Revolutionary Girl Utena / Shōjo Kakumei Utena

I thought the music was good, too. And I did get some real laughs out of the show. The male posing was so campy, it had me in stitches most of the time. Probably not the intended response, but I just couldn’t help myself. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The symbolism wouldn’t have bothered me IF it had served a purpose. It just seemed to add to the general confusion.

Well, for me it was worth it, if only to hear Masami Okui sing Rinbu Revolution [strike]39[/strike] 38 times! (I forgot, they didn’t use the OP on the last episode.)

Agree the music was good. Loved the music that was playing on the way to the dueling arena.

Ditto!!! :lol:

Episode 39 -

spoiler

Anthy’s betrayal was expected, but still shocking in the way it happened. All because a girl can’t be a prince! Anthy rejects being saved by a girl in the end, but I think it somehow backfires.

Utena’s prince rides a merry-go-round. A merry-go-round can represent that “you are going nowhere or in a state of stagnation” – I think this describes Akio perfectly.

Anthy seems to regret stabbing Utena with the sword and is reluctant to give the sword of Dios to Akio. I see now that all this time Akio has been using Anthy for his own greed. He may think she chose that path, but I think he manipulated her into it.

Anthy hates Utena for giving her “a small taste of true friendship” but again I think the hatred may be a good sign. Up until now Anthy has been very accepting of her position as the Rose Bride, but I think Utena showed her how to think beyond that with her friendship.

Akio says that the swords represent human hatred, but swords also represent masculine power. This makes sense since Anthy is under the control of Akio. Swords too can stand for a challenge, a dramatic conflict, honor, or dignity. This would make sense from Anthy’s point of view. I think she ends up with more honor than her brother.

As the swords pierce Anthy, Utena suffers along with her and begs Akio to help her. But he is too busy trying to open the Rose Gate. He might have the sword of Dios, but I don’t think he was meant to open the doors. He cheated and did not win the duel fairly. He also allows Anthy to suffer in his place. He says that Anthy “takes the swords in place of the prince – that is the destiny of the Rose Bride.” This is where he says that the choice was Anthy’s, but I still don’t think it is.

Akio may want to bring revolution to the world and gain "eternity and the power of miracles” but it’s plain that he has no honor and is not deserving of these things. It becomes even more obvious when the sword breaks and he does not regain the power of Dios, and then intends to use Anthy again to try and get what he wants.

Meanwhile, Utena is taunted by the young prince on the merry-go-round. He tells her that she can’t have the power because she is only a girl. But if she did have that power, she could free Anthy from her destiny. I think this gives Utena the strength to try to help Anthy herself.

Utena, badly wounded, fights to open the Rose Gate with her bare hands. This seems to amuse Akio until she succeeds and then he gets upset – angry even – and wants her to stop as she begins to open Anthy’s coffin. As Utena keeps her promise to free Anthy, the arena begins to crumble. Anthy hesitates just a little too long to accept Utena’s hand and is lost. I guess when it finally came down to it, Anthy just couldn’t bring herself to accept Utena – a girl - as her savior.

Utena realizes that she wasn’t strong enough to save Anthy after all and that she wasn’t meant to be a prince. The swords fall on Utena and I thought they killed her. But is it also part of Akio’s illusion? He did admit in the last episode that things were an illusion.

The rest of the school begins to forget Utena and the immortal Akio wants to begin the cycle of the duels again in order to regain his lost power. However, this time Anthy refuses to help him. Placing her glasses and the Rose Bride ring on his desk, she says – “You really don’t know what happened, do you? It doesn’t matter. By all means, stay in this cozy coffin of yours and continue to play the prince. But I have to go now.” This confuses Akio, I think because Anthy is exerting a will of her own. Anthy tells him – “She isn’t gone at all. She’s merely vanished from your world.” Akio is really stuck now – what will he do without a Rose Bride?

Although Utena ultimately failed, I think just by trying she really succeeded. She managed to open Anthy’s coffin and I think between this and her true friendship, she did free Anthy. Anthy is her own person now and can see Akio for what he is. She can think for herself and chooses to walk away from the destiny that Akio had given her. Akio is now the prisoner of his own self-made fate. Now independent, Anthy has chosen Utena over Akio and leaves to search for her, exercising her new found freedom and perhaps finally accepting Utena for what she is – a true friend.

The ending was confusing and disappointing. For a show like this, it could have been much stronger and not as open. But I agree that the music was wonderful.

I’m a couple weeks behind, but I finally watched the last episode. Unlike Wicca, I wasn’t really disappointed in it. It wasn’t quite what I expected, but looking back on the show, I thought it was quite fitting.

spoiler

I actually liked the slightly open ending with Anthy setting out to find Utena. It seems though she thought she had failed to save Anthy, her ultimate sacrifice had been enough to “revolutionize the world” and break the cycle they were all stuck in. Anthy is now her own person and able to break free of her brother’s influence. The moment where she walks off in search of Utena was may favorite, and I love the pictures that show at the end.

I got a little lost in this show towards the end, and I even missed one or two of the episodes. But I have to say that I really enjoyed the finale.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

Nozomi has picked up Utena. Glad to see it will be coming back on the market! I can’t wait to pick up the DVDs!

From Twitter:

I can buy this release knowing it will be high quality. Can’t wait.

Reminder: This show expires from the Online Player on Friday, April 22.

It’s FREE to watch, so if you haven’t seen it, now’s the time!

Thanks for the remind Slow, I wanted to finish this.
Slick

RIGHT STUF’S NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announces REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Black Rose Saga DVD Set L.E. Second remastered, premium set available on August 2, 2011.

GRIMES, Iowa, April 27, 2011 – Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division are pleased to announce REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Black Rose Saga DVD Set L.E. (Remastered Box Set 2) will be available on August 2, 2011.

This second of three, limited-edition DVD box sets will feature remastered video and a newly created Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese audio track from the recent Japanese DVD release, as well as Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo for English and Japanese audio, and English-language subtitles and on-screen translations.

On-disc extras will include animated art galleries, 1997 Utena promotional video footage, and interviews conducted with Utena Director Kunihiko Ikuhara during a previous visit to the United States. Additionally, the set will be housed in a collectors’ art box and also include a book with content from the limited-edition Japanese release with episode commentary, artwork, and the second installment of production notes from the Japanese laser disc release. Only a limited quantity of this premium set will be produced.

Nozomi Entertainment’s release of the Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Student Council Saga DVD Set L.E. (Remastered Box Set 1) is scheduled for June 7, 2011.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has been both critically acclaimed and a fan favorite since its 1997 broadcast debut on TV Tokyo and features direction by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Sailor Moon S and SuperS), series composition by Yoji Enokido (Ouran High Host Club, FLCL, Sailor Moon SuperS) and animation by J.C. Staff (Honey and Clover, Slayers, Toradora!). Utena has been described as one of the top five “best anime of all time” (Anime Insider magazine, among others), and the project also inspired animated film, manga and stageplay adaptations. Both shoujo (girls’) manga, written and illustrated by Chiho Saito, were published in North America by VIZ Media.

Visit utena.rightstuf.com to see the series’ trailers (featuring the remastered video) and to pre-order the first two REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA limited-edition DVD sets.

About REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Black Rose Saga

Utena and Anthy have become close during their time as roommates. So when Anthy casually mentions she has a brother, Utena can’t help but feel shocked. She thought she knew Anthy, but the longer she and Anthy are friends, the more she discovers she doesn’t know. What other secrets could Anthy be keeping?

However, Utena won’t have time to dwell upon such matters. A new group of duelists has emerged from the shadows. These new challengers wear black rose signets and also seek revolution, but their methods are different than those of Ohtori’s Student Council. They don’t wish to possess Rose Bride. They want to kill her.

Contains episodes 13-24.

REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Black Rose Saga DVD Set L.E.
(Remastered Box Set 2)
Pre-Book: 7/5/2011
Street Date: 8/2/2011
Runtime: Approximately 300 minutes, Dolby Digital Stereo, Color
Genre: Drama
Suggested Rating: 16+

Format: DVD (2.0 English Audio, 5.1 and 2.0 Japanese Audio, English Subtitles, English On-Screen Translations)
Catalog #: RSDVD1156
ISBN: 1-57032-705-X
UPC: 7-42617-1156-2-1
SRP: $49.99

Discs/Set: 3
Case Qty: TBA

DVD Features:
Scene access, remastered video from the recent Japanese DVD re-release, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio for English and Japanese dialogue, new Dolby 5.1 audio for Japanese dialogue, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. PLUS: Animated art galleries, 1997 Utena promo, and interviews with Utena Director Ikuhara, conducted during a previous visit to the United States. AND: A book featuring content from the recent, limited-edition Japanese DVD box set, including episode commentary, artwork and production notes from the Japanese laser disc release (part 2).

Product specifications and content may be subject to change

Explore the Ultimate Anime & Manga Shop | Crunchyroll Store

It’s a little more expensive then the first two sets because of the Movie inclusion I suspect. Retail is $79.99, but it’s $59.99 on site so that would be $53.99 with got anime. If you want the ring you have to order all three sets from Rightstuf. Does not matter if they were ordered at the same time as long as all three were ordered from Rightstuf. Also if you do want that ring need to do it now heard the amount they could get made were was not a lot.

RIGHT STUF’S NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announces REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Apocalypse Saga DVD Set L.E.

Third & final remastered, premium set scheduled for December 6, 2011;
To include final arcs of television series, plus Adolescence of Utena movie.

Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division are pleased to announce REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Apocalypse Saga DVD Set L.E. (Remastered Box Set 3) will be available on December 6, 2011.

This third and final limited-edition DVD box set will feature the concluding arcs of the Revolutionary Girl Utena television series and the theatrical film Adolescence of Utena. The episodes and movie will be presented with remastered video and newly created Dolby Digital 5.1 Japanese audio tracks (from the recent Japanese DVD releases), as well as Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo for English and Japanese audio, and English-language subtitles and on-screen translations.

On-disc extras for the television series will include animated art galleries, an interview with Director Kunihiko Ikuhara, an interview with lead actresses Tomoko Kawakami (“Utena”) and Yuriko Fuchizaki (“Anthy”), interviews with the English-language voice cast, Japanese staff commentaries for episodes 37-39, karaoke for the dueling themes, Japanese TV spots and trailers, and the original North American trailers. On-disc extras for Adolescence of Utenawill include a full-length movie commentary by Director Ikuhara, a behind-the-scenes feature with the English-language cast, Japanese TV spots and trailers, and the original North American film trailer and teaser.

Additionally, the set will be housed in a collectors’ art box and include a book with content from the limited-edition Japanese releases, including artwork, commentaries, and the third installment of production notes from the Japanese LaserDisc release. Only a limited quantity of this premium set will be produced.

Nozomi Entertainment’s releases of Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Student Council Saga DVD Set L.E. (Remastered Box Set 1) andThe Black Rose Saga DVD Set L.E. (Remastered Box Set 2) are available now.
“…it’s worth every moment and has great replay value.”
- Chris Beveridge, The Fandom Post
Revolutionary Girl Utena has been both critically acclaimed and a fan favorite since its 1997 broadcast debut on TV Tokyo and features direction by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Sailor Moon S and SuperS), series composition by Yoji Enokido (Ouran High School Host Club, FLCL, Sailor Moon SuperS) and animation by J.C. Staff (Honey and Clover, Slayers, Toradora!). Utena has been described as one of the top five “best anime of all time” (Anime Insider magazine, among others), and the project also inspired animated film, manga and stageplay adaptations. The two shoujo (girls’) manga, written and illustrated by Chiho Saito, were published in North America by VIZ Media.

Visit utena.rightstuf.com to see the series’ trailers (featuring the remastered video) and to order (and pre-order) the limited-edition DVD box sets.

About REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Apocalypse Saga
As the final duel rapidly approaches, the Student Council’s will to continue is beginning to waver. After all, End of the World’s identity and motives remain a mystery. And Utena, fueled by her desire to protect Anthy, continues to prevail over the feeble ambitions that drive the Student Council to fight.

But the Council’s ambitions are reignited when they hear a sound. At first, it’s faint, but soon it becomes clear: The promised revolution is within reach – and the duels must go on.

And what of Utena’s own ambition? To become a prince, the duels may be only one of the trials she has yet to face.
Contains television episodes 25-39, plus the theatrical film Adolescence of Utena.

REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: The Apocalypse Saga DVD Set L.E.
(Remastered Box Set 3)
Pre-Book: 11/1/2011
Street Date: 12/6/2011
Runtime: Approximately 460 minutes, Dolby Digital Stereo, Color (Plus movie: Anamorphic widescreen)
Genre: Drama
Suggested Rating: 16+
Format: DVD (TV series and movie: 2.0 English Audio, 5.1 and 2.0 Japanese Audio, English Subtitles, English On-Screen Translations)
Catalog #: RSDVD1158
ISBN: 1-57032-706-8
UPC: 7-42617-1158-2-0
SRP: $79.99
Discs/Set: 6
Case Qty: TBA

DVD Features:
Scene access, remastered video from the recent Japanese DVD re-release, Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio for English and Japanese dialogue, new Dolby 5.1 audio for Japanese dialogue, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. PLUS TV Series extras: Animated art galleries, interview with Director Kunihiko Ikuhara, interview with actresses Tomoko Kawakami (“Utena”) and Yuriko Fuchizaki (“Anthy”), interviews with the English-language voice cast, Japanese staff commentary for episodes 37-39, dueling themes karaoke (Japanese audio), Japanese TV spots and trailers, and original North American trailers. ALSO Movie extras: Full-length movie commentary by Director Ikuhara, behind the scenes with the English-language cast, Japanese TV spots and trailers, and original North American trailer and teaser. AND: A book featuring content from the recent, limited-edition Japanese DVD box sets, including artwork, episode commentary and liner notes from the LD release (part 3).

UTENA, Revolutionary Girl (Shojo Kakumei Utena) © 1997 BE-PAPAS/CHIHO SAITO/SHOGAKUKAN • SHOKAKU • TV TOKYO.

Product specifications and content may be subject to change.[/quote]

Neon Alley to Stream Revolutionary Girl Utena This Fall

posted on 2013-09-14 03:16 EDT

Just picked up the Nozomi Entertainment set. Since I also have the old Software Sculptors release, I’d thought I’d do a video comparison, and since Win DVD supports screen captures on DVD titles here’s a a comparison shot from the opening:

Software Sculptors release:

Nozomi / Right Stuf Release:

Sorry about reviving the old topic but I thought some of you would find this interesting…

The 5.1 surround Japanese track is also included, it makes the sound really pop out and pick up musical cues you would miss out on.

RIGHT STUF, Inc. and NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announce The Blu-ray Release of REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA

July 3, 2015

Looks like I’m triple dipping lol

1 Like

https://twitter.com/azabaro/status/617091601836322816

RightStuf’s Utena BD will be released as 3 collections. #AnimeExpo

RightStuf/Nozomi Press Release

Just like the original sets Student Council, Black Rose and Apocalypse