AN Forums

Psycho-Pass TV & Movie

On the plus side, no Clink. Prayers were answered there. On the downside, Brina Stephanie Young (guess she does not let the 9 month disease hold her back) and Bolton are all possible pitfalls. Is Michelle Rojas related to the Rojas who is the funimation PR guy?

The LE doesn’t seem that bad price-wise and it doesn’t seem to be much larger than the 2 half-series put together. Since this has been the only “thinker” show in the pipeline, sadly, I have my fingers crossed that funimation can make it not suck.

Well, by ep 4 this show has finally started to have some promise. They’ve also gotten away from the uber-moe with the main character. Hopefully they stay away from it, that it was only there in all of its annoyance so that the UroButcher could “subvert” it, as is his signature.

Still, 4 episodes in didn’t leave me so awestruck that I had to order the show or feel disappointed that I can’t watch the next episode until later in the month (when Funi streams it).

Jason Douglas has definitely been the MVP of this dub. McCollum playing out of his typecast-being the Steve Blum substitute-has been interesting. Maybe Zach Bolton is finally coming out of his slump as a director?

Wow, I just noticed that RightStuf raised the price of the LE from $95 to $119.

The ~$86 was tempting, but $107 is a no-go.

2x the price of the BD/DVD version for BD-only and a smattering of extras just a bit below what ADV/Funi/Geneon/Bandai bundled in the old days? Am I missing something here?

Made it through the Brina Palencia arc. While this isn’t much different from what I see on mainstream US TV I do have to wonder if the people who push for it to be put on Toonami have even seen the show lol. Didn’t CN actually censor Death Note back in the day?

Speaking of Death Note, this show is definitely living in its shadow :frowning:

The later episodes of this show contain “brutality for brutality’s sake”. It is like watching a snuff film. In fact, it became a snuff film.

This show has been a huge disappointment. This is poorly written, poorly constructed pretentious schlock. Someone needs to contain this UroButcher doofus before he wrecks something else. Keep him doing Madoka Magica-esque stuff and away from Sci-fi. My disappointment with this sinks to previously uncharted depths.

I’m thankful that I didn’t buy this. I might never.

Then don’t, but one thing that should be on your To-do List is using the Edit button. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I put all of my contempt for and disappointment with Psycho-pass into one post it would be a post denser than a black hole, a post that would suck in all other posts. While it could, Madoka Magica style, also potentially provide a limitless source of energy I didn’t want to take that chance :wink:

Though I’ve come up with a phrase to sum up Psycho-pass: “Baby’s First ‘Thinking’ Show”. The way it holds the viewer’s hand through all of its “complicated” stuff and shoe-horns in quotes from “smart people” in order to “sound intelligent” is almost cute.

Edit: “Dawwwww, the wittle psycho-pass is so cute! Isn’t it just totally adorable the way Gen Urobuchi believes that he’s Shakespeare’s successor?” (Just for you, I’ve used the edit button)

Good job, though you wasted a perfectly good chance to create an FTL drive and pioneer intergalactic space travel, not to mention make a fortune. :side:

Psycho-Pass 2 to Debut in October, Followed by Winter Film

posted on 2014-03-21 10:40 EDT
Novel featuring 4 characters, Shinya Kogami manga to launch in June

Thanks for the warning :wink:

Though with someone besides The UroButcher at the helm, these novels might actually be decent. Though one ought to read Sherlock Holmes or Death Note instead.

Psycho-Pass Earns Japan Sci-Fi Con Nod

posted on 2014-04-28 13:53 EDT

Well I believe that it is clear which entry shouldn’t win…

GuP is barely SciFi so it doesn’t feel justified here but I’d still vote for it over psycho-pass. I’ve seen shows that were worse on their own but psycho-pass takes the crown of worst because it didn’t live up to the hype that it built for itself with every other line of dialogue.

To nominate psycho-pass is to nominate Minority Report…

"Psycho-Pass" 1st TV Anime’s “New Edit Version” Air Date Set for July 10
A summer event “DIVE to PSYCHO-PASS” is also planned
June 06, 2014 12:50am EDT

The official site for the Psycho-Pass anime project announced today on June 6 that the 11-episode “New Edit Version” of the 1st TV anime series in 2012 will start airing on Fuji TV’s noitamina block on July 10, then followed by other stations. It re-edits the 22-episode first season into 11 one-hour episodes with newly-produced footage. A second TV anime is scheduled in October, then a feature film is slated for this winter. The site also announced a plan for an upcoming event “DIVE to PSYCHO-PASS: Psychopassuru Natsu.” The details of the event will be revealed on June 19.*

Noitamina’s official YouTube channel today posted a 15-second CM for the “New Edit Version” below:

“Psycho-Pass Project” PV posted in March

Key visual

Source: “Psycho-Pass” anime project official site: http://psycho-pass.com/news/

© “Psycho-Pass” Production Committee
Crunchyroll

Psycho-Pass 2’s Scripts Overseen by Fafner’s Tow Ubukata

posted on 2014-06-23 09:48 EDT
Mardock Scramble author takes over role held by Gen Urobuchi

Tow Ubukata Joins Staff of Psycho-Pass 2 as Series Composer, Gen Urobuchi Continues as Story Planner and Scenario Director

Jun. 27, 2014

Funimation Adds Psycho-Pass season 2, extended edition, film

posted on 2014-07-05 23:23 EDT

Gen Urobuchi To Attend Japan Expo USA As Guest Of Honor

July 12, 2014 12:52pm CDT
Another chance to get “Urobutchered” for US fans

4th Chapter of “Psycho-Pass: New Edit Version” Canceled due to Similar Murder Case

July 31, 2014 2:30am CDT
"The content is not appropriate in the current situation"

The official site and Twitter account for the Psycho-Pass anime project today announced that the broadcast of the 4th chapter of the on-going “New Edit Version” of the first TV anime, which was originally scheduled for tonight on July 31, is canceled. The 5th chapter is moved up instead. While the site simply says, “due to schedule reasons,” their Twitter account explains more specifically:

They doesn’t mention directly, but it is obvious that this decision is caused by the recent murder case by a 16-year-old high school girl in Sasebo-city, Nagasaki Prefecture. According to the police, the girl, who had lived alone after her mother’s death and father’s second marriage, killed her female 15-year-old classmate at her apartment on Saturday. She hit the victim’s head with hammers more than 10 times and strangled her as well. Then she cut off her friend’s head and left hand with a 25cm-long saw. The police discovered the dismembered body on a bed. She reportedly told investigators that she wanted to dissect someone.

The 4th chapter of Psycho-Pass: New Edit Version includes a similar crime case involving teenage girls.

Funimation Streams Cancelled Psycho-Pass Episode

posted on 2014-07-31 16:30 EDT
Episode broadcast delayed indefinitely in Japan due to related current events

Thursday’s broadcast of the fourth episode of the Psycho-Pass Extended Edition was cancelled in Japan and episode five was aired instead. North American distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced on Thursday that it has streamed the fourth episode this week as planned and will stream both the fifth and sixth episodes next week to catch up. Funimation stated the episode was skipped in Japan “due to recent incidents.”

The Psycho Pass website announced the delayed broadcast on Thursday, stating the the subject matter was not deemed appropriate at this time. A new broadcast date for the episode has not yet been determined. Director Naoyoshi Shiotani apologized for the skipped broadcast over Twitter on Thursday, stating that it was his responsibility as a director.

A 16-year-old Japanese high school student from Sasebo in Nagasaki prefecture was arrested on Sunday for murdering and decapitating her classmate.

Funimation describes the episode’s story:

The “new edit version” of Psycho-Pass takes the first series and re-cuts it into 11 one-hour episodes with new cuts of footage. Funimation is streaming the series on Thursdays at 1:20 EDT.

Psycho-Pass 2’s Cast, Staff, Promo Video Unveiled

posted on 2014-09-18 15:05 EDT
Keiji Fujiwara, Marina Inoue, Ryohei Kimura join cast; animation production moves to Tatsunoko Pro

The official website for the Psycho-Pass 2 television anime announced the new series’ staff and cast on Friday. The website also announced that the show will premiere on Fuji TV’s Noitamina block at night on Thursday, October 9, and unveiled a promotional video, TV spot, and new key visual.

The cast includes:
• Kana Hanazawa as Akane Tsunemori
• Kenji Nojima as Nobuchika Ginoza
• Keiji Fujiwara as Sakuya Tougane
• Ayane Sakura as Mika Shimotsuki
• Takahiro Sakurai as Sho Hinakawa
• Shizuka Itou as Yayoi Kunizuka
• Miyuki Sawashiro as Shion Karanomori
• Masumi Asano as Risa Aoyanagi
• Marina Inoue as Mizue Shisui
• Ryohei Kimura as Kirito Kamui

Naoyoshi Shiotani is returning to direct the series and Yuugo Kanno is returning to compose the music, but Tow Ubukata will handle the series composition and Jun Kumagai will write the scripts. Tatsunoko Production will replace Production I.G as the animation production studio. The other staff members include:

• Planning Supervision: Katsuyuki Motohiro, Gen Urobuchi (Nitroplus)
• Original Character Design: Akira Amano
• Character Design: Kyoji Asano
• Series Director: Kiyotaka Suzuki
• Chief Animation Director: Kyoji Asano, Akira Takada
• Color Plan: Rumiko Nagai
• Art Director: Takahiro Matsuura
• 3D Driector: Yoshifumi Kasanaga
• Director of Photography: Shunsuke Nakamura
• Editing: Yoshinori Murakami
• Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
• Production: Psycho Pass Production Committee

In addition, Ling Tosite Sigure will perform the opening theme “Enigmatic Feeling” and EGOIST will perform the ending theme “Fallen.” Both themes are previewed in the promotional video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQipxKwPbo

Psycho-Pass takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person’s state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term “Psycho-Pass” in the anime’s title refers to a standard used to measure an individual’s being. The story centers around the “enforcement officer” Shinya Kōgami (Tomokazu Seki) who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

FUNimation Entertainment licensed both Psycho-Pass and Psycho-Pass 2, and is currently streaming the Psycho-Pass “new edit version” as it airs in Japan.

A film is slated for this winter.