Blue Drop /Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku

[quote=redshirt1]
I actually have the dvds to this series, I bet you will enjoy it @LadyOfWicca.[/quote]

You are probably right. I’ll take your word for it!

Episode 2 -

Mari has a nightmare about Hagino and the ship. Did the end of last week’s episode really happen or was it part of Mari’s dream? I found that a bit strange. If it was just a dream, how does Mari know what the ship looks like? And if it wasn’t a dream, it kind of leaves you hanging about what happened next.
It turns out that Hagino is the commander of the ship and the bird is a communication device. I like that bird! There is some more mystery when Hagino is reminded that their investigation must resume and Hagino wants to wait because she needs time to think. There is a reference to an accident.
In class, the teacher seats Mari by Hagino, asking her to take care of her. Mari still rebuffs her attempts at being friendly. Mari also seems not to want to make friends with anyone else or maybe it is just too difficult for her. Later, Mari tells Michiko that she doesn’t remember anything before going to live with her grandmother. She said that she survived a tsunami and shock caused her memory loss. Yet, I think it’s odd that in that one recurring flash, she is surrounded by flames, not water.
Another mystery – who is the teacher sending an e-mail to that she is monitoring the “target subject”? I am guessing that the target subject is obviously Mari.
It seems that Hagino is a bit of a rebel. She instructs her subordinate to ignore some communications. Also, when she sees Mari from the window, she knows that “she’s the one”. Then she arranges to move into Mari’s room. When Mari asks if she will kill her, Hagino responds “never again” and yet I find it odd that she doesn’t seem to remember trying to kill her the first time.
I thought it was cool that the image of Hagino’s subordinate rose up from the middle of the bed to tell Hagino that another ship is coming. They are surprised that Mari can see her as well, but Mari is scared and wants to know what is happening. When Hagino takes her by the shoulders to calm her, there is a blue light and Hagino screams.
While this is going on, the teacher is in a room giving a talk about Kamioki Island, which was wiped out by a tsunami (Mari’s past?). She says that after a five year investigation, the cause is still unknown and then mentions the fact that about half the island’s population was murdered before the tsunami hit. All this while Hagino is on the floor in pain and Mari asks, “What are you?”
It is all very confusing and mysterious, but I am beginning to see how some things may fit together.

I find some of this really confusing.

At first, I was confused about Ship 5, is that Hagino’s ship? Apparently so. That’s the one that was needing repairs; that the main ship has been looking for. It was confusing because I wasn’t sure at first which people were on which ship. They didn’t make that really clear.
The commander of the main ship has apparently lost her friend/lover? Am I reading this right? And all she has left is that little hologram? I suppose this person died on the island as well and she’ll blame Mari.
I, too, was confused about the tsunami/fire conflict, but I guess the ‘aliens’ covered up the murders of all the people by using some sort of flood.
So, anyway, in Ep #3, Hagino’s subordinate calls the school and poses as her mother to get Hagino out of school so she can return to the ship and they get ready to meet the Mother Ship.
Back at school, Mari is missing Hagino more than she realized and daydreams about her, then at night, she gets involved in cooking with her dormmates and causes quite a disaster when everyone finds out that she REALLY can’t cook!
But probably my favorite part is when the Homeroom teacher is given a ride by the Headmaster and all the girls at school see her get out of his car. All the girls start whistling and cat-calling; and she gets so embarrassed. But, I really wonder about the look that passed between the Headmaster and the girl that always has the stick in her mouth. That was really odd.

[quote=Slowhand]
I find some of this really confusing.

At first, I was confused about Ship 5, is that Hagino’s ship? Apparently so. That’s the one that was needing repairs; that the main ship has been looking for. It was confusing because I wasn’t sure at first which people were on which ship. They didn’t make that really clear.
The commander of the main ship has apparently lost her friend/lover? Am I reading this right? And all she has left is that little hologram? I suppose this person died on the island as well and she’ll blame Mari.
I, too, was confused about the tsunami/fire conflict, but I guess the ‘aliens’ covered up the murders of all the people by using some sort of flood.
So, anyway, in Ep #3, Hagino’s subordinate calls the school and poses as her mother to get Hagino out of school so she can return to the ship and they get ready to meet the Mother Ship.
Back at school, Mari is missing Hagino more than she realized and daydreams about her, then at night, she gets involved in cooking with her dormmates and causes quite a disaster when everyone finds out that she REALLY can’t cook!
But probably my favorite part is when the Homeroom teacher is given a ride by the Headmaster and all the girls at school see her get out of his car. All the girls start whistling and cat-calling; and she gets so embarrassed. But, I really wonder about the look that passed between the Headmaster and the girl that always has the stick in her mouth. That was really odd.
[/quote]

Father/Daughter, that was the odd look!
Slick

Episode 3 -

I agree that it is a little confusing, but I think things will be explained eventually - perhaps in the next episode.
Hagino is having bad dreams about what happened on the island. It seems to have been some kind of accident after all. I wonder if this is why she is avoiding contact with her people. When Hagino touches Mari’s cheek at breakfast, there is that flash of memory again with a child surrounded by flames. This has to be Mari.
An image of Tsubael, Hagino’s subordinate, appears again to let her know that Novaal is still coming. I’m not sure if this is the name of the ship or the name of the commander, but at least it is now known that the name of Hagino’s ship is “Blue” and is also known as ship number five. And Mari sees Tsubael again.
Tsubael poses as Hagino’s mother in order to call the school and get Hagino excused, so she can return to the ship. The commander of the other ship calls her “Ekaril”. Is this Hagino’s real name? There is also someone named Azanael on the other ship that has a flashback while holding a necklace. The flashback is about someone named Onomil and she seems to have been the original commander of Blue. Interesting. The other ship has come to get the details of the accident.
Back at school, Mari finds out it’s a night when everyone cooks. Apparently she can’t cook either. The pasta she made was awful, but I liked the scenes of her trying to cook, until she is chased out of the kitchen. Later, it turns out that she never cooked before. And the episode ends too soon with the ships meeting. I have a feeling the next episode is going to explain a lot. Looking forward to it!

Episode 4

A lot of stuff happened in this episode

Mari tries to laze around on a day off, she sleeps late and goes to breakfast in her pjs… much to some of the other girls’ amusement. She does some laundry and then wanders through the library, where she sees Michiko and finds out that she likes to write her own stories. Michi swears her to secrecy because she is embarrassed about it. Mari agrees. Akane then takes Mari & Michi out to lunch.
Meanwhile, Hagino reports to her Commander about why she and her ship have been out of contact for 5 years and about the ‘accident’ that occurred that killed part of their landing party and all the people on the island.
Azanael, who lost her lover in the incident, tries to attack Hagino, but the Commander has her taken away.
Hagino also reports to the Commander about Mari, who was the only human not killed in the incident. She tells the Commander she is still investigating why that is. The Commander tells her to go back to where they were and they leave. But after they leave, the Commander sends a probe to retrieve Mari, hopefully alive. Hagino sees this and sets out to intercept it.
Akane, Mari & Michi finish their lunch and begin to talk about what they want to do in life. Mari lets it slip that Michi wants to write. Akane says she wants to cook. After a bit, some thugs come in and spoil things and they go outside and start to fight - in the midst of things, Mari gets taken by the thugs and driven away to the waterfront.
As she struggles in the car with the thugs, the probe from the Commander’s ship rises from the water. The thugs run away, leaving her. She tries to run, but tentacles come from the probe and capture her.
Just in time Hagino arrives and shoots the probe to pieces. As Hagino takes off her suit (to reveal her uniform, no less!), Mari dissolves into tears and hugs her. Akane & Michi arrive and are surprised to see Hagino there. Akane muses that Hagino and Mari are drawn to each other. This time when Hagino & Mari touch, there are no flashbacks…
So, is Hagino now just openly defying orders? Will the other ships start attacking? Will they want Mari for some sort of ALIEN PROBING next? Good grief… And I said I didn’t want to watch little girl anime.

To be fair, high school juniors aren’t exactly “little” girls, that would be the girls in Alice Academy…

I’m not sure what more I can add, but this is interesting enough to me to keep watching. I’m curious why the ships seem to have only female crewmembers. Lesbians From Outer Space? With tentacle probes no less. Some shades of … crap, I can’t think of the name of the show now. I’ll edit this later when it comes to me.

LOL guys!

And did you notice that everyone on the ships so far - all of their names end in “L”?

Episode 4 -

Mari falls out of bed and wakes up on the floor of her room. She has a late breakfast in her pajamas and the other girls make fun of her, saying that she is wasting her day off. Mari washes the dishes does some laundry and wanders around the house, still in her pajamas, thinking she has the place to herself. She finds Michi in the library. Michi writes stories, but doesn’t want anyone to know and asks Mari to keep her secret.
Meanwhile, Ekaril – this must be her real name – meets with the Master Commander. She asks for details of the accident and why they hadn’t communicated in so long. Ekaril turns in her report of the accident and says she was waiting for the ship to restore its functions, which is why they couldn’t communicate. The accident was caused by the Emil Force Drive going berserk, killing the entire landing party and one of the navigators. In addition 800 “Forimes” died. Is this what they call humans? Ekaril takes complete responsibility for all that happened. Azanael calls Ekaril a murderer and blames her for Onomil’s death. She pulls her weapon, but the guards disarm her and take her out of the room.
Back at school, Akane sees Mari and Michi on the balcony and takes them with her into town. Mari notices all the empty shops and Michi says that it used to be livelier. They go to a restaurant where the chef has studied in France. Over a delicious meal, Akane reveals that she wants to steal his secrets, because she wants to be a good cook and the dorm chief says that skills must be stolen. Mari accidentally reveals Michi’s secret about writing stories. She apologizes, but says that she admires both of them because they know what they want in life. Akane tells Mari to be more honest with herself, but when Mari questions her, she says that if she doesn’t already know then never mind. Two men walk in and come to the table, telling Akane that they have unfinished business.
On the ship, Ekaril tells the Master Commander that one Forime seemed to be unaffected by the accident and she is currently investigating why. I know this is Mari. Master Commander Shivariel gives her permission to continue her investigation and they part, but once Shivariel sees Mari in the report, she changes her mind. Tsubael reports to Ekaril that Ship One – Novaal – has launched a probe and pinpoints where it is headed. The probe has reached its destination and is assessing the target, but Hagino has left the ship and is racing to the probe’s location. There is another scene of Shivariel saying that she wants Mari “alive if possible”.
In the restaurant’s alley, Akane is fighting the men with Mari’s and Michi’s help. One pulls a knife and Michi says she will go call the police, but a car pulls across the alley and they grab Michi. Mari saves her and gets taken instead. Mari fights and gives the men a hard time. They park the car by the water, but the probe shows up. The men run away, but the probe targets Mari before she can run. Its tentacles catch her, but something attacks the probe and it drops Mari. It’s Hagino to the rescue! She destroys the probe completely and saves Mari.
On the ship, Shivariel wants the commanders of all ships – except number five – summoned to receive an urgent message. I get the feeling that Hagino is in big trouble! And I’m worried for Mari. Too many people want to get hold of her.
Once Mari realizes Hagino saved her, she seems to have a change of heart towards her. Mari asks why Hagino didn’t come to save her sooner. She tells her that she was very scared and throws herself into a surprised Hagino’s arms. Akane and Michi arrive and Michi wonders if Mari has finally been honest about her feelings. Akane says that Mari is fascinated by Hagino and that they are drawn to each other. Michi agrees with her that being drawn together is the important part. I wonder how the relationship will change between Mari and Hagino now, if at all.

And now the main ship is attacking ship #5. Huh? They’re all ticked off about someone’s lover getting killed in an accident, now they want to off all the rest of them?

i like this series but its in subtitles

I actually just finished this series up, and I have to say that I’m rather impressed by how it all came together at the end. I was actually left a bit in shock, not because of how it ended, but because of how it was done. This was a surprisingly good show and I’m glad to see the reviews were right on this one.

YOU GUYS ARE IN FOR A TREAT! :slight_smile:

tell me what the hell the treat is plz

I just meant that the show gets pretty good as it goes along, and I think most of the people here watching it will really like where it goes.

PLUS this show LITERALLY ends with a bang! :stuck_out_tongue: But it shames that these shows always have to have such tragic endings. I for once would really like to see one with at least a semi-happy ending.

If you want a happy ending, do a Google search for “Maiorita Tenshi”.

-Joe

Well, unless it’s streaming somewhere LEGALLY, I will never get to see it. I’m not saying there aren’t shows that have happy endings, it just seems that these types of shows often end more often tragically than not.

So I just finished watching Blue Drop, and I have to say I loved it. I never watched anime before this series, but I think I’m into it now.

I think I might have to pick up the DVD later on. I liked every aspect of the show: the characters, story, music, etc.

All this led me to join this great site, and I hope I can watch more great anime.

Well, I’m glad you enjoyed it, and to see I’m no the only one who liked it. We’re glad it brought you here, and we hope to see a lot of you! :slight_smile:

Thanks dragonrider_cody, appreciate it.

About Blue Drop, I just wish more could have been done with the ending. Like answer the open questions left, for example:

Spoiler: What happens to all the characters in the aftermath? :
-Michi: does she become a famous writer? And how was she chosen as a peace negotiator for Earth?
-Akane: does she become the cook she always wanted to be? Does she reconcile with her father?
-Tsubael: what happens to her after being ejected from BLUE?
-Hiroko (Dorm master): I really don’t have any questions for her…
-Yuko Sugarawa: does she continue her life as an investigator? Does she become Mari’s guardian?
-And finally Mari: Basically, where does she go from here? Does she accept Hagino’s sacrifice? I just have so many questions left about Mari.
It would have been nice to see Mari, a few years into the future, out near a lake or something and then she sees one of those white sea birds present throughout the show. From that, she’ll be reminded of Hagino, or think Hagino is still alive, or something else special. But thats just my opinion.

Also Im not quite sure how I feel about the yuri element of the show. IMO, Mari and Hagino’s relationship is more like “friend love,” but just borderline romnce. But I guess that just how I want to see it.

Other than that, I still need to pick up the DVD. Im going to rewatch the entire series as soon as I get it.

Episode 5 -

The Director is in the Headmaster’s office complaining about a dorm full of troublemakers and the ringleader is Akane. The Headmaster takes some medication. Is he ill? And the Director wants him to talk to Akane.
Hagino tells Mari of the Arume and that they come from “another phase of the m-brane multiverse” and are not space aliens as Mari thinks. The Tsubael image tells Hagino that she won’t understand the explanation anyway because Mari is too primitive. Hagino gets a call from Master Commander Shivariel to say that a probe was lost in her area. Hagino asks why a probe was in the area and Shivariel says that it was a malfunction. As they talk, Tsubael tells Mari that their original mission was to survey the planet, but there was an accident when they arrived and Hagino felt responsible. The dorm chief walks in the room and sits right on top of the Tsubael image, causing Mari to gasp, but Tsubael comes out of her stomach and warns her to be quiet. You just have to laugh at this! The dorm chief invites them to her home for the summer break.
After Hagino and Shivariel talk, Shivariel orders ship two – Kelbil to destroy ship five.
Michi has been asked to write a play for the school festival and refused, but Mari says that she should do it.
The Director walks into the Headmaster’s office and finds him on the floor, unconscious and he is taken to the hospital in an ambulance. She makes an announcement that the Headmaster collapsed due to stress caused by the misbehavior of certain students and she intends to enforce stricter discipline.
Blue is attacked by Kelbil and badly damaged, but manages to get away.
The dorm chief tells Akane that she should visit her father, the Headmaster, but she doesn’t want to. Mari and Michi accidentally overhear the conversation and Akane tells them her story. Mari says that she must go to her father. That night Akane tries to sneak out of the dorm, but is caught by Hagino. The dorm chief, Michi and Mari all give a different excuse for Akane to leave and she goes, while Hagino is told the real reason.
Kelbil finds Blue and gets ready to attack again, but Blue is ready and damages the ship, causing Kelbil to retreat.
Akane gets to the hospital in time to see her father and returns to find the dorm residents looking for breakfast with the dorm chief, Hagino, Mari and Michi in the kitchen trying to get it ready. They tell Akane that their punishment for breaking curfew is a week of kitchen duty and Akane takes charge!
And poor Michi! The class votes that Michi will write a play for the festival, leaving her no choice in the matter. I hope that she really can write!

So I bought the DVD yesterday, and here are my thoughts:

It contains all 13 episodes on two discs which is great. But I am disapppointed by the extras included.
Included is a clean version of the OP and ED, concept art and cover art (like 10 images), and previews for other Sentai products.
I just wish there could have been more extras, like commentary from producers.

Despite the lack of extras, I am still happy with my purchase, and I got it for a great price too. BTW, Im in the middle of rewatching the whole series and I can say Im glad I discovered this anime.