Space Pirate Captain Harlock /Uchū Kaizoku Captain Harlock & Gun Frontier

Ozma has reminded me that when a show bears Leiji Matsumoto’s name it is telling you to stay the expletive away from it.

Is his fame supposed to automatically cover the glaring flaws in his work, is it “good” because of its massive failures, or am I just missing something? I saw this back when it was legally streamed and I was not impressed in the least.

Also, as was echoed over on Ann:No dub = no point.

He’s one of those if you don’t like his stuff your never going to get it and explaining is a moot point.

Discotek is probably going to end up with most of my money this and next year.

Discotek gets more of my money, geeze.

Your money, your decision. I support that.

Out of curiosity, are you spending more money on anime so you can support this company without affecting your support for the other companies, or are you sending money that would otherwise go to the other companies to this one?

That is to say:does supporting discotek mean that you support Sentai less than you otherwise would have?

If it doesn’t, then that’s awesome. You probably won’t see me doing the same, but whatevs. However, If it does hurt Sentai, then I don’t think it’s wise but I still support it (basically the oft-misquoted Voltaire remark).

My money goes to the company that licenses the anime I want, it’s not that complicated. Look at my anime collection here Blog / Important Notice for Anime Network Online Users - Anime Network

I really don’t care what company releases it, I grab the shows I like, in the pipeline that means NIS for Natsume and Ano Hana, and Discotek for Harlock and Samurai Pizza Cats. Plus Shout with Power Rangers and maybe 999, but that’s a lot of money there.

Here is the simple answer to all companies from me, license what I want and I will grab it.

For what it’s worth, there is a DVD “Captain Harlock & Friends” floating around - I bought mine in a dollar store - that is a bootleg of a dub of I believe this same TV series. It has like three episodes plus a couple 60s era low (very low) budget US cartoons tacked onto the end. I normally would not even suggest such a thing, but it would give you a taste of the show for very little money - and so far as I know right now it’s the only way to get any of the dub, if I remember right they only dubbed over 8 or so episodes in the early 1980s and the rights to that are questionable at best.

It’s definately old-school and might not be up to your standards compared to newer series, but it wasn’t a bad show and it had me curious to see more of it.

I’m not even going to get into the sub vs dub thing.

There was actually two dubs for this one was only a few episodes and the other was another attempt by Harmony Gold to mash series together like they did with Robotech and the three Japanese series that make it.

They took the 42 episode Space Pirate Captain Harlock and the 42 episode Queen Millennia (because Toei wanted to much for Endless Orbit SSX the actual sequel series to Space Pirate Captain Harlock ). Which equals 84 episodes. They cut , edited , and mashed them together to get the 65 episode Captain Harlock and the Queen of 1000 Years. Shows needed 65 episodes at the time to get syndication .

You can read about that here http://www.cornponeflicks.org/harlock/harlock1000.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Harlock_and_the_Queen_of_a_Thousand_Years

Captain Harlock CG Film DVD Listed in N. America by Ketchup Entertainment

posted on 2015-01-22 00:40 EST
English/Japanese DVD listed, with Netflix streaming also

Mmm…ketchup… :tongue:

So I take it no one else wanted it…

If only Netflix had the English dub…

It’s cool that someone is finally bringing it to the US, even if it is a company that isn’t a household name, but only the DVD? In 2015, it ought to be the DVD that isn’t being brought over; HD or bust. :smile:

Captain Harlock CG Film’s English Trailer, U.S. Screenings Unveiled

posted on 2015-03-17 12:00 EDT
Screenings in LA, SF, NYC before March 31 DVD/Blu-ray/Digital HD/on Demand release

Captain Harlock CG Film’s English Dub Clips Streamed

posted on 2015-03-29 18:00 EDT
Film heads to release via DVD, Digital HD, and Video on Demand on March 31

And since there has been such speculation about this project, we will confirm that one of our December titles is CAPTAIN HARLOCK: SPACE PIRATE (2013), which will be our first-ever 3-disc blu-ray set. We are presenting 3-D and 2-D versions of both the Japanese and International Cuts, along with a separate disc comprised of copious extras - quite the package for anime fans! We recognize that this is unusual territory for us, but we were offered the opportunity because of our relationship with Toei Animation - (TT co-founder Brian Jamieson was Toei’s marketing consultant for the worldwide release of the film) - and consequently we have been allowed to release the most comprehensive package for this movie on blu-ray anywhere in the world. We are proud to be associated with it, and hope there’s at least a few of you that will take pleasure in some truly dazzling visuals - James Cameron, who has enthusiastically endorsed the project, considers Aramaki to be one of the greatest anime directors out there – hop on board and try it – you never know, you might like it!

I’ve gotten a copy of this movie, for the Sentai dub, and it seems to be still on Netflix, but I haven’t tried it yet. Pretty cool that it is getting a bluray as last I’d heard it was only getting a dvd-only release here.

The way the linked thread was going on about having limited purchasers, being a “boutique” retalier and using this movie to subsidize other movies, I was expecting a Pony Canyon-esque price but the next page in the thread says that they expect this to be 40 bucks. That’s doable lol.

Dunno what I’d do with the 3d version as I don’t have any kind of 3d viewing hardware more advanced than the old red 'n blue glasses.

CG Captain Harlock Film’s 3D Blu-ray Planned in U.S.

posted on 2015-07-24 09:00 EDT

https://www.facebook.com/notes/10150379125362729/

CAPTAIN HARLOCK SPACE PIRATE (2013) BLU-RAY (3D / 2D) - Dec 8th

All titles strictly limited to 3,000 copies (unless otherwise noted)
Available through our distributors Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com and our own web portal www.twilighttimemovies.com

Press Release 12/01/2015

Now on Blu-Ray: the epic anime masterpiece that rocked the Venice International Film Festival at its 2014 World Premiere. Experience the technical wizardry – in eye-popping 3D as well as 2D – of legendary director Shinji Aramaki’s must-own instant classic in a deluxe 2-disc set.

“HARLOCK SPACE PIRATE”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release
Only 3,500 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com
Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8TH, 2015

“A glorious marshaling of state-of-the-art technical expertise that boasts topnotch stereoscopy…The important thing is that it should all look awesome…it duly does.” —Variety

“Mythic, epic, and visually unprecedented, ‘Harlock’ will take you to a whole new universe of ideas." —James Cameron – “AVATAR”

“A lavish 3D animated reboot of the culty intergalactic comic saga created by Leiji Matsumoto in 1977…its impressive production values and pedal-to-the metal action should get hardcore geeks on board.” —The Hollywood Reporter

A futuristic, fatalistic epic anime adventure, Harlock: Space Pirate (2013) is an adaptation of the spectacularly popular Leiji Matsumoto saga about an intergalactic war with Earth as the ultimate prize and the eponymous Captain Harlock as its only potential defender. Fighting against the Gaia Coalition, Harlock and his loyal crew are the sole beings with a chance of defeating the Coalition and returning humanity to Earth.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/harlock-space-pirate

Update: The original release date was 12/8, but due to manufacturing delays we won’t have our stock until approximately December 18th.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?39869-Harlock-Space-Pirate-(DVD-via-Ketchup-Ent-amp-BD-via-Twilight-Time)&p=339564#post339564

Important News Regarding Harlock: Space Pirate

Due to the complexity of 3D authoring as well as the sheer volume of special features for this title, most of which had to be subtitled, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release until January as this is too large a project to rush.

Please see below for important instructions regarding your order:

All customers who have ordered Harlock: Space Pirate along with our other December titles will have their credit card charged and the in-stock portion of their order shipped as soon as possible. We will be shipping your reserved copy of Harlock: Space Pirate at our expense as soon as we have stock in mid-January. If you do not want to keep your reserved copy of Harlock: Space Pirate, please email support@twilighttimemovies.com for a refund & cancellation.

For those who have ordered Harlock: Space Pirate separately, we will have to process all credit card charges on Friday December 18th to prevent your credit card authorization from expiring and keep your copy of the film reserved. If you would prefer to re-order this title in January, please email support@twilighttimemovies.com to cancel your order and the hold on your credit card.

Please note that if you used PayPal to check out, you have already been charged. We will issue refunds in place of cancellations as requested.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Twilight Time

Available for pre-order Wednesday January 6th at 1PM PT/4PM ET. Shipping mid-January.