit the original Japanese audio track.

Alright, I now know when I can finish this show off.

This show is totally ridiculous and is loaded with a whole host of elements that normally turn me off from a show (eg:bland main character with popularity and awesome skills that is obviously supposed to be a stand-in for the viewer, lots of filler) but it is hilarious and Iā€™m actually enjoying it.

Iā€™m almost done the first release (finished the first blu-ray) and they have made next to 0 progress in solving the mystery, theyā€™ve just had the main character going around and solving peopleā€™s problems, like a much better Clannad, but it has still been fun. Best Bang/Zoom dub ever, seriously: No honorifics, natural translations, no screwy Japanese humor trying to be shoehorned in, some great modified lines and the dub even almost sounds natural.

The Persona 4 fighting game makes a lot more sense now, Iā€™ll say that much. Also, the episodes of Blueā€™s Clues that I remember watching have suddenly become funnier, and made this show funnier. Comedic synergy FTW. :wink:

Collection 2 cover art has been posted.

The ā€œteen age detectiveā€ (I forget if they ever gave him a name) sure had a wierd voice, it sounded like a girl trying to do a male voice and coming off a little like the Major from GITS.

Sounded like a girl you say? :laugh:

[quote=ā€œTheCoffeeGodā€]Via FP by BalmungHHQ:
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?13888-1-amp-Only-Cast-Announcements-and-Rumors-Thread&p=128761&viewfull=1#post128761

Got my release of Persona 4 the Animation in today and went through all the episodes and complied the full castlist of the dub:

Yu Narukami: Johnny Yong Bosch
Yosuke Hanamura: Yuri Lowenthal
Chie Satonaka: Erin Fitzgerald
Yukiko Amagi: Amanda Winn Lee
Kanji Tatsumi: Troy Baker
Nanako Dojima: Karen Strassman
Teddie: Sam Reigel
Margaret: Michelle Ann Dunphy
Saki Konishi: Jessica Strauss
Mitsuo Kubo: Kyle Hebert
Kinshiro Morooka: Kirk Thornton
Aika Nakamura: Cassandra Lee
Kou Ichijo: Vic Mignogna
Ai Ebihara: Julie Ann Taylor
Daisuke Nagase: David Vincent
Naoki Konishi: Derek Stephen Prince

Additional Voices:
J.C. Miller
Bobby Thong
Victor Sgroi
Erika Harlacher
Amanda Lee
Amanda Kay

It seems a few actors have chosen to go uncredited for their characters, but after listening through for scenes with those characters I can confidently say that I believe that all the uncredited characters still have the same VAs as the game. (With the exception of Naoto, who sounds different to my ears, though this is debatable so donā€™t take it as factā€¦ it could possibly still be the game actress, just playing the character differently. Not that anyone knows for certain who the game actress is anyway, since the game didnā€™t credit the VAs.)
New Credit Additions:
Main Cast:
Kanji Tatsumi: Matthew Mercer (voice replacement)
Ryotaro Dojima: John White (same voice as the first set, but heā€™s credited on this release)
Eri Minami: Valerie Arem (eps 13, 14, 26)
Sayoko Uehara: Wendee Lee (eps 13, 14, 26)
Master Daidara: Chris Smith (eps 13)

New Additionals:
Rachelle Heger
David Lepore

All other new characters on this release go uncredited, but I believe most of them have the same VAs as the game.[/quote]

Source: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?13888-1-amp-Only-Cast-Announcements-and-Rumors-Thread&p=156863&viewfull=1#post156863

We lost Troy Baker?! Thatā€™s saddening.

Persona 4 has been a frustrating franchise for me as first I discovered that some of the best characters from Persona 4 Arena (the fighting game for 360/PS3) are not in Persona 4: The Animation, and now I discover that one of the best non-Sentai anime voice actors has been replaced by an actor who just doesnā€™t compare.

Oh well, at least it is still a standout bang/zoom dub. My BD came yesterday, Iā€™ll eventually get around to watching 'em.

Well, although I donā€™t know names It is going to stink losing Kanjiā€™s original English VA, that guy managed to portray Kanji-kun perfectly.

@celestial_being: Well, I havenā€™t played Persona 4: Arena (Iā€™m not a fan of fighting games in general, and the concept for it didnā€™t click with me) I am fairly familiar with most of the Shin Megami Tensei titles, including the Persona series. If you could tell me the names of the chars from P4:A that you liked and havenā€™t seen in P4 I can probably tell you where they are from, as I remember hearing that they had also included a few from P3. The only definite exception to that would be if they had someone using Orpheus/Orpheus Telos, as Orpheus is the MCā€™s start Persona in P3 (Orpheus Telos is his ultra-powered form, and stat-wise the most powerful persona in P3), and for those who arenā€™t familiar with SMT titles, the MC doesnā€™t normally have a default name and P3 didnā€™t break that tradition.