Maria†Holic / Maria†Holic Alive

Maria†Holic

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: comedy
Themes: cross dressing, dark comedy, parody, school, shoujo ai, yuri
Plot Summary: A sophomore named Kanako who enrolls in all-girls school because she has a phobia of men and wants to find her destined yuri partner. She meets a captivating freshman named Mariya who fits her criteria—except her seemingly ideal mate happens to be a cross-dressing sadistic boy.
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2009-01-04 to 2009-03-22

ANN Info Page

Maria Holic Alive

Watch on HIDIVE

Genres: comedy
Themes: school
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary:
More misadventures of the perverted Kanako Miyamae at the girls-only Catholic academy, Ame no Kisaki.
Number of Episodes: 12
Vintage: 2011-04-07

ANN Info Page

1 Like

Well I’ll let it be know that I’m interested in this title. Not sold on it yet, and I’ll probally wait to see what the reviews have to say about it, but I could see myself buying this one. It looks quite good. Perhaps if it comes to TAN I’ll watch a bit of it to see if I’ll like it.

I’m definitely interested in this one, though I am a bit leery. I know some people have been a bit offended by some of the content, so I’m not sure how I will take it. I tend to handle these types of things well, but I know there have been portrayals in anime, and other entertainment, that I have found offensive. For instance, Family Guy doesn’t normally bother me, but their constant negative and stereotypical images of gays grate on me after a while. So this might walk a fine line for me.

This is quite an odd concept for a show when you really sit and think about it. Like if this was live action it would really stand out as an oddity, but I guess in an anime anything goes. It’s kinda random, like people were sitting ina room one day and went “Uhh…lesbain girl and a boy who dresses in drag fall in love”, but whatever, let’s see what they can do with it. But I am interested in it, so I can’t wait to see what fans and the reviewers have to say about it.

Yeah, me neither. So far, it has very mixed things coming from the people who have seen it. But those who haven’t been offended by the content, generally tend to find it rather funny. So I’ll definitely be giving it a try. Though I haven’t decided if I will preorder it, or wait to see if TAN airs it first.

SHAFT and Shinbo are automatic buys for me.

Gia of Animevice mentioned liking the ED last month and we had a bit of a discussion on it. I’ve been hooked on the ED since then. In my view, SHAFT have the most artsy, stylish and trendy J-style OP/ED’s. This ED is my song of the Holidays. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for posting that! I love the ED. Though I must say I also enjoyed the opening as well. These moved Maria-Holic into the “Must Buy” category!

1 Like

Yeah the OP is fantastically stylish - SHAFT magic. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see all the fuss about the eye-brow raising nature of this show. That type of stuff doesn’t bother me. After Old Boy and Urotsukidoji, it takes a lot to shock me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Media Factory also has trailers up for the show. Unfortunately, they are in Japanese with no subs.

1 Like

I’ve seen the show so I can give you a feel for it. If you like Shaft(Pani Poni Dash, Negima?!) it is a lot like that only with yuri.

The two leads have great chemistry but a few of the minor characters get on my nerves including future favorite character of the boards, god.

Hmm…looks like they changed the op for the U.S. release.
I’ve seen it in the trailer section on the 2nd Tears to Tiara collection. It’s kinda weird, I assume scenes from the show itself were spliced in, I guess to give an idea of what the show is about and overall atmosphere of it. Lots of chibi heads and minimalists art/facial expressions.

It’s still good, but I kinda liked the original that’s up above.

Same theme song or did they change that?

Where did you see the trailer for this on Tears to Tiara? I’m looking at the trailers section right now, and I only see Yozakura Quartet, Ghost Hound, Special A, You’re Under Arrest: Full Throttle, Polyphonica, and To Love Ru.

However, the trailer is on The Skull Man. Tonka is correct. It does look like they were given a different opening. It uses the same music, and a lot of the animation is the same, but some scenes from the show are spliced in. It’s not quite as artistic or unique as the original, but still quite good. Hopefully, Sentai will stick with their trend and include it on the release as an extra.

Ooopss…I meant Skull Man. I got them both in the mail and was going throught the trailers on both. My bad.

Yeah the OP of Skull Man is different, they didn’t allow the R1 licensing of it, so Sentai had to pick a different theme from the licensor.

I;d buy this cold just from the description, it looks like it’s amusing… and kind of up my alley, so to speak, too.

Just watched the first episode on the Online Player. Everyone who has a subscription go watch now and those that don’t get one.
Or in both cases Buy the DVD set during the current sale at Rightstuf.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,4/func,view/id,36966/

I ordered the set today.

Oh before I forget make sure to keep watching after the end theme there is more.

I just finished episode one, and I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this right now. On one hand, I’m a bit bothered by Miyamae being so flaky and desperate. She sees one chick, “OMG, she beautiful. I want here!” Then she sees another. “She’s gorgeous. I want her!” Then a third one. I’m pretty sure lesbians don’t think like that, even as teenagers. It bothered me just a bit, and plays to some negative stereotypes about gay people.

But other than that, I do like the show. It’s funny at times, and now I can more easily understand the use of “nose bleeds” on the DVD cover. The art work and animation are also outstanding. The scene where Mariya leans in and kisses Miyamae on the cheek was animated beautifully. I was extremely impressed.

I guess now I’m starting to see why some people were offended by this show. I can see where the claims of misogynism come from. I will keep watching and see what I think of the rest. But the things this show does well, it does exceedingly well.

Wow…anime fans being so politicaly correct. Now I’ve seen everything.

Watching it now!