Record of Lodoss War / Lodoss Tō Senki

OVA is BD / DVD combo. Chronicles is DVD only. I’m really disappointed though, if any title needed to be redubbed, it’s this one because the dub kind of sucks, imo.

Edit: only 1 title left on my upgrade to Blu-Ray list, and only Sentai / Section 23 can make it happen…

The Record of Lodoss War – Coming Soon

Damn it, while I love the series, and watch it subtitled, the dub just sucks, and I really wish Funimation had released it with a new updated dub.

Lodoss Creator’s Record of Grancrest War Anime Announces Cast, Staff, January Debut

posted on 2017-05-30 10:45 EDT
Kentarō Kumagai, Akari Kitō star in fantasy TV series

Record of Grancrest War Anime’s 1st Promo Reveals Cast, January Premiere

posted on 2017-06-28 10:00 EDT
Yūichi Nakamura, Reina Ueda, Satoshi Hino, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, more join cast

1 Like

I actually like the Record of Lodoss War dub, believe it or not… the OVA dub, that is. The OVA dub has a few rough moments, but it’s nowhere nearly as bad as most dubs from around its era. Compared to the likes of Garzey’s Wing, Manga UK’s output, M.D. Geist, and many others, LODOSS OVA isn’t anywhere nearly as offensive as those. That is to say, it’s not a perfect dub by any means, but it’s a passable effort for a 1996 production. Lisa Ortiz’s Deedlit is the best thing about it, although the principal characters are done fine IMO. It’s only the minor characters that have the weakest voices, but even then they’re not too bad. I understand that there are people who are divided on the Lodoss OVA dub, but I’ll always maintain it’s a decent dub considering the time it was made. It’s actually one of my favorites.

Central Park Media didn’t always create consistently great dubs, but despite their many misfires, I will always consider Lodoss OVA to be one of their first good dubs.

The Chronicle of the Heroic Knight dub, on the other hand… yes, that IS a rocky, problematic dub. I like that they reuse most of the cast from the original, but I was really bothered by several characters having vocal replacements for certain episodes (Lisa Ortiz’s Deedlit is replaced for two episodes!). That and there are indeed some performances that are quite bad, again from the minor characters. Even the least excellent voices in the OVA dub were nowhere nearly as grating as in the TV. In all fairness, Headline Sound did improve from Lodoss TV, as this was their first dub before they got into doing great jobs with His and Her Circumstances, Comic Party, Genshiken, Madara, and Shingu. Having said that, Crispin Freeman does turn in some good work as Spark, Maar, and Garrack, respectively. Flawed as the Lodoss TV dub is, it’s not the worst I’ve heard, but it is weaker than the OVA dub.

If anything about Lodoss needs to be redubbed it would be the worst parts of the TV dub. But the OVA dub I will always consider a classic. I look forward to seeing this show on BD.

Having said that the trailer is pretty underwhelming; showcasing the parts of the TV dub was a mistake – it will make viewers think the whole dub of Lodoss is worse than it actually is. The second half of the trailer – the OVA portion starting with Slayn saying “Hey, Parn! Get inside there!” is much better, although it does have the occasional stiff moment. Compared to the TV dub, however, it has far more life to it; Billy Regan’s Parn in particular sounds better in the OVA and far more energetic as opposed to his deadpan TV counterpart.

1 Like

Anime Expo 2017 - July 2, 2017
Aniplex Panel

12:05:15 < bay|AX|Aniplex> Record of Grancrest War
12:05:19 <bay|AX|Aniplex> by the writer of lodoss war
12:05:25 <bay|AX|Aniplex> more information soon

Aniplex USA Announces Record of Grancerest War

posted on 2017-07-02 16:00 EDT

The Record of Lodoss War – Available Now

Got my copy of the Funimation Release

-The Good OVA on Blu-Ray, with unaltered Endings and the Mycen Flyby at the end is restored (It was cut from the CPM version so they could do the End Credits)

BD cases have reversible covers (Parn / Deedlit for the OVA, and Spark / Neese for Chronicles)

The only complaint I have so far is that the box that contains the cases is really flimsy but has great art on it.

Edit after having watched a few episodes, The Next Episode Previews are absent from the OVA episodes. (I checked my old CPM copy) while it isn’t that big of deal I wonder why they weren’t included, unless they weren’t included in the materials Funimation received.

Edit 2: The Previews are included with the extras, which is odd, Why not include them in the Episodes themselves?

Record of Grancrest War Anime Casts Minori Suzuki, Megumi Nakajima

posted on 2017-08-24 00:00 EDT
Suzuki, Nakajima play werewolf twins Ema & Luna in January anime

ANN Review: Record of Lodoss War OVA + Chronicles Of The Heroic Knight TV Blu-Ray/DVD (OVA), DVD (TV)

by Theron Martin, Sep 1st 2017

Record of Grancrest War Anime Casts Yuko Kaida, Chika Anzai, Yumi Uchiyama, Kaede Hondo

posted on 2017-09-26 08:00 EDT
Anime of Ryo Mizuno’s light novel series premieres January

Record of Grancrest War Anime’s English-Subtitled Trailer Streamed

posted on 2017-10-19 19:15 EDT
Aniplex USA to release fantasy anime

1 Like

I am so looking forward to this: only downside is that Anipolex USA has this lol

Record of Grancrest War Anime Reveals 2nd Promo Video, New Visual, 3 More Cast Members

posted on 2017-10-21 03:55 EDT
Satoshi Mikami, Ayane Sakura, Ari Ozawa join cast for series premiering in January

1 Like

Mashiro Ayano Performs Record of Grancrest War Anime’s Opening Theme

posted on 2017-11-03 12:42 EDT
Series based on novels by Record of Lodoss War writer premieres in January

It better be as epic as Sea of Miracles (Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight OP)

1 Like

Just a heads up:

The Seven Seas Release of Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch Hardcover has been pushed back to December.

http://www.sevenseasentertainment.com/books/record-of-lodoss-war-the-grey-witch-gold-edition/

ASCA Performs Record of Grancrest War Anime’s Ending Theme

posted on 2017-11-30 14:05 EST
Series based on novels by Record of Lodoss War writer premieres in January

The Quest Begins For “Record of Grancrest War” On January 05, 2018

December 12, 2017 6:45am CST
TV anime is based on the series of fantasy light novels written by Ryo Mizuno (“Record of Lodoss War”)