The Rose of Versailles / Versailles no Bara

The Rose of Versailles/Versailles no Bara

Genres: drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: crossdressing, historical, politics, royalty, tragedy
Objectionable content: Significant
Plot Summary: Raised from birth as a man, the Lady Oscar commands the palace guards at Versailles in the years before the French Revolution. Her beauty and noble spirit make her a shining figure in the eyes of both men and women but she is torn between her chosen life of service and duty to class and country and her own heart and desires. She lives as a noble amidst the opulence of Versailles but her keen senses and compassion are not blinded to the poverty of the French people.
Number of episodes: 41
Vintage: 1979-10-10 to 1980-09-10

ANN Info Page

The Rose of Versailles: I’ll Love You As Long As I Live (movie) Vintage: 1987-05-21

RightStuff PR

Explore the Ultimate Anime & Manga Shop | Crunchyroll Store

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RIGHT STUF, Inc. Acquires THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES[/size]
Nozomi Ent. to release classic anime as limited-edition DVD sets in 2013 and to conduct fan Q&A with creator Riyoko Ikeda; Viki to begin streaming series in December 2012.

GRIMES, Iowa, Sept. 12, 2012

OH MY GOD!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I am buying this as soon as possible.

This is pretty awesome. I think almost everyone has given up hope of this ever being licensed in R1. Hopefully, I will have the money to pick it up.

Why is the controversial Viki involved? RightStuf is going to use them to stream it (ugh, another streaming site to deal with). But are they subbing it? I hope that they aren’t as no one should pay for fansubs. Ever.

Tragically ANN chronicles that this show has been dubbed into almost every language known to man (even Arabic; wtf) except for English. I doubt that RightStuf would break their self-imposed moratorium on dubs and dub this. No dub = :frowning:

I vaguely remember seeing some of this a long while ago. I might check it out again, legally (depending, of course, on the answer to my Q about Viki’s involvement).

Also, I thought Viki was against region-locking content…

The Rose of Versailles Part 1 Available February 3, 2015

Nov 12th 2014
NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announces the Litebox-style DVD Release of THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES, PART 1

FROGMAN’s 2nd The Rose of Versailles Parody Short Streamed

posted on 2014-12-03 03:05 EST
New Frogman short views the The Rose of Versailles cast as microbes

FROGMAN’s 3rd The Rose of Versailles Parody Short Streamed

posted on 2014-12-24 07:01 EST
Tomokazu Sugita joins cast, dresses up as character from flash shorts

ANN Link: Nozomi Entertainment Announces the Litebox-style DVD Release of The Rose of Versailles, Part 2

The Rose of Versailles, Part 2

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announces the Litebox-style DVD Release of THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES, PART 2

GRIMES, IA, January 14, 2015 — Anime producer Nozomi Entertainment is pleased to announce that The Rose of Versailles, Part 2 will be available on April 7, 2015.

Also known as “Berusaiyu no Bara” and “Lady Oscar,” this new value-priced DVD set will feature the series’ final 20 episodes (21-40) with Japanese audio, English-language subtitles and English on-screen translations. On-disc extras will include an interview with director Osamu Dezaki.

“It is easy to see why The Rose of Versailles is held in such high esteem. Emotional, historical, and beautiful to watch, the show brings the last years of the French monarchy to life in the best anime style." – Anime News Network

The Rose of Versailles is based upon the best-selling manga (comic) by Riyoko Ikeda (Dear Brother, a.k.a. Oniisama e…), which was originally serialized in Shueisha’s shoujo anthology magazine Margaret, from 1972 through 1973, and later collected into 10 volumes. In addition to its anime adaptation, it inspired a short story collection (also written by Ikeda), a French-Japanese live-action film, and multiple musicals staged by Japan’s famed Takarazuka Revue.

This 40-episode anime adaptation of The Rose of Versailles originally aired on Japanese television from October 1979 through September 1980. It features animation by TMS ENTERTAINMENT CO., LTD., as well as direction by Tadao Nagahama (Romance Robot Trilogy) and Osamu Dezaki (Nobody’s Boy – Remi, Dear Brother, Aim for the Ace!).

Visit rov.rightstuf.com for more information about the The Rose of Versailles anime series.

THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES, PART 2
Format: DVD (Litebox)
Pre-Book: 3/10/2015
Street Date: 4/7/2015
Runtime: 480 minutes
Genre: Drama / Historical
Suggested Rating: 13+

Audio: Japanese (Mono)
Subtitles: English subtitles, plus English on-screen translations
Video: 4:3, Color
Catalog #: RSDVD1530
ISBN: 1-57032-689-4
ISBN 13: 978-1-57032-689-9
UPC: 7-42617-1530-2-0
SRP: $39.99

Disc Count: 4
Case Qty: 30

About THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES, PART 2

The French royalty’s indulgences have taken their toll on the common folk. While nobles live in opulence, children starve in the streets. Counts and countesses attend masquerade balls, as families unable to afford medicine are forced to bury their loved ones. What were once pleas for equality are now enraged demands for radical change…

Just as the times have changed, so has Oscar’s heart. Looking to challenge herself further, Oscar leaves the Queen’s side. She enlists with the French Guards, common soldiers who put their lives on the line every night as they patrol the streets and keep the peace. However, Oscar soon finds that an anti-noble sentiment resides everywhere, even amongst the guards that grudgingly follow her orders.

As the flames of revolution begin to spread, she soon finds herself torn between her loyalty to the crown and her loyalty to France itself.

DVD Features:
Interview with Director Osamu Dezaki, trailers.

Cover Art: http://outgoing.rightstuf.com/sleeves/rsdvd1530.jpg
Based on “The Rose of Versailles” by Riyoko Ikeda.
© Ikeda Riyoko Production • TMS
All Rights Reserved.
Under License to Right Stuf, Inc.
Produced by TMS ENTERTAINMENT CO., LTD.
*To view this image, cut and paste the URL into your Web browser.

Product specifications and content subject to change.

About Nozomi Entertainment

Introduced in 2007 as an official re-rebrand of the Right Stuf video production division, Nozomi Entertainment is recognized by discerning anime fans as a company focused on creating collector-grade releases for audiences of all ages. The Nozomi team works on a limited number of fan-favorite titles each year to ensure each Nozomi release is the absolute highest quality possible. Nozomi then combines these releases with exceptional packaging, art assets and video extras.

A small sampling of the Nozomi lineup includes: Astro Boy, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Visit www.nozomient.com for additional information.

About Right Stuf, Inc.

Founded in 1987, Right Stuf, Inc. is amongst North America’s largest publishers, distributors and retailers in the anime and manga marketplace. One of the industry’s original pioneers, Right Stuf operates a multinational mail-order catalog and one of the trade’s most recognized Internet storefronts, rightstuf.com. Right Stuf also works in a variety of media vehicles that include video streaming, podcasts and special publications. Included under the Right Stuf corporate umbrella is print publisher, Right Stuf On-Demand, and video production labels Nozomi Entertainment, Lucky Penny Entertainment, and 5 Points Pictures.
Visit www.rightstuf.com for additional information.

Rose of Versailles Complete Music Collection Announced With Previously Unreleased Tracks

posted on 2016-06-16 15:15 EDT by Amanda Whalen

Otakon 2016 - August 13, 2016
RightStuf Panel

Get Swept off Your Feet in “Rose of Versailles” Interactive Exhibit

December 16, 2017 5:40am CST
Art exhibition returns with new photo-ops for fans of the classic series.

History vs. Anime: Analyzing Rose of Versailles

October 10, 2019 12:00pm CDT
How much did ‘Rose of Versailles’ get right about the French Revolution and what was made up?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Lady Oscar and Marie Antoinette Grace Boxes of Rose of Versailles Curry

April 21, 2021 3:16pm CDT
Two flavors will be available for a limited time

The Rose of Versailles Celebrates 50 Years With Massive Art Exhibition

posted on 2022-07-26 09:45 EDT by Richard Eisenbeis

Rose of Versailles Manga Gets New Anime Film

posted on 2022-09-06 17:24 EDT by Egan Loo
Shōjo classic set before, during French Revolution already inspired TV anime, 1990 anime film, musicals, live-action film