RightStuf Link
Chrono Crusade Products

ANN Info Page

[quote]Genres: action, comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: demons, exorcists, girls with guns, religion, shapeshifting
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 24
Vintage: 2003-11-24 to 2004-06-10

Plot Summary: The year is 1928 A.D. The place is New York, U.S.A. The economic prosperity brought forth after the Great War also heightened the presence of something far darker and much more sinister: the demonic Sinners. The Magdalene Order is an organization that tries to counter this force. Two of its exorcists are Rosette Christopher and her assistant, Chrono. Both appear out of place in an organization like this, and they are in a quest to find Rosette’s missing brother, Joshua. Their relationships, secrets and fates can only be revealed in time…[/quote]

Finished up this series last month.

Though I wasn’t too sure what I was getting into since this was a blind buy, I winded up really enjoying this one. The overall story was fairly complex with lots of backstory to tie in all the main characters along with a strong emotional ending. That is probably what I loved most about it, the last 6 or so episodes winded up being fairly heart wrenching.

The Chrono Crusde 2008 Holiday Collection is part of the Right Stuf 12 Days of Christmas sale. This release normally retails for $90, and right now you can get it for $30!

Chrono Crusade Complete Collection DVD (Hyb) Holiday Edition

This is a great price for a great series. It includes all seven of the original singles release discs in a brick, and includes all on disc extras that came with the first release. The cover may not be for everyone, but it’s still the best way to get this show, if you want all the extras.

I never really got into Chrono Crusade that much. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good anime, but never really care too much about it.

I only own vol 1 but I’ve seen most of the series on Showtime Beyond in the past and really enjoyed it. I might just go after the boxset for that great price. I bet not even the volumes sold by various sellers at Amazon equal that.

…

This just in…they’re not.

Chrono is my favorite anime, and I try to watch it at least once a year. But despite having seen it in it’s entirety at least three times, I still can’t watch the last episode without tearing up.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Chrono is my favorite anime, and I try to watch it at least once a year. But despite having seen it in it’s entirety at least three times, I still can’t watch the last episode without tearing up.[/quote]

It makes you feel the series is taking you for a ride, like you’re right along with it. It’s great to feel emotion.

[quote=Snowy_Stampede]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Chrono is my favorite anime, and I try to watch it at least once a year. But despite having seen it in its entirety at least three times, I still can’t watch the last episode without tearing up.[/quote]

It makes you feel the series is taking you for a ride, like you’re right along with it. It’s great to feel emotion.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more!

I never really got to watch the whole thing but I enjoyed it and I got the christmas edition that came out last year. I did see the ending though. :frowning:

I would love this series to come out in blu-ray.

[quote=chrisc]
I would love this series to come out in blu-ray.[/quote]

Maybe you could buy it on DVD and put it on BluRay yourself…

Chrono Crusade wouldn’t benefit much from a bluray release. The series was not produced in HD, so you could get comparable video quality from just using a good upconvert DVD player. With the exception of cell-animated films, non-HD materials really don’t get much of a boost from Bluray. I’ve watched quite a few older films in Bluray, and they really don’t look much better than the DVDs.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Chrono Crusade wouldn’t benefit much from a bluray release. The series was not produced in HD, so you could get comparable video quality from just using a good upconvert DVD player. With the exception of cell-animated films, non-HD materials really don’t get much of a boost from Bluray. I’ve watched quite a few older films in Bluray, and they really don’t look much better than the DVDs.[/quote]

Beautifully said cody. I’m surprised people still don’t still get this. -_-

[quote=dragoon]

[quote=dragonrider_cody]
Chrono Crusade wouldn’t benefit much from a bluray release. The series was not produced in HD, so you could get comparable video quality from just using a good upconvert DVD player. With the exception of cell-animated films, non-HD materials really don’t get much of a boost from Bluray. I’ve watched quite a few older films in Bluray, and they really don’t look much better than the DVDs.[/quote]

Beautifully said cody. I’m surprised people still don’t still get this. -_-[/quote]

Because some people believe what they have been told by big business. =P

Wicca and I are planning a group viewing of Chrono Crusade. This will be her first viewing of the show (and my fourth or fifth.) We will beginning on Sunday 4/18 and will be averaging about four episodes a day. The schedule is below, if anyone else is interested in joining in.

Sunday, April 18th: Eps. 1-4
Monday, April 19th: Eps 5-8
Tuesday, April 20th: Eps 9-12
Wednesday, April 21st: Eps 13-16
Thursday, April 22nd: break for VOD and OP catch up
Friday, April 23rd: break for VOD and OP catch up
Saturday, April 24th: Eps 17-20
Sunday, April 25th: Eps 21-24

So 4 episodes a day, with Thursday and Friday off to catch up on VOD and the Online Player. If anyone is interested, let us know.

Thought I would post this as well. As many of you may know, when ADV brought Chrono Crusade over, there was a lot of complaining from certain sections of fandom over how they chose to correct the word “Chrono”. In the original Japanese release, there was a typo and it was released as “Chrno Crusade”.

Despite the fact that the Daisuke Moriyama stated it was a mistake and was always meant to be Chrono, and despite the fact that the Japanese publishers later apologized for the mistake, some fans believed ADV had been wrong in honoring Moriyama’s wishes and correcting the spelling of the word.

With that in mind:

Via wiki

Just thought it was a little funny. And it looks like I may have some more stuff to hunt to add to my Chrono Collection…

I loved those video games. In fact, Chrono Cross is still one of my favorites.

So, I just finished up Volume 1 (Episodes 1-4), and I have to say I had forgotten how funny the early episodes were at times. There were tons of several laugh out loud moments in these first few episodes. For instance, the end of episode one when they crash into Ellis Island is hilarious. John Swasey as the pervy old guy is great too!

I love the scripting and dialogue for this show. Matt Greenfield and the other staff at ADV spent a lot of time conducting research into the 1920’s to make the show feel authentic, and it definitely shows. They went out of their way to use slang and terms from the era. That attention to detail is not something you see too often in anime dubbing.

Greg Ayres is excellent as Chrono and he fit the character from the get go. Hilary Haag puts in a strong performance, though it takes en episode or two for her to get Rosette down pat. But from episode 3 and on, she does an excellent job. And nobody could pull of Azmaria like Jessica Boone. I will miss hearing her voices in ADV dubs.

As for the story itself, I like how it jumped straight into the action and only gave us brief introductions to the characters. It isn’t until episode 2 that you learn how Rosette and Chrono came to know each other. It will be even further in the series before you learn how they became bonded together, and how Joshua ties into everything.

I also loved the number of extras we got on this disc. First, you had the original opening for episodes 1-4, because they were slightly different than the openings for the later episodes. You also had Azmaria’s Extra Classes, which explain some of the history of American in the 1920’s and occult themes behind the show. There were also some excellent pieces of production art, as well as a type of “digital newspaper”, the Chrono Crusade Chronicle. It gives some basic notes about the characters and series, and is a cute addition.

My favorite extra however, is the commentary. Volume 1 features a commentary on Episode 1 with ADR Director Matt Greenfield, and Greg Ayres (Chrono) and Hilary Haag (Rosette). It really gives a great look behind the scenes of the English production and the work involved in it’s creation. They two VA’s discuss how Chrono was one of the hardest series they had ever dubbed and how they had both lost their voices at times due to the amount of screaming involved.

Another part of the commentary that I enjoyed, also happened to be a bit sad, especially given what happened to ADV over the past few years and their primary focus now on subtitled only releases. Matt mentions how at the time (2004) they were releasing nearly 30 DVDs a month, and were producing over a dozen dubs at a time. He then later mentions how as busy as they are, it’s amazing they are still able to get as much quality from the productions as they are. It is such a departure from where anime is today. Even Funimation isn’t producing dubs on that level, and even when they got close, it was quite obvious that their quality suffered. Though ADV did have the added bonus of having two production studios at the time. It brought back a bit of nostalgia for how things use to be, and with that, the accompanying sadness.

It’s been almost two years since I last watched Chrono Crusade. After all this time, my love for the show hasn’t diminished. I found myself smiling during most of the first four episodes, even when they took a more serious turn. It was like being reunited with an old friend.

Now this would be a more perfect choice to do a live action film, than say something Japanese oriented show like Bleach or NGE. CT is already a western-esque show to begin with. Gunsmith Cats, Bebop, and Noir would also make better choices.

I have to agree there. Chrono Crusade would make an excellent live action film. Though it would probably take at least two films to full tell the story. Personally, I think Kristen Bell would make an awesome Rosette.

First of all, thank you Cody for turning me on to this show. I love it! So much so, that I watched today’s episodes twice. I got too caught up in things the first time and forgot everything else. So, I needed to watch it again. The music is lovely and the OP & ED are really wonderful, but I especially enjoyed the ending song. The translated words are beautiful.

Theses first episodes were really good. I also like how it jumps right into the action and I like the initial relationship between the characters. At first I thought Chrono was a little bullied, but it works, because I see there is more underneath that, some of which was revealed in the later episodes. And Rosette can’t drive for beans!

I love the blend of humor and seriousness. The monsters are scary and not in the least comical. The story is set up really well, although as you say the characters are only introduced briefly in the first episode. I do love all of the characters so far. Even the bad guys just seem to “fit”.

You are right when you say that they did plenty of research for the era and gave great attention to detail. The realism is really excellent for the period. Even the way Rosette cusses is cute – “applesauce!” I like the way the story is building and I have a feeling where it might go, but the journey is going to be worth every minute. I also love the hint of mystery. I got teased with tidbits of things and I can’t wait to learn more!

I too enjoyed the commentary very much. It was great hearing about all the behind the scenes stuff and what the actors thought about their parts. I got caught up in all the other extras as well. In fact, I think I enjoyed the original OP even more than the one shown with the episodes. The show is really great and I truly look forward to watching the rest. I’m also really glad that I could watch it for my first time with someone. Things are always more fun when shared!

I also agree that this would make a great live action film. It has all the right elements and they could film it right on location in NY – it would be a blast!