Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars / Gakuen Senki Muryo

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars / Gakuen Senki Muryo

Genres: adventure, science fiction
Themes: aliens, school, superpowers
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: The day after an apparent alien invasion of Tokyo is repelled by a mysterious being, middle schooler Murata Hajime discovers that his small town holds a strange secret when he witnesses transfer student Subaru Muryou fight another student using psychic powers. Since Hajime himself is relatively new to his town, he has been unaware that the leading families have been protecting the earth from alien invasion for centuries by using the ability of “Shingu,” and that the current members of the middle school student council are also the chosen guardians of this generation. He also begins to discover that many of the town’s residents are in fact intergalactic diplomats. Hajime is drawn further into this open secret as his friendship with Muryou and the “chosen” teenagers – especially tomboy Moriyama Nayuta – deepens and as he begins to discover that he has a role to play in Earth’s future.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2001-05-08 to 2001-12-04

ANN Info Page

So what do you guys think of this show? So far this is a solid 9/10 for me. It’s very laid back, light hearted, slow paced, and upbeat. I think Dragoon called it “dignified”, and I would agree. It’s a calm, cool, and slower paced show, but I am really enjoying it. It’s not action packed, exiting, or edge-of-your seat riveting kinda show, but that doesn’t make it bad or anything, in fact I respect that.

It’s from Madhouse but it’s very more like their later series Allison & Lilia or Chance Pop Session in art style and animation. It’s colorful, it’s detailed (at times), it’s good looking, but nothing like their normal stuff, very different. Like the complete opposite of say Beck or Death Note which are very stylized, even more detailed, and darker colored. Also the dub is really great. It’s a great NYC dub, this is why I wish we could hear more dubs from that city. They really impress me some times.

Great series, I had to buy it back at holidays cause I couldn’t wait to see what happened after the Astral Deviation.

My hubby and I have been watching this…
Very entertaining; a little annoying with the unscheduled wait for the last 4-5 episodes, but we got over it and are now enjoying them.

We like the part of the story about Hajime’s father already being involved with the aliens all along.

I liked it, need to grab it someday…

I watched most of this show on my VOD channel, but when there had the episode mix ups, I went borrowed a friend’s copy to finish this up, since I wasn’t sure if they were gonna finish it and I just NEEDED to know what happened! :lol:

I was very impressed with this series from the beginning, I think partially because it was so different from the other things I was watching at the time, which were action shows. I really enjoyed ths characters and their development throughout the series. I was starting to get a little worried on the last 1/3 of the series, becuase I thought that all the questions would not get answered. I was pleasantly surprised and gratified by the way that the series wrapped up. I’m gonna have to buy this series some time soon.

I enjoyed this series, but isn’t it a RightStuf title?

Yeah it is. We’re putting anything that’s on Anime Network VOD here also. This is essentially a catch all sub-forum for ADV related stuff but also shows that are on Anime Network.

From the PR…

Right Stuf & Nozomi Entertainment Announce SHINGU: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD Thinpak Collection

Complete 26-episode series repriced to $29.99 & scheduled for May 3, 2011.

Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division are pleased to announce the SHINGU: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD Thinpak Collection will be repriced to $29.99 and rereleased on May 3, 2011.

The Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD Collection includes all 26 episodes of the anime series – plus video extras and a 44-page booklet with production notes, an interview with series director Tatsuo Sato, and more – housed in an art box. This release features both English and Japanese audio options, English-language subtitles and English on-screen translations.

Shingu is an original story created, written and directed by Tatsuo Sato (Martian Successor Nadesico, Azumanga Daioh) and animated by Madhouse (Animatrix, Death Note, Paprika).

“…one of those hidden gems.” – AnimeOnDVD.com

Visit shingu.rightstuf.com for more information about Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, including character and creator profiles, downloads, and more.

About SHINGU: Secret of the Stellar Wars

Hajime Murata’s world is about to be turned upside down. First, an alien ship appears over Tokyo. Then, a mysterious new student named Muryou transfers to his school, and everything begins to change. Classmates suddenly begin to display psychic powers. A giant, white guardian faces off with alien creatures in the skies. And men with threatening weapons lurk in the shadows. With all these strange events taking place, can Hajime unravel the truth behind the world he thought he knew? The complete 26-episode series!

SHINGU: Secret of the Stellar Wars DVD Thinpak Collection
Pre-Book: 4/5/2011
Street Date: 5/3/2011
Runtime: Approximately 650 minutes, Dolby Digital Stereo, Color
Genre: Sci-Fi
Suggested Rating: 7+

Format: DVD (English, Japanese, English Subtitles, English On-Screen Translations)
Catalog #: RSDVD1146
ISBN: 1-57032-657-6
UPC: 7-42617-1146-2-5
SRP: $29.99

Discs/Set: 5
Case Qty: 14 / case

DVD Features:
Scene access, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio for English and Japanese dialogue, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. PLUS: Character bios, line art galleries, original production notes, textless opening, and Nozomi trailers. AND: A special, 44-page booklet with English production notes, an interview with Director Tatsuo Sato, and more!

Product specifications and content may be subject to change.

Great news, PP! I will have to pick this one up.

Great series, well worth buying.

And even better if you are a “Got Anime” member.

Yup B)

Crunchyroll to Stream “Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars”

January 15, 2016 6:16pm CST
Available today starting at 5:00pm Pacific Time

1 Like

Humanity Seeks Galactic Citizenship in Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars

March 14, 2018 10:00am CDT
“Cruising the Crunchy-Catalog” explores a 2001 science fiction TV anime with animation by Madhouse

Yes, I know I"m resurrecting a zombie thread–but I have a good reason. I just finished rewatching Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars and I have to say I enjoyed it more than I did the first time! The wildest thing is, I watched it on YouTube–legally! Nozomi Entertainment has posted many of their series on YT for general consumption. Now, they posted only the dub of Shingu, but even though I prefer subs normally, I thoroughly enjoyed this dub! I think that one reason I did is that it was dubbed in New York, just outside of NYC, so it wasn’t the same old voices.

YouTube did insert commercials in the episodes, but they were usually programmed to be inserted at natural breaks–between the opening credits and the first act, at the eyecatch, or between the end of the second act and the next episode preview. Also, unless they were the short “blipverts,” you could click out of them after five seconds. (Extra credits if you get the reference.)

I found that by binge watching the series, I could follow the plot better than when I watched it on Anime Network On Demand, so I appreciated it more than I did the first time I watched it. It is a bit slower paced than what you may be used to today and since it was produced in 2001, it’s in the 4:3 format, but it’s well worth watching. Since it is so easy to access, I happily recommend it to everyone.

2 Likes