Gurren Lagann / Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Gurren Lagann/Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: Burning Manly Passion, mecha, post-apocalyptic, super robot
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: In their closed-off underground village, Kamina and Simon chafe at the limits imposed by the village elder. Yet all this will change, when Simon stumbles across a fantastic device—just as the village’s peace is broken by a violent intrusion.
Number of episodes: 27
Vintage: 2007-04-01 to 2007-09-30

ANN Info Page

Gurren Lagann the Movie –Childhood’s End- Vintage: 2008-07-01
Gurren Lagann the Movie – The Lights in the Sky Are Stars Vintage: 2009-04-25
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works (OAV) Vintage: 2008-06-16 to 2008-09-14
Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2 (OAV) Vintage: 2010-05-26

Can anybody tell me if this worth getting? Only it’s just being released over here and I could probably get a cheap copy of the 1st half of the series at the MCM Expo next weekend.

So dare I? :unsure:

If you somehow managed not to see this series, It is a difinite series to get.
Especially if you like fast paced Anime. Replay value on it may vary.

Before I get jumped on, I do think this is one of the better Anime out there.
It just hard to watch once you know all the surprises.

You must watch this!! This should be required viewing for anime fans
This is one of the best anime in several years
Good score, Excellant art, Top-notch character design, fabulous story AND a real ending

Money very well spent

1 Like

GET IT!!!

This is probably one of the best anime I’ve seen in recent memory, I still hold it in high regards even after the anime fan in me has rotted and died.

Moral of my story, buy it, you wont regret it.

Cool, I’d got that general impression, but it’s so damn hard to get a feel for series without being deluged by spoilers.

Thanks.

[quote=Kodama]
Cool, I’d got that general impression, but it’s so damn hard to get a feel for series without being deluged by spoilers.

Thanks.[/quote]

I won’t spoiler but wait till the final episode before you judge it.

Not that many people like the early bits, but I did, and even I know the show just keeps getting better and better.

Also, the first set comes with a light-up drill, how can you go wrong?

It really is a good show. I don’t want to get spoiler-ish on you but this is the first anime for me outside of Funi/ADV titles that I collected the singles (well parts in this case) to. It is also the first ever anime title I got the LE editions for. Normally I tend for the cheaper release but I liked this one so much I paied for the LE editions.

ahh the revival of the super robot genre. It’s an action yarn worthy of Tom Clancy.

I’ve seen the first movie, but not the second one yet. I hope bandai buys them up and dubs them soon.

I enjoyed this and I have no problem watching it again. I actually went and bought the subtitled version of the third DVD set and watched that because I didn’t want to wait for Sci-Fi to finish the last half-dozen or so episodes. Then sat and watched them dubbed on TV again anyways. And I’m watching it again now that they’re re-running it. There’s a good balance of action, adventure, drama and humor here.

I’m now the proud owner of the 1st 9 eps of TTGL, it better be good or you guys will be going on my list. :wink:

[quote=Kodama]
…it better be good or you guys will be going on my list. ;)[/quote]

In the end, it’s all a matter of opinion anyways.
Personally, I don’t want it anywhere near my collection.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Personally, I don’t want it anywhere near my collection.[/quote]

LOL

HE (Mr. K) will be in your dreams, haunting you forever. :S

Only after I’ve haunted yours. :stuck_out_tongue:

does sexy dance

He was making a reference to the anime (and one of the main reasons I dislike it so much) not you, Mr. K2.

yeah, Mr. K (aka Kamina) lol. What was the phrase Coffee used to describe him…? something about wanting to gouge his own eyes whenever Kamina was onscreen or something. :slight_smile:

Personally as I’ve said before (since I haven’t said it here) I found the series to be massively overrated, but, at the end of the day still a very good series, especially the second half. I can understand why some others may not dig the series though… and certainly there were moments where Kamina’s character bugged me big time, but I think that was mostly due to the VA (I really like the VA, but I just didn’t feel he fit for this role) for me.

[quote=dragoon]
yeah, Mr. K (aka Kamina) lol. What was the phrase Coffee used to describe him…? something about wanting to gouge his own eyes whenever Kamina was onscreen or something. :)[/quote]

I never referred to him as Mr. K, though I did say everytime I saw him it made me want to dig out my brain with a spoon, namely because it made me feel stupider everytime he opened his mouth with his ungodly ego.

Other than that, if you like way too over-the-top animation, ego, whining, and battles, then it’s worth a watch.

Personally, I feel Vandread did the whole “humans saving humankind” concept much better with better characterization and character developement, without the whole over-the-top feel that TTGL had that just made me feel like I was watching a “bragging” anime.

The Secrets of Gurren Lagann Answered!
(Beware of Spoilers!)

From those answers

Did Simon and Nia ‘do it’ during the 7 year timeskip?
During the seven year timeskip Simon and Nia did what had to be done.

All I needed to know.

[quote=dragoon]
Personally as I’ve said before (since I haven’t said it here) I found the series to be massively overrated, but, at the end of the day still a very good series, especially the second half. I can understand why some others may not dig the series though… and certainly there were moments where Kamina’s character bugged me big time, but I think that was mostly due to the VA (I really like the VA, but I just didn’t feel he fit for this role) for me.[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I found this very overrated. Like people who put this on their top ten list are crazy IMO. Really this is it? This is what you like? But whatever to each his own I guess. I liked the second half, but the first half was a chore to get through. This is a 7/10, only because the second half was so good. I am a huge Gainax fan I didn’t enjoy this as much as I should have. It was an alright series, nothing amazing though. I liked the second half better then the first, but the ending was terrible. Gainax you failed us again! Kamina was a little too stupid and anoying for me at times. I had no problem with the Voice Actor though, thought he did a great job at least. Not sure why this dub is hated as much as it is. My only problem with it was that it was rushed. I thought ADV could have done a much better job too, but I don’t take that into consideration at all. The character is where my problem is, not the VA. I don’t hate him as much as others on here seem to though. He was a meh character.