Finally, I have Anime Network

Hello all, after trying to get the Anime Network on Comcast and even thinking about switching providers to get it, I finally found it online, which I didn’t even know was available. I found the Anime Network online after trying Crunchyroll, buty their dubs are very limited. So as not to make this into a sub vs dub post, I only watch dub, as I have low vision. I am recently also a member of Funimation, which is probably my favorite studio because they got me into anime with DBZ and one of my all-time favorites, Yu Yu Hakusho. I’m in the Schaumburg area, which is a NW Suburb of Chicago, IL. I like all types of anime, but the most important thing is the story telling and character development. Here are some of my favorites:

Ai Yori Aoshi/Enishi
Azumanga Daioh
B Gata H Kei (Yamada’s First Time)
Clannad/After Story (which I saw right her on AN & it’s already one of my all-time favorites)
Death Note
Dragon Ball
DBZ
Fruits Basket
Noir
Orphen
Rurouni Kenshin (haven’t finished watching entire series yet)
School Rumble
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho

As I said before, story telling is everything to me, and there are some like Kanon I liked a lot, but because the ending didn’t make sense, it ruined it for me. The same with Chobits, I hated the ending (chosing a persocom over a real person seems ridiculous to me). Then there are shows like Air TV and Devil is a Part-timer, both of which I liked a lot, but I thought the series was too short for character development to put on my favorites. Yes, I know I have B Gata H Kei, which is only 12 episodes, but that’s less about storyline and more about comedic situations and entertainment. I read a few of the suggestions for other newbies to AN, so I’ll probably check out Elfen Lied. Plus, I know that there is a lot out there I would probably like, but since I only watch dub, I’m sure I’m missing a lot. So, keeping that in mind, I hope you guys can make some suggestions for me.

I do have a couple questions about the site though.

1. What is the difference between AN Online and AN VOD? Do they have different shows available to them, or is it just that one is watched on the computer and the other is watched through your cable provider?
  2. What is the difference between the links “Watch Anime Now” and “The Shows”? They both seem to link to the same thing, just different asthestics (thumbnails and description vs a list). Am I missing something?
  3. Does anyone know how to be able to watch AN on my XBox 360 or PS3? I tried their browsers each, but I can’t figure out the PS3 browser and XBox 360 IE gets me to the site, but when you click on the link to watch, nothing happens. It seems like the IE needs an add-on or something, which I don’t know how to do, or even if it has that capability on XBox 360.

Looking forward to learning and conversing with you all.

n u n o .

2 Likes

Heerrro.

Welcome to TAN first off. That’s a great list of anime there.

I would look at them this way.
Watch Anime Now: where you can WATCH anime from a list of shows.
The Shows: basically an A-Z list where you can see what’s dubbed and subbed and info about said shows. You can even see what’s on VOD currently as well.

Welcome!

ANO is on the computer, and you can watch what’s available any time you want (Shows do expire BTW, but we get little to no warning about them), and VoD has a set of shows to watch on the provider (note: currently all shows on VoD are sub only, it seems Anime Network had some licensing issues that resulted in a series of months without new dubs on both ends, and VoD has yet to recover as this is the FIRST month for ANO to have new dubs since that started)

I found that if your devices support the needed tech behind the scenes, you might be able to set the browser to tell the site you’re on some iOS device by setting the user agent. As I don’t have access to PS or XBox, I can’t tell you any more than that. (Even if you can switch the user agent to an iPad or iPhone, the browser might not support the video format used by the site)

The reason for this is that outside of iOS, the site uses Flash, and that is not an option outside of the computer.

Hello and welcome to the talaric TAN boards!! :3

Quite a few shows I really found good on that list there, like Azumanga Daioh, DBZ, Fruits Basket and the like. :smile: If you enjoy Funimation and good dubs, perhaps you have tried Full Metal Alchemist? I have only seen Brotherhood, so it is the only one I can recommend, but I feel like you’d enjoy it. :slight_smile:
I also wish The Devil is a Part-timer would be longer, and have been wishing for a second season to make up for it, but sadly realize that it won’t be anytime soon, if at all. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, I hope you have an amazing time on here posting around and making many new friends!! :smiley:

Thanks to all for welcoming me.

So, I don’t know what the unwritten rules are here, is it cool to post reviews? I like to write, but don’t get enough practice to be good at it. I assume if I have a review for Kanon, which I just finished, I would put it in “Other Anime”?

Hopefully it will open discussion, let me know.

Search to see if there’s already a topic for whatever anime you want to write the review on. As a fellow member, that would the only thing you need to watch out for. There might be more, but I’m not aware of them (I never start topics for anime shows)

Thanks, I did that & just posed a review I wrote for a Yahoo! group I’m in, for Kanon. Though the last post was 2013, I think, so not sure if anyone will see it.