Death Note Live Action Movie & Musical

Zac Efron: Death Note Remake ‘Not on the Front Burner’

posted on 2009-11-22 23:16 EST
Actor acknowledges having meeting, but says remake is not “coming up soon”

The internet’s going to implode.

Let me be the first to say… DO WANT.

I’m probably going to get flack for this but I do want to see it as well and hope Zac Effron gets cast as Light.

Now before anyone gets angry with me:

1. I hate his movies but he’s a good actor, he was funny in Robot Chicken though.

2. He’s a fan of DeathNote.

3. It would be funny as hell to watch the HSM fans cry their faces off because Effron is killing people.

I am in favor of Zac Effron as Light, and Alessandro Juliana as L.

I think it could work, as you know I really liked the Japanese Death Note movies, and if they follow those examples it can be very good.

I’ve only seen Alessandro Juliana in Battlestar Galactica and I’m not sure how well he would be as L.

This movie can go either way really. But knowing how Hollywood made the Dragonball Evolution movie let alone with the Resident Evil movies, it’s hard to say if this movie would be good. The only way this movie is going to be a success is if Hollywood does it’s homework and do it right rather than half assing it like they did in the past.

I liked the first two Resident Evil movies. The Third one was just silly as hell.

The problem is people go see these movie adaptions based on novels/games/tv series/anime/manga/etc. expecting them to be exactly like the original source material; forgetting movies, unlike the others, are constrained to 90 min. minimun to maybe 3 hrs. max. Thus the studios, and especialy the screenwriters, have to find a way to tell a comprehensible story within that time frame.

Enjoy the adaptions as stand alones that don’t have nothing to do with the original and you’ll be fine. Of course some will be just god awful no matter what, just like original movies.

That’s enough to make me cringe. I was lucky enough to avoid that DBE movie but all I can see here is Death in the box office. Love the anime and I’d rather keep myself happy.

Thats why when I left the theater of DragonBall Evolution I was like “It could have been worse.”

[quote=Tonka]
The problem is people go see these movie adaptions based on novels/games/tv series/anime/manga/etc. expecting them to be exactly like the original source material; forgetting movies, unlike the others, are constrained to 90 min. minimun to maybe 3 hrs. max. Thus the studios, and especialy the screenwriters, have to find a way to tell a comprehensible story within that time frame.

Enjoy the adaptions as stand alones that don’t have nothing to do with the original and you’ll be fine. Of course some will be just god awful no matter what, just like original movies.[/quote]

I see this being a 2 parter. There is no way they can do it with just one movie. Does anyone seeing an American band redoing “What’s Up People” or other opening/ending songs? Perhaps Breakin Benjamin for the former?
Slick

I dont think they would redoe “Whats Up, People?”

If they did make the movie, it would probably pick an American band to make a new song for the movie.

I wouldn’t doubt that at all.

[quote=Tonka]

Enjoy the adaptions as stand alones that don’t have nothing to do with the original and you’ll be fine. Of course some will be just god awful no matter what, just like original movies.[/quote]

If your going to make a movie from a series like Dragonball, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, etc that has a detailed story, then do your homework by either reading up on the story or get someone who knows the story. Well it’s obviously impossible to tell the ENTIRE DRAGONBALL series in 3 hours let alone DBZ. They could break it down like the Saiyan saga, Namek saga, etc.

I think the first Resident Evil movie was good. The second was bad because it kept the focus on Alice and the third one was just silly.

The first Street Fighter movie was just bad but in a good and the recent one could have been worse. Yes there was some scene that should have been cut, but I did like Vega and Balrog.

[quote=KunsinagiKenshin]
2 - He’s a fan of DeathNote.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m really surprised he’s an anime/manga fan. It’s always good to have an actor who a fan of the material BEFORE he’s involved in a project with it.

If this ever gets produced and Efron does get the part, I wonder what his fangirls will think of him portraying a character like Light…?

his fangirls will probably go because he’s in it. They more then likly never heard of DeathNote either which would make it all the more funny. God I hope this movie does get made. :slight_smile:

[quote=Mystic]
If this ever gets produced and Efron does get the part, I wonder what his fangirls will think of him portraying a character like Light…?[/quote]

I’m not a fan of his, but some girls like a bad boy image. :wink:

You know, I’m not actually that surprised that Zack Efron is a fan of anime. He always seemed like he would fit naturally into a J-drama. If he does get casted as Light, I’m glad that he’ll actually know who he is before a script is even drawn up for the movie.

Didn’t know Alessandro Juliani was the voice of L in the anime, I wonder how that would translate to film. Since someone brought him up earlier, it would be nice if someone also familiar with the story line were cast as L.

I hope they cut everything out post-L’s death. I hated that part of the series.

God if they did bring him in THAT would definitly get the DeathNote fans excited. Would be cool as well.I am not that good with alot of the voice actors names and what they look like. Didn’t even know that Inuyasha’s VA was in Stargate SG-1 the first time he was there.

Who was he in sg1? Apparently wikipedia doesn’t have an article on him. I can’t put names to faces either when it comes to voice acting, it’s usually an after thought for me, unless I think someone’s voice was exceptionally well placed for a character.