Blue Drop /Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku

I have got to say, Episode 7 is my favorite to watch :slight_smile:

Episode 6 -

Nice to see the Headmaster back at school. Nice also that Miss Sugawara offers to help Mari study for the makeup when she fails her chemistry test, although there may be another reason behind it. Besides, I think Mari would rather have Hagino help her, but Hagino is too busy helping the other girls.
Blue has been labeled a rebel ship and will be attacked – and the invasion is coming!
Studying late, Mari goes to the kitchen for tea and finds Michi struggling over what to write for the play. Mari gives her some good advice, telling her to write what she’d like to see.
Mari would like to go the festival and watch the fireworks with Miss Sugawara and she agrees to go. I think Mari sees her as something of a mother figure. When she overhears that she is the key to an investigation into the Kamioka Island disaster, Mari feels betrayed. I can understand her hurt and anger when she destroys some of the lab.
Blue is ordered to disarm, but Hagino says “it’s out of the question”. I like how the following battles coincide with the fireworks display.
Mari runs through the woods and is followed by Miss Sugawara. She finally catches up to the upset girl and with tears running down her face, Mari tells her that everything was lies. On Blue, Hagino realizes that the ships coming after them were a ruse to keep them occupied while they go after Mari. As Miss Sugawara tries to talk to Mari, Azanael shows up in a ship and tries to take Mari. Miss Sugawara tells Mari that she is also assigned to protect her and pulls out a gun, firing at the ship. Did she really think that little handgun had a chance against the ship? :stuck_out_tongue: Azanael is just about to shoot Miss Sugawara when Hagino shows up in her ship and saves them. She later takes Azanael prisoner.
The Master Commander receives a message from Blue, declaring its independence and she chuckles. Was that her plan all along? Wonder what she’s really after.
Miss Sugawara tells Mari that her cover has been blown, so she will be leaving soon, telling Mari that she must never run away from herself. This upsets Mari even more and she tells her to stay and be her teacher. This was very touching – Mari really looks up to her.
So, Mari finally gets to take her makeup test and I hope she does well on it. And poor Michi is once again sitting in front of a blank page, wondering what kind of play she’d like to see. I really hope that she can come up with something good.

So I’m wondering as I’ve watched up to episode 6, do they ever explain the bright idea of “we think this ship is traitorous, so let’s attack them and if they fight back they must be traitors and be disposed of” ?? Is the main commander like, out of her gourd or something? I can’t imagine it being great for morale to serve in a command where they could wipe you out just because they happen to feel like it, or suspect something, one day.

@rebecca12

Well, from the look on the Master Commander’s face that last time, I think she might have something up her sleeve, although I’m not sure what it is yet.

Episode 7 -

Mari, Hagino, Michi, and Akane are spending some of their summer vacation at the Dorm Chief’s home to help with a family move. They meet her pregnant sister and seem fascinated with her baby daughter, Noriko.
Poor Michi is still trying to write her play and chooses to stay behind when the rest of the girls go for a swim.
I notice that Azanael isn’t exactly a model prisoner.
Michi still hasn’t written a single word and falls asleep in the summer heat.
Mari tells Hagino that she’ll race her to a large rock out in the ocean. She dives in and starts to swim, but when Hagino dives in, she sees a pretty shell and dives down to retrieve it, not noticing what looks like a moray eel nearby.
A violent summer storm hits and the Dorm Chief’s sister goes into labor. Mari has reached the rock, but it starts to pour and the sea gets choppy, but there is no sign of Hagino. What started out as a nice, lazy summer episode has quickly turned dramatic. The Dorm Chief will take her sister to the hospital and leaves the baby with the girls.
Mari is later soaking in the tub and thinks about what happened with Hagino. Mari had yelled at her because she was worried that something had happened to her. I see Hagino got the shell, but I wonder what happened with the eel. When Mari leaves the bathroom and sees Hagino, she tells her that was wasn’t at all worried about her. But you can tell that she’s obviously lying! I think she’s still trying to sort out her feelings with regards to Hagino.
Noriko won’t stop crying and the girls can’t figure out why until they realize that she needs a diaper change. No one has had any experience with babies and they don’t know what to do. But with the baby still crying, Mari bravely volunteers. The next scene was so funny – the entire room is a mess with wipes and tissues and other stuff al over the place. The threes girls are lying on the floor exhausted. All this for one diaper change? I had to laugh, but at least they ended up with a happy baby.
Hagino is now in the bath, thinking of Mari. She had surfaced behind her at the rock and had caught Mari frantically calling for her in the pouring rain. Hagino also saw that she was crying. Mari walks in with the baby and interrupts her thoughts. She wants Hagino to give Noriko a bath.
The Dorm Chief is stuck at the hospital and can’t get back, but she’s worried about the baby, thinking the girls may end up killing her. Back at the house, Michi is finally writing something down. The Dorm Chief is climbing over mudslides to get back to Noriko. After Mari feeds Noriko, she spits up all over Michi’s notebook! I felt so bad for her. Just when she started to write - it figures!
When everyone is asleep, Hagino calls for Tsubael to come and meet her, just to give her the shell, but Tsubael seems really pleased with the gift. Perhaps shells mean something special?
The disheveled Dorm Chief finally makes it home to find everyone asleep and Noriko fine. She tells the baby that she now has a little sister. Aww! And it turned out to be a nice summer episode after all. Very enjoyable.

@rebecca12

I don’t want to give away too much, but the Master Commander (Shivariel) is attacking/trying to destroy Blue because of it’s connection to the incident on Kamiooki (sp?) Island.
Maybe it’s also because Shivariel wants to capture Mari, but Hagino is interfering with that plan by constantly coming to save her (Mari).

How do you like the series so far?

@LadyOfWicca

I think that shell was intended for Mari. But seeing how she made Mari worry so much, Hagino decided to give it to Tsubael instead. That eel also had me baffled, I thought it was going to attack Hagino.
I also agree with you, this episode was great to watch. The part when Mari jumped “across the ocean,” but really only a couple of feet, had cracking up.

How about you? Do you like the Blue Drop so far?

I do,PiNoypi. The story is very interesting and I like the mystery in it, as well as the sci-fi elements.

I agree that could have been the case with the shell. I don’t know why they bothered showing the eel, if it wasn’t going to attack. Seems odd. And that part you mentioned with Mari was very funny. I had thought the same as you and was surprised she hadn’t gotten very far at all!

Glad you do :slight_smile:

I also found the plot to be a good mix of things you mentioned. The battle scenes, few as they are, are very well constructed. The characters have great personalities, as well, and the voice acting is spot on. The music, IMO, is one of the best parts of the show. Every piece played makes the viewer feel the emotion of the moment, so to speak. (Im also a sucker for piano pieces).

The funny thing is, I actually started watching Blue Drop by accident. I was looking through my VOD service under anime and accidentally chose this show. Decided to just keep watching it - glad I did!

Yes PiNoypi, the music is wonderful too - that can always draw me into something. I’m glad you found this show as well and I hope you have more accidents like this one! :slight_smile:

Episode 8 -

The teacher asks Michi about her script for the play and Michi says that she needs more time, but then tells Mari that it’s almost done. She shuts herself in the library to write and the Dorm Chief has put a sign on the door that the library is off limits until Michi has finished writing, but Michi is still sitting in front of a blank page.
The next morning, Mari wakes up on the floor to find Tsubael hovering over her and asks where Hagino is. Tsubael says that she had gotten up and left to meet a teacher a long time ago – “unlike some people”. Mari rolls over to go back to sleep because it’s the weekend, then realizes she needs to hand in a report and runs out.
Tsubael flies around the house, wondering about the Forime and saying that they are “slovenly, unstable, and indecisive”. She sees a group of girls gushing over pictures of Hagino and gets a little embarrassed. She thinks back to Hagino telling her to release the prisoner and herself saying that it’s too dangerous. But Hagino said there was no reason to keep her locked up. Tsubael knows Azanael is up to no good and wants to watch her, but Hagino tells her that Blue will watch her.
Tsubael comes to the library and reads the sign then goes in to find “an unusually hardworking Forime”, but she was mistaken when she sees what Michi was really doing. Michi still hasn’t written even one word of the play yet. Tsubael thinks they are a “self-sabotaging species” and believes that her Commander is being influenced by them.
Yuko is going over Defense Command reports from the night of the festival. She mentions aliens, but thinks it’s impossible. Hagino comes in and Yuko apologizes for calling her in on a weekend, but she’s concerned about Michi and would like Hagino to check on her and the play. At that moment, Mari barges in to hand in her report.
Aboard Blue, Tsubael releases Azanael and tells her that she has “basic freedom” of the ship, but when Azanael thanks her, Tsubael looks surprised. Azanael goes to the bridge and asks Tsubael where her ship is. She is told that it is repaired and in the hangar, but of course Tsubael must deny her access. Azanael tells her that she doesn’t intend to leave, but smiles to herself, saying “not now, at least”.
Michi is still staring at a blank page. She knows her play will becomes part of Kaio’s history. She looks nervous and apprehensive and tells herself to “get a grip”. She goes to help the gardener, perhaps to calm herself and gather her thoughts, but overhears Hagino and Mari talking about the play. Hagino tells Mari that the previous year, TV reporters were at the festival. As Michi wonders what to do, she encounters Yuko, who excitedly tells her that she heard that the script is practically done. Yuko says that she was worried and Michi tries to tell her something, but Yuko hands her a box – “to keep her going” - and drives off on her motorbike.
Michi, looking guilty, sits alone in the dining room staring at the box. Mari joins her and Michi pushes the box of sweets at her. As Mari helps herself to an Ă©clair, she prattles about how relieved the teacher was about the play and tells Michi that Yuko was receiving pressure from the higher ups. However, when Mari asks Michi to tell her a little of the play’s story, Michi gets up and runs from the room in tears.
On Blue, the computer informs Tsubael that Azanael has chosen quarters and requests permission to stay there. Tsubael knows that it was Onomil’s room and grants permission. Azanael later enters the engine room, sees the damaged emergency controls and wonders if that is where her Onomil died.
Mari tells Hagino that Michi is acting funny and they go to the library to check on her. They find the blank book and realize that Michi hasn’t written anything at all. Then they find a note from Michi where she apologizes and tells them not to look for her. I feel really bad for Michi – she couldn’t handle the pressure and ran away. Actually, she only ran away to her home in town, but when her mother tells her that Mari is there to see her, Michi runs away again. Her mother apologizes to Mari for making the trip for nothing, but Mari ends up getting a little insight into Michi’s childhood, which was nice.
Meanwhile, Azanael is staring at the damaged controls and sees Onomil’s necklace. Tsubael joins her and tells her that what happened was “unpreventable”, but Azanael accuses her of letting Onomil and the crew die. Azanael, really angry now, wants to know why Ekaril and Tsubael are still alive and Tsubael tells the computer to play the record of the engine malfunction. Azanael sees for herself that Ekaril ordered Onomil to evacuate several times, but Onomil wanted to protect the ship. Onomil discovers the problem, but dies before she can report it. Perhaps it was sabotage? Maybe something to do with why the Master Commander wants them destroyed? Tsubael asks Azanael if she understands now, but Azanael leaves, saying she wants to be alone.
While Mari went to Michi’s house, Hagino explains the situation to Yuko and Yuko says she’s really worried about Michi more than anything else. Out in the hallway, Tsubael reports to Hagino and tells her that she showed Azanael the recording and that Azanael has shut herself up in Onomil’s room. Hagino tells Tsubael to give her time and at that moment, Michi runs up to her, out of breath.
Michi meets with Yuko and apologizes to her, telling her that she just couldn’t do it. Yuko tries to calm her, telling her that they can do another play, but Michi cuts her off, telling her that she wants to write it, but then faints. Yuko later tells Hagino and Mari that Michi only bumped her head and it isn’t serious, but is going to keep her in bed for a while. Hagino notes that Michi “really must have suffered”.
Yuko talks to Michi and apologizes to her for driving her so hard. Michi feels like she let everyone down and wonders why she couldn’t write anything. She then looks out the window and sees Hagino and Mari. Does she “see” Tsubael as well? She suddenly gets an image in her mind that looks like Hagino dressed as a warrior and she is guiding Mari with an angel hovering over them that looks just like Tsubael. And Michi has gotten her inspiration of what to write for the play!
When Yuko comes to check on Michi again, she finds her gone. Michi is back in the library, furiously writing and Hagino and Mari agree that “her engine is up and running”. Michi seemed to feel that Tsubael was there, looking over her shoulder. Does she really think Tsubael is an angel? As for Tsubael, she thinks she might be beginning to understand how Ekaril feels. Meanwhile, Azanael sits in Onomil’s room aboard Blue, playing the recording of Onomil and herself together and looking at Onomil’s necklace in her hand. Will she give up her thoughts of revenge, or is she more determined than ever?

so I just read on TAN’s youtube channel that Monical Rail and Hilary Hagg will be voicing the protaganists in Blue Drop. If true, then this might give me a reason to finally get it.

[quote=Tonka]

so I just read on TAN’s youtube channel that Monical Rail and Hilary Hagg will be voicing the protaganists in Blue Drop.

FFFFFFF********CCCCCCCKKKKKKK YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! Even if I didn’t enjoy this show, I would buy it just for this reason alone! I can’t wait to hear it now!

These were actually the two VA’s I was thinking of when they announced it, so this is doubly awesome!

Also, I didn’t have to look too hard for Anime Network’s channel, as there was an add on the home page.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=animenetwork

The cat finally came out of the bag this week why the master commander is so willing to destroy Blue. This is actually a pretty good series, I look forward to the next episode.

Catching up! :slight_smile:

Episode 9 -

Michi’s play will be loosely based on the story of Joan of Arc, but from the way she describes it, it sounds more like the story of what is going on around her with Joan as Hagino and the young girl as Mari.
Odd that Mari has a feeling that she knows Hagino’s ship as well as Hagino herself from long ago. As Hagino and Mari shop for some items for the play, Tsubael is watching them through the bird. Azanael is observing as well.
When the rain causes Hagino and Mari to take shelter in an abandoned restaurant, the girls share a dream and “contact telepathy” is mentioned. But more of the story of the island incident becomes clear through the dream and it shows how Hagino saved Mari. Mari tearfully thanks Hagino for saving her when they wake up, but is still unaware of the entire truth. And Azanael is now even more upset that Hagino saved Mari, a Forime, instead of saving her Onomil.

Episode 10 -

Michi has finally finished the play and now Yuko insists that Michi direct it as well. Tsubael and Azanael are still “observing” from Blue and Tsubael even seems a little happy that Michi finished the play. However, Michi is having trouble assigning the roles for the play.
Mari now knows that Hagino saved her on the island, but still doesn’t know what happened and Hagino can’t bring herself to tell Mari the entire story. She cuts her finger and Mari discovers that Arume blood is white!
Michi gets permission for the play to be a joint project and is finally able to assign the roles. As I thought, she cast Hagino as Joan and Mari as the young girl. Ironically she has even cast the Dorm Chief as the jailer. Of course Hagino can say her lines flawlessly, but it turns out that Mari can’t act at all!
Hagino takes Mari on board Blue. Azanael is haunted by the memory of how Onomil died and presses something in her necklace, causing her ship to activate. Mari is having a wonderful time on Blue and Hagino tries to tell her again about the island, but there is a sudden emergency. All of Blue’s systems are down and Hagino is needed. She tells Tsubael to take Mari to the living quarters but Azanael volunteers to take care of Mari and they let her. Hagino really isn’t thinking here! She must have too much on her mind with Blue, otherwise she should have known better than to let her friend and her prisoner be left alone together.
Azanael takes Mari to Onomil’s room and Mari finds out about the relationship between Azanael and Onomil. Then Azanael tells Mari her version of events leading to Onomil’s death and what happened on the island, blaming Hagino for all of it. Meanwhile, Hagino has been trying to get into the locked room and Tsubael comes to help her. They finally get past the locked door, but the damage to Mari has already been done.
Azanael uses the necklace again to set off an explosion and she makes her get away; now that she has sabotaged the ship and disabled it, her mission is complete and she is returning to Novaal.

Episode 11 -

Tsubael returns Mari to shore and tells her that she’s sorry for what happened, but “it was an accident no one could have prevented” and she asks Mari not to blame Hagino.
Hagino is still in Onomil’s room, crying, and Onomil appears to her. I wonder why she appeared to Hagino and not Azanael – it might have done Azanael some good. Hagino apologizes to Onomil, but Onomil tells Hagino – “don’t shoulder everything alone” before disappearing.
Mari can’t concentrate on the play. She visits Yuko and asks her if her parents really killed each other. The teacher later berates herself for revealing classified information and then realizes that someone must have told Mari about what happened. She again thinks of “aliens”.
Azanael is back on Novaal and sees that a megabomber is being deployed. She asks about it and finds out that the Master Commander ordered it. Azanael questions Shivariel and is told to take a “vacation.”
After Michi yells at everyone – nice to see she has a backbone! – the play starts coming together and even Mari is finding her rhythm. She thinks that maybe her parents did not kill themselves, since they were found huddled together, as if they were trying to protect something. Mari?
Mari is alone at the pool talking to a hologram of Hagino. Hagino is finally able to apologize to Mari for the accident at the island and Mari yells at her to not shoulder things herself – just what Onomil told her. Yuko finds Mari at the pool and thinks that she is rehearsing her lines, until she sees a reflection of Hagino in the water. A large ship appears overhead, accompanied by smaller ships. Is it the megabomber? Everyone see it and wonders what it is.
Hagino must go, but Mari tells her that she isn’t finished talking to her yet. I think she is worried about Hagino and this is her way of telling her to be careful and safe. I think Hagino realizes this as well when she promises Mari that she will return.
Blue is pretty much helpless when the megabomber shows up on the radar. As Mari recites her lines for the play, you can see that she is really speaking of Hagino now and that is perhaps why she can say the lines with such feeling and emotion. Everyone notices.
Hagino fights to defend Blue, but it looks like they will be defeated when they suddenly succeed in destroying the bomb! They don’t know how they did it, but it looks as if Onomil’s ghost might have helped them out. And Azanael may have discovered the reason Shivariel wants Blue destroyed!

It’s funny how good fiction can affect you. I just watched the finale of Blue Drop and the more I think back on it, the sadder I get. Wicca, I’ll leave it to you to do the summary. Despite what you’ve said, you have a real gift for it. But I will say that this episode is like a delayed sock in the gut.

Oh, and after you watch the epilogue, go back to episode 1 and watch the prologue again

I have to agree with you there. The end left me speechless for a few moments, and it took a little while to sink in. Even now, despite the fact I finished it over a month ago, I have trouble putting into words how it made me feel. I was definitely a bit shocked by how everything ended, despite the fact that the show clearly gave indications it was heading in that direction.

It was definitely sad, but it was handled quite well. It was a rather memorable ending.

It seems to me that the way this leaves off is wide open for a sequel series of some sort.

Technically, this is a prequel of sorts to the manga. It predates the event in that by a few years. The manga actually focuses on the war between the two races, rather than than any events leading up to it.

I also agree with you Newshawk. Like what dragonrider_cody said, the ending left me in some sort of zombie-like state. I knew how the ending was going to happen, but I was still left in shock.

Great show indeed :slight_smile: Curious to see how the English dub will turn out

Episode 12 -

The school prepares for the festival as the news reports that sightings of a giant aircraft are probably a prank since the authorities can’t confirm anything. Hagino returns and everyone is excited to see her except Mari. She seems to take it very calmly.
A plane is investigating a report of strange lights over the ocean. The pilot reports that there is volcanic activity but no sign of any strange lights. The plane gets destroyed by Novaal. Shivariel says that the main invasion force is arriving soon and is confident of an easy victory over the Forime. Azanael walks in and brings up the fact that Blue must still be eliminated.
As the girls continue to work on the play, the costumes are shown and Hagino’s resembles her real uniform. Funny that she was worried her costume revealed too much when it covers more than her military uniform does! Yuko praises everyone working on the play for a job well done.
Azanael brings up Kamioki Island and the fact that Shivariel was actually the one behind the accident. The Emil Force Drive was caused to malfunction on purpose and leak psycho-reactive waves in order to test the effects on the Arume and the Forime. Now Azanael accuses Shivariel of wanting to destroy Blue to get rid of the evidence and Shivariel doesn’t deny it. Azanael pulls her weapon and holds it to Shivariel’s head, accusing her of killing Onomil. She pulls the trigger and shoots Shivariel. A hole appears in the side of her head, but Shivariel suddenly doesn’t look real.
The girls in the play enjoy lunch together and Mari says that she admires “the way everyone worked together towards a common goal.” Then the Dorm Chief gives a really inspiring speech.
As the fake Shivariel disappears, the real one appears on screen and admits that Blue’s accident had been planned before they even left Arume. Another copy of Shivariel materializes and she says the “test” was really “to study the substance obtained through a critical reaction to the Emil Force Drive for our Thought Condensing Weapon.” The guards are ordered to take Azanael and she sets off a grenade that starts a fire, allowing her to escape. As the order is given to eliminate Azanael, the real Shivariel is on the bridge and calls her a fool.
Yuko calls Hagino to her office and pulls a gun on her. She accuses Hagino of being an alien and wants to know their agenda. Hagino is honest with her and tells her about the coming invasion. Yuko is shocked as Hagino confirms it, but Hagino says that she also wants to protect the planet. And it looks like that Michi overhears them.
Azanael is pinned down in the hangar and fighting the guards. Onomil suddenly appears to her, but says that she’s a figment of Azanael’s imagination. More Onomils appear – is this the thought weapon? Shivariel’s voice asks Azanael if she’s impressed and another Shivariel takes shape in front of Azanael and says that “with our Thought Condensing Weapon we should easily rule the Forimes for the next thousand years, harnessing their own fears.” With this, Azanael is finally shot down by the guards.
There is a pre-festival event and Michi’s parents are there, but her mother notices that Michi is very subdued. She asks Michi if she’s sick, but Michi says it’s nothing. However, she must be thinking about what she overheard earlier. Mari gets a really nice surprise when she sees that her grandmother has come. She goes to her and thanks her for sending her to the school.
Hagino and Tsubael watch all the pre-festival activity from a hill and say that there isn’t much time left. Yuko is angry and thinks back to her conversation with Hagino who tells her that they won’t be able to defend the planet with their Forime technology.
There is another scene of Onomil and Azanael in the past when Onomil gives Azanael a necklace that matches her own and tells her that it will be a good luck charm. The guards in the hangar examine Azanael and determine that she doesn’t have long to live. Azanael’s blood flows out to the necklace and the necklace activates the weapons system on her ship, killing the guards and starting another fire.
As everyone gathers at the school’s bonfire, Hagino and Mari are back at the swimming pool to finish their talk. Hagino tearfully admits that she was happy that Mari survived the accident on the island, but was afraid to tell her the truth. Mari slaps her and says it’s for not telling her the truth. Then Mari pushes Hagino into the pool and says it’s for making her worry. Then Mari jumps in after her and joins hands with Hagino, telling her she loves her. Tsubael is watching from the bleachers and says that she likes to see her Commander smile before she disappears to leave them alone.
Surprisingly, Azanael is able to escaper Novaal in her ship, but Shivariel says to forget her. The main objective now is to destroy Blue and Shivariel orders all ship to attack. I’m guessing that the barely alive Azanael is also on her way to Blue to make amends and tell Hagino the truth as well as warn her of the coming attack.

WOW! I just saw ep1 of this and its amazing. Very powerful, I am looking forward to watching the rest of the eps tonight.

Thanks AN for all the good shows to watch