Discotek Media News

Multiple threads have been merged to create this thread

This is the Discotek Media thread.

Effective April 2, 2015

Only post article/news/notes about the Discotek Media industry OR about anime that doesn’t already have an existing thread.

Anything posted here that already has an existing thread will either be moved to that thread or deleted. NO EXCEPTIONS.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Discotek licenses first two Galaxy Express 999 movies and rescues Project A-ko!

:cheer: :woohoo:

Link in spoiler Banner at top of site may be NSFW
http://www.discotekmedia.com/blog/?p=40

New licenses!

Anime:
Galaxy Express 999 movie
Adieu Galaxy Express 999 movie
Project AKO (Original movie)

Live action:
Princess Blade
Aquarian Age

Now I don’t have to get wallet robbed searching for the VHS copies of GE 999. Hopefully these will have the dubs Viz did as they were at the time some of the best dubs done for Anime. Guessing the the third one is a no go right now but that’s cool it never has gotten released here. Hopefully if they and the FOTNS TV do well Discotek will pick up the GE 999 TV series.

GE999 looks like something I’d enjoy. I love the classics.

Will be nice to get Project A-Ko on DVD.

Good to see. I’ve been wanting to check out the GE999 movies for a while and I’ve always heard great things about Project AKO.

Also, is that the same Princess Blade that ADV use to have? If so, I may have to pick it up. There was some king of packaging goof up with mine. I bought the double pack with Dark Water, but it actually came with the extra features disc from the two disc Princess Blade release. So I have the extras but no movie.

Definiely some surprising licenses from Discotek. The GE999 are more than likely going to purchased by me sooner or later, and the others are right under “wait and see”.

Really, ever since licensing the Fist of the North Star movie Discotek has been on an amazing roll with their licenses. There may be yet a company who might be able or willing to license Ring ni Kakero 1 some day…

This is great news. I finally can replace the taped from TV tapes of GE999 movies. I said this elsewhere but GE999 and Project A-Ko was some of the first anime I saw and knew they were anime. Just as I was getting into it as GE999 Movies were on Sci-Fi channel back in the day. Wikipedia does list PA-ko as being on Sci-Fi to back in the day but I remember GE999 Movies and not that. I’m glad too for PA-Ko because the first movie is hard to find. I know right stuff still has copies of the rest of it for sale and in stock.
GE999 and PA-Ko wasn’t shows that made me a big fan that was Sailor Moon but it was one of first shows that got my foot a door as a fan. It introduce me to what Anime was and I knew it was anime.

heh, gave up on ever seeing this available again. 999 Dub was very good. Characters delivered lines with great emotion.

AKO is one of my all time faves. (dub was not quite as good on it however)hmmm, wonder if they would save the 3rd and 4th OAV of AKO, I never cared for Plot one or the Grey vs one.
but 1,3,and 4 were aces.

I am SO glad to see Project A-Ko rescued

Instant buy.

Discotek Media Adds D.N.Angel TV Anime

posted on 2011-05-02 23:56 EDT
ADV Films once released this anime of Yukiru Sugisaki’s action comedy manga

More surprised it was Discotek that rescued this then anything. Figured Funimation would have gotten it. Least this means if the extra’s from the ADV releases are included I can replace my thinpak if I wanted to. Though I think most of those extra’s were English cast related. So hard to say if they will be kept.

I have the singles with art box for this one, and have even gotten a few autographs on it over the years, so I have no interest in the release. However, it’s good to see DN Angel finding a new and for DiscoTek to pick up another title.

I have to agree with Pup. I figured this show would be rescued at one point or another, but I never thought it would be DiscoTek.

Again didn’t see this mention but Discotek became a awesome company for rare obscure titles. In last 24 hours Samurai Pizza Cats/Cats Toninden Teyande (releasing both original japanese version and english dub by themselves), Casshan: Robot Hunter Video Anime (yes long out of print title that adv released), and Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-13/discotek-licenses-shin-getter-robo-vs-neo-getter-robo
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-12/discotek-licenses-samurai-pizza-cats/cats-toninden-teyande
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-12/discotek-licenses-casshan/robot-hunter-video-anime

Man project a-ko, lupin II first tv series, GE 999 Movies, Venus Wars. I love Discotek.

I know a few people would rather them release Samurai Pizza Cats with both language versions in one set. I’m glad they are doing it the separate release way. Also Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo. YAY!

Maybe they can get Mazinkaiser vs the Great General of Darkness.

I think the difference in maybe the uncut and the fact that there are two episodes not dubbed is why. 54 is sub version which I guess were never brought over for english run.

Yeah I think even the last 12 episodes of the dub while they were done were never shown on TV here. So there is that to. I think this basically only leaves Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors from that block of shows that ran in the early morning on PHL17. I don’t think Sailor Moon is coming anytime soon but Ronin Warriors might have a shot.

The two undubbed episodes of SPC were recap clip episodes, so Saban just never bothered with them. The show also has some editing done, but not the degree of other Saban or 4Kids productions. It was even a bit notorious because it left the gay vilian alone and still showed him flirting with his underlings.

I use to love this show when it aired here on the local UPN station. It actually took the place of Sailor Moon when that was pulled from syndication. I’m looking very forward to this release. I will likely just be getting the dubbed version though.

I’m interested in both Samurai Pizza Cats and Casshan (a former ADV title btw). At the rate they’re going, Discotek is going to have half of my money (Sentai already has the other half).

Discotek to Release Love Com/Lovely Complex Anime

posted on 2012-04-02 22:54 EDT
North American distributor releasing 24-episode series as subtitled box set

I’ve always heard good things about this. I will have to check it out. It’s interesting to see DiscoTek picking up a relatively newer title.