K / Return of Kings / Missing Kings

Viz’s Neon Alley to Stream K TV Anime Series

posted on 2013-05-29 15:45 EDT

Viz Media Announces K TV Anime’s Dub Cast

posted on 2013-06-14 19:20 EDT
Sam Regal, Matthew Mercer, Patrick Seitz, Keith Silverstein, Stephanie Sheh slated to star

Neon Alley K Cast Dub

More Cast Announcements:

[quote]Chiho Hyuga
Erin Fitzgerald

Misaki Yata
Ben Diskin

Izumo Kusanagi
Todd Haberkorn

Akira Hidaka/Ichigen Miwa
Grant George

Anna Kushina
Colleen O’Shaughnessey

Seri Awashima
Tara Platt

Saruhiko Fushimi
Johnny Yong Bosch

Ren Goto/Ryuho Kamo
Chris Smith

Kukuri Yukizome
Carrie Savage

Daikaku Kokujoji
Kirk Thornton[/quote]

‘K’ Anime’s English Dub Previewed in Video Before July 12 Debut

posted on 2013-06-28 19:00 EDT
Viz’s Neon Alley to premiere dub after K panel at Anime Expo on July 5

A dub with Carrie Savage. That’s pretty awesome in and of itself, even if it is for a show like this.

There are a slew of cool actors in that, but I have nothing to go on to give me hope that the direction at Studiopolis will be able to focus their acting talent into an exceptional dub; I doubt that the whole will be greater than the sum of its awesome parts.

Someday Sentai will manage to feature her in one of its LA-contracted dubs. Someday.

EDIT: Anyone know who did the voice-over for the end of the trailer? I ask because of the really odd pronunciation he used for “Exclusive”.

Viz Posts 2 English Dub Trailers for ‘K’ Anime

posted on 2013-07-10 15:45 EDT
Dubbed version to premiere on Neon Alley on Friday

Now if only they’d release this on BD.

Even if Neon Alley were to switch from “fake TV channel” to the more logical “video on demand” setup, a setup that would allow me to use it, I still don’t think that I would as they don’t have 7 bucks/month worth of content.

These trailers sound alright, dub-wise, but they still sound to me like a bunch of disjointed script reads cobbled together. While that is what a dub is, that is not what a truly great dub should sound like. Something about the tone affected by the actors, the emotion that they’re endeavoring to convey, doesn’t quite work, it doesn’t really jibe with the on-screen action.

Would someone please remind Viz that The Ocean Group exists for dubs and that they’re a cut above Studiopolis? When I finally do get the chance to get this show on BD I would like it to have a good dub, preferably a great dub, but really anything better than the merely “serviceable” dub seen (heard) here. :wink:

This isn’t really a dig at you Cel just at the neon alley thing b/c you’re not the only person to have issue with them. Isn’t it nice to have moderation in types of anime streaming though? I mean I have Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Crackle, and Neon Alley. There’s plenty of on demand out there so I kind of like the fake tv channel idea plus they do plenty of re-runs for those whom may have missed a show. I have to agree on the VA dub though, we’ll have to wait and see if they did a good job on the whole. Crossing fingers. lol

Just finished watching this one on Hulu. I thought it was a great show, but the ending kind of sucked.

If only this were available from legal sources as I want to check it out. I saw the first ep dubbed and it intrigued me enough to want to see ep 2 dubbed (something my last experiment, Guilty Crown, did not).

I’m going to say “No” to that: I’d prefer anime streaming to consolidate instead of fragmenting further. Neon Alley also lacks content that is worth the price they’re charging: they want AnimeNetwork/Crunchyroll monthly dues but they don’t even have a 10th of the content. Even if they had on-demand I’m not going to pay them Crunchyroll fees just so I can see the 3 shows they have that interest me. 3 shows.

All of my show watching is on-demand, whether it be by online service, DVR or the clunky On-Demand function of my TV provider. I have no desire to go back to a time where I have to watch a show live, cannot pause it, have to watch commercials and have to bend my schedule to it, especially when I have to pay for that inconvenience.

Neon Alley fails.

K is up for preorder at Right Stuf and lists a release date of 25 Feb 2014.

K DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series Limited Edition

I’m torn. I don’t know much about this show, haven’t seen anything but the Neon Alley trailers, but English extras make me want to get it.

…I’m not sure of the sex of the person on the cover art.

It’s a boy, Yashiro “Shiro” Isana, and the main character.

[quote=“celestial_being”]I’m torn. I don’t know much about this show, haven’t seen anything but the Neon Alley trailers, but English extras make me want to get it.

…I’m not sure of the sex of the person on the cover art.[/quote]
Get it for Neko, Neko is awesome…

Voiced by Stephanie Sheh. This show does look to have the best dub cast of these Viz shows. Carrie Savage & Vic roles are too few nowadays. Main cast looks pretty solid, though not as solid as the support cast. Could be the first ever Studiopolis dub to beat out a certain recent Bang/Zoom dub. This intrigues me.

Interestingly this show’s extremely short title has made finding info for it on “the interwebs” a little more difficult than usual for me.

BTW, is this release a combo-pak?! Finally another anime company saw the light, the brilliance of making one release to “rule them all”! I’m just sad it wasn’t another TX-based company…

[quote=“celestial_being”]Voiced by Stephanie Sheh. This show does look to have the best dub cast of these Viz shows. Carrie Savage & Vic roles are too few nowadays. Main cast looks pretty solid, though not as solid as the support cast. Could be the first ever Studiopolis dub to beat out a certain recent Bang/Zoom dub. This intrigues me.

Interestingly this show’s extremely short title has made finding info for it on “the interwebs” a little more difficult than usual for me.

BTW, is this release a combo-pak?! Finally another anime company saw the light, the brilliance of making one release to “rule them all”! I’m just sad it wasn’t another TX-based company…[/quote]
Ah yes but you technically lose money by producing a combo pack. You will never have accurate sales figures on which part of the combo pack was being bought, and it creates a more accurate demographic of who your buyers are and what type of hardware / consoles that they use/have. It also allows quicker transition to “Blu-Ray” only sales once you have enough market penetration.

You can always watch the show over at Viz’s site. Yes it’s sub only, but you can at least check out the first two eps. and see if the story/characters are to your liking.

It’s also available on Hulu’s Free section as well.

I’ve heard David Williams call DVD a “dying format” but I’ve also heard him say that DVD sales outpace the bluray, except for a period of time for High School of the Dead. I have doubt that DVD will ever truly die, but I believe that Sentai does not as they’re still pushing bluray despite claiming that their DVD sales crush BD sales. Combopaks are “future proof”, and they do allow for the most devices to view the content. I don’t really like having to choose between the compatibility of the DVD and the higher image quality of the BD.

I notice that Viz is selling the K combo-pak for under $30, without all the trappings of the LE. Sadly, it does not appear on RightStuf that the non-LE comes with all the English extras.

Viz is starting to strike me as the “anti-Aniplex”.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
Viz is starting to strike me as the “anti-Aniplex”.[/quote]
And that my friend, is a very good thing.