Maria†Holic / Maria†Holic Alive

I think your missing a huge point here,

I am a straight male. When I was 15, I got totally horned up over every single half way decent female I saw. It’s a fact of life for many men and women, no matter if they’re gay or straight. I don’t think they’re stereotyping lesbians, I think they’re stereotyping(with good reason) teenagers.

Slick

Well you know when PP’s excited about something he watches it immediately and posts positively about it. :wink: So when Ole cynical PP says something good, you know it’s gotta be special.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

And it is. I don’t think I’ve been quite as impacted by a new anime in a while as this one. I had high expectations and I wasn’t let down.

This is a dark comedy and Shinbo’s artsy style is ever-present. What surprised me though is how viscerally this impacted me. I really had to take a moment’s pause after watching it to fully reflect on it. This is a story of flawed, dark characters, and sometimes cruel characters. I find it refreshing to see in a comedy series personally… Why should they all be likable or nice?

I was getting very heavy vibes of Les Liaisons dangereuses and Cruel Intentions when watching this.

The art and animation style is particularly great as to be expected from Shinbo and SHAFT. I loved the juxtapositions between the pretty and dark contrasting art. The designs of Mariya and Matsurika were especially pretty throughout.

I do agree with Tonka and slick also. I mean, I don’t really see this as a stereotype in a sense. It’s about flawed characters, that shouldn’t be emblematic of a whole subset of people just because there is a yuri element. I mean, if this were a traditional boy/girl romance, if the boy was a jerk or a girl was a ditz (like in a lot of romances), does that mean all boys and girls fall into that group? Especially in this case where it’s clearly a dark comedy with flawed individuals.

Having said that, we’ll have to see how things develop in the following episodes. Who knows, my views can change. :wink:

I think the fact that we’re having such different viewpoints and it’s sparking this kind of discussion is a great thing. When was the last time a comedy has sparked this kind of different viewpoints and reactions in here? Good art does that…

Really refreshing stuff though. This was the title I wanted to see the most this year, and I’m not disappointed, thus far. Can’t wait to watch more. More Shinbo, please!

yeah, that’s right…agree with me u fools…:stuck_out_tongue:

Like He Is My Master, Indian Summer (though he wasn’t realy a jerk, just kinda obsessed), or Special A (he was a jerk, I don’t care how u want to spin it - a jerk is a jerk). We should ban those too.

Here here…don’t know how many times I’ve been let down after a couple of eps/halfway thru the series. That’s right, I’m looking at u Ikki Tousen, Linebarrels…yeah, u heard me.

I understand that. But I still feel they went a bit overboard here. It would have been one thing if it had been select girls in the episode, but it was virtually every girl in the episode. This is extremely common when anime deals with any gay characters, regardless of age. A lesbian, even a horny teenage lesbian, is not going to be attracted to every woman she meets. That’s what I found a bit offensive.

It’s one of those things that are difficult to understand when you are not in the position. Many people have the opinion that ALL gay people are like this, and don’t make allowances for their age. That may have not been the creators intention, but as someone who’s actually gay, it’s hard not to see it that way. Though I have can certainly see the points Dragoon is making.

And not all 15 year olds get “horned up” anytime they see someone who is good looking, or start immediately gushing over them.

Japanese Animation well Japanese Entertainment in general tends to go over the top with Gay and black people. They do it with other things to they love to take stereotypes beyond what is needed most of the time. Most American’s they makes out as Jackasses or dumb big boobed blondes. I’m sure they meant to insult people so I won’t try to say they didn’t.

LOL… You have a very good point. A lot of American animation goes way overboard with stereotypes as well. I really enjoy Family Guy and South Park, but they often tend to do the same. While I can find the humor in those, it doesn’t stop me from being somewhat offended by what they’ve done or said. However, as South Park said, “either everything is okay to make fun of, or nothing is.”

I have much experience with 15 year old girls(I know, that definitely didn’t sound right). I have a sister who is 1 year older that me, a female cousin that is exactly 1 year older than me, an 18 year old daughter, tons of girls I grew up with(you know, the girls you play doctor and then truth or dare with), and plenty of my daughters friends. I know, as a fact, that 15 year old girls fall crazy in love with guys just by looking at them once. To me, 95% of girls that age have a tendency to gush over guys they just met. What do you girls think? When you were 15, did you see a guy(s) and automatically think “Oh my god, I could spenf the rest of my life with him, etc…”?
Slick

Since I was once a 15-year old girl, I can definitely say that I did ‘fall in love’ with several guys after looking at them once. But it was mostly short-lived (like a week). Most showed their true colors almost immediately (except the famous ones).

I know teenage girls think like that. But you’re missing the point I was making. The point was she fell in love with EVERY girl she saw. I never knew a single teenage girl growing up that fell in love with EVERYONE they saw. True they fell in love fast, but they still had standards. And like Slow said, those crushes are often short lived.

TAN needs to put like the first and second episodes up there for free. I so want to see this! Please?? Give me a sneak peak? Dragoon’s post makes me want to go sell my liver to buy this anime. Because I have no money, but I want to buy this show.

I personally am really wanting to watch more of this. May have to track down the remote control for my original Xbox or go get a new DVD Player tomorrow if the snow is not to bad.
The part I really enjoyed was…

The Dorm Supervisor Call me GOD/BOSS part. It made me laugh out loud.

Yes, that part was hilarious! Especially since she was so tiny! :slight_smile:

Well that’s because EVERY girl she saw was HOT. She didn’t fall in love with the dorm supervisor - aka, BOSS/GOD.

Well that’s probably because in real life not EVERYONE they saw was hot or attractive.

That’s right, the first important standard for any teenage boy or girl - Are they attractive/cute/HOT!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but don’t forget this is ANIME. How often is there really an unattractive girl? Even the alleged “ugly girl” in The Wallflower was pretty good looking, when she wasn’t chibby.

As for the sup, maybe they drew the line at lesbian pedophilia. :stuck_out_tongue:

My point was that the show doesn’t necessarily stereotype gays as rabid Tiger Woods, I mean sex addicts. So she fell for what, 3 girls? Big deal. In a culture the rampant PC police, I find it hard to watch anything, or say anything that doesn’t offend people. Sometimes it is what it is. It’s a comedy about a girl that is easily infatuated with the ideals of the perfect woman. She described all of the positive attributes of each of the girls she fell for. There are tons of anime where men fall for every woman they see, and vice versa.
Slick

I wasn’t necessarily saying it did. I’m simply stating how some people can and have interpreted it as offensive. I’m not saying everything should be politically correct. I just gave some very solid reasons as to why I was slightly offended by it. I’m not saying anyone else should be, though I know many other people that have been.

But I don’t have any reason to justify myself to you. I simply pointed out something that I found marginally offensive in Maria-holic. I may understand the reasons behind them, and as PP and I agreed upon, anime often use extreme stereotypes. Animation in general does this quite often. Just look at South Park, Family Guy, or the Simpsons.

Plus, just because a show may have something that offends me, however so slightly, doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it. Like I’ve said, both Family Guy and South Park have made use of extreme stereotypes that I’ve found offensive, and some much, much more than Maria-holic. However, that didn’t really lessen my enjoyment of those shows, and it probably won’t do so with this one.

I don’t see why you seem to feel the need to change my opinion on this. Unless you’ve walked in someone’s shoes, you have no right to judge how they react or feel in a certain situation.

Things are getting a bit heated - let’s all settle down and leave that at that and get back to the focus of the show. :wink:

Sorry about that. I made some jokes hoping that we could just move on, but sadly that wasn’t the case.

Anyway, I agree with you. I think we should just let the debate die off.

So about that bloody cover…

You know after seeing the first episode, I find the cover even more appropriate now. Ideal perhaps not, but I think the over-the-top reaction is just… eh. Fans being fans. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that was my first thought. After seeing the first episode, it really brings the cover into perspective. Plus, as polarizing as it was, it definitely drew attention to itself, and that’s it’s most important job.