Btooom!

BTOOOM!

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, NEET, online computer gaming(, survival, survival game
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: (TAN) Ryota Sakamoto is transported from playing the hit BTOOOM! video game to being stranded on an island with a day’s provisions, a bag of bombs, a crystal embedded in his hand and a hole in his memory. It doesn’t take long to see what’s going on after the first person Ryota meets tries to kill him. SOMEONE is recreating the game, and the island is filled with unwilling players, each armed with one of many explosive weapons called BIM. Ryota’s an ace BTOOOM! player, but this version of the game has no reset switch, and there’s only one way to win: kill seven other people before they kill you! The action is ultra-violent, ultra-graphic and ultra-lethal as the ultimate blood sport is unleashed in BTOOOM!
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2012-10-04

ANN Info Page
BTOOOM! Official JP Homepage

Sentai Press Release

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “BTOOOM!”

HOUSTON, September 29, 2012 — Load, lock and get ready for action in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: BTOOOM! Prepare to be blown away by this hard hitting series directed by Kotono Watanabe, with scripts by Yousuke Kuroda (High School of the Dead, Hellsing Ultimate), and character designs by Takahiro Kishida (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Armored War Goddess).

In the blink of the mind’s eye, Ryota Sakamoto suddenly finds himself transported from playing the hit BTOOOM! video game to being stranded on a mysterious island, equipped with a day’s worth of provisions, a bag of bombs, a strange crystal embedded in his left hand and a huge gaping hole in his memory. But it doesn’t take long to figure out what’s going on, especially after the first person Ryota meets tries to kill him. SOMEONE is attempting to recreate the ultra-violent BTOOOM! game in real life, and the island has been filled with an army of other unwilling players, each armed with one of the multiple variants of explosive weapons called BIM. Fortunately, Ryota’s an ace BTOOOM! player, but this insane version of the game has no reset switch or second lives, and there’s only one way off the island: kill seven other people before they can kill you! Can Ryota repurpose his game based skills fast enough to survive? The action is ultra-violent, ultra-graphic and ultra-lethal as the ultimate blood sport is unleashed in BTOOOM!

BTOOOM! will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2013.

About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like High School of the Dead, Towanoquon, Samurai Girls, Guin Saga, Needless and Angel Beats as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuf and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network, Google Play and YouTube.

Madhouse Makes TV Anime of Btooom! Survival Action Manga

posted on 2012-06-06 11:06 EDT
Junya Inoue’s story of NEET young man trapped in real version of net game

Madhouse’s Btooom! Survival Action Anime’s Promo Streamed

posted on 2012-08-10 00:34 EDT
May’n, Nano perform theme songs; Kanata Hongou, Suzuko Mimori, Toru Ohkawa, Miyuki Sawashiro, Yūichi Nakamura lead cast

Man, there’s a lot of good looking series coming this Fall!
Here’s another one that looks like it’ll be rather cool.

Btooom! TV Anime Slated for October 4

posted on 2012-09-11 23:31 EDT

Btooom! Opening Theme’s Animated Music Video Posted by Nano

posted on 2012-09-14 17:00 EDT
New York-born singer’s “No pain, No game” on sale 1 week after anime’s October 4 debut

Btooom! Survival Action Anime’s TV Ads Streamed

posted on 2012-09-20 12:05 EDT
Ryōta Sakamoto narrates intro to MADHOUSE anime premiering in October

Hmmm, could this be a better SAO?

Do we know if this online world will start out being a virtual reality device like SAO, or will it be more like a “standard” computer game that is played with conventional monitors and controls into whose world our protagonist is drawn?

Studio MADHOUSE hasn’t let me down yet :wink:

The description is rather vague on that, so I’d say we don’t know yet.
I guess one could look up the manga and find out, but I’m too lazy to do so.

I’m with you on that, I don’t feel like checking out the manga.

Odds are I’d read too much of it and spoil the show for myself. Maybe that could be a good thing (looking up the light novels made me lower my much-too-high expectations for SAO) but it could also be a tragedy, like when I read the Black Lagoon manga…

I’m hoping that it will be legally streaming from something besides the niconico site as I did not enjoy my streaming experience over there. Crunchyroll FTW.

I don’t read, nor do I care about manga/LN/VNs of any anime, so I’m pretty “safe” in that aspect.

Crunchyroll to Stream BTOOOM! Survival Action Anime

posted on 2012-10-02 14:48 EDT
MADHOUSE’s adaptation of Junya Inoue’s manga to premiere on October 4

Coming this November to Anime Network Online:

BTOOOM!

Ryota Sakamoto is transported from playing the hit BTOOOM! video game to being stranded on an island with a day’s provisions, a bag of bombs, a crystal embedded in his hand and a hole in his memory. It doesn’t take long to see what’s going on after the first person Ryota meets tries to kill him. SOMEONE is recreating the game, and the island is filled with unwilling players, each armed with one of many explosive weapons called BIM. Ryota’s an ace BTOOOM! player, but this version of the game has no reset switch, and there’s only one way to win: kill seven other people before they kill you! The action is ultra-violent, ultra-graphic and ultra-lethal as the ultimate blood sport is unleashed in BTOOOM!

Language: Japanese w/ English Subtitles
Schedule: Coming Soon
All 12 episodes will be available to watch on Anime Network Online for FREE!

So now that it is legally streaming, what’d y’all think about ep 1?

It’s not perfect IMO, but to be completely honest I think that Sword Art Online got its ass handed to it by Btoom! after just one episode.

Ep. 02

That was a rather disturbing episode.

Almsot entirely focused on rape.
That bugged the hell out of me.

As a side note…

Turns out Himiko is the girl Sakamoto married in-game.
Who would have thunk it.
A dickhead NEET and a buxom high school blonde.

I’m still feeling that this is better, VASTLY better, than SAO.

The main character has some semblance of a personality (sure he’s an asshat punk that’s like a wannabe Light Yagami but still) and his vaunted “in game” skills are explained in a real way. In SAO, the “hacking” incident with the loli was bogus, where Kirito used the console. That skill was never explained, ever.

In Btooom, at least, they backed up the protagonist’s throwing skill as in that flashback he threw that Xbox 360 controller knockoff into the wall like a champ. I don’t know why he was having difficulty finding a job, I’m sure there were several baseball teams that would be glad to have him. They said that kid had an arm, and they showed that he really did. Not great, but a helluva lot more than SAO gave us.

I’m going to venture out onto a limb (albeit a sturdy one) here and suggest that the otaku/weeaboo rag on Btooom and laud the horribly plotted SAO as the former shows them how they actually are while the latter shows them how they wish they were.

Maybe if the SAO wish-fulfillment actually fulfilled any wish of mine I’d see what y’all are on about with it, but it doesn’t and so I don’t :frowning:

I don’t know about anyone else on here, but I find the deaths in the show have more weight when they are extremely visceral, as they are in Btooom, rather than cheesy, overly long and goreless as they are in SAO. Seeing the first enemy blow up and his body parts rain down in detail made the stakes seem far higher than did the colored dust that the dying in SAO faded into.

Ep. 04

Overall this series is turning out pretty good, but the disturbing parts are just way disturbing.

So Kira is one fucked up 14 year old kid.
Killed and raped 3 girls.
But his father is even more fucked up.
I’m at least glad he stood up to his father and killed him though, as he really deserved it, though Sakamoto really should have killed the kid when he had the chance.

November is just about here, and we’re just getting started! Anime Network is jamming all the shows it can into one month with 3 new special releases premiering this week. Start the holiday season off the best way with Anime Network Online!

All episodes will be available to watch on Anime Network Online for FREE!
Upgrade to a Premium subscription for commercial-free viewing.

BTOOOM!
Sundays at 3 PM Eastern, starting November 4th[/quote]

Was the character called “Kira” in the original work? When did the original work come out?

I’m curious, considering…

I really want to pick this up with a Sentai dub. It’s hard for me to keep streaming after a Sentai license announcement goes out as I’d much rather wait for the dub, even though I gather that’s somewhat counterproductive with all the talk about streaming numbers (FWTW).

…TAN has commercials? I guess I hadn’t used any free streaming to notice that.

Non premium folk get Hulu streaming. (Not sure about iOS folk, don’t really care personally)

Episode 1 is live at ANO