Neon Genesis Evangelion / Shinseiki Evangelion

Their handling of Rokka of the Six Braves has left me with the opposite impression. If they were to handle the US market also but yet still only bring their traditional few thousand copies (if that) then we’d still be getting slapped pretty hard with a shortage of supply.

I guess I’m sticking with my ancient DVDs, because GKIDS apparently thinks it has made too much money or something and doesn’t want mine.

More information on forthcoming editions will be available on 8/30/21

What are the odds that they’ll pull a PonyCan?

3 Likes

They only produce what they believe they can sell in the UK . It’s not financially sounds for them to do more then that for most releases . If they were to do a world market release they’d probably partner with Rightstuf or Shout Factory to do so . They’d up the numbers to make sure to meet the demand like they did with EVA over there .

Their Rokka was still up on Amazon UK until early last year . It probably just did not have enough demand to produce more units or they are like the collectors Blu-ray or vinyl companies . Where the license only allows so many copies before the have to negotiate to make more . I think some of them are only like a 1000 copies .

They also have been going back and rereleasing older releases in new sets . Charlotte got one and Samurai Flamenco has one coming . Depending on if they see demand and they still have it they could rerelease Rokka .

Back to EVA I really hope Gkids and Anime Limited can include the old dub in the upcoming releases to for those that want it and could not get in on it for various reasons . Not like Gkids despite the obvious demand is going to produce anymore copies of the UE .

I’m still wondering why do it in the middle of the day when so many people were at work . I’m pretty sure they could have sold through 10000 copies in a day or two also .

3 Likes

I’d certainly like to see this going forward. I have been underwhelmed by my experience with Amazon UK (the shipping…lolwut), and it would be swell to be able to buy a bluray that I can watch on a normal bluray player without having to hope that it has a secret “Konami Code” that will work to disable region locking.

How can they see demand when there’s no product? It’d be a bro move if Crunchy, which IIRC commissioned the dub, could’ve plugged the bluray. Can’t really expect people to seek out some boutique seller across the pond on their own IMO.

Here’s hoping. Did Funimation eventually relent and make the old dub available on more than just their “primo” version of Escaflowne? It’d be a shame if the ADV Greenfield goodness weren’t readily available going forward.

1 Like

Mahiro Maeda’s Evangelion 3.33 Drafts Shown Off in Digest Video

August 25, 2021 3:01am CDT
Evangelion 3.333 was released on 4K UHD Blu-ray today in Japan

1 Like

I watched all 4 Rebuild movies over the course of two days .

My short thoughts . They were good in a shorter watch time period and I think if I ever decide to rewatch any EVA ever again this would be my preferred version .

The TV series plus Death and Rebirth with End of in my opinion did not age as well as I believe the Rebuild movies will .

The English dub was good there was a few oddities ,but they were no near as standout as the Netflix TV series dub .

4 Likes

Rightstuf links are live

Collectors Edition

Retail Price: $219.99

There’s limited quantity of Neon Genesis Evangelion Complete Series Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray available at this price. Order now before they’re gone!

Standard Edition

Retail Price: $59.98

3 Likes

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION | Blu-ray Pre-order Trailer

Neon Genesis Evangelion Complete Series Blu-ray Coming in November

by Anime News Network (Paid Advertisement), Aug 30th 2021

GKIDS Reveals Details for Neon Genesis Evangelion Anime’s Blu-ray Disc Releases

posted on 2021-08-30 16:35 EDT by Alex Mateo
Collector’s Edition launches on December 8

2 Likes
Summary

1 Like

Collectors Edition is sold out at Gkids.

Shout Factory Links:

1 Like

Are fans still going to keep the old ADV DVDs?

2 Likes

Since Fly Me to the Moon won’t be included on the GKids release, there’s actually good motivation to keep the DVD sets.

From what I’ve heard it would have cost them around $250k / episode to license the song for this release

3 Likes

Holy s*** that is insane. Is Sinatra’s estate that greedy?

2 Likes

No, it’s actually the record label who owns the song

2 Likes

The song being used in various forms for all the episodes ending and as background music for some scenes probably would mean to make it work they’d have had to charged about $1500 to $2000 a set to still turn something of profit . They may have been able to make it work with a kickstarter and getting some of the rich fans to buy in to a higher tier bracket ,but who knows for sure .

3 Likes

That is unfortunate. My favorite part of Eva is the ending theme.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve noticed the prices on eBay of the old perfect collection falling. People must not care about the ending being gone.

2 Likes

A lot of people are also picking up the platinum release in some form though .

A word of warning to anyone looking . The Platinum Thinpak has a pretty convincing bootleg floating around .

2 Likes

Is it the silver or Shinji cover?

2 Likes

It’s silver . It’s pretty much identical looking to the legit Thinpak with Asuka and Rei on the box from what I’ve seen . The background details are less pronounced and the artbox is way to smooth . Not showing the cases . It’d probably be a lot easier to spot in hand then online unfortunately. The disc cases on the vast majority of them are clear thinpaks so that is a big tell as the ADV’s ones were black cases. It’s been around since at least 2014 so who knows how many got put out .

2 Likes