Kingdom

Kingdom

Genres: action, drama
Themes: coming of age, duels, historical, Military, politics, power struggle, strategy, tactics, War
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: In the Warring States Period of ancient China (475-221 BCE), Shin and Hyou are war-orphans in the kingdom of Qin. They dream of one day proving themselves on the battlefield. One day, however, Hyou is taken to the palace by a minister. Winding up on the losing side of a power-struggle, Hyou manages to return to the village, barely alive. Shin then meets a boy who closely resembles Hyou, Ei Sei. For now he is the king of Qin; later he will become the emperor Shi Huangdi.
Number of episodes: 38
Vintage: 2012-06-04

ANN Info Page

Kingdom 2

Themes: coming of age, duels, historical, military, power struggle, strategy, tactics, war
Plot Summary: It has been a year since Wang Qi (Ou Ki) has passed away. Xin (Shin) continues to fight as a 300-man Commander on the battlefield, while Ying Zheng (Ei Sei) faces an overwhelming enemy back at home. In the midst of the turmoil, the Qin army begins a powerful offensive against Wei, and meets with a very powerful enemy.
Number of episodes: 39
Vintage: 2013-06-08

ANN Info Page

Kingdom 3

Themes: coming of age, duels, historical, military, power struggle, strategy, tactics, war
Plot Summary: The nation of Qin fights for it’s life when they are attacked by a large alliance of nations led by Li Mu. Contesting factions in Qin are forced to unite or perish. The Fei Shin Force gains an excellent strategist in Diao, who can no longer hide the fact she is a woman from Shin and the rest. However, they are absent their 2nd in command who has finally tracked down the target of her vengeance. Shin and his soldiers are in for the hardest battles of their lives and things look bleak, but on the battlefield also comes chances for glory.
Number of Episodes: 26
Vintage: 2020-04-05

ANN Info Page

Kingdom 4

Themes: coming-of-age, duels, historical, military, power struggle, strategy, tactics, war
Plot Summary: In the aftermath of the Coalition Army Arc and the largest battle in history, a great gash tore across Qin as well as all of China. Ei Sei tells Prince Sei Kyou (Cheng Jiao) of his lifelong ambition: to become the ruler who unites China. Shin and Ei Sei take another step closer to that ambition upon a new battlefield.
Number of Episodes: 26
Vintage: 2022-04-09

ANN Info Page

Kingdom 5

Genres: action, drama, thriller
Themes: China, coming-of-age, conspiracy, duels, historical, medieval, military, power struggle, strategy, tactics, tragedy, war
Number of Episodes: 13
Vintage: 2024-01-06

ANN Info Page

Historical Manga Kingdom Gets TV Anime in 2012

posted on 2011-11-14 06:30 EST
Yasuhisa Hara’s story set in ancient China to run on NHK

Kingdom TV Anime’s Staff Listed

posted on 2011-11-17 06:48 EST

Kingdom TV Anime’s Trailer Streamed

posted on 2012-05-26 13:30 EDT
Historical anime series premieres with 50-minute special episode on June 4

Funimation to Simulcast Kingdom TV Anime

posted on 2012-06-08 16:28 EDT
Historical series based on Yasuhisa Hara’s manga to premiere on Funimation on June 11

Kingdom’s 2nd Anime Series to Premiere This June

posted on 2013-01-23 04:28 EST
1st anime based on Yasuhisa Hara’s historical manga ending in February after 38 episodes

Kingdom’s 2nd Anime Series Slated for June 8

posted on 2013-04-25 00:43 EDT

Kingdom Anime Season 1 Gets DVD Release With English Dub

posted on 2015-10-16 17:00 EDT
All 38 episodes of first anime series slated for January

What’s up with that?

I wonder that myself. Sounds like they maybe are repackaging someone else’s work?

Mark Gosdin

Thanks, Funi, for still releasing stuff I don’t want on Home video.

I think I missed what was “between the lines” there lol. ??

Seems like a sound theory to me. If that were the case then I would be interested in knowing why Funi didn’t dub it themselves.

Maybe it’s an animax dub or maybe a homegrown Japanese engrish dub? Maybe the first of many…

1 Like

Oh, I hope not. Having Funi sign its name to an outsourced dub would be really weird.

I’m all for NA companies slapping the Animax dubs on applicable releases when they’re not going to bother with making their own dub (list it as a special feature, like the Patlabor TV OVA release did) but Funi doing that would be weird too.

Screwy dub circumstances, DVD only…what has Funimation gotten tied up in?

If @Series5Ranger 's response is typical it may very well be that Kingdom is not worth investing more money in for Funimation, they licensed it so I’m sure they would like to make their initial cost back. But dubbing 38 episodes would be another big investment and it might make better sense to use an existing dub from, say Animax, especially if you are restricted to an initial DVD release in the licensing terms.

Screwy is a good description.

Mark Gosdin

Just their releases in general, overall in 2015 have been, at least for me, meh at best. I’ve bought, with preorders, 6 titles this year. (Freezing Vibration, FMA: Brotherhood 1,2, & OVA, Sacred Star of Milos, and Buddy Complex)

1 Like

Kingdom The Complete First Season - DVD - Coming Soon

Funimation Lists Kingdom Season 2 Home Video Release

posted on 2015-12-16 15:10 EST
Sequel series slated for March

Kingdom The Complete First Season - Available Now

Kingdom - Season Two - Coming Soon

Kingdom Season Two - Available Now

Shelf Life: Kingdom Season 1

by Paul Jensen, James Beckett, Mar 28th 2016

Crunchyroll Adds Season One of “Kingdom” to Anime Catalog!

August 19, 2017 9:30pm CDT
Series available now!

Crunchyroll Adds Season 2 of “Kingdom” to Anime Catalog

September 05, 2017 6:14pm CDT
Available for viewing now!

Kingdom Gets 3rd TV Anime Series With Brand New Staff in April

posted on 2019-11-07 22:25 EST by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Masakazu Morita, Jun Fukuyama, Rie Kugimiya return to reprise roles