INTERSTELLA 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

###INTERSTELLA 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

[quote]Genres: adventure, drama, science fiction
Themes: music, musical
Objectionable content: Mild
Plot Summary: Four musicians from another galaxy are kidnapped by an evil manager to ultimately become the biggest band on earth.
Running time: 67 minutes
Vintage: 2001-08-31[/quote]
ANN Info Page

this is an anime that came out around 2003. Made by Daft Punk and Toei animation, it’s basically an hour long AMV (the Daft Punk album “discovery”) set to an original light science fiction story illustrated by Leiji Matsumoto. It has the adventure feel that most of Leiji’s other work has. I felt at times I could’ve turned down the volume on any number of galaxy express episodes and turned on my stereo for the same experience. I do not mean that statement in a derisive fashion, only to illustrate how analogous stylistically this piece is to Leiji’s other more well known works.

Personally, I give this anime 5 out of 5 stars for its content and boldness in making and releasing a piece that unlike almost any other anime out there, more resembling Fantasia than anything else I can think of. It’s also and incredibly unlikely pairing of two of my favorite artists. This anime seriously works for me.

as a side not, if you liked this format of visuals and music you might like “Legend of the Forrest”. It’s a story about woodland creatures fleeing man’s encroachment into their forest set to Tchaikovsky.

wow. found this on youtube. Just be glad that daft punk loves you.

This is a really good movie, I suggest everyone try it, it is a fascinating watch at least.

One of my favorite anime movies. It helps that I love Daft Punk, but still it’s a great watch for all anime fans and music fans. It took awhile to warm up to the Leiji Matsumoto-style character desings and backgrounds (and I’m still not fond of them), but some characters do grow on you. I keep putting off buying this great movie. One of these days…