Infinite Ryvius / Mugen no Ryvius

Infinite Ryvius / Mugen no Ryvius

Genres: drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: mecha, space, space battles
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of Episodes: 26
Vintage: 1999-10-06 to 2000-03-29

Plot Summary: The year is AD 2225. Kouji Aiba and Aoi Housen are serving as astronauts in-training in Liebe Delta which is located on the edge of the Geduld Sea. When saboteurs with unknown intents suddenly strike during a routine dive procedure, the space station plummets into the Geduld, a plasma field that links all the planets like a nervous system and crushes any ship that strays too far into it. With all the adults onboard killed, the young astronauts will have to survive this long trek home in midst of the growing tension amongst each other. Meanwhile the organizers of the sabotage look on and prepare to attack once more.

ANN Info Page

RightStuf Link
Infinite Ryvius DVD Complete Collection (Hyb) - Anime Legends

Iā€™m in a ā€œmake anime threadsā€ mood. Sue me :P!

Donā€™t let the smiling faces in that first pic fool you. This is not a happy show!

Anyway Iā€™m still not done with this one yet, but I rank it really high. AMAZING show. Itā€™s very emotional, realistic and down to earth, despite the setting. ā€œLord of the Fliesā€ in space as it were. Itā€™s a smart show, showing us different types of governments. But itā€™s more then that too, because itā€™s an incredble character drama, where your NEVER sure what will happen net. Thereā€™s a ton of characters and each one is very interesting. Some get more spotlight then others, but you get to know a hell of a lot about this huge cast by at least the midpoint. Quite a feat. I give this my highest recommendation :wink: . My brain is not working right at the moment, so I cannot write this more intellegently. Sorry about that!

I have jokingly called this show ā€œU.S.S. Teen Angstā€ but it is a good sci-fi show if you cand stand a bunch of teens problems.

I can more then stand that! Iā€™m obsessed with that theme/idea/concept! Guess thatā€™s why I like it so much? Glad to see someone else likes it too!

I remember this show I got the original 6 disc set with Artbox and all the Mini-pencil Boards for $23.99 total from Best Buy years ago. I think the only thing I missed on from the original vol.1 plus Artbox was the ā€œRafraā€ Ferret Plush Doll.

Itā€™s a ok show. Good for its time if nothing else. Bandai use to for the most part pick decent Scifi shows if nothing else.

Well, I have the box set (got it on a close out of a local FYE), just looking for a good chance or some unfortunate soul to watch it with.

I figure it gets decent marks from many, has character designs that look like they are out of Gundam Seed, and has a cast a mile long, so it should be entertaining.

I saw like 1 episode a long time ago, and can recall it looking pretty good. Then again, I thought the same thing of Burst Angel, and bought it after watching one episode and was horribly disappointed. (I hope for no repeat of that)

Anyhow, I will give it a bit of a personal review when I polish it off.

The huge cast is GREAT. The show is very smart, it letā€™s you know whoā€™s important really easily and very quickly. And the large cast is a strenght of the show as it really makes this unlike anything else Iā€™ve seen. The first episode was great, but it keeps getting better and better. On my first watch I was kinda unsure what was happening but enjoyed it, re-watched the first half so far and it makes perfect sense and I love it even more. First watch some things are a little hard to followā€¦but you figure it out. Nothing that cofusingā€¦itā€™s just very complex.

well, it looks to be pretty realistic a-la Planetes so far. So that is a plus. heh, watching it dubbed. feels like a lot of voices I know.

Ok, so this show has a soundtrack, that occasionally throws in beats/breaks type music. Even before Champloo/Air Gear/E7. I am trying to think of one that used remix mentality before it. I suppose Bubblegum Crisis 2040. It had a soundtrack that was rocking with beats. Anyhow, IR seems to be a bit cutting edge for itā€™s time.

Dunno, I just like it.

As for the DVD, it had a nice little Super Deformed mini that was included on disk one. I will see if it is on Disk 2 when I am finished.

There is one that made me roll on the floor with laughter. Anyhow, class addition.

The story borrows from that whole Lord of the flies, with even the resident ā€œfatā€ kid who is both picked on and manipulated.
But what is really cool is the super secret hidden ship inside that they did not know about inside of the base. I dig mystery. =D

Oh yes this has more then a few surprises for you man! You can never predict what will happen. And I too LOVE LOVE LOVE the Omake Chibi extras. They are on every disk (I think havenā€™t finished the show yet, but they were on every disk I watched). Itā€™s like they took all the comedy that would be sprinkled throughoutt he entire show, and put it all there instead. Iā€™d much rather watch a show like this :wink: . At the end of every ansgty DVD, thereā€™s some comedy with the same characters waiting for yah to cheer yah, instead of poorly written comedy relief. Iā€™ll take this any day. ALL the comedy in one place, and all the dark drama in another. Iā€™m on episode 20, and I changed my raiting from a 9/10 to a 10/10. This is about as good as it gets in my opinion. This show blew me away, in all ways possible. Music, characters (they are all very realistic), art, story, storytelling, and themes/messages. The pacing is perfect, the tone is perfect, itā€™s very original, and the dub is amazing. Thereā€™s nothing else I can ask for at this point.

And yeah it definitely borrows heavily from ā€œLord of the Fliesā€. While the fat kid here, Charley (Good Turtleland III) reminds me of Piggy (because heā€™s fat, picked on and manipulated), his personality is very different at times too. Youā€™ll see what I mean later on.

At times I want to strangle this kid. I never felt that way toward Piggy. Iā€™ll leave it at that for now

As for the beats/breaks type music, yeah your right. This may very well be one of the first series to do that. Air Gear, Eureka Seven, and Champloo kinda followed in the wake of this. I donā€™t know about you, but Iā€™m digging this type of music, this soundtrack is amazing. The only show before this that I can think of that did something kinda like that would be **Lupin III Part 2 **, but thatā€™s kinda with a 70ā€™s style music, not really rap. Very different but it reminds me of this. Infinite Ryvius was riding the rap rave of late 90ā€™s/early 2000ā€™s so it makes sense all the music shows that.

You know for a while I was wondering if anyone could actually ā€œSeeā€ the Sphinx gal. It is getting good, now with all the dysfunction. Thier Mecha is awesome, the whole idea of it piloted by wire, is totally unique!
I can not think of another anime like it.

I have not made it to 20 yet. I am burrowing through it at about an ep a night, mixed in with new junk from japan, and a re-watch of Last Exile. But if it goes the way it continues to do it will rise up for me as well. At the moment I am sitting on about a 7 outta 10 rating.

This show is a micro governmental replay of dictatorships and democracy and how all can fail when not properly established.

I find it odd that blue [spoiler] almost made a better leader as a dictator, than the more prim and proper Zwei.

Now it is looking bad again,with the Guardians wondering around implementing their might.[/spoiler]
It seems every time a new governing group arises from itā€™s predecessor, the outcome spirals farther out of control.

Well one thing to correct.

spoiler

Blue actually doesnā€™t represent strict dictatorships, at least in my mind. Notice how he does allow some others to have decision making powers? And notice how much power his group of lackeys have too? I think he and his group represent some type of tyrannical oligarchy. Although he is the leader of said oligarchy. They are efficient most of the time, totally dismiss outside ideas (and relies on groupthink), and ruthless. Yet things get done, and they usually move forward. I like how they pretend to be on the side of the people when they made their coup, thatā€™s how many coups happen, and this is often what comes from them. And yeah sadly democracy is slow, inefficient, and sometimes itā€™s not the best type of government. I love how this anime isnā€™t afraid to go there. Many shows will just go ā€œyah democracy! woot! itā€™s the best! perfect in every way!ā€ when clearly thatā€™s not true. Each type of ruling has pros and cons, and democracy is not perfect by any stretch.

I recently finished this show. I thought it was amazing. One of my new favorites. Sorry I didnā€™t wait for you manā€¦

No worries, if you had to wait for me you would be an old man. =D ( I am watching way to much at once) I will give my final synop in a day or so.

@Slowhand this show is one of Sentaiā€™s Bandai rescues.

1 Like

Darn, I thought I had them all.

@Series5Ranger - I think you can move these threads also. So, if you see any more, feel free to move them.

All right

1 Like

###ā€œInfinite Ryviusā€ Blu-ray Box Set for Release on October 27
June 03, 2017 2:30am CDT
Three most popular episodes come with newly-recorded audio commentaries

Infinite Ryvius Blu-ray BOX Special Edition Limited Edition PV

S5R mod edit: to everyone: you do know this means that Sentai wonā€™t be able to release a domestic Blu-ray for this until at least the middle of next Year. We know return you to your regular programming

Is Sentai still planning on releasing this show?