Sailor Moon / Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon

On the video not sure if I should laugh or cry about the morons view of copyright.

On Sailor Moon I would love to see an uncut dub. Not sure if the market would be able to support it. There would be nostalgic sales but doubt that would be enough to make a profit.

Even DBZ isn’t selling as well as DBZ used to. :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the biggest problems with anime right now, is that there aren’t places left that stock it in decent quantities. Sailor Moon might make some head way, but by the time it would come out, the retail situation is going to be much worse for anime.

I do think it could well enough, but it’s really hard to say in the market today. Even shows that look like sure fire hits can fail, and Sailor Moon wasn’t especially successful the first time around. It was certainly nothing compared to Dragon Ball, Pokémon, Digimon, or other shows that aired on TV in the same time frame.

Sailor Moon it’s very first time around when it was airing on UPN , what ever the channel WB was before it was WB , and USA network it was largely a flop. It was not until CN/Toonami got it that it became big. They originally only acquired the 65 episodes Dic dubbed , then the show became a huge hit for them and they acquired the rest (R , S , and SS) from Toei’s international branch Cloverway. Of course Toei would never let anyone license Stars here. Toei has always been odd about its image here and it really screwed things over in the end. Also their fear of reverse importation really screwed things over.

If you’re talking before 1995, then they were independent TV stations. The WB and UPN launched within a week of each other in early January 1995 and lasted 11 1/2 years before shutting down in September 2006.

Everything you want to know about Sailor Moon in America.

Yeah, Sailor Moon never aired on a broadcast network. It was just a coincidence that most of the channels that aired it happen to be UPN and WB affiliates. Here in Pittsburgh, it aired on a UPN channel first thing in the morning. Of course, that was before those d*cks at Time Warner paid Sinclair to switch all their UPN stations to the WB and robbed me of four seasons of Star Trek Voyager… :angry:

Been following Sailor Moon in other forums man it’s like a war. People saying they won’t buy if it’s sub only , people saying they won’t buy if it does not have the old dub to ,people get their heads stuck up their butt’s , etc.etc…

I wonder if Toei even kept the masters for the old dub. It’s one of those 90’s cut dubs that voice acting was good but the scripting , editing , cutting , and rewriting really made it cheesy as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev5Huk1buQs .

Very nice! Honestly, if I were going to release the show, I would release both versions. I would redub and release an uncut version, and later release a “Classic Edition” with the original TV dub. I’m willing to bet that there are some people that would pick up both versions, even if just for nostalgia.

If they still have access to the original dub that everyone knows, I say they should use it.

I have a feeling they only dubbed the edited version, that could be why it needs a new dub. The omission of 6 episodes and the merging of two, the total episode count was reduced to 65 from the first 72 episodes licensed. I really don’t know anything other then they edited the TV version bigtime.

It’s a shame people just don’t buy shows for their content anymore. “It has to be this or it has to be that”.

:laugh: Pup! I remember seeing that episode, woke up the whole house I was laughing so hard.

Did you notice a pic of Usagi in one of Funi’s Hentalia videos?

They did. That was the whole point. They could easily release both versions, if they decided to redub it. If they want to release it bilingual and uncut, they would have to redub it.

Of course, this is all assuming Toei doesn’t still have their heads up their asses about how they want it released.

This was already discussed on other forums. She just happens to be a huge Sailor Moon fan, so it’s very likely it was just a coincidence. Apparently, this taken near hear desk and she has it decorated with a lot of Sailor Moon items.

I am probably the only one that would be happier if Rightstuf/Nozomi got this over Funimation. I’d rather have good packaging then a new dub. This is all assuming Toei is not wanting a arm and a leg plus someone to license the Live Action show.

Yeah ,but as Cody said the Sailor Moon stuff on her wall was discussed before she is a fan.

I wouldn’t mind Right Stuf getting it either, as I think they would likely do a better job with the overall release than anyone else in R1 right now. But honestly, I really can’t see them spending that kind of money.

Personally, with Funimation’s shoddy casting in so many of their shows, I really can’t look forward to any dub they would give it. There is a good chance it would be better than the original, but that really doesn’t take much.

I just looked at Otakon’s events schedule.

The World of Sailor Moon. Countdown to 20 years panel.
http://www.otakon.com/events_schedule_detail.asp?eventID=11&id=1258

Friday, July 30, 2010
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM

Update from Supersimsboy :angry: This makes me mad.

What an idiot.