Squid Girl / Shinryaku! Ika Musume

Official JP Website
ANN Info Page

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: beach, Lolita, ocean
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2010-10-04 to 2010-12-20
Objectionable content: None
Plot Summary: Squid Girl has come to the land from the depths of the sea to conquer humanity for its pollution of the ocean. Unfortunately she ruins the first house she uses as an invasion base and has to work to pay for repairs. Of course, she can’t overcome the Aizawa sisters who manage the house, so who knows whether she can subjugate humankind.

Squid Girl Season 2 / Shinryaku!? Ika Musume

ANN Info Page

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: Beach café
Number of episodes: 12
Vintage: 2011-09-26 to 2011-12-26
Objectionable content: None
Plot Summary: The nefarious Squid Girl is back to continue her self-appointed mission to invade the surface world. Or that’s what she would do, if she could just stop getting distracted by squidding movies, reading squidly manga, and making friends as only a squid could make them. Squid Girl must overcome not only danger found at every turn, but her own squidly good nature as well.

Squid Girl (OAV) Vintage: 2012-08-08

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-14/media-blasters-licenses-squid-girl-on-dvd
[size=20]Media Blasters Licenses Squid Girl on DVD[/size]
posted on 2011-06-14 09:40 EDT
Comedy anime’s September DVD release includes English dub

CEO John Sirabella of the North American anime distributor Media Blasters confirmed with ANN that his company has acquired the license to the television anime series Squid Girl (Shinryaku! Ika Musume). The company will release the first six episodes of Squid Girl on DVD on September 27. The release will include English-dubbed and -subtitled tracks and have a suggested retail price (SRP) of US$24.99. The solicitations also describe the release as “loaded with extras.”

The anime adapts Masahiro Anbe’s comedy manga about a squid girl who vows to invade the beaches of mankind since humans have polluted the seas. However, her invasion is less than successful, and she ends up on dry land. The first season premiered last October, and the media-distribution website Crunchyroll streamed the anime outside Japan as it aired. The upcoming second season is called Shinryaku!? Ika Musume.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-24/2nd-ika-musume/squid-girl-season-title-staff-listed
[size=20]2nd Ika Musume/Squid Girl Season’s Title, Staff Listed[/size]
posted on 2011-05-24 21:53 EDT

This year’s 25th issue of Akita Shoten’s Weekly Shonen Champion magazine is revealing on Thursday that the second season of the Squid Girl (Shinryaku! Ika Musume) television anime series will have the title Shinryaku!? Ika Musume.

In addition, the Weekly Shonen Champion issue reports that Tsutomu Mizushima, the director of the first season, will now serve as the “general director” (sokantoku) for the new season. Valkyria Chronicles director Yasutaka Yamamoto will actually direct the new season. The first season’s character designer Masakazu Ishikawa and series script supervisor Michiko Yokote will reprise their respective roles for the second season. Animation studio Diomedea will once again handle the animation for the series.

The anime adapts Masahiro Anbe’s Shinryaku! Ika Musume (The Invader Came From the Bottom of the Sea!) comedy manga about a squid girl who vows to invade the beaches of mankind since humans have polluted the seas. However, her invasion is less than successful, and she ends up on dry land. The first season premiered last October, and the media-distribution website Crunchyroll streamed the anime outside Japan as it aired.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-21/ika-musume/squid-girl-music-video-preview-streamed
[size=20]Ika Musume/Squid Girl Music Video’s Preview Streamed[/size]
posted on 2011-06-21 14:00 EDT
"Ika Ice Tabena-ika?" CD single to ship on July 6 with music video DVD

Bandai’s Lantis label began streaming a 108-second preview of the music video for the third Shinryaku! Ika Musume/Squid Girl single on the YouTube website on Monday. The CD for the “Ika Ice Tabena-ika?” song goes on sale in Japan on July 6. The limited edition of the single will bundle the music video on a DVD.

The second television anime season based on Masahiro Anbe’s Shinryaku! Ika Musume (The Invader Came From the Bottom of the Sea!) comedy manga is in the works. The story follows a squid girl who vows to invade the beaches of mankind since humans have polluted the seas. However, her invasion is less than successful, and she ends up on dry land. The first season premiered last October, and the media-distribution website Crunchyroll streamed the anime outside Japan as it aired.

I’m a huge Squid Girl fan. I already have my copy pre-ordered!

I’ve considered either getting the singles or the complete box once they release it. I’m sort of split on which to go after, but I’m leaning more towards the singles, and will probibly get them as soon as I have my budget in check. :wink:
I really liked Squid Girl, and look forward to it’s release! :3 And the second season, of course. :lol:

Update: I have reserved the first box at my local Suncoast. ^-^

My brother is a pretty big fan of Squid Girl so I won’t have to buy this myself.

It says the DVDs are loaded with extras, wouldn’t a cool one by a mini-Squid Girl plushie.

Kind of expected, but here’s confirmation.

http://www.facebook.com/DeathThroughTrance/posts/148201688596426

MB

[quote]
Bang Zoom[/quote]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-23/ika-musume/squid-girl-sequel-to-debut-on-september-26
[size=20]Ika Musume/Squid Girl Sequel to Debut on September 26[/size]
posted on 2011-08-23 23:43 EDT

The second season of the Squid Girl (Shinryaku!? Ika Musume) comedy anime will premiere in Japan on September 26. Akita Shoten’s Weekly Shonen Champion magazine, which serializes Masahiro Anbe’s original Shinryaku! Ika Musume manga, is making the announcement with the publication of the 200th manga chapter in this year’s 39th issue on Thursday.

In May, Shonen Champion revealed the sequel’s title along with major staff credits.

Media Blasters acquired North American DVD distribution rights for the first season of the anime, and the DVD release will ship on September 27.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-10/squid-girl-english-cast-revealed-by-media-blasters
[size=20]Squid Girl’s English Cast Revealed by Media Blasters[/size]
posted on 2011-09-10 00:00 EDT
1st DVD set ships in North America on September 27

Media Blasters announced the English dub voice actors for the comedy anime Squid Girl (Shinryaku! Ika Musume) for Friday.

The cast and staff listings are as follows:
• Christine Marie Cabanos as Squid Girl
• Heather Pennington as Eiko
• Jason Wishnov as Goro
• Amanda C. Miller as Takeru
• Shelby Lindley as Chizuru
• Cristina Vee as Nagisa
• Xanthe Huynh as Sanae
• Laura Post as Cindy
• Sarah Williams as Ayumi
• Amanda Lee as Noh Mask Rider
• Tony Oliver as Father
• Lauren Landa as Announcer
• Jonathan Meza as Devil Squid
• Juicey Flannigan as Principal
• Erika Harlacher as Customer
• Matt Wolfrom as Customer
• Victor Sgroi as Customer
• Director/ADR Writer: Tony Oliver

Based on Masahiro Anbe’s manga, the anime follows the story of Squid Girl, who comes out of the sea to make humanity pay for polluting the ocean. However, two pushy girls force her to work at a restaurant to produce squid ink. Squid Girl must overcome the bossy waitresses before she can complete her goal of conquering humankind.

The first Squid Girl DVD set with episodes 1 through 6 will ship in North America on September 27, the day after season two of the television anime debuts in Japan.

Update: The Amanda Lee that is voicing Noh Mask Rider is a different person from Amanda Winn Lee.

[size=16]Sphere, Hisako Kanemoto Sing Squid Girl Sequel’s Themes[/size]
posted on 2011-09-17 10:20 EDT
Shinryaku!? Ika Musume comedy anime to premiere on September 26

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-19/ika-musume/squid-girl-sequel-invasion-warning-ad-posted
[size=20]Ika Musume/Squid Girl Sequel’s Invasion Warning Ad Posted[/size]
posted on 2011-09-19 12:00 EDT
Ad with Sphere song for 2nd comedy anime season premiering next Monday

The official blog of the anime studio Diomedea began streaming a 30-second “TV Tokyo invasion warning” commercial for Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, the second Squid Girl television anime season, on Monday. In the commercial, the title character announces her invasion, as the opening theme song “High Powered” by the voice actress group Sphere plays in the background.

Based on Masahiro Anbe’s manga, the anime follows the story of Squid Girl (Ika Musume), who comes out of the sea to make humanity pay for polluting the ocean. However, two pushy girls force her to work at a restaurant to produce squid ink. Squid Girl must overcome the bossy waitresses before she can complete her goal of conquering humankind.

The second season will premiere next Monday, September 26, with an ending theme sung by the voice of Squid Girl herself, Hisako Kanemoto.

The first season premiered last October, and Crunchyroll streamed that season into several countries as it aired in Japan. Media Blasters will ship the first season on DVD in North America on September 27.

Looks like Squid Girl is the first to leak in CR’s Fall lineup.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3278/crsgl.jpg

It’s official.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-734975/new-fall-titles-squid-girl

[quote]Whats up all,

Get ready. Get hyped! After a fantastic summer season, the fall season looks to continue that momentum with an early start on the simulcast showcase!

We’re going to kick things off with the return of Squid Girl!
The new season will kick off tonight Monday 9/26 at 12:30 am PST and will be available in the same countries as the first season.

"With the environment ever deteriorating on a global scale, rage of those who suffer the most is about to erupt.
Take this girl, for example. She is hell-bent on annihilating the mankind before her species is wiped off the surface of the earth, or, to be precise, off the bottom of the ocean.

As she sets out on her vengeful journey, however, she becomes aware of certain limitations. She’s nothing but a squid out of water…"[/quote]

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-09-27/squid-girl-invades-namja-town-with-desserts-dishes
[size=20]Squid Girl Invades Namja-town with Desserts, Dishes[/size]
posted on 2011-09-27 18:45 EDT
Beach hut lemon parfait, fried shrimp tortilla, squid ink pasta, more offered

To mark the September 26 debut of Squid Girl Season 2, Tokyo’s Namco Namja Town will host a campaign that features seven desserts and entrees with Squid Girl themes from October 7 to November 13. Namja Town is a indoor theme park in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro ward. In addition to the new dishes, the park will host an exhibition featuring panels from each scene of the anime during the campaign.

The various food booths at Namja Town will offer the following dishes:

[details=Squid Girl’s Beach Hut Lemon Parfait]
[/details]

[details=Squid Girl’s Fried Shrimp Tortilla]
[/details]

[details=Squid Girl’s Shrimp Rice Cookie]
[/details]

[details=“Squid Girl’s Ice Cream de Geso!”]
[/details]

[details=“Ika-chan Please Eat This By Yourself.” (shrimp made of chocolate with a shaved ice topping)]
[/details]

[details=Mini Squid Girl’s Inari-zushi Rice Balls (rice balls wrapped in fried tofu)]
[/details]

The amusement park will also sell a “Squid Girl Deluxe Squid Ink Pasta de Geso!” dish.

Namco is also offering Squid Girl special items between October 7 and November 30. The company will make available a limited-edition Squid Girl “long pillow,” two Squid Girl figures, and Squid Girl Umaibo (a puffed corn snack). The Umaibo snack will be bundled with a Squid Girl clear file.

Crunchyroll began its simulcast of Squid Girl Season 2 on Monday.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-11/2nd-squid-girl-tv-anime-goes-on-2-week-hiatus
[size=20]Shinryaku!? Ika Musume/Squid Girl 2 Goes on 2-Week Hiatus[/size]
posted on 2011-10-11 04:50 EDT
No new episodes on October 24, November 7

The official website of the second Squid Girl television anime series announced on Tuesday that the anime will not air new episodes on October 24 and November 7 “due to circumstances at the station” TV Tokyo in the Kanto area.

Update: More information and image added. Since TV Aichi and TV Osaka (the other two stations showing the anime) will start their broadcasts two weeks after TV Tokyo did, TV Tokyo’s hiatus will bring all three stations’ episode schedules in line.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000003028&Offset=0&ReturnTo=Archive

[size=20]Media Blasters Reschedules SQUID GIRL Part 2[/size]
Posted on: Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Media Blasters announced Squid Girl Part 2 will now street December 6, 2011. This change has been noted in our system and will be automatically reflected in customer orders.

Hopefully they are delaying it to fix the god-awful cases. I’d like set two to not be all scratched to hell.

[size=16]http://www.rightstuf.com/i/awbd1207[/size]

Looks like the Season 1 BD Collection has been solicited.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
http://www.rightstuf.com/i/awbd1207

Looks like the Season 1 BD Collection has been solicited.[/quote]

Glad the crappy DVD case problem made me wait now.

All I need is a Media Blasters sale that includes pre-orders or a good Amazon deal.

[size=20]Media Blasters Acquires Second Season Of ‘Squid Girl’ Anime[/size]
posted on March 19, 2012

While things have been a bit on the gloom and doom side from Media Blasters this year, there are some rays of sunshine to hold out hope for. Over the weekend, someone asked on the Media Blasters Facebook page about whether they were going to pursue season two of Squid Girl, since the first season was released completely. The response came back fairly quickly from the company rep on the page by stating that they do indeed have it planned, marking the first news that the second season of the series has indeed been picked up for release.

Plot concept: Foolish land-born air breathers! Behold the terror from the depths, the tentacled conqueror of humanity: Squid Girl! With your pollution and stuff you really deserve it, so prepare for menacing, inky doom!

Squid Girl has come from the depths of the sea to conquer humanity for its pollution of the ocean. Within moments of arriving on the surface world, our easily distracted little invertebrate is promptly bullied into working for the Aizawa sisters as a waitress, supplying their restaurant with squid ink. If poor Squid Girl can’t handle two pushy Japanese girls, how will she ever subjugate the human race?

Hopefully this will be a dubbed release. After all, Tony Oliver and Bang/Zoom make “the best dubs because [they] are the only studio to employ real actors like Kari Wahlgren.”

Nope, it never gets old :wink: I really wish I could have known that line was coming as so I could have recorded it. Not surprisingly I watched the sub of this :frowning:

I’m glad that MB isn’t yet dead as they’ve released some good shows over the years. Not a lot of good dubs, but I guess I can forgive them that as they’re about the only studio to use the East Coast VAs for something besides kids’ shows. If I ever get into Bakuman (I hear it is good, but the first ep was so terribly bad) then this gives me hope that the 2nd set of episodes might see R1 dubbed release.