Soul Eater/Soul Eater Not!

Soul Eater

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy
Themes: human weapons, school, shinigami, superpowers, Witches
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Set in the Shinigami technical school for weapon meisters, the series revolves around 3 groups of each a weapon meister and a human weapon. Trying to make the latter a “Death Scythe” and thus fit for use by the Shinigami, they must collect the souls of 99 evil humans and 1 witch.
Number of episodes: 51
Vintage: 2008-04-07 to 2009-03-30

ANN Info Page

Episodes on Adult Swim
  1. Resonance of the Soul ~ Soul = Eater, Becoming a Death Scythe?~(February 16, 2013)
  2. I’m Definitely a Star! ~The Extremely Big Man, Revealed Here?~ (February 23, 2013)
  3. Becoming the Perfect Boy? Death・The・Kid’s Magnificent Mission?~ (March 2, 2013)
  4. Witch Hunting Invocation!?~ Heart Throbbing■Graveyard Supplementary Class Lessons?~ (March 9, 2013)
  5. Soul’s Form ~ Strongest Meister Stein’s Entrance?~ (March 23, 2013)
  6. Freshman Gossip!~ Lots of Memories of Kid’s First Attendance at Shibusen?~(March 30, 2013)
  7. Black Blood of Terror〜 The Weapon Within Chrona?〜 (April 6, 2013)
  8. Witch Medusa〜 Great Evil Possessing One’s Soul?〜 (April 13, 2013)
  9. Holy Legendary Sword〜Kid and Black☆Star’s Big Adventure?〜 (April 20, 2013)
  10. Demon Blade Masamune〜 Torn Dependent Soul, Singing Heart’s Rain?〜(April 27, 2013)
  11. Tsubaki, the Camellia: What lies beyond Sadness? (May 4, 2013)
  12. Courage that is not Lost to Fear〜Maka=Albarn’s One Large Determination?〜 (May 11, 2013)
  13. Man’s Demon Eyes〜 Soul and Maka, the Gap of the Soul’s Wavelength?〜 (May 18, 2013)
  14. (Super) Written Test〜 Heart-Throbbing, Trembling, Nervous, Lies?〜 (May 25, 2013)
  15. Black Dragon that Eats Souls~ Cowardly Liz and Her Pleasant Companions?~(June 1, 2013)
  16. Clash on the ghost ship! ~ A hell inside my head! (June 8, 2013)
  17. Legend of the holy sword 2 ~ Drink, Hit, Buy, Virtue? (June 15, 2013)
  18. The nightmare of festival’s eve 〜And the curtain rises?〜 (June 22, 2013)
  19. Underground battle begins 〜Bust through Medusa’s Vector Arrow?〜 (June 29, 2013)
  20. The resonance battle of black blood 〜Facing fear, the small soul’s big struggle?〜 (July 6, 2013)
  21. Reach, soul of mine 〜The thirst of the heart inside unbearable solitude?〜 (July 13, 2013)
  22. Seal’s shrine 〜The trap left by the immortal man?〜 (July 20, 2013)
  23. Dead or alive! 〜The brink between resurrection and spellbound?〜 (July 27, 2013)
  24. Battle of the gods 〜Death City’s crisis of destruction?〜 (August 3, 2013)
  25. Death Scythes Summoned! Preventing Papa’s Personnel Changes!? (August 10, 2013)
  26. A Delightful and Shy School’s Entry Experience! Shibusen’s in the Midst of a New Life Fair’s Aid? (August 17, 2013)
  27. 800 Years of Murderous Intent: A Witch’s Descending Heresy? (August 24, 2013)
  28. Sword Saint Rises: A Sweet or a Salty Taste? (September 7, 2013)
  29. Medusa’s Revival! Spider and Snake, Fate’s Reunion? (September 14, 2013)
  30. Red Hot’s Runaway Express! The Demon Tool Left Behind by the Great Demon Guru? (September 21, 2013)
  31. Drying Happiness: To Whom do you Shed Tears in the Moonlight Shine? (September 28, 2013)
  32. Holy Legendary Sword 3: Sibson’s Gang Leader Tale? (October 5, 2013)
  33. Resonance Chain: Playing the Soul’s Melodies? (October 12, 2013)
  34. BREW Contest! Clash, Shibusen vs. Arachnophobia? (October 19, 2013)
  35. Mosquito’s Storm! Old Days World’s Time Limit is 10 Minutes? (October 26, 2013)
  36. Release, Seven People’s Resonance Chain! Concert of Creation and Destruction? (November 2, 2013)
  37. A Great Detective’s First Case: Shibusen’s Secret Exposed by Kid? (November 9, 2013)
  38. Bloodshed Temptation: The Big Man’s Uncontrollable Irritation? (November 16, 2013)
  39. Crona’s Escape: Show Me Your Smile, Please? (November 23, 2013)
  40. Cut the Cards: Medusa Surrenders to Shibusen? (November 30, 2013)
  41. Winding and Sliding: The Dancing Doctor, A New World? (January 4, 2014)
  42. Charge! Baba Yaga’s Castle: Why is Everything Suddenly so Unclear? (January 11, 2014)
  43. The Last Demon Tool: The Weaponless Kid’s Impossible Mission? (January 18, 2014)
  44. Coward Crona’s Determination: For You, Who Are Always By My Side? (January 25, 2014)
  45. Demonslayer’s Wavelength: Fierce Attack, Hatred of the Demon Hunter? (February 1, 2014)
  46. Bravery? Bloodshed? Decisive Battle, Mifune vs. Black Star? (February 8, 2014)
  47. The Miracle of Overturning a Table in Anger: Our Death City’s Robot? (February 15, 2014)
  48. Lord Death Wields a Death Scythe - Just One Step from Utter Darkness? (February 22, 2014)
  49. Asura’s Awakening: The Arrival of the World’s End? (March 1, 2014)
  50. Sink or Swim?! The Men who Transcend the Gods? (March 8, 2014)
  51. The Password is Courage! (March 14, 2014)

Soul Eater Not!

Genres: action, comedy, supernatural
Themes: human weapons, school, shinigami, superpowers, witches, yuri
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Three freshman girls: Tsugumi Harudori, a “normal girl” in every way; Meme Tatane, an airheaded girl; and Anya Hepburn, a tsundere princess, encounter and start their new lives at Death Meister & Weapon Academy (DMWA).
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2014-04-08

ANN Info Page

When I saw something with Soul in the title was playing on VOD, I was very excited. It turned out be a decade old Anime called Soul Hunter.

Soul Eater is the Anime I really wanted to see. If ADV managed to get their hands on it, I would think they are back being one of the top Anime distributers.

Is Soul Eater still running in Japan?

If it is, Soul Eater may take awhile getting here.

1 Like

Eh, I’m not that excited about seeing it here in America, this anime really didn’t live up to the hype in my opinion. I quit watching after about episode 30, so don’t say I didn’t give it a try, I was over 3/5s the way through when I quit. After no advance in the main plot since the demon god or whoever he was was released I just gave up. Kept going back to old bad guys, along with their sisters, but no advance on the main threat in the anime.

1 Like

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-09/haruhi-suzumiya-film-soul-eater-dub-promos-posted

1 Like

Here in Houston we have an outing called Anime at the Alamo, once a week at a theater called the Alamo Drafthouse we have an anime night sponsored by Funimation. Only a few weeks ago Funimation sent for us to watch the first few episodes subtitled. Yes, you probably thought it was going to be dubbed, but Funimation only sends out the animes that there is real hype for.

They normally send the host the dubbed versions, and the only subbed ones I can remember is FMA: Brotherhood and Soul Eater…just to clarify.

1 Like

New dub clip.

I’ll repeat what I said on twitter.

1 Like

Indeed. WTH happened, the first trailer sounded good. This sounds so amateurish. DO NOT WANT, which means it’ll probably be an AS pick up. -_-

1 Like

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about the Soul Eater dub so far, so I’m in no hurry to check it out. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe these horrible dubs are part of Funimation’s evil master plan to push people to sub only so when they go its not a big deal.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They are just evil enough to do it! LOL Personally, I would prefer sub only as opposed to some of the dubs Funi has put out. Has horror flashbacks of Ouran

1 Like

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Their first clip was amazing. The show looked incredible, and I love to watch a cute girl fight ;). The dub was really good too. It felt really well done. And I LOVED Laura Bailey as the chick.

Second clip…not only did it make the show seem super lame, but the dub was kinda ehh. I agree with Dragoon “What happened?” . Hopefully that’s just a bad clip, not representive of the show or the dub. I want to watch a show like that first clip, not a show filled with scenes like the second one :stuck_out_tongue: . The dub was going for funny, but it felt kinda stupid…Ehhh…

1 Like

Umm…seriously, was that suppose to be funny, the second clip? The first was eh, alright…I guess, but that second one? If that’s what we’re getting for the dub, than Funi must be either hurting financially (and making sure noone knows), their VA (all…what, 6 of them) are realy burned out, or Funi just doesn’t give a rats heiny anymore since they’re “the only players in town” and can get away with it.

No…I’ll pass on the show TY.

1 Like

Well…here’s an interesting review from SOMEONE WHO HEARD THE DUB. Of course this is his opinion, take it as you will.

http://www.fanboyreview.net/2010/02/04/soul-eater-part-1-early-lookreview/

1 Like

Black Star is whole reason the dub is a fail.
There were people begging in the funmations forums to have this voice redone.
Maybe the voice actor settle down after a few episodes or read the hate mail.
Still, VA in the 2nd episode is off. Little to Hi and Fast.
I know they are trying to match the japanese animation, still there was room for a real Yawho instead of the weird sound being made in the Dub.

1 Like

Read that the first day it was up. I’ll wait for AOD’s review of the show. Would say ANN ,but I have doubts about their reviews anymore. Plus really not a fan of Todd Haberkorn (not going to explain some people already know why) . My mind is pretty much made up that the dub will not be my cup of tea. I did plan on buying the sets even with the iffy dub ,but got it on good word the show takes a turn for the worse as it goes on. So be waiting for some reviews from AOD for the rest.

1 Like

I had a chance to watch the first couple episodes, eventhough I don’t like supporting a certain company. This is one of the few series from said company that I actually didn’t mind the dub. I won’t purchase this series, but I wouldn’t mind watching it on tv.
Slick

1 Like

Considering the first set was released today and the second set release for Mar. 30, that will probably never happen, since the DVDs will be out.

Getting a TV deal is usually reserved for series that aren’t out yet on DVD, to promote sales for the release.

1 Like

I know, but it may be on some channel in the future, you never know.
Slick

1 Like

Here’s ANN’s review of the show:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/soul-eater-dvd/part-1

And then here’s AOD’s review:
http://www.mania.com/soul-eater-part-1-collection_article_119038.html

Take your pick.

1 Like

And by anime news network, you mean http://www.youtube.com/user/Husse67?feature=chclk :wink: . I haven’t seen her give that kind of review in awhile. She seems to have really enjoyed it. Makes me kinda wish that was getting on TV, would have liked to see it. Not sure if this is something I’d buy though.

1 Like