Broken Blade

###Broken Blade

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: Mecha, military, politics, tragedy, war
Objectionable content: Significant
Running time: 50 minutes (each)
Vintage: 2010-05-29

Premiere dates:
2010-05-29 (Japan, Book One - The Time of Awakening)
2010-06-26 (Japan, Book Two - The Split Path)
2010-09-25 (Japan, Book Three - The Mark of the Assassin’s Dagger)
2010-10-30 (Japan, Book Four - The Earth of Calamity)
2011-01-22 (Japan, Book Five - The Horizon Between Life and Death)
2011-03-26 (Japan, Book Six - Enclave of Lamentations)

Plot Summary: The inhabitants of the continent of Cruzon are born with the ability to freely control quartz. Technology based on this power allows them to perform a great multitude of tasks such as shoot projectiles and pilot mobile suits (called Golems in this society). Rygart Arrow is an un-sorcerer, a rare individual who is unable to levitate even the smallest crystal. Living with his brother at a farm, he receives a letter from an old friend, Hodr, the current king. Close companion of the king and queen when they were students at Assam Military School, Arrow is informed that a war is about to occur. Hodr called him because an ancient type of Golem has been found in a mining shaft. No one has been able to move it and Queen Sigyn, an expert engineer, suspects that maybe an un-sorcerer might be the key to activate it.

Broken Blade info on ANN
Broken Blade Official JP Website

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES BROKEN BLADE

HOUSTON, October 10, 2011— Breaking News! Sentai Filmworks today announced thecompany’s acquisition of one of the year’s most eagerly awaited anime titles; BROKEN BLADE, an epic new series of animated films based on the international manga bestseller from Yunosuke Yoshinaga (Rampage.) Created in six 50 minute installments, the mega production is helmed by Chief Director Tetsuro Amino (Shiki, Jewell BEM Hunter Lime,) and Director Nobuyoshi Habara (DNAngel, Negima!, Fafner) working from screenplays by screenwriter Masashi Sogo (Bleach, Gantz, Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin.) Music duties for the blockbuster production will be handled by Yoshihisa Hirano (Death Note, Beyblade, Ouran High School Host Club)

In Cruzon, children are born with the ability to control quartz. This power allows them to levitate simple objects—or control enormous and complex mobile battle suits called Golems. But when an ancient Golem is discovered during the height of a brutal war, a young king and his beautiful queen turn to Rygart Arrow. Though an “un-sorcerer”, Rygart can miraculously pilot this ancient and powerful weapon. But in war, school friends can turn into bitter enemies and allies have suspicious motives. Strap yourself in, power up, and prepare for the heavy metal mecha action of BROKEN BLADE!

Digital distribution of the first 50 minute installment of BROKEN BLADE set will begin this October on The Anime Network and through many other outlets. The home video release will follow in 2012 with releases on DVD and Blu-Ray.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, including hit series like Highschool of the Dead, Guin Saga, Needless, Canaan and Angel Beats. Sentai Filmworks programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network and YouTube.

Forgot to post this at the time.

Broken Blade is finally up and running on Comcast. Only thing is they put them up by episode title and not by number, so it’ll kinda hard which one’s ep. 2 and on, for the casual, everyday Joe/Jane that is.

I’m going to bed, I’ll watch em later today.

[quote=Tonka]
Broken Blade is finally up and running on Comcast. Only thing is they put them up by episode title and not by number, so it’ll kinda hard which one’s ep. 2 and on, for the casual, everyday Joe/Jane that is.

I’m going to bed, I’ll watch em later today.[/quote]

You can always go to Watch Online and click on Broken Blade Info, it will give you a listing of the episodes by name.

Of course, going to ANN will give you the same info, but I’m trying to keep this in-house. :cheer:

Partial Cast List:

ADR Director: Steven Foster

Emily Neves as Sigyn Erster
Greg Ayres as Rygart Arrow
Leraldo Anzaldua as Zees

Brittney Karbowski as Cleo Saburafu
Kalob Martinez as Hodr
Maggie Flecknoe as Lee
Rob Mungle as Daldr
Shelley Calene-Black as Narvi Stryza

Andy McAvin as Elekt
Chris Ayres as General True
David Gorgritz as Loggin G. Garf Ensance
Larry Christian as Regatz
Luci Christian as Sakura

Source: The Fandom Post

Plan on watching this, or at least starting it, soon. Probably Sunday. Going to have to write down the correct order or something, though, since they are listed alphabetically with no indication to the correct order.

FYI this is the order Comcast has them listed:

Fortress Of Lamentation
The Gap Between Life & Death
The Land Of Calamity
The Path Of Separation
Scars From An Assassin’s Blade
The Time Of Awakening

Correct order should be (as far as I can tell):

The Time Of Awakening
The Path Of Separation
The Land Of Calamity
Fortress Of Lamentation

You can always go to Watch Online and click on Broken Blade Info, it will give you a listing of the episodes by name.

Yes, I’m sure a lot of people watching it on cable are eager to do that. Not that a forum post is much better but I figured it was better then just complaining, which is what I was going to do originally. The order I come up with was correct, though, so I didn’t need the list anyway.

[size=16]COMCAST USERS[/size]

‘Broken Blade’ episodes are listed out of order, here is the correct viewing order:

The Time Of Awakening
The Path Of Separation
The Land Of Calamity
Fortress Of Lamentation

The episode order will be fixed by early next week.

Thanks to tonka for noticing first, and to Tanrim for the list. :slight_smile:

[size=15]Starts Feb. 2nd on ANVOD
Feb. 3rd @ 1am EST on the AN Online Player[/size]

I’m super hyped about this. I’ve been rather peeved that I don’t have Comcast available near me as it’s sounded like an awesome show.

Since the mod tools are not working the way that would be logical bumping this thread so people can find it .

This anime is amazing! The story is wonderful and the music is gorgeous!

Greg Ayres voicing Rygart Arrow in the dub is really the only complaint I have so far. I normally like his voice for his characters… but it’s just too goofy/young-sounding in this case, imho.

Finally got to rewatch this on BD, and this was ef’en GORGEOUS both visually and audibly. The 5.1: simply awesome; every groan and whisper of the mechs, the music both hauntinly beautiful and epic, and the storyline simply classic. Makes me salivate in anticipation for the next 6 movies, which will never be…

:frowning:

Well at least we still the manga…oh, wait we don’t…

:frowning:

I haven’t watched the entirety of this yet, but I agree that the Bluray looks and sounds amazing. Sentai has really put out some stunning high-def releases recently. I wish some other companies could as be reliable on video and audio quality as they are.

I’m looking forward to the rest. :slight_smile:

Oh, wow, just finished seeing the final movied on VOD today. That ending just made me want more.
:cheer:

Sadly I didn’t get to experience this with surround sound. The visual quality was pretty awesome on blu-ray and on an almost 50" 1080 HDTV, but the sound was gimped for my presentation as the speakers on said TV are rather weak. Didn’t bring the series down though IMO. The blu-ray is the only way to go on this, having seen both versions.

Had it been subbed-only I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it, but with the excellent dub it made for a fun group watch session. I wish the series had gone into more detail on the backstory of the continent and its politics, and it really seemed like there were many, many more mechs by the end than either side said that they had at the beginning. The ending clip where the main character’s brother sees that his brother (main char) has been involved in the fighting and starts to have a moral crisis about it and the surviving other heroes just laugh it off was pretty funny and unexpected.

Did anyone else think it was funny when one of the villains mocked Greg Ayres’ (main character) inability to use the magic quartz-shooting gun and instead had to “throw rocks to fight”? Seeing that quartz is basically a rock, I was rofling to that.

Speaking of which, the Sentai promotional material promises “Heavy Metal Action”, but everything is made of clay or quartz.

On dub voices, I was afraid during Queen Sigyn’s speaking roles as, if memory serves, Emily Neves can kill you with her voice :wink:

love mecha shows. This one is of a very high quality in my opininon. Just about to finish episode 6 tonight!

And then the depression will set in … :wink: