Sailor Moon / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon

I don’t know if I should be happy or sad that Sailor Moon is coming out again… They really didn’t finish the story the first time. They only show piece of the future, but they never got there.

Nothing changed really, what would be different if he never said anything? Nothing! We already knew Funimation most likely would be taking it down for Japan.

It seems that ANN may have looked into getting streaming rights for the show. Justin Sevakis made some comments that he learned “firsthand” that Sailor Moon had some significant hold up in Japan and wasn’t coming back to the US anytime soon. He specifically told people to “abandon all hope”.

He was right about Utena in that it was difficult and unlikely, but not impossible. Right Stuf did put a lot of work into getting that one, so I could see him being right about this. I don’t think Sailor Moon is entirely impossible right now, but I still think it’s quite unlikely.

I think it’s more possible then it was a year ago because of the fact that you have the show licensed in other countries in recent months. Means not a lot here but that means license problems at least a bit loosened then it was. Maybe Toei still has some worries but I don’t know when ANN tried to get at least streaming rights. You think they would at least let them stream it but again the rights had been really tied up in Japan but that was before the show started airing again in other countries. By the way since writing above I went looked on the boards someone saying that ANN a couple of weeks ago but I like to know from who he heard from. When did he hear it. Nothing against the guy.
On another don’t think funimation doesn’t get the message when they did the online poll and found how many people vote for it. Adam from Funimation mentioned at Anime Next 2009 panel that they did it as joke and they were surprised how well it did in it. To me it is a dream that Funimation picks it up but I don’t think will come true. I hope I am wrong but same time I try not get my hopes up. I had glimmer of hope when funimation said before aexpo they had most requested license but they did license other request stuff.

Unlike here the other countries originally got a more full and uncut release of the show. Also unlike here it can be put back on TV a lot easier in other countries. Unfortunately there is not many if any TV options here. I really have a feeling Toei wants someone who can put the show on TV so they can sell merchandise rights to someone. Which is really unrealistic since most of the fans of the show are either in it for the nostalgia or just want it uncut and complete. Not really sure Sailor Moon could get a new generation of fans if it was put on TV again here so don’t think it could support a Toy line or merchandise push. So I think once again Toei is going to be the one that damns it here. :frowning: .

Yeah, I have to agree. If you look at the countries it’s been picked back up in, they’ve all come with TV deals ready to go, not to mention toy licenses. That’s fairly unlikely here.

I never said it was total sign but the other countries were sign that maybe some of the problems (that started with toei pulling the license) was not around anymore. You are probably right and understand that I know it’s unlikely to come. It’s more like dream at this point and hope comes true.

Moon Chase website has a new survey, apparently the last one they’ll ever do! And it’s all based around TV airings and new dub.

Its odd that a survey is being done.

It’s not that odd. This site has been doing polls and letter writings for a while. This isn’t even the first they’ve done about a new dub or TV airing.

I’m wondering along the lines of is their a cheap enough way to license the show , plus dub 200 episodes , and still make money? My common sense says “**** NO”.

The answer to would it sell would be to see what the bootleg market is. The show has been heavily bootlegged and they apparently still sell, although I haven’t looked in a while to see what people are offering. I think if it were priced reasonable and sold in sets, it would probably do okay, but it won’t set the world on fire or anything.

I can’t even sell anime DVDs for $5 including tax this year, I think I’ve sold one or two… after June ended the market died for most everything, the last couple swaps I set up at I did miserably at.

of course there’s a cheap enough way: just use 1 to 3 very “talented” va’s to play all the roles, dub it in someone’s basement instead of a recording studio, and feed them pb and j and bottle of tap water for refreshment and viola…instead, cheapo dub = mucho profits.

[quote=dragonrider_cody]

Even DBZ isn’t selling as well as DBZ used to. :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the biggest problems with anime right now, is that there aren’t places left that stock it in decent quantities. Sailor Moon might make some head way, but by the time it would come out, the retail situation is going to be much worse for anime.

I do think it could well enough, but it’s really hard to say in the market today. Even shows that look like sure fire hits can fail, and Sailor Moon wasn’t especially successful the first time around. It was certainly nothing compared to Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Digimon, or other shows that aired on TV in the same time frame.[/quote]

Not according to Navarre…
http://ir.navarre.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105157&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1454897&highlight=

We’ve known from before Navarre likes to sometimes blow hot air to make themselves look better so I don’t think we can fully trust their reports… I believe it’s more the money from merchandise rights making the money for Dragon Ball Z then the show now. Kai certainly is not bringing the thunder and lightning combo the Z brought with it when it finally hit a good stride. Z from what I remember took a few years to really make a mainstream splash. Only reason it became more popular then Sailor Moon is guys were to embarrassed to buy the Sailor Moon videos and toys even though the secretly watched it everyday afterschool. :laugh:

I never said Dragon Ball wasn’t selling anymore. I said it wasn’t selling like it use to. No DVD releases are.

This is the last week to take the http://moon-chase.blogspot.com/2010/08/operation-moonrise-phase-5-ending-soon.html!

And no one cares… But “someone” is in talks for the magna, so there is a good chance we will see that again in relatively near future. However, that has nothing to do with the anime as the rights are held by two different companies. But at least it’s something.

:frowning:

A lot has been going on the past few days.

Source: Toei Animation Europe

The Sailor Moon series will be launched March 7 on Portuguese pay TV channel Canal Panda, part of Dreamia group.

It will be broadcasted daily at 1 PM and 8:30 PM on week days, and 1 PM and 9:00 PM on weekends.

Dreamia also acquired the pay TV rights to the 5 seasons of Sailor Moon in Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, São Tomé & Príncipe and Cape Verde.

Source: http://www.pluslicens.se/index.php/site/news/plus_licens_and_sailor_moon_once_again_join_forces1/sailor_moon_text"

One of the most famous anime properties of all time, a true classic and a pioneer in the definite breakthrough of Japanese anime throughout Europe in the first half of 1990s. Plus Licens is proud to once again represent the legendary Sailor Moon, making a full-scale comeback with a brand new styleguide!

• We’re happy to once again work with this Japanese classic, says Maria Ornryd, Category Head Media at Plus Licens HQ. - Sailor Moon was the very first Japanese property in Plus Licens’ portfolio back in the mid-1990s and we are proud to again work with the series, for merchandising and publishing - excluding the original manga - as well as television and DVD rights throughout our territories. We’re confident that the new styleguide, fully reflecting the timeless qualities of Sailor Moon, will appeal to the audience that already knows the property as well as help gaining new generations of fans.

Says Kanji Kazahaya, Managing Director of Toei Animation Europe: - We are thrilled to conclude this deal and to have Plus Licens again as the licensing partner for Sailor Moon. We are looking forward to the re-launch of classic Japanese animated series such as Sailor Moon in these key territories.

Oh, here is a pic of some preliminary ideas…

Fortunately, they moved away from that idea…