Upotte‼

Upotte!!

Genres: action, comedy, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, fighting, girls with guns, school, Weapons, yuri
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Upotte is a slice-of-life story revolving around the lives of several middle school girls and their school adventures. The fact that the girls happen to be anthropomorphizations of real military assault rifles means the series centers around the analogizing of rifle components to body parts while the relatively strengths and weaknesses of the particular weapons are portrayed as personality traits, even as the show provides the viewer with lessons on modern combat arms.
Number of episodes: 10
Vintage: 2012-04-07

ANN Info Page

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “UPOTTE!”

HOUSTON, May 02, 2012 — Forget about girls WITH guns, Sentai Filmworks is pleased to announce their acquisition of Upotte!, the show that’s all about girls who ARE guns! Upotte! features the scripts by Naruhisa Arakawa (Listen To Me, Girls! I am Your Father, Blue Seed), direction by Takao Kato (To Love Ru, Pandora Hearts) and character designs by Akio Takami (Buso Renkin, Steam Detectives).

Kiss kiss, bang bang! The arms race takes on a startling new development when the arms come with heads, legs and very feminine bodies attached! Yes, at Seishou Academy every girl is literally a lethal weapon, and they’re all gunning for the top shot at getting their own personal serviceman! Needless to say, it’s going to be difficult for newly recruited human instructor Genkoku to adjust to working with a living arsenal of high caliber cuties with tricky names like FNC (Funko,) M 16A4 (Ichiroku,) L85A1 (Eru,) and SG 550 (Shigu,). Especially since many have hair triggers and there’s no bulletproof vest that can stop a really determined coed! He’ll have to rewrite the operator’s manual on student/teacher relationships, and pray that his job description won’t include having to field strip and reassemble one of his cadets in the dark. But unfortunately (for him,) FNC’s already thinking about becoming HIS personal weapon, and she usually gets what she aims for! Get ready for explosive situations, amour piercing rounds, cheap shots galore and one VERY shell-shocked homeroom instructor in UPOTTE!

UPOTTE! will begin release through select digital outlets soon with a home video release to follow.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Android Market and YouTube. www.sentai-filmworks.com

Upotte!! (OAV) Vintage: 2012-10-13

ANNSpotlight Anime: Upotte!

by Justin Sevakis, Mar 23rd 2012

I was going to wait on making this thread until it showed up on NND in a couple weeks, but since ANN posted an Anime Spotlight on it yesterday, I might as well make it now.

I don’t really expect this will get picked up immediately, but I’m so hoping Sentai picks this up eventually!
I mean, they picked up Akikan!, so why not one about anthropomorphized assault rifles.

My thoughts: Hey this kind of looks cute- WAIT WHY DOES SHE HAVE A GUN.

What would Freud say about this show? I wonder.

Why are these iconic firearms depicted as generic moeblobs. That’s the real question.

Considering the source material, I’d say it’s because Kitsune Tennouji wanted to draw it that way.

And because cute girls is what everybody wants. :blush:

It worked for Strike Witches and Gunslinger Girl so it can work here too, hopefully.

Gunslinger Girl (Season 1; season 2 didn’t happen) had sharp, detailed, high-quality Studio Madhouse art. It was also a quality character study. Being into moeblobs/lolicon wasn’t a requirement to enjoy Gunslinger Girl. I’m sure that someone into that would enjoy the show more, but I can’t say for certain.

This show just looks like a gaggle of cookie-cutter moeblobs doing cutesy things, the same as every other moeblob show, only with guns. Replace the instruments in K-On with these firearms and you’ll get this show.

I’ve already seen, bought, and will buy (for Sentai) all of K-On. As such, I’ve already seen and purchased this show.

Crunchyroll Adds Upotte to Spring Anime Lineup

April 04, 2012 10:45am CDT
Series set to stream on Fridays at 9:00 am PDT

Finished up eps. 1 & 2

While the first episode did go a little overboard on the innuendos, it still remained pretty fun.

The second episode though, was a blast!

The junior high girls test against the high school girls was super funny!
And like I was hoping for this series, very well informed on the particular gun models.

This screen shot from episode one is my reaction to the series.

Ep. 03

Poor Eru!

Though that was pretty amusing…

The elementry girls where all upset that Eru was there instead of Ichiroku, but by the time all the details about Eru were done, they were all feeling so sorry for her, crying and hugging her.

Episode 3 was pretty good.

And the L85A2 isn’t so bad… I mean, it’s not great… but it’s not horrible. However, I believe Eru is an L85A1 so that doesn’t help her very much. Also, I like that the elementary school teacher is a Thompson Submachine Gun. I also find it funny that Ichiroku takes so much time cleaning herself. The M16 has always been a little notorious for being high maintenance when it comes to cleaning… Of course, I don’t know if the A4 is any easier to maintain than the A1…

Ep. 05

Wow…

Sako is fucking twisted!
These past two episodes really cranked it up and were pretty awesome.

Sako snipping Sig at the end was just way fucked up though, even if it was only just her hair bun, that’s still pretty fucked up.

About Sako:

I also say her masturbating while her partner is being shot is pretty out there too… Plus they even show some of the result… And then she is a true sadist and she nearly orgasms while shooting Funko

Well I learned that the email notification on the forum will reveal the text enclosed in spoiler tags. So now what was meant to be unspoiled has been spoiled for me, but it does sound so effing hilarious that I want to see it. From the sound of this, this show really needs a dub.

Raunchy comedy is a Sentai forte, and they’re no stranger to the “stronger stuff” :wink:

… Indeed SAKO is rather sadistic… she uses the same ammunition as the AK-47 too. The 7.62x39mm has a little bigger of a projectile than the 5.56x45mm that everyone else uses. I call shenanigans!

I’m not sure if anyone has shown this… This is what everyone shoots…

spoiler

On the left is the 7.62x51mm NATO which is used by the high schoolers Faru (FN FAL), Ichiyon (M14), and Jisuri (G3A3).
In the middle is the 7.62x39mm which is used by our good friend Sako (SAKO Rk95)***.
On the right, is the 5.56x45mm NATO used by Funco (FNC), Ichiroku (M16A4), Eru (L85A1), Ichihachi (AR-18), and Galil (Galil). Sig (SG 550) uses the 5.6mm GP 90 which is pretty much interchangeable with the 5.56x45mm NATO anyway.

To be fair, the show says that Sako uses 5.56x39mm rounds, but then the only version of the gun to do so is the export variant, and I don’t see why a gun that is representative of being from a country would be represented as the export variant.

As for what the numbers mean, I’ll let Wikipedia explain that

Episode 1 (Sub) is live at ANO

So now the conundrum: Do I watch it on Crunchyroll, or do I wait for it to all appear here?

I assume that watching on Crunchy helps Sentai to know of its (potential) popularity for a dub, but does it?

What are you guys, who have already seen all of this, going to do?

I’ll probably keep watching it at CR since I’m already caught up.

This series no longer plays on the Crunchyroll Android app. I asked if it was a licensing issue, and got this response:
“Crunchyroll Support: I didn’t realize ANN was going to be streaming the show as well. Also that doesn’t weigh in on why we can’t show it on Android at the moment. It’s a much deeper issue and the publisher has asked us not to show it on that particular platform.
We are working to show it on Android again which is why things are presently still there.”