Argevollen / Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen

Reading that brought back memories of Heat Guy J. “Hey, boy, lookin’ for your soul…”

24 episodes? Well that’s something of a novelty nowadays so I’ll have to queue this one up in the hopes that it is a show that can really work with such an episode count.

Keep in mind, if these lengths did indeed come from ANIPLUS, there’s a good chance some of them are not accurate.

Sentai just announced this license.

Episode 1 –

spoiler

Not a bad first episode. It sets things up nicely.

It figures that the higher ranking officers ran away like cowards they were under the pretext of devising a counterattack, but ordered those left behind to die defending a base that is already lost. So typical. I’m glad the colonel disobeyed that order!

Disobeying orders seems to be the norm. LOL But Tokimune gets a new toy, although I got a Valvrave vibe there for a second when Tokimune activated it. It was interesting.

G Gundam meets FMP’s Lambda Driver :thinking: :open_mouth:

This Jamie Hazaford is moe in all the wrong ways. Hopefully she won’t really weigh the show down.

Sentai Filmworks Press Release

July 5, 2014

Nothing about this show makes me want to watch it quickly. Actually, I might remove it from my CR queue and just wait for the ANO airing.

I’d contemplate doing that myself but I have an unfortunate habit of, if not simulcasting, waiting for it to be streamed dubbed. :frowning:

Wow. Between the surrendering and the complete ineptitude of the main character (he dropped the gun?! So not gangsta!) I believe it is safe to come to the conclusion that the beleaguered military kinda sucks.

Is this show supposed to be serious? Like Majestic Prince it is walking on the razor’s edge between serious and cheesy and I’m starting to think that said razor is starting to cut into the show. I’m still enjoying it for what it is, or what I think it is, so far though :slight_smile:

Though not all Crunchy subs are created equal as I’ve found what appear to be grammar errors in Episode 2 (These subs are also rather liberal translations…I don’t know how the “literal translation” folk watch Crunchy lol)

spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/Qekt0Wb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YtSz1qx.jpg

ANN Anime Spotlight: Argevollen

Jul 20, 2014

The military in this ought to be ashamed of itself as “basic training” can’t consist of more than just giving a guy a mech and a uniform since the main character in this has no combat skill, no emotional balance and, most importantly, doesn’t follow a single order and has yet to be disciplined for it.

The main character is really killing this show. Normally when the main characters in these things are whiners their early backstory gives some excuse for why they are so pathetic. This show did not do that :frowning:

I haven’t seen the “blinding beams of purity”-style censorship that was featured in this episode since Freezing.

The main character got more comeuppance than normal in anime, though still not enough, so I won’t dismiss this one just yet. Also the manipulative salaryman was a fun character and I wonder in which direction Sentai will take him when they dub this.

It would if he’s a closet sis-con… :joy:

COMING TO ANIME NETWORK IN AUGUST!

STARTING
August 3rd @ 11:30 AM EST / 8:30 AM PST

Episode 3 –

spoiler

Tokimune continues to disregard orders and sometimes that’s a good thing. However, I think he’s met his match with Richthofen. Good thing Tokimune got away!

Episode 1 is live at TAN

Episode 2 is live at TAN

Episode 5 –

spoiler

Tokimune tells Jamie his reason for joining the military – to find the truth of his sister’s death. It explains some of his hotheadedness, but Jamie is more worried about him dying and the Argevollen being destroyed. She once again tries to have Tokimune removed as its pilot, but her answer is “no” from both her boss and the military.

The higher ups send Unit 8 out to face the enemy once again. Another impossible mission and it looks like Tokimune might have to face Richthofen again. The enemy would just love to get their hands on the Argevollen.

Unit 8’s mission is a dangerous one and the Argevollen will be in the lead. But is Jamie more concerned for the Argevollen or its pilot? I loved the look on everyone’s faces as they all froze when Tokimune asked Jamie if she loved him. The guy has no subtlety whatsoever! Of course the girl is going to say no after being embarrassed like that. LOL

The operation gets messed up from the beginning and I’m sure Tokimune will have plenty of opportunities to disobey his orders again!

Episode 3 is live at TAN

Episode 6 –

spoiler

Jamie has to run through a warzone in order to reboot the Argevollen that has shut down to protect its pilot. This whole operation was a stab in the back for Unit 8. It was the intent all along to only use them as decoys and Unit 8 discovers that the hard way. However, Samonji may have a plan to get the focus off of his unit. And it works! It will at least buy enough time for Argevollen to reboot.

Jamie is a civilian and not cut out for this war stuff. She just had to drag her feet with her doubts. Their position is fired upon, but amazingly they survive. However, the path to Argevollen is completely blown away. There’s no safe way to get to Argevollen now, but Jamie finally finds her resolve to forge ahead.

Meanwhile, Tokimune is having a panic attack. He’s locked inside Argevollen and can’t get out. He can hear the attack getting closer and wonders if he will die. Just at that moment, the hatch opens to reveal Jamie. She calmly reboots Argevollen and leaves. Jamie watches Tokimune return to the battle, but he turns back to give her a thumbs up. Unit 8 will now join the advance. And it’s a successful one.

Later, Tokimune and Jamie talk a little and they are beginning to understand one another a little better. Samonji is given another mission along with the story of the flares being damaged and unusable. But Samonji is no dummy and already knows the truth. He accepts the explanation, but the tone of his voice lets his superior know he’s aware of exactly what happened. And there is a lot more going on with Argevollen and this Kybernes company than meets the eye!