Ohayocon News & Notes

My pics turned out to be all blurred crap. For much better pics of Ohayocon 2012 go here:

pics of dealers room and artist’s allay balcony above it

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2985020797426.137383.1619209623&type=1&l=37315317a0

PDF files are so nice :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t put the couches in the elevator, please!

I just finished my only full day at Ohayocon 13. Had a fantastic time. It has grown again this year. Even more dealers, truckloads of cosplayers, great panels and Artist Alley had the most and best artists ever.

The wife had to work that day and she laughed and said “have a good time. I was still a little sleepy and not alert and I didn’t check my wallet until she left. Sure enough, she took my debit card and left me with just cash FFFFFUUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!

I started out with a decent breakfast at home, and arrived at the con at 9:30am. The convention center parking garage was already full. I had to park about a block away.

I pre-registered for a pass, so I just walked in a special room .showed my I.D. and walked out with my pass. It took maybe a minute, as compared waiting an hour and a half for those who are buying that day.

The first thing I did was take photos of cosplayers. They were really good with their costumes. This year’s theme was Zombies so there was a lot of those, but the variety was great. Once I get them developed I will post them

Next I made a beeline to Artist allay. To meet old friends and create new ones Oh my gosh! It expanded by about 50% and the artists were all really good. I loaded up on original stuff and got business cards from new people.

Next was the Dealer’s room. The word “Room” is a misnomer. It was gigantic, easily the size of three basketball courts full of Otaku nirvana! I picked up some DVD boxed sets, manga, t-shirts, but no figurines. I must say there are no bargains at dealer’s rooms. Everything is top dollar. I also got some gifts for some friends.

I then went to the food court and had a chicken stir-fry. By then most of the panels I wanted to go to started opening
Here are the panels I went to:
Shiny Sailor Moon Musicals, Chris Ayres, Tiffany Grant, Zombies in the Closet, Dave Lister and Pokémon (Dave is an artist friend)
Anime Old Enough to Drink, Cosplay fashion show and Contest, Studio Capsule with Robert and Emily Dejesus, Artists Roundtable, Funimation Sneak Peeks, Bouncing through the years: Gainax, Anime Parody Dub Workshop

Matt Greenfield had several Panels, but I ran out of time to go to them

I made a final visit to dealer’s room and artists allay. I met Robert Dejesus and talked for a while and I made arrangement for a later commission. He was selling Ohayocon T-shirts (his artwork and pulled out some beautiful Pencil sketches not meant to be sold he would let me have for only $15 apiece Oh Hell yes I would buy them. I opened my wallet
 Tapped out of cash. NNNNOOOOooo!!!.

Left the Con at 6:00 really tired. The weather was still good enough that some cosplayers went to local downtown restaurants. It was amusing to see downtown Columbus full of Elves, stormtroopers, ninjas,ect wandering around the streets of downtown Columbus.

Next up Matsuri con in August

1 Like

I’m so sorry we missed this, Outlander. When in August is Matsuricon? Glad you had fun, but as a former banker, how did you let someone near your debit card???

She can be be pretty tricky. It was morning and I just woke up and did not have my Caffine yet.She was wide awake and she pulled a fast one on me. It didn’t register with me that she would do that until she drove off. It keeps me from whipping out our checking acct because I have no control at cons.

[quote=“outlander” post=133059]I just finished my only full day at Ohayocon 13. Had a fantastic time. It has grown again this year. Even more dealers, truckloads of cosplayers, great panels and Artist Alley had the most and best artists ever.

The wife had to work that day and she laughed and said “have a good time. I was still a little sleepy and not alert and I didn’t check my wallet until she left. Sure enough, she took my debit card and left me with just cash FFFFFUUUUUCCCCCKKKK!!!
[/quote]

Brutal. Bachelorhood FTW :wink:

Developed??

Well shoot, Greenfield was the whole reason to even consider going to Ohayocon. Since I’m obligated to be “that guy” I must point out that in abstaining from the Greenfield panels you did Ohayocon wrong :smiley:

I’d thought of going to Ohayocon for Greenfield (I’ve gone further to lesser cons to interact with him) but it just wasn’t to be for me this year. I’m glad someone out there enjoyed Ohayocon as the times that my group and I have gone we didn’t enjoy it. It’s too large to have the small con efficiency and feel and too small to have the epic events that large cons are known for. I honestly enjoy Masuricon much more, especially the legendary 2011 year when they went all-out on guests. Now this wasn’t a problem for you, I take it, but the local hotels just can’t handle the amount of con attendees. The Hyatt is saturated for the much-smaller Matsuricon, but one thing I’ve noticed that works in Ohayocon’s favor is that the walkways to the other hotels aren’t stifling as they are for the summer cons.

Sigh. I thought it was annoying a few years back when cons were full of people cosplaying well-known shounen characters like Naruto and Ichigo but I’d gladly have that again instead of the modern con “cosplayers” who don generic get-ups (“zombie”, “elf”, “steampunk”) that aren’t even tangentially related to anime.

I used a disposable camera. The digital camera I have is a piece of crap that I can’t hold still long enough to get an unblurred pic

August 23th - 25th 2013

I’m not sure I remember the last time I used a disposable film camera.

Speaking of Matsuricon, I’m a bit surprised that their site doesn’t appear to have been updated in eons. In years past, they’ve been announcing their guest lists months and months in advance. Seeing the death of a oon in Ohio that hosted Greenfield in 2011 has made me pretty paranoid about the, ah, longevity of all Ohio cons.

[size=16]Ohayocon 2016[/size]
January 15 - January 17, 2016 @ Columbus, OH

Panel Schedule

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-935341/crunchyroll-at-ohayocon-2016

Please join us at OhayoCon this weekend for our first convention of 2016! If you’re in Columbus, Ohio, you can join Crunchyroll Brand Manager MilesExpress999 (me!) for three panels full of thrills, news, and the finest animation our of Japan during the new year.

Our Panels will be as follows:

Working in the [Anime] Industry
Friday, January 15th - 4:00pm - Columbus Convention Center - Panel 9

Crunchyroll Industry Panel
Saturday, January 16th - 3:00pm - Hyatt Regency Colombus Union B-E

Crunchyroll Winter Seasonl
Saturday, January 16th - 6:00pm - Hyatt Regency Colombus Union B-E

I look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/01/13/ohayocon-otakon-vegas-oh-my

OhayoCon, Otakon Vegas, Oh My!
Posted by Lauren on 01/13/2016 at 4:22pm

The New Year is off to a crazy start for our conventions crew! Our team is splitting up this weekend to make anime magic happen at both OhayoCon and Otakon Vegas, so make room in your weekend plans for some awesome panels and a trip to the Funimation booth!

Ohayocon Event to be Held Digitally on January 22-24

posted on 2020-09-20 09:00 EDT by Adriana Hazra
Digital event E-hayocon to be hosted on Ohayocon Public Discord Server

Volunteers, Former Senior Staff Boycott Ohayocon Convention

by Kennedy, Jan 19th 2024

I’ve only been to Ohayocon, once, when I happened to be in the Columbus area for something else entirely (Trip to COSI) it was alright but it’s kind of a drive for me to go, so I usually don’t go.

2 Likes