The World God Only Knows

The World Only God Knows / Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: Dating Sims, demons, harem, moe, otaku, parody, ren’ai, school life, spirits
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Dating sim master Keima Katsuragi wants nothing more than to immerse himself in the 2D world, chasing digital girlfriends. But when the so-called “Capturing God” answers a mysterious email from an unknown sender, Keima finds himself chasing down real-life ladies in an attempt to help the peppy demon Elsie de Lute Irma capture “lost souls” escaped from the depths of hell. Now, lest the explosive collar around his neck detonate, Keima must convince various girls to fall in love with him in order to scare out the souls hiding in their hearts.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2010-10-06 to 2010-12-22

ANN Info Page

The World God Only Knows II / Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai II

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, magic, romance
Themes: dating sims, demons, harem, otaku, ren’ai, school life, spirits
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Katsuragi is back, and together with Elsie the hunt for loose souls continues on. This time however, they are joined by Elsie’s friend and fellow Demon, Haqua.
Vintage: 2011-04-11 to 2011-09-16

ANN Info Page

The World God Only Knows: Goddesses (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-Hen)

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: Cross dressing, dating sims, demons, goddesses, harem, otaku
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Civil war in New Hell is threatened when the group Vintage attempts to release the group Weiss onto the Earth for the purpose of controlling souls. To counter this threat, Keima Katsuragi is conscripted into unsealing the five Jupiter sisters – the Goddesses who sacrificed themselves in order to seal Weiss.
Vintage: 2013-07-08
Opening Theme: “God only knows -Secrets of the Goddess-” by Oratorio The World God Only Knows
Ending Theme #1: “Kizuna no Yukue” by Jupiter no Shimai
Ending Theme #2: “Hitomi kara Snow” by Nao Tōyama

ANN Info Page
Official JP Website

The World God Only Knows: Four Girls and an Idol (OAV) Vintage: 2011-09-16
The World God Only Knows: The Reunion/The Encounter (OAV 2) Vintage: 2012-10-18
The World God Only Knows: Magical Star Kanon 100% (OAV 3) Vintage: 2013-06-18

It’s a little hard finding decent OPs and EDs for this one. Most of them are cropped, or have different music or are otherwise tampered with. I will keep looking for better ones. Until then, enjoy this PV:

I read on Crunchyroll that The World Only God Knows will get a Blu-ray release, does that mean it will get a dub?

Not necessarily anymore. Blu-ray production has gotten to the price point it’s cheap enough they can do them with out having to get the money that dubs might add.

:whistle:

I am curious about one thing. The end of the 2nd season seemed to scream 3rd season. I wonder if this will help the push for that.

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “THE WORLD GOD ONLY KNOWS”

HOUSTON, October 17, 2011— Sentai Filmworks has formally confirmed the acquisition for the eagerly anticipated anime series THE WORLD GOD ONLY KNOWS, which was first revealed to massive applause at the 2011 Anime Weekend Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia on September 30, 2011. Based on the super-hit manga by Tamiki Wakaki, the 24 episode series is helmed by Trigun and Flame of Recca vet Shigehito Takayanagi, who is directing from scripts supervised by Read Or Die creator Hideyuki Kurata (Excel Saga, Kamichu) and character designs adapted from Wakaki’s originals by Akio Watanabe (SoulTaker, Nurse Witch Komugi-chan.) Original music is provided by Transformers Armada composer Hayato Matsuo (Hellsing Ultimate, Streetfighter Alpha.)

Keima Katsuragi can score with any girl he wants… provided that she’s not real. A legendary master of Japanese “dating Sims,” often referred to by other players as the God Of Conquests, Keima is a classic nerd in real life and isn’t even all that interested in girls with more than two dimensions in the first place! Unfortunately for Keima, his personal preferences cease to be of any importance when he accepts a challenge to what he THINKS is an internet game, only to discover that he’s actually made a deal with a demon! And not just any demon, this is Elsie, a not particularly competent young female demon who’s been charged with recapturing runaway spirits that prefer to hide in girls hearts, where they can only be driven out by the girls falling in love. Now Elsie’s got Keima by a collar and he’s got to get the girls or die trying! Romance and dating are the highway to Hell in THE WORLD ONLY GOD KNOWS!

THE WORLD GOD ONLY KNOWS is currently available digitally. DVD and Blu-Ray releases of the first 12 episodes are scheduled for January 2012, with Season 2 to follow later in the year.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, including hit series like Highschool of the Dead, Guin Saga, Needless, Canaan and Angel Beats. Sentai Filmworks programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network and YouTube.

Also in case no one got my last post in this thread I was being sarcastic for the most part. Though production cost have come down a lot now. Sentai probably just has not found a cheaper place to get it done. Which is probably a good thing. When companies shop around we usually get problems.

The World God Only Knows English Cast

Directed by Steven Foster

Keima Katsuragi - Chris Patton
Elsie - Luci Christian
Ayumi Takahara - Kaytha Coker
Mio Aoyama - Hilary Haag
Sora Asuka - Melissa Davis
Kanon Nakagawa - Brittney Karbowski
Mari Katsuragi - Shelley Calene-Black
Shiori Shiomiya - Hilary Haag
Miss Nikaido - Elizabeth Bunch
Chihiro Kosaka - Serena Varghese
Morita - Kalob Kartinez
Mio’s Father - Chris Hutchison
Mr. Kodama - Chris Ayres
Lime - Serena Varghese
Yuri - Monica Rial

Per Janice Williams, Sentai Filmworks
@ The Fandom Post

Kanon - Brittney Karbowski

That was done on purpose right? uguu…

Just kidding, The cast looks really good, can’t wait to see it.

I like the looks of the cast. I can’t wait to hear the dub.

It has been a while since I have seen these two together, it is safe as heck but the two have such good chemistry so I feel good about this. I am curious to see who will play Haqua because I had Luci set as that.

Mr. Kodama - Chris Ayres

That should be fun.

Season 1 Cover/Disc Art

DVD

That is freaking awesome, can’t wait to pick this up!

World God Only Knows (Hyb) Blu-ray Complete Collection is reserved for my order over at Rightstuf just waiting on ef ~ A Tale of Memories to come in now.

Started on VOD - January 12.

Watched the first episode this morning. It was different but funny with good voice acting.

I just watch the first ep this morning and I have a question. Which happened first, Sony’s announcement of the PSVita or the creation of this anime? His PFP is a nearly perfect replica of the design appearance of the PSVita, although I don’t think the Vita is supposed to have a slide-out keyboard (and at those key sizes I don’t think I’d want one either, I don’t want to have to specialty trim my nails to use them). The biggest reason why I ask is for anyone who has a PSP the logo on his PFP is in the exact same script style, so I’m wondering if maybe the anime (or if it’s based on a manga/bishoujo then that) inspired some of the design aspects of the Vita.

well the manga started in 2008, and I’m pretty sure the closest resembles is the one used, so WcDonald’s is obvious and like you said PFP would be PSP. never heard of a PSvita until now, so likely it came LON after…and NONE have a VR headset either.

I’m sure anime inspires tech just like Jules Verne and Star Trek inspired our recent tech. Cell phone ↔ Star Trek communicator… even the iPhone and iPad ideas came from sci-fi shows.

aside form the dating sim part, and harem aspect… this is one story like Inuyasha, that would be stupid to not complete.

too often i think anime occurs as just advertisement to get people to buy the manga or magazine it is in… that is why many get Gainax’d or Dues ex Machina’d and just end abruptly with an incomplete story, and it REALLY hurt the anime business doing that.

Seriously, i don’t think i have heard of anything form Sunrise in quite a while since they ended Inuyasha, except for the final movie finishes the story, but where it went, who knows.

spoiler

and considering the REAL story is just about to begin with season 2…it would make the series and manga look bad to just not finish it. and as perverted as Keima gets he still doesn’t really appear to be playing eroge, just galge; and doesn’t treat any of the girls as anything other than people to be protecting either in games or THE REAL. he doesn’t even LIKE they method he uses to capture/save them but does it for them even though he tries to claim to just be saving his own neck (pun intended)

i think it uses some of the shared themes better than Bleach, Kobato, and dare i say it, Rozen Maiden. (those themes being multiple world for heaven hell and earth as well as some that may be REAL spoilers)

I’m not sure that this show even needed a second season. There’s only so much it can do, and only so long it can keep doing it and still be funny. I really don’t want some ending where Keima becomes a “normal” member of society, but that seems a real possibility. I couldn’t get into this show without a dub so I haven’t yet seen the second season.

I’m not sure if I’m understanding your lone about Sunrise, but to respond to how I’m interpreting it, Sunrise put out last year’s highly overrated series tiger and bunny. They also had panels at otakon so I doubt they’re hurting, but that’s what I thought about Bandai so who knows.

I believe Sunrise also did Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which is why it was such a surprise it ended with Sentai.

I caught this show on Crunchy before watching the dub here. Are they dubbing the second season? Things start to get more interesting and at the end of the second season they opened up doors to new possibilities. (one interesting thing are the powers of heaven starting to get involved).