Summer Wars

[size=16]Summer Wars[/size]

[quote]Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, science fiction, thriller
Themes: computers, family, social-networking, technology, virtual reality
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: When timid eleventh-grader and math genius Kenji Koiso is asked by older student and secret crush Natsuki to come with her to her family’s Nagano home for a summer job, he agrees without hesitation. Natsuki’s family, the Jinnouchi clan, dates back to the Muromachi era, and they’ve all come together to celebrate the 90th birthday of the spunky matriarch of the family, Sakae. That’s when Kenji discovers his “summer job” is to pretend to be Natsuki’s fiancé and dance with her at the birthday celebration. As Kenji attempts to keep up with Natsuki’s act around her family, he receives a strange math problem on his cell phone which, being a math genius, he can’t resist solving. As it turns out, the solution to the mysterious equation causes a hijacking of the social networking site through which most of the world’s social and business traffic flows.
Running time: 114 minutes
Vintage: 2009-07-29[/quote]
ANN Info Page

So anybody else positively drooling at the thought of the forthcoming release of Summer Wars?

It’s by the same guy that did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Even without subs (no idea what’s going on >.< ) the trailer looks great.

The Warner Brothers logo also give me hope that it may get a release in the US and the UK.

[size=20]Summer Wars’ Current U.S. Theatrical Dates Listed[/size]
posted on 2010-11-13 01:50 EST
Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, NYC, Boston, Denver, Santa Fe, Philadelphia, Honolulu, Seattle

The North American anime distributor listed the current theatrical dates for Mamoru Hosoda and MADHOUSE’s Summer Wars film as of Friday:

[details=Date/City/Theater]
Dec 3-8 - Chicago, IL - Siskel Film Center
Dec 10-16 - Los Angeles, CA - AMC Covina 30
Dec 24-30 - San Francisco, CA - Landmark Bridge Theater
Dec 29-Jan 4 - New York, NY - IFC Center
Jan 5-12 - Boston, MA - Museum of Fine Arts
Jan 7-13 - Denver, CO - Starz Film Center
Jan 7-13 - Santa Fe, NM - CCA Cinematheque
Jan 14-20 - Los Angeles, CA - Laemmle Sunset
Jan 21-27 - Philadelphia, PA - Landmark Ritz at the Bourse
Jan 23-Feb 3 - Honolulu, HI - Academy of Arts
Jan 28-Feb 3 - Seattle, WA - Landmark Varsity[/details]

GKids is handling the film’s distribution, and other theaters can contact GKids to arrange a showing.

[size=20]Summer Wars Submitted for Oscar Nominations[/size]
posted on 2010-11-14 08:07 EST
15 films submitted for 3 spots; 16+ must be accepted for 5-nominee field

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that 15 films have been submitted for possible Oscar nominations in the Best Animated Feature category of the 83rd Academy Awards. Mamoru Hosoda and MADHOUSE’s Summer Wars anime film is among the submitted films:

• Alpha and Omega
• Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
• Despicable Me
• The Dreams of Jinsha
• How to Train Your Dragon
• Idiots and Angels
• The Illusionist
• Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole
• Megamind
• My Dog Tulip
• Shrek Forever After
• Summer Wars
• Tangled
• Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
• Toy Story 3

The academy will announce its official slate of nominees on February 25. The academy allows up to five nominations in this category if 16 or more films are submitted and accepted; if only nine to 15 films are accepted, the academy will allow only a maximum of three nominations. Four of the submitted films, including Summer Wars, still need to run in Los Angeles County for at least one week to qualify for acceptance in the category. All of the films still need to be examined by the academy’s Animated Feature Film Award Screening Committee to determine if they meet other qualifications.

Hideaki Anno and Khara’s Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone (Evangelion Shin Gekijoban: Jo) anime film was not eligible for the 82nd Academy Awards since it opened in Japan on September 1, 2007, before the qualifying period. Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli’s Ponyo did qualify for a nomination in the 82nd Academy Awards, but did not receive one. Similarly, Mamoru Oshii and Production I.G’s The Sky Crawlers and Masahiro Ando and BONES’ Sword of the Stranger were among the 14 films submitted for the same category for the 81st Academy Awards; both were eventually accepted in the category but were not nominated.

The first time that five animated features were nominated in the category was in 2002, when Miyazaki’s Spirited Away was submitted among 17 candidates. Spirited Away eventually became the only Japanese animated feature to win an Oscar. Kunio Kato’s “La Maison en Petits Cubes” won in the Best Animated Short Film category at the 81st Annual Academy Awards in 2009.

The online retailer Right Stuf reported on Monday that Funimation will release the Blu-ray Discs and DVDs for Summer Wars and Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance (Evangelion Shin Gekijoban: Ha) on February 15 and March 29, 2011, respectively.

###Summer Wars to Be Screened in Austin, Dallas, D.C.
posted on 2011-01-05 21:33 EST

I thought I’d post this here to let everyone know it seems like some perhaps a lot of people are not getting a slipcover or the the art cards that are supposed to be with the first pressings. Pretty sure the slipcover is not exclusive to the first pressing so if you did not get them I’d contact Funimation.

Not sure how this happened. My guess is they used two different replicators and one of them did not put the slipcover or artcards in.

I got mine and while the art cards are not that great the slipcover is something I’d be complaining about not getting.

Just to let you know the Oklahoma City Museum of Art will be showing Summer Wars from Thursday, March 17 through Sunday, March 20. Times are 7:30 PM on Thursday, 5:30 PM on Friday and Saturday (with an 8:00 Pm showing of Evangelion 2.0 following) and a 2:30 PM matinee on Sunday. Cost is $8 general admission.

From Funimations Blog:
http://blog.funimation.com/2011/02/summer-wars-is-selling-out-nationwide/

[quote]
Summer Wars is selling out nationwide!

Mamoru Hosoda’s critically acclaimed animated film, Summer Wars, has been on quite a roll in its first few days of release, to put it mildly. All the First Press editions sold out at wholesale level during the pre-order period and have already been sent to retail outlets. If you see one of these now rare copies with the green sticker denoting there’s art cards inside, snap it up quickly before they are gone forever!

Unfortunately, to get enough copies out in time to meet the enormous demand, we were informed that some of the product in the subsequent printings shipped without the white, OZ avatar O-card (cardboard slip-cover). While these non-First Press printings will not have the art cards, they SHOULD have the white O-Card. These slip covers feature specialty printing that takes a little bit longer to produce than the rest of the product.

We didn’t want anyone to have to wait to get their copies of the film, so if you bought your copy of Summer Wars and it did not have the white OZ O-card, we’re here to help. Please fill out the form below and as soon as more O-cards are available, we will mail one to you. These should come into the office in 3-4 weeks at the latest.

A quick note for our fans in Canada:
We have received some emails about some stores stating the street date for the Summer Wars Blu-ray has been moved to Tuesday, February 22. This was due to a small shipping delay, so fear not, Summer Wars is on the way! There will be some First Press editions of both DVD and Blu-ray in stores as well, but your best bet is to have pre-ordered. If your copy comes without the white OZ look O-card, it’s the same deal as above. Just fill out the form, and we will happily send one your way if you’d like one.

Offer only valid for purchasers with addresses in the United States and Canada.

Thank you for your continued support of Summer Wars! Koi Koi, everyone![/quote]

Funimation really could have handled this thing a lot better. There has been people that have had it pre-ordered since it was available to pre-order that did not get the art cards. It looks like those people are out of luck. It sounds like they sent most of the first print stock to Retail chains.

I saw Summer Wars on the big screen at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and was blown away by the story and the animation quality. For some strange reason, they showed the movie in subtitled mode (it definitely was the Blu-ray copy) so since I have a Blu-ray player now I rented it from Netflix as soon as I could. My wife and I watched it yesterday-she loved it and I can now say the dub is outstanding, too!

Watched it on DVD and loved this movie and agree they did a great job on the movie. I strongly recommend everyone watch this movie.

###FUNI BLOG: Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Summer Wars – Hosoda Collection release!
Posted by Godswill on 10/06/2016 at 3:43pm

Summer Wars - The Hosoda Collection - Official Clip - Koi Koi!

###Hosoda Collection Product Spotlight: Summer Wars
by Funimation Entertainment, Nov 16th 2016

###Review: Summer Wars [Hosoda Collection] BD+DVD
by Rebecca Silverman, Dec 7th 2016

Funimation Streams Mamoru Hosoda’s Summer Wars With English Dub

posted on 2017-12-21 16:10 EST
,Available now