Final Fantasy (Games)

Final Fantasy (gaming thread)

This thread is for discussing the Final Fantasy series of games. Feel free to discuss anything you want related to Final Fantasy. However, please try to keep spoilers from the latest games to a minimum!

1 Like

I found this: Remembering the Orphan Final Fantasy VIII, looking back at Final Fantasy VIII. Itā€™s a very interesting read and I absolutely agree with every bit of it.
A word of caution though, it contains spoilers.

I know I am in the minority with this but, FFVIII was by far my favorite Final Fantasy game. I absolutely loved everything about the game. A lot of people complained about the junctioning system, but I actually thought it was done really well and allowed for some great micromanagement of character stats.

I think a lot of the problem is that this game got overshadowed by FFVII, and to a lesser degree, FFX. In reality, VIII improved on about everything that was presented in VII. The story, the characters and character development, interaction between characters, graphics, battle system, game undertones, etc. It was a magnificent game, but people tend to think VII is better because of the novelty factor of it. Iā€™ve seen people that have never played VIII before saying it sucks, which is just unfortunate, because it really was one of the best Final Fantasies to date as far as Iā€™m concerned.

8 was my fav too, first one I ever actually played. Bummed it from somebody none the less! Iā€™ll still play it again and again. Omegaweapon, argh! I loved the chocobo racing in 7 thoughā€¦

[quote=fillet]
8 was my fav too, first one I ever actually played. Bummed it from somebody none the less! Iā€™ll still play it again and again. Omegaweapon, argh! I loved the chocobo racing in 7 thoughā€¦[/quote]

I beat Omega Weapon. :3
Took like, Around an hour and a half though. It was also a lot of luck involved. xD Honestly, the only way to beat Omega Weapon was luck anyways. Skill could only get you so far considering he has at least two attacks that can instant-kill everyone in your party. So yeah, I got lucky; two auto-revivals by Phoenix Downs, several Lion Heart Specials with Squallā€™s limit break, several of Rinoaā€™s two best limit break moves (Invincible Moon and uhā€¦ The multiple hit one, forgot the name). All for basically nothing. =(
Orā€¦ some people could just cheat it and use Selphie for her ā€˜The Endā€™ limit break and defeat him instantly.

Also, FFVIII featured one of the most fun minigames ever with that card gameā€¦

On a completely separate note, I enjoyed FFX-2, and Iā€™m not afraid to admit it. It was nowhere near as good as most of the main entries in the series, granted, but it got bashed way too much. I attribute this to two reasons:

1. It was too ā€œdistinctly Japaneseā€ for a Western audience.
  2. People were expecting too much out of it. They were treating it as if it was supposed to be a true, epic Final Fantasy game, rather than a fun spin-off game.

[quote=Eightdevil2]

Seems bad beer bellied? i like this game i hope they dont ruin itā€¦ is shadow there?

Oh well itā€™s been quite some time my old friends and new ones. I used to come through and come with game reviews but I have been lazy on my game buyage but I have a coupleā€¦

Ff dissida:
now many of us have had this game for like 2 years but I thought I would post and English version review.

Heh what can I say about this game besides itā€™s every fan boys wet dream! I must say they did a good job with this game. The fighting is great. They added something called bravary which is Kinda like defense points. So they have the o is bravery damage and square being hp damage moves. It helps keep a sort of rpg element in the game as you run, dash and dodge your way to victory. Every main character and baddie from 1-10 is in the game with there own unique abilites that give them and edge in battle.

Pros; amazing addon to a fan boy collection. Fun game includes all 1-10 battle themes too! Crisp solid gameplay and fun to look at when it comes to specials.

Cons: this game is freggin hard sometimes! Ugh lol seprotih one hitting me at times and becomeing neo when it comes to dodges.

All around great game good pick up for any psp owner.

Battlefield 1943 (xbox360 arcade)

ā€¦yay another WWII shooter like we havenā€™t seen 100 of them. But battlefield is different something about it cam keep me logged in for hours shooting my m1 grand at a japanese sniper. The game cost about 1200 ms points so itā€™s a. Cheap buy and you can get a few good weeks with it. Not much to say a standard shooter with amazimg water graphics. So aIng that will leave the battle just to look at it.

Pros: cheap game fun shooter and games are quick and easy.

Cons: I donā€™t like the vechiles at all. It is one of the things that will make you not want to play. Also every game is like territories in halo/ domination in cod. It never changes always that gametype.

Get this if you have ms points to spare.

Sorry they wernt my best reviews but itā€™s late hehe. Umm next reviews halo odst, tekken 6 and my hori real arcade ex pro fight stick for street fighter 4.

My roommate and I just bought Final Fantasy VII and Megaman 9 respectively, and thatā€™s probably going to take up my time until FFXIII comes out, then all hell is going to break loose. I mean, I have WoW on top of all this, damnit. Plus I wanted to get either Bayonetta or Danteā€™s Inferno before that, probably not going to have time for it. This seems to be a season of gaming for me, when I havenā€™t had much to do as far as gaming for quite awhile now.

Just picked up FFXIII from Fryā€™s. 52.99 not bad. Cant wait to get home to fire it up!

Just got FFXIII today, but I paid full price for it. ><

I honestly canā€™t even believe how awesome this game is turning out to be, after FFXII being such a disappointment in my opinion. Like, Iā€™ve been playing it since I bought it today, and canā€™t get tired of it at all. Thereā€™s honestly just too many things for me to even list out about this game that I love now.

So anyone else here been playing FFXIII? I know Iā€™ve been on there so much that I havenā€™t been on here, plus Iā€™m losing sleep over it. Itā€™s just that amazing. I think Iā€™ve logged over 40 hours now, and I still havenā€™t approached the very end of the game. I donā€™t even hate a single character, there isnā€™t any characters that even unnerve me even a little. The battle system is amazing, it makes it so that every single fight is epic and always challenging, or at least never as easy as casting one giant spell that kills everyone off without you even think about what you had to do. Plus, I recently got the Sazh theme on my PS3 for getting the Loremaster achievement, which is probably one of the easiest to get really. Did I mention how much I love the token black guy in this game? Or Jailbait?

That being said, hereā€™s some comedy dubs for the first two scenes of the game, that I thought were amazing. This first one I thought particularily amazing, because right before this chick dies, I said ā€œgod I canā€™t wait for this chick to dieā€ and then my wish came true.

Haha, great vids shak.

Iā€™m kind of interested in FFXIII, but Iā€™m hesitant in getting it because JRPGs donā€™t really appeal to me. However, I heard from one vodcast I watch on YouTube that FFXIII was kind of like a beginning of a new era for JRPGs. They said that interest in video games in Japan is starting to decline pretty rapidly, so developers in the eastern market need to change their formula to better appeal to western gamers, since JRPGs arenā€™t as popular here as, say, Gears of War.

From what Iā€™ve heard, FFXIII is more ā€œcasualā€ than the other FFsā€“it has linear gameplay, you can use auto-attack so the game can figure out which attack best suits the situation, and you donā€™t start leveling up your weapons until a bit later in the game. I even heard you donā€™t gain any experience points for about the first hour or so! Definitely seems like their straying from the complexity of the older games; I believe one of the developers said they were making a point to make the game less ā€œstressfulā€ for players.

Anyway, Iā€™ll just link to the vodcast Iā€™m talking about so you can watch the review for yourself, if youā€™re interested. Theyā€™re called NoobToob, and I usually trust their judgement on games because they generally enjoy the same things I do. Plus theyā€™re usually hilarious, so I watch their videos each week, even if they arenā€™t reviewing games Iā€™m interested in getting.

Ya, they really tried to ease you into the gameplay this time around, which was nice because my head would probably have exploded if I tried to learn it all at once. Seriously, tutorials were popping up all the time during the first 4 or 5 hours of gameplay. After every battle your HP is automatically regenerated, which doesnā€™t make things easy as much as say give an excuse to make every battle a fight for your life almost. Plus they did away with the old job system, and now have something more role based. There are six jobs now, commando (combo based high attack power), ravager (high damage potential but more focused on staggering enemies), sentinel (meat shield), synergist (buffer), saboteur (debuffer), and medic (healer). You can have presets of what you want all your characters to be so that you can change strategies in the middle of battle with no real delay, so you really have to be on your toes during battle.

The auto-fight feature at first was nice, because you kinda of get hit hard with some of this stuff all at once, not to mention how fast the pace of battle can be at times. But now I never use it, I pick all my abilities on my own, because although the AI is actually really good in this game, still canā€™t pick the right type of attacks for me. Like on dire flans, yes they block all physical attacks so itā€™s better to damage with magic, so my auto-fight picks all magic for me, but I still like to put an attack first so that my character will automatically launch him in the air for higher combos and heā€™ll be disabled while up there.

Iā€™m about to head for work, Iā€™ll check the video out when I get back sometime. =P

A little while go I was thinking about all of the games over the years that I never got around to finishing, and then thinking about going back and finishing some of them. But I always have a problem with doing that, and itā€™s that if I stop playing a game without finishing it, and I want to go back to it, I have to restart from the very beginning, no matter how close I was to the end. For exampleā€¦

[details=spoiler]The first time I played Final Fantasy VII, I got to the second disc, and then I stopped playing for a little bitā€¦ fast forward 5 or 6 years and I got my hands on an original copy of the game discs, and I decided to play it again, I started over again from the beginningā€¦ I finished it too!

Hereā€™s another example:
The first time I played Final Fantasy VIII I couldnā€™t get past the first bossā€¦ so yeah I got a copy of FFVIII and I got past the first boss the second time I tried playing itā€¦ though I still havenā€™t finished it.

Example 3:
The first time I played Final Fantasy X I got all the way to the very last boss of the game, and then I couldnā€™t beat it. So I decided that I would take a little break from it, and I never got back to playing itā€¦ about 5 or 6 years later I wanted to play it again, and well, in this case I didnā€™t have the old save file anymore, but I still started from the beginningā€¦ Never finished it the second time through either :frowning:

To this day, the only Final Fantasy game Iā€™ve ever played all the way through is FFVII, though Iā€™ve played FFVI, VII, VIII, X, XII, and XIII. Anywayā€¦ getting to the point of this postā€¦[/details]
Examples aside, now Iā€™m not sure whether or not I want to go back and play Persona 4 again, Itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve played it, that I would definitely start from the beginning again, although I donā€™t know whether or not I really want to go back and play it.

I donā€™t get it, some games I can play through dozens of times without fail (example: MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4) but then others, I stop playing for a day, and I forget they existā€¦ and since I play games for the story, and not the achievements or the multiplayer, if I donā€™t finish a game, I have to start from the beginningā€¦ Well, until can decide whether I want to go back and play Persona 4 again, Iā€™m going to go play Demonā€™s Souls again :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure if posted yet on this thread :lol: so please forgive me if it has :S Anywhoā€¦ Who here is looking forword to Final Fantasy XIII-2 ? i know i am :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=chikane19]
Not sure if posted yet on this thread :lol: so please forgive me if it has :S Anywhoā€¦ Who here is looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII-2 ? i know i am :P[/quote]

As soon as I get around to beating XIIIā€¦ Iā€™ll be looking forward to XIII-2

Changing the subject away from raging childrenā€¦

I need to go back and finish a lot of gamesā€¦ games like Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VIII, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Persona 4.

As you can seeā€¦ most of those games are Final Fantasy gamesā€¦ Needless to say, I like Final Fantasy. The problem is, the only one Iā€™ve ever played all the way through was VII. Whenever I start playing one of them, I get sidetracked by something else and forget about itā€¦ I do the same thing with anime now that I think about itā€¦

September 22, 2011

September 28, 2011

October 14, 2011

December 7, 2011

###Watch 1up Final Fantasy VIII 2 Live Stream
December 2011

January 6, 2012

Iā€™m impressed with Amazonā€™s release date delivery, itā€™s 2legit yo. Got mine delivered on tuesday at 11AM! Well worth the $0.99 for release date delivery.

Canā€™t wait to start playing it! ā€¦too bad I need to finish XIII first. Not to mention my ginormous backlog of games.

I bought XIII when it came out, and the guide soon after. A little while later, I bought the soundtrack.

glossy white covers are not flash-friendly.

You donā€™t want to know how much that soundtrack costā€¦ but needless to say, when I saw that the XIII-2 came with the soundtrack, I sort of had to get it.

By the way, the XIII-2 Collectorā€™s edition packaging is really great.

I still need to finish XIII though, so Iā€™m not touching XIII-2 until then.

By the way Eightdevilā€¦ nice hat

[quote=Hornet65]
I bought XIII when it came out, and the guide soon after. A little while later, I bought the soundtrack.

glossy white covers are not flash-friendly.

You donā€™t want to know how much that soundtrack costā€¦ but needless to say, when I saw that the XIII-2 came with the soundtrack, I sort of had to get it.

By the way, the XIII-2 Collectorā€™s edition packaging is really great.

I still need to finish XIII though, so Iā€™m not touching XIII-2 until then.

By the way Eightdevilā€¦ nice hat[/quote]

I as well love the packaging for the XIII-2 CE. Part of the reason I got it.
Wasnā€™t the soundtrack for XIII like $70?
Also, I actually wish I had gotten this one for PS3. However, I got the original XIII for 360 (as I hadnā€™t had a PS3 at the time) and when I heard that there would be a bonus of some sort for having a XIII save file I begrudgingly decided to get the 360 one. Oh well, at least it keeps keeps some consistency in my game collectionā€¦

Hatā€¦ oh wow that case sure is reflective! Thank you, I am quite fond of a nice fedora. Thinking of getting a teardrop crown soon here as well.