Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic / Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: fanservice, magical boy, magicians, monsters, slavery, swordplay
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 25
Vintage: 2012-10-07

Plot Summary: In a fantastic middle-age world where slavery is very common, there are mysterious tall towers named “Dungeon” which mysteriously appeared out of nowhere fourteen years before the story line. Someone who conquers a Dungeon becomes very powerful and wealthy. Our hero Ali Baba is a teenager who works for merchants to support himself. He dreams for conquering a lot of Dungeons and becoming a very rich person. One day, he comes across with a strange young boy named Aladdin who carries a mystical flute with supernatural powers in it. Ali Baba and Aladdin agree to travel their first Dungeon together.[/i] [/quote]

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic info on ANN

Magi - The Kingdom of Magic

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: magicians, monsters, swordplay
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 25
Vintage: 2013-10-06

Plot Summary: Aladdin, Alibaba, and Morgiana’s adventures continue in the magical Kingdom of Magnostadt, a country ruled by magicians, and the Reim Empire, which is protected by the Magi Scheherazade.

Magi - The Kingdom of Magic info on ANN

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad / Magi: Sinbad no Bōken (OAV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy
Vintage: 2014-05-16

Plot Summary: The story takes place 30 years before the events of Magi. In this age will focus on the journey that Sinbad have to make to become king and many adventure more. (from ANN)

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad (OAV) info on ANN

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad / Magi: Sinbad no Bōken

Genres: adventure, fantasy
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2016-04-15
Opening Theme: “Spotlight” by PENGUIN RESEARCH
Ending Theme: “Polaris” by Fujifabric

Plot Summary: Thirty years before the events of Magi, a brave and handsome young man named Sinbad set sail and started his adventure. The future High King of Seven Seas gradually matured through various encounters and farewells, taking him towards kingship step by step. (from ANN)_

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad info on ANN

[size=16]Shinobu Ohtaka’s Magi Fantasy Adventure Manga Gets TV Anime[/size]
posted on 2012-06-18 11:56 EDT
Anime from Sumomomo Momomo creator revealed on World Hobby Fair pamphlet

[size=16]Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Anime’s 1st Preview Streamed[/size]
posted on 2012-06-24 06:33 EDT
A-1 Pictures animates October anime running on Sundays at 5 p.m.

[size=16]Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Anime’s 2nd Preview Aired[/size]
posted on 2012-08-05 12:27 EDT
R.O.D’s Masunari directs October anime at A-1 Pictures with writer Yoshino

[size=16]Magi Anime’s Judal Character Visual Art Posted[/size]
posted on 2012-08-09 15:35 EDT

After seeing the PVs and the art for this, it is definitely one my highly anticipated ones to watch in October!

[size=19]http://www.project-magi.com/special/index.html[/size]

Looks like they added new vids to the site.
PV3 and a TV Spot.
I’ll dig around for a YT vid, but I think they’re still too new yet.

-edit-

I guess this is post 6000.

I am looking forward to this. It is the titles name that I like. For the past history I always wanted to write this story called the Magi. I had a pretty good plot but I never wrote it down. So, on facebook, there was a title. It was called how would you make an anime. I had a story that worked pretty well and the title was the Magi. So, once I heard this I got excited especially to see if they somehow got my story and did something with it. Well, I found out different after reading the description. I am still excited to see how this anime works out. I really hope Sentai picks it up right away. Mainly, It is because I like how fast they do things. For example Persona was airing less than a year ago I believe. It is already coming on bluray and dvd next month. Viz takes about 2 years to get something done. Funimation takes about a year and a half. So, you get what I mean now.

Persona is a rather unique case, and it’s kind of suffering for it too, being a dub-only release.
Though I do agree, their current turn around time is very good considering the Japanese are not known for their release leniency time wise, between JP and US release.

Yeah I have to agree with the Persona. I pre-ordered the bluray edition even without a Japanese language. I guess if it took them longer it could of gone with better results. That isn’t the only case. Koihime Muso was developed in 12 episodes parts within a short distance in three different intervals. So far I am impressed with Sentai :).

Yeah, as I said, their current turn around time is very good.

There’s just way to many things coming in October that I want Sentai to pick up.
Though, there’s only four main ones that I want to see bad enough to get a TAN/CR simulcast for Fall:

Magi
Girls und Panzer
Chū-2
Btooom!

[quote=“The Coffee God”]

[/quote]
How old is this character supposed to be? Am I the only anime fan who misses the days of voluptuous/sultry female characters and writhes in the modern era where most all female characters seem to be much closer to lolis than adults in appearance?

Sometimes I feel like it.

[quote=“celestial_being”]
How old is this character supposed to be? Am I the only anime fan who misses the days of voluptuous/sultry female characters and writhes in the modern era where most all female characters seem to be much closer to lolis than adults in appearance?

Sometimes I feel like it.[/quote]

I’m rather amused that you automatically assumed he was female.

[quote=“The Coffee God”]

[quote=“celestial_being”]

Sometimes I feel like it.[/quote]

I’m rather amused that you automatically assumed he was female.[/quote]
If it, since it is sexless, is indeed male then that brings me to my “corollary complaint” about male characters looking wimpy, and about androgynous characters in general. So if it is an androgynous little boy who sees fit to go all Fairy Tale with the then-pointless bust tape (not that it would have really had a point anyhow), that’s actually worse IMO. We’ve gone from quasi-loli-land to Shouta-town in a single post. :frowning:

Seriously, more Golgo 13, less effeminate/androgynous little boys for the males. More appropriate bust, more curves, less faux-loli for the female characters. They go hand in hand, these complaints.

There was a time when anime featured men who looked like men and women who didn’t look like lolis with bust tacked on (if we’re lucky). I miss that time. I’m confident that it existed.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-08-30/magi-the-labyrinth-of-magic-comiket-82-trailer-posted

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic’s Comiket 82 Trailer Posted

posted on 2012-08-30 06:35 EDT

Anime of Shinobu Ohtaka’s manga re-imagining of 1001 Nights to debut in October

Shogakukan’s Club Sunday website began streaming a new trailer for the Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic television anime series. The trailer first ran during the Comic Market (Comiket) 82 event earlier this month.

The original manga re-imagines tales from the classic story One Thousand and One Nights (also known as Arabian Nights). Shinobu Ohtaka, the creator of Sumomomo Momomo, has been serializing the manga since 2009, and Shogakukan published the 13th compiled book volume last month.

This 90th anniversary project from Shogakukan will premiere in October and run every Sunday at 5:00 p.m. on MBS, TBS, and their network of affiliates.

Hmm, given that this show is adapting a famous work of a culture that sanctions pedophilia, perhaps this underaged art style is actually appropriate? :stuck_out_tongue:

Though that makes the shouta-bait androgynous little boy highly ironic. I hear that’ll get you executed in Arabia today.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-08-31/magi-the-labyrinth-of-magic-cast-silhouettes-revealed

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Cast’s … Silhouettes Revealed

posted on 2012-08-31 12:15 EDT

Guess the “strongest cast lineup” before September 30 unveiling

On Wednesday, this year’s 40th issue of Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine is revealing the cast of the Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic anime — or rather, their silhouettes.

A Magi event called “Maharajan Eve” will be held in Tokyo’s Shibuya Hikarie on September 30, and the event will lift the veil off the “strongest cast lineup.” Until then, fans can try to guess the cast from the silhouettes the magazine published. (There are unofficial Japanese websites that rank the reported heights of male and female voice cast members.)

More details about how fans can attend the event will be posted at the anime’s official website.

The original manga re-imagines tales from the classic story One Thousand and One Nights (also known as Arabian Nights). Shinobu Ohtaka, the creator of Sumomomo Momomo, has been serializing the manga since 2009, and Shogakukan will publish the 14th compiled book volume in September.

Director Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) is helming the anime adaptation at A-1 Pictures. Toshifumi Akai (Kokoro Connect, Sound of the Sky) is designing the characters and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Guilty Crown, My-HiME) is handling the scripts.

This 90th anniversary project from Shogakukan will premiere in October and run every Sunday at 5:00 p.m. on MBS, TBS, and their network of affiliates.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-02/magi-the-labyrinth-of-magic-1st-tv-anime-ad-posted

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic’s 1st TV Anime Ad Posted

posted on 2012-09-02 07:25 EDT

3 main characters highlighted from October anime inspired by Arabian Nights

The official website for the Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic fantasy television anime series began streaming the first television commercial with animated footage on Sunday. The video highlights the three main characters: the dungeon-treasure-seeking Ali Baba, the former slave girl Morgiana, and the protagonist Aladdin.

[video no longer exists]

The original manga re-imagines tales from the classic story One Thousand and One Nights (also known as Arabian Nights). Shinobu Ohtaka, the creator of Sumomomo Momomo, has been serializing the manga since 2009, and Shogakukan will publish the 14th compiled book volume in September.

Director Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) is helming the anime adaptation at A-1 Pictures. Toshifumi Akai (Kokoro Connect, Sound of the Sky) is designing the characters and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Guilty Crown, My-HiME) is handling the scripts.

This 90th anniversary project from Shogakukan will premiere on October 7 and run every Sunday at 5:00 p.m. on MBS, TBS, and their network of affiliates.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-09-07/visual-kei-rock-band-sid-performs-magi-opening-theme

Visual-Kei Rock Band Sid Performs Magi’s Opening Theme

posted on 2012-09-07 04:10 EDT

“V.I.P” on sale in November after October premiere of anime inspired by Arabian Nights

Mao, the vocalist of the visual-kei rock band SID (Black Butler, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), revealed on Friday that the band’s next single “V.I.P” will be the opening theme of the upcoming Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. television anime. The band’s official website then confirmed the news, and added that the CD single will go on sale in November.

[video no longer exists]

Director Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) is helming the anime adaptation at A-1 Pictures. Toshifumi Akai (Kokoro Connect, Sound of the Sky) is designing the characters and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Guilty Crown, My-HiME) is handling the scripts. Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion, Bleach) is scoring the soundtrack.

This 90th anniversary project from Shogakukan will premiere on October 7 and run every Sunday at 5:00 p.m. on MBS, TBS, and their network of affiliates.

Update: The October issues of Newtype, Animage, and Animedia magazine are all publishing features on the anime on Monday.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-09-10/akb48-rival-idol-group-nogizaka46-sings-magi-ending

AKB48’s ‘Rival’ Idol Group Nogizaka46 Sings Magi Ending

posted on 2012-09-10 13:00 EDT

Another adaptation of Arabian Nights-inspired manga, in addition to TV anime, to be revealed

This year’s 41st issue of Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine is announcing on Wednesday that Nogizaka46, AKB48’s “official rival” idol group, will perform the ending theme song for the Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. anime. The visual-kei rock band SID (Black Butler, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) had previously revealed that it will contribute the opening theme song “V.I.P.”

AKB48’s own producer Yasushi Akimoto created Nogizaka46 with Sony Music Entertainment last year. The group is named after Sony Music Entertainment’s Nogizaka Building, the site of the group’s final audition. The “46” in the name represents the group’s rivalry with AKB48, along with the motto: “Even with fewer members than AKB48, we won’t lose.”

The Weekly Shonen Sunday issue is also presenting a new piece of key visual art for the anime, as well as a teaser that the next issue will announce another adaptation of Shinobu Ohtaka’s original manga. The issue will also feature character designs of the main and supporting cast alongside staff comments regarding each character.

The manga re-imagines tales from the classic story One Thousand and One Nights (also known as Arabian Nights). Shinobu Ohtaka, the creator of Sumomomo Momomo, has been serializing the manga since 2009, and Shogakukan is publishing the 14th compiled book volume this month.

Director Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) is helming the anime adaptation at A-1 Pictures. Toshifumi Akai (Kokoro Connect, Sound of the Sky) is designing the characters and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Guilty Crown, My-HiME) is handling the scripts. Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion, Bleach) is scoring the soundtrack.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-12/magi-the-labyrinth-of-magic-4th-promo-streamed

Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic’s 4th Promo Streamed

posted on 2012-09-12 00:45 EDT

R.O.D helmer, Evangelion composer in October anime inspired by Arabian Nights

The official website for the Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. fantasy television anime series began streaming the fourth promotional video on Sunday. Unlike the third video, the new video highlights the prominent creators on the project:

The original manga re-imagines tales from the classic story One Thousand and One Nights (also known as Arabian Nights). Shinobu Ohtaka, the creator of Sumomomo Momomo, has been serializing the manga since 2009, and Shogakukan is publishing the 14th compiled book volume this month. The manga has 4.4 million copies in circulation.

Director Koji Masunari (Read or Die, Welcome to THE SPACE SHOW) is helming the anime adaptation at A-1 Pictures. Toshifumi Akai (Kokoro Connect, Sound of the Sky) is serving as the character designer and chief animation director, and Hiroyuki Yoshino (Accel World, Guilty Crown, My-HiME) is handling the scripts. Shiro Sagisu (Bleach, Evangelion, Berserk films) is composing the music.

Update: The anime’s website has a teaser page for a new adaptation of the manga that will be officially announced next week. However, the page allows people to end a “magic word” to guess the adaptation, and guessing “ゲーム” (game) returns a new teaser page.

Update 2: The teaser page also returns similar special pages when the magic words are “RPG” and “3DS.” The website also posted the sixth piece of key visual art:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-09-30/kaori-ishihara-yuuki-kaji-haruka-tomatsu-lead-magi-cast

Kaori Ishihara, Yuuki Kaji, Haruka Tomatsu Lead Magi Cast

posted on 2012-09-30 04:23 EDT

Ryohei Kimura, Daisuke Ono, Toshiyuki Morikawa, Takahiro Sakurai, Yoshimasa Hosoya, Showtaro Morikubo, more

The official website and Twitter account for the Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic television anime series announced the main voice cast and part of the supporting cast:

• Kaori Ishihara as Aladdin
• Yuuki Kaji as Ali Baba
• Haruka Tomatsu as Morgiana
• Daisuke Ono as Sinbad
• Ryohei Kimura as Judal
• Toshiyuki Morikawa as Ūgo-kun
• Takahiro Sakurai as Jafar
• Yoshimasa Hosoya as Masrur
• Showtaro Morikubo as Sharrkan
• Yui Horie as Yamuraiha
• Rumi Ookubo as Pisti
• Wataru Hatano as Spartos