Divergence Eve & Misaki Chronicles

Divergence Eve

Genres: action, horror, psychological, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, mecha, space
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2003-07-02 to 2003-09-24

Plot Summary: In the future, interstellar travel takes place via “inflation gates” that pass through a parallel universe. Unfortunately, denizens of another universe, called “ghouls”, want to invade our universe using the same portals. At Watcher’s Nest, a distant station, a ship arriving through a portal is attacked by a ghoul, and one of the passengers, rookie soldier Kureha Misaki, undergoes a dreadful change.

ANN Info Page

Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles

Genres: drama, horror, psychological, science fiction
Themes: fanservice, time travel
Objectionable content: Significant
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2004-01-03 to 2004-03-27

Plot Summary: Misaki Kureha trains to become a soldier at the Allied Forces Military Academy in hopes of one day to better understand her father who dyed in a military accident. This is the time period that Lyar and the other first find when they return from Watchers Nest. The ghoul are believed to be the cause of the phenomenon. In response Lyar and Kotoko-01 are getting set for the dangerous mission to attempt to get through the green haze around the earth to find out what happened.

ANN Info Page

Sentai Filmworks Press Release for Divergence Eve

I just watched the first episode and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the rest of the series as CGI heavy as the first episode?

2. WTF is up with the end credits? They felt totally out of place. I’m cool with fan service, but there was just an extreme change of tone from the show to the end credits/

The show is a bit CGI heavy. Also, the end credits do not match the tone of the show itself, but in a way you find out why later. It kinda deals with how the main character wants the world to be.

[quote=redshirt1]
The show is a bit CGI heavy. Also, the end credits do not match the tone of the show itself, but in a way you find out why later. It kinda deals with how the main character wants the world to be.[/quote]

This.

[quote=BruceLee007]
I just watched the first episode and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the rest of the series as CGI heavy as the first episode?

2. WTF is up with the end credits? They felt totally out of place. I’m cool with fan service, but there was just an extreme change of tone from the show to the end credits/[/quote]

Divergence Eve at TV Tropes has good descriptions about the tropes found in the show.

Divergence Eve is rather controversial due to its excessively busty characters and use of fanservice in a story that would otherwise have been taken more seriously.
Anachronic Order: Confused by the first episode? You should be, as it takes place chronologically between episodes 12 and 13.
Better Than It Sounds: Ignore the description on the back of the box. It’s not an action series, and the fanservice is incidental.

1. The battle scenes with the ghouls are Conspicuous CG. Outside of the battles and outrageously spacious control deck, it is not so bad.

2. That’s more of Bait and Switch Credits - it is not indicative of the series.

3. If you can turn off the portion of your brain that says “wow, they have such magnificent busts” and “those uniforms are Stripperific”, you’ll find that the show has a pretty good science fiction plot.

I found it enjoyable.
-Joe

[size=15]Unannounced premiere of the English dub.[/size]

[quote=“Rai”]Thursday March 28
[S][F] Tamako Market ep. 12 - TBA [FINALE!]
[S][F] From the New World ep. 21 - The Fire That Destroys the World
[S][F] Amnesia ep. 8 - VIII[/quote]

That’s not all that showed up on 03/28.

[D][F] Divergence Eve, episodes 1 and 2
Premiere of the English dub of Divergence Eve, which will be shown two episodes per week, and is free (available to guests)!

“Coming March 28, 2013 1:00 am EDT / 10:00 pm PDT - Ep. 1: Mission 02” (episode 12.5)
“Coming March 28, 2013 1:00 am EDT / 10:00 pm PDT - Ep. 2: Quantum Barrier”
“Coming April 5, 2013 1:00 am EDT / 10:00 pm PDT - Ep. 3: Necromancer”
“Coming April 5, 2013 1:00 am EDT / 10:00 pm PDT - Ep. 4: Specular”

I stumbled across this thanks to Slowhand.

-Joe

[quote=“Slowhand”]LIST OF FREE ANIME ON THE AN ONLINE PLAYER
Updated 3/25/2013
Dubbed - Complete Anime

Divergence Eve (eventually all episodes)[/quote]

English cast ANN Info Page
Kira Vincent-Davis as Misaki Kureha
Adam Jones as Operator
Allison Sumrall as Comrie Rotblat
Chris Patton as : 2nd Lt. Hicock: Platoon Leader
Christine Auten as Luxadara Frail
Emily Carter-Essex as : Operator: Susanna Bleustein
George Manley as : EU President: Ice Cream Man: Kessler: Mechanic: Moustache: Operator
Greg Ayres as Nodera
Jason Douglas as Jean-Luc Leblanc
Jay Hickman as Bernard Firestar
Jessica Boone as Kiri Marialate
John Gremillion as Luke Walker
John Swasey as : Ghoul: Juhzou Kureha: Technical Officer
John Tyson as Wulfgang Woerns
Kaytha Coker as Operator
Luci Christian as Prime Snowlight
Monica Rial as Operator
Rick Burford as : Control: Lt. Azevedo: Operator
Rick Piersall as Morozof
Sasha Paysinger as Kotoko-01
Shelley Calene-Black as Lyar Von Ertiana
Sian Taylor as Operator
Tiffany Grant as : Announcer; Lt. Yung: Operator

Chris Patton
Greg Ayres
Hilary Haag
Melissa Cybele
Mike MacRae
Shawn Taylor
Svea Macek
Victor Carsrud

An old-school classic cast. 2 eps a week?! :woohoo: I must have tumbled into the Twilight Zone :lol:

How is a 2003 show being shown in High Definition, as it is marked on the main “Watch-Online” page?

[quote=“celestial_being”]
How is a 2003 show being shown in High Definition, as it is marked on the main “Watch-Online” page?[/quote]

Depends on the materials ADV was given and what ADV supplied TAN.
Both Divergence Eve and Misaki Chronicles were 16:9 aspect rather than 4:3, so it’s entirely possible they were given proper materials to upscale to HD, or even given HD digital masters to begin with.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

How is a 2003 show being shown in High Definition, as it is marked on the main “Watch-Online” page?[/quote]

Depends on the materials ADV was given and what ADV supplied TAN.
Both Divergence Eve and Misaki Chronicles were 16:9 aspect rather than 4:3, so it’s entirely possibly they were given proper materials to upscale to HD, or even given HD digital masters to begin with.[/quote]

Does aspect ratio alone make a show HD? I’d hope not but I’m not sure what the TAN stance on this is.

If there are real HD (1280*720 or higher) masters of a show made in 2003, a time where “480p” was coveted (and soon after suppressed by Nintendo lol), then anime companies have some serious 'splainin to do! :angry: :wink:

Come to think, Kurenai is also listed as HD. That was watchable, sure, but I wouldn’t call that HD. IMO the stream < upscaled DVD. It sounds like I found the answer to my own question, but I was hoping that I was wrong. Either way I’ll have to check this out as I only ever saw DE’s sequel series, as I recall.

[url=http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Divergence-Eve/Watch][/url] [b]Episodes 01-13 (Dub) are now LIVE![/b]

Wha? Was this show on here before?

It’s been on and off on here for years.

Sigh. Shows should never leave TAN once they get here. It should be the Hotel California for shows. Gotta watch it quick, because like Fate/Unlimited I could wake up one day and it’ll be gone.

Saw ep 1. Ridiculous character designs aside (and poorly aged CG; it’s like QuestWorld only 7 years newer), this show could have some potential after all. I think that it was an interesting choice to start off the series as they did.

I really miss these classic adv dub casts. Listening to this dub is making me nostalgic for the good ole dubs and th actors that used to be mainstays in 'em.

Other then the Ridiculous character designs and poorly aged CG, I really like this anime. The end of Misaki Chronicles is extremely sad so have tissues ready.

A lot of masters are not in digital format (480i or 720p); the original cels were recorded on film.

Re-scanning wide-screen photographic masters with new telecine cameras is one way to get 720p out of an older show.

-Joe

[quote=“SpaceCobraJoe”]

A lot of masters are not in digital format (480i or 720p); the original cels were recorded on film.

Re-scanning wide-screen photographic masters with new telecine cameras is one way to get 720p out of an older show.

-Joe[/quote]
That may be, but I have my doubts that this qualifies for that. Even if it does, it’d make the low framerate, low-res CG stand out even further. Like the Star Trek TV series blu rays, the CG for this would have to be redone. On a tangent, I really wish that “frame skipping” in CG sequences hadn’t been so rampant in 2000s anime as it makes the action a bit like a flipbook; were they charged per frame of CG? :lol:

This series looks good enough for me to stream but I personally would not call it HD. On my viewing device, besides the aspect ratio, the video quality seems very similar to me between Divergence Eve, in HD, and RahXephon, which is in SD (and seems to feature Monica Rial in a larger role than I thought).

[size=15]ONLINE EXCLUSIVE[/size]

[size=16]Watch Divergence Eve: Misaki Chronicles On Anime Network Online[/size]

[url=http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Divergence-Eve-Misaki-Chronicles/2315-Allied-Forces-Military-Academy/Watch][/url] [b]Episode 01 (Dub) is now LIVE![/b]

Alright, so when I finally finish the first one I can go back to the sequel. Since it is marked as HD can I safely assume that it has been remastered like TAN tells us the original has been?

Say, the DVDs of this from back in “the day” didn’t have any cool on-disc English DVD extras, did they?

Does “online exclusive” mean that the guys who choose to do battle with the VOD system that their cable cos provide don’t get this?

Does “online exclusive” mean that the guys who choose to do battle with the VOD system that their cable cos provide don’t get this?[/quote]

That is exactly what it means.
At least for the moment.
Much like the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia & Mysterious Girlfriend X Dubs.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

Does “online exclusive” mean that the guys who choose to do battle with the VOD system that their cable cos provide don’t get this?[/quote]

That is exactly what it means.
At least for the moment.
Much like the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia & Mysterious Girlfriend X Dubs.[/quote]

Glad to see “teh interwebs” get the love, though so far I think that VOD still has gotten the edge in exclusives. I don’t think there need to be exclusives but as long as they exist I’ll hope that they keep up the trend of favoring the internet streaming.