AN Forums

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition

https://twitter.com/daigledopple/status/309727993457164288

[QUOTE=PhillipDaigle]

#bg2ee Throne of Bhaal was 125k words! That’s a lot of words. the new BG2:EE content is probably going to sit at around 200k.

[/QUOTE]

Wow!
A 75k dialog addition is [B]HUGE[/B]!

[quote][size=5]Patch status[/size]

Hello everyone,

As many of you are aware, we are working hard on the new patch, the scope of re-work involved in this patch is far-reaching.
The feature list is pretty awesome:
The new renderer opens up a number of amazing things, such as new UI layouts which were previously not possible. The new render system for the new fonts is brilliant.
We’ve added a Gui option to scale to full screen or run unscaled at full resolution (previously an .ini option)
The matching service is making multiplayer connection a much better experience, a nice list of games and you are up and running much faster. We’ve honored the BG development tradition of offensive game naming and we’re hopeful any of our beta testers who were exposed to that have recovered.
We’ve also logged 117 bugs fixed, including that damned Firebead Elvenhair butthole. I hate that guy. A lot.

We realize we’ve been kind of dark for a while and we are exploring a means to give people better visiblity on what we are working on. We’re still working through our ideas, but our goal is to be more open without adding overly to our current maxed out workload.

This sounds all wonderful, but, the build is still in need of additional QA time to ensure a game we can all be happy with. This means the patch and the Android version are not yet ready for release. Hopefully with the added transparency we can expose people to the issues holding us up and get your help solving them.

Best Regards,
Trent [/quote]

Now I’m really sad.

[quote][size=5][Announcement] Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.[/size]

Hi Friends.

Please read this announcement from Trent:

[quote]Dear Friends of Baldur’s Gate,

We recently removed Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We’ve taken this step at our publishing partner’s request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series’ fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster
President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games [/quote]

Baldursgate.com has additional information in a FAQ. Believe me when I say we’re extremely unhappy about this. We didn’t have confirmation of this until today, and it is indeed sad news.

We will work through this issue, but we don’t know when.[/quote]

[size=6]WooHoo![/size]

BG:EE is back up for sale through Overhaul on the BGEE site again!

That means they solved the legal issues they were having, which is a great relief.
I was begining to worry that BGII:EE would just be flushed and we’d be stuck with only BG:EE as it is, never to receive another update.

[size=6]WooHoo!
BGII:EE is now up for pre-order!
[/size]

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20688/baldur-s-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-is-coming-to-mac-pc-on-november-15th#latest

[quote=PhillipDaigle][size=5]Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is coming to Mac & PC on November 15th[/size]

Hi Friends,

Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition will be officially announced today at PAX and will be coming to Mac and PC on November 15th! The iPad and Android versions will follow soon afterwards. Because you’re our loyal forum members, you get an early peek!

It has been a long road getting here, but we’re very excited to show off what we’ve been working on.

Check out the official website for more information, the first batch of screenshots, some cool art, and a video:

[size=6]www.BaldursGateII.com[/size]
[/quote]

Here’s the trailer!

[size=5]Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition Gameplay Trailer[/size]

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]8bHwTDl231A[/video]

All those new areas!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21440/open-beta-how-we-ll-get-there-or-the-road-to-v1-2#latest

[quote][size=5]Open Beta: How We’ll Get There (Or, The Road to v1.2)[/size]

A few days ago I said that we would announce the open beta’s release date when we were a week out. People seemed to like the transparency of that, but when you get down to it, that doesn’t give anyone a realistic idea of how close we are. If you’re wondering when the beta will start, all you have for information is vague references to “Soon™”, and I think we can do better than that.

A lot better than that.

So here it is, the Road to v1.2:

1. Save Game Compatibility Test
2. Hardware Compatibility Test
3. Core Gameplay Test

At the end of Phase 3, anyone who bought the game through Beamdog.com will have access to the Beta (both Windows and Mac).

4. Multiplayer Stress Test

Once phase 4 is complete, the patch will be officially released.

If you’re interested in being a part of this process, keep reading.

[size=5]1. Save Game Compatibility Test: 0/500[/size]

This patch is huge; make no mistake. There’s a reason we’re jumping from 1.0.2014 to 1.2. Part of our internal testing involves testing saved games. A lot of saved games.

To participate in this part of the process:

• Open your saved games directory (DocumentsBaldur’s Gate Enhanced Editionsave)
  • Place the folder for your saved game (for example, “000000006-Dee’s Save”) in a zip file labeled “Save Game Test”
  • Attach the zip file to an email with a subject of “Save Game Test” and send that email to me at dpennyway@beamdog.com

Send additional saves as separate emails; that way we can keep track of which games we’ve tested.

NOTE: SAVES WITHOUT A SUBJECT OF “Save Game Test” (no quotes) WILL NOT BE TESTED.

Do not send modded saves; they will not be tested.

Once we have tested 500 saves we will move on to testing hardware compatibility. [/quote]

does this have anything to do with DDN’s The Sundering, which is like the 6th realmshattering event after 4th and the Spellplague, 3rd and umm… idk i laughed at 3rd, 2nd and the Time of Troubles, etc?

people are still waiting for a Kara-Tur or Maztica game. so much canon for FR, they stick to one annoying place that nobody cares about outside of video games. :whistle:

either way, i wouldnt give HA$BRO a single half-pence for any of their products as they are worse that the tag team of Blumes and Lorraine Williams from T$R.

The BG games take place during the Time of Troubles and focuses on Bhaal after his death and his Bhaalspawn.

so the Spellplauue never hit them and the Sundering isnt a part of them? does that mean there is still a video game out there for D&D being made using 2E rules? :blink:

wait… it is licensed to these people… no wonder DDN will only support 3.5 and up editions of the game because this video game has the rights to 2nd edition, K&C has the rights to first edition because of the legal issues with Dragon MAgazine archive, Coutrney Solomon has the rights to Chainmail, OD&D, and BD&D so WotC has very few rights to D&D itself except ehat they themself have made for the TTRPG.

:woohoo: it is all becoming more clear now! no wonde they have to keep making things that fail, because they pissed away the rights for quick income after buying T$R for WtoC, and after buying WotC for HA$BRO.

where is a rolling on the floor smilie when i need one!

I am begining to think poor Amn has had a worse time than Waterdeep ever did have with as many BG games as they have put out. Where are the harpers and the chosen when Toril needs them. :laugh:

[quote=“shadzar” post=150458]so the Spellplauue never hit them and the Sundering isnt a part of them?
[/quote]

That is correct.
The BG games take place about 17 years prior to the Spellplague and about 110+ years before the Sundering event.

To my knowledge, the 2nd ED ruleset is all but dead in games and cannot be used to make new games.
The BG games were made at the time that 2nd ED was still relevant and used.
The EE games are just revamed BG games, using more modern coding for the Infinity Engine, while still retaining its base code and ruleset, with a bunch of other enhancements and fixed bugs.

so basically they are porting the Windows 98 game to Windows 7/8?

i played the original BG for like an hour one day at someones house until it got turned off and the books pulled out.

Pretty much.
Also being ported to various devices as well as Mac OS X.

Next stage!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21583/phase-ii-the-road-to-v1-2-hardware-compatibility-test#latest

[quote][size=5]Phase II: The Road to v1.2 (Hardware Compatibility Test)[/size]

[size=5]Hardware Compatibility Test[/size]
We’re dedicated to making Baldur’s Gate work on the widest range of hardware possible. To do this, we’re doing an exhaustive test on every hardware configuration we can find.

For Phase II, we’ll be handing out copies of the beta to a select number of people to test it on their own systems. When we’re satisfied that Baldur’s Gate runs great on enough configurations, we’ll move on to Phase III.

We’ll be giving priority to those who are currently experiencing issues, with preference shown for those with unique hardware configurations. Copies will be given through Beamdog.com, and installers will be provided for both Windows and Mac as needed. Keep reading for more details on how you can be a part of this process.

[size=5]How to Participate[/size]
NOTE: Because of the way the system works, we can only extend this offer to those who purchased their copy through Beamdog.com.
Mac and Windows users are both welcome.

With a subject line of “Phase II” (no quotes), email me ( dpennyway@beamdog.com ) the following information:

• Operating System:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:

Then tell me briefly how the game is currently running on your system. On my system, the current version has no performance issues, so I would say “Works great, no problems”.

So my email would be as follows:

• Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • Current Experience: Works great, no problems

If you do not give your email a subject of “Phase II” (no quotes) and provide all of the information in the above format, you will not receive access to the beta.

[size=5]Finding Your System Information[/size]:

[size=5]Windows[/size]
You can find these three items by opening the DxDiag tool on your computer. You can access the program by pressing (Windows Key) + ® and typing “dxdiag”. When you press Enter or Run, you’ll see a window with a number of tabs. Your Operating System and Processor (CPU) are listed in the System. Your Graphics Card (GPU) is listed in the Display tab.

[size=5]Mac OSX[/size]
Click on the Apple icon in the menu bar, and select “About This Mac”, then “More Info”. The Operating System information is listed as “Software”, CPU is listed as “Processor”, and GPU is listed as “Graphics”.

[size=5]What Happens Next[/size]:
Once I have that information, and we confirm that your configuration hasn’t already been tested, we’ll set you up with a copy of the beta. Run it, play it, let me know if you encounter any strange behavior (preferably as a response to your initial email). What we’re specifically looking for here is improvements to frame rate and general performance; if the game runs poorly on your system, let me know so we can help troubleshoot it.

If the game runs great, post your reactions here! We’ll create some sort of spreadsheet as we start getting responses so that people can see what the general reactions are. We’re looking to test at least 50 configurations.

[size=6]Current Tally: 1/50[/size][/quote]

This is a tad bit surprising, but rather awesome.

Dee

Just a quick note: You are not under NDA here.

If you see something you think is really awesome and you want to share it, go ahead and post a screenshot, discuss things you like, talk about the changes that you see. Some of the things are still being polished, but we’re very excited for people to see what we’ve done here, and we don’t want to discourage that discussion.

well if it is a remake, then everyone already knows the story right? what is to hide? posting screenshots of the graphics is jsut a bunch of free-advertising images that they get to use anyway by picking the best looking one and using it as gameplay shots later since the graphics are copyright to them.

if only other people would realize this then the cost of things would go down and the frivilous lawsuits would go down as well. :whistle:

So I got access to the beta patch!

I’m loving a lot of the changes they’ve made!
Especially to the UI.

One of the other things I really like about this new patch is, they externalized a great many things to .2DA files.
Which makes it much easier to mod.

However, one change in this kinda makes me sad.
They externalized pickpocketing a bit.

STLSTEAL.2DA is the file that determines what scores are needed to pickpocket what (note: 0 means you can’t pickpocket it).

2DA V1.0
SKILL
AMULET 80
ARMOUR 0
BELT 80
BOOTS 0
CLOAK 80
GAUNTLETS 80
HELMET 0
RING_LEFT 60
RING_RIGHT 60
SHIELD 0
FIST 0
AMMO1 50
AMMO2 50
AMMO3 50
AMMO4 50
MISC1 50
MISC2 50
MISC3 50
INV1 10
INV2 10
INV3 10
INV4 10
INV5 10
INV6 10
INV7 10
INV8 10
INV9 10
INV10 10
INV11 10
INV12 10
INV13 10
INV14 10
INV15 10
INV16 10
SUMMONED 0
WEAPON1 95
WEAPON2 95
WEAPON3 95
WEAPON4 95

While I can see value in doing this to make PPing certain things more difficult, the end result of this actually dampens my enjoyment of the game somewhat.

I for the most part usually play an FMT and basically pickpocket pretty much everyone I come in contact with (Q & L being my most used shortcuts hands down).
This kind of puts the kibosh on my Candlekeep PP though, as well as all other areas throughout the game.

Phlydia’s amulet is worn, so it gets an 80.
Or stealing Erik’s longbow as he’s walking away (or various other NPCs throughout the game).

One of the devs even said this about it:

[quote=Dee] This isn’t a bug, but if there are items that you’d like to be able to steal from specific NPCs feel free to post them.

I can tell you right now, Drizzt’s scimitars will remain off-limits for all but the most skilled thieves.[/quote]

And while I usually never bother with Drizzt’s scimitars, this actually effects PPing a great many NPCs in the game now.

[size=6]Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition Media[/size]

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22199/new-media-for-baldur-s-gate-ii-enhanced-edition#latest

[quote=PhillipDaigle]

Hi Friends,

We’ve released more screenshots for Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, along with music samples, more wallpapers, and some conceptual artwork over on the Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition website.

More stuff will be showing up in the coming weeks, so stay tuned as we approach the release date! [/quote]

[size=6]ONLY 24 MORE DAYS UNTIL BGII:EE RELEASES![/size]

[size=6]Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition Media[/size]

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22708/october-28th-new-bg2ee-media#latest

[quote=PhillipDaigle]

Hi Friends,

There are three new music samples, a collection of new screenshots, and a piece of artwork for a mysterious thief known only as “Hexxat” over on the Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition website.

Okay bye! [/quote]

[size=6]ONLY 17 MORE DAYS UNTIL BGII:EE RELEASES![/size]