S23/Sentai Filmworks/Switchblade Pictures/Maiden Japan , etc PR, News, And Announcements - 2012/2014

It’s too early for Fall season announcements, as they usually send those out slightly before CR announcements or slightly after something has been announced on CR.

Though I guess it is always possible, just highly unlikely.

Sentai could use an awesome announcement to offset their “taking a page from Funimation’s playbook” with their recent 11th-hour product delays (and then still running the ads with the thus-incorrect release date).

I can only hope that it is indeed that they saw the error of their ways with the sub-only BD experiment, realized the foolishness of breaking the Sentai Rule after it was steadfast for years, and have decided to dub all of the erstwhile sub-only BDs.

I’m not sure if that’s more of a “pipe dream” than Sentai, rather than the shoo-in NISA, licensing chihayafuru.

Perhaps it has to do with something regarding this,

Like Nyan Koi, it’ll be delayed to Dec., but this new release will include some of the OVA’s as well.

Maybe they’ve licensed the live-action Kenshin, or the new Yamato 2199, or…Lodoss War BD…YESSSS!!! :woohoo:

[quote=“celestial_being”]
I’m not sure if that’s more of a “pipe dream” than Sentai, rather than the shoo-in NISA, licensing chihayafuru.[/quote]

It’s probably less of a “pipe dream” than them finishing Glass Mask though.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]

I’m not sure if that’s more of a “pipe dream” than Sentai, rather than the shoo-in NISA, licensing chihayafuru.[/quote]

It’s probably less of a “pipe dream” than them finishing Glass Mask though.[/quote]

Wow, racking up those delays :frowning: At least they’re in good company lol. Besides, the delays give me time to try and catch up on TAN streaming as their lack of an Android app has led to me racking up quite a backlog (I started AKB0048 before both Haganai & DxD and yet I finished both of those but not AKB, due to streaming), to say nothing of my mass of Sentai discs that I’ve fallen behind on. I guess that’s a silver lining? :unsure:

Except for the “principle” of it I can’t say that I particularly mind (or, often, remember) the Glass Mask “infinite hiatus”.

They have a countdown up now.

[quote]It Won’t Be Long Now

Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:00:00 AM[/quote]

I was wondering if I had missed the promised awesome announcement. Thanks for pointing out that I hadn’t.

Not sure about this: can it live up to all the hype?

I take it that the timer adjusts based on the viewer’s time zone?

I’m guessing a license announcement for Free! or Gatchaman Crowds, or possibly both. I really can’t see Sentai passing up on either one, and they don’t seem like shows Funi or Viz would go for.

Lol… Apparently Thursday is tomorrow. Good to know. Between two jobs and school, I’m lucky if I know what month it is right now…

I’m hoping that the announcement is for something more than just “arbitrary show from the current season that everyone expected Sentai to grab anyhow”. I’ll be disappointed if all this build-up was for Gatchaman Crowds, say.

Now that Dec. solicitations are out, I know it has nothing to do with them, these are a possibility now as well.
My other guess would be Love Lab, since it popped up on CR so late.

I really do think it’s too early for Fall announcements from them, but considering the hype behind this, there might now a be chance for it being IS2.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes BD
Kenshin live-action movie
Gatchaman live-action movie
Sentai’s first co-production of something

I’m hoping against any live action movies. Aren’t they outside of Sentai Filmworks’ domain?

A co-production would be cool, but I think I’d be disappointed if that were the announcement as it isn’t all that awesome (and would compound the disappointment were that co-produced show turn out to be lame).

I suppose there’s some consolation that the odds of Sentai’s much-hyped announcement being lamer than the Funimation one are pretty low. Unfortunately, the odds of it being just as lame are very high.

Sentai has licensed a couple of live action movies, but they are quite rare.

Just to be clear, the time is 11am PT, 2pm ET

Sentai Filmworks is proud to present:
[video no longer exists]

Per PR:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
[size=16]SENTAI FILMWORKS LICENSES “GATCHAMAN CROWDS”[/size]

HOUSTON, September 5, 2013 — To fight a hidden enemy requires an invisible army in Sentai Filmworks’ newest acquisition: GATCHAMAN CROWDS! This 12 episode series derived from the classic GATCHAMAN TV series originally produced by Tatsunoko Production is directed by Kenji Nakamura (tsuritama), features character designs by Kinako, G-Suit designs by Kenji Andou and Koji Nakakita, who also does mechanical designs, and series composition by Toshiya Ono.

For most of the residents of Tachikawa city, life seems to be perfectly normal. That’s how it seems, but the truth, known only by a tiny select handful, is that this is a city at war. Every day, as the citizens go about their business, they are under attack by alien criminals and mysterious monsters seeking to conquer, enslave and destroy. But to combat these threats, a covert council has secretly selected certain individuals to serve as protectors. Wearing special suits that amplify latent powers hitherto unsuspected, they blend into the crowds and shadows, waiting until the call is given to fight again. They could be anyone: your neighbor; your best friend’s mom; even high school students like Sugane Tachibana and recent college grad Joe Hibiki. And needless to say, schoolgirl artist Hajime Ichinose is probably the last person anyone would ever suspect of being a soldier entrusted with defending mankind. But she is, even if as the latest recruit she still has an awful lot of learning to do. Hiding like ninjas, powered by super-science, they are humanity’s first and greatest line of defense. They are the GATCHAMAN!

GATCHAMAN CROWDS will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

About Sentai Filmworks
Sentai Filmworks celebrates its 5th Anniversary as one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, producing hit series like Persona 4, Girls und Panzer, Devil Survivor 2, Bodacious Space Pirates, Majestic Prince and High School of the Dead as well as high profile theatrical films such as Grave of the Fireflies, K-ON! and Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks’ programs are distributed through Ingram Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, Section23Films and Waxworks through retailers Amazon, Best Buy, Fry’s, FYE, Hastings, Sam Goody, Suncoast, The Right Stuf, Wal-Mart and other good and fine stores. Digital product offerings may be found at Amazon, Anime Network, Crunchyroll, Google Play, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, PlayStation Network, Rovi, Samsung, Vudu, XBOX Marketplace and YouTube.

[quote=“Slowhand”]Sentai Filmworks is proud to present:
(video no longer exists)[/quote]

I see that TAN still hasn’t fixed the YouTube link issue :lol:

Sentai’s hype machine ought to turn it down a few notches as they can’t deliver on the hype. “Underpromise and Overdeliver” is a great motto, much better than the opposite (which is what Sentai is doing).

This reminds me of the episode of King of the Hill (specifically Season 2, ep 14) where Bobby lusts after a giant firecracker for the whole first half of the episode, finally gets it, sets it up & lights it…only to find out that it was a dud.

It’s a good thing that I’m not a gambler because this announcement was lamer than the last much-hyped Funimation announcement and I thought that the odds of such happening were lower than low. Tragic.

While it was kind of expected, since it goes well with their other Gatchaman license, this is kind of a big deal, since NTV seems to hold the international license.

Which would be Sentai’s first ever NTV series if they licensed it from them and not from Tatsunoko directly.

And if they did get it from NTV, that opens up the possibility for them getting a couple other series, such as Kaiji or Chihayafuru which are both also NTV series.

If they got it from Tatsunoko directly, it makes me even more curious if they’re going to get Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ for this coming Fall season, along with the OVAs.

[quote=“TheCoffeeGod”]While it was kind of expected, since it goes well with their other Gatchaman license, this is kind of a big deal, since NTV seems to hold the international license.

Which would be Sentai’s first ever NTV series if they licensed it from them and not from Tatsunoko directly.

And if they did get it from NTV, that opens up the possibility for them getting a couple other series, such as Kaiji or Chihayafuru which are both also NTV series.

If they got it from Tatsunoko directly, it makes me even more curious if they’re going to get Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ for this coming Fall season, along with the OVAs.[/quote]

That’s a technical aspect that I didn’t consider, so thanks for pointing that out, but so far as the other NTV titles you listed go (and, even looking at the series with which NTV had real involvement per ANN), they’re just as “meh” to me as was Sentai’s announcement when I took it at just “face value”. If “meh” could be quantified then I would say that NTV is “more meh” than the “meh” Tatsunoko announcement was.

I’m trying to get on board the excitement train for this potential Chihayafuru license but a stereotypical “sports” anime about playing some wonky card game just doesn’t work for me. It’s Bamboo Blade with a more abstruse (and less violent) subject matter and without the comedy; it’s Initial D without the interesting characters and subject matter. Yawn.

Maybe a Sentai dub will elevate it out of the mediocrity that I currently place it in but I’m not holding my breath for that.

I’m trying to get on board the excitement train for this potential Chihayafuru license but a stereotypical “sports” anime about playing some wonky card game just doesn’t work for me. It’s Bamboo Blade with a more abstruse (and less violent) subject matter and without the comedy; it’s Initial D without the interesting characters and subject matter. Yawn.[/quote]

I haven’t seen it personally, so I can’t comment on whether it deserves the hype or not.
All I know is, it seems to have a lot of hype for the type of show it is and has been one of the more requested license acquisitions over the past couple years.