The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit

Man that’s quick!
Looks like the first release of the first movie will be out in March.
That’s only like 3 months after the theater premiere.

[size=16]Availible 3/19/13[/size]

I’ll just wait for the Extended Edition with the extra hour of new scenes.

That’s right folks…that’ll be 3 hours and 30 mins. of little people running around kicking @ss

:lol:

I feel like I made the right choice in skipping this in theaters to wait for the BD. The local theatres are just too blurry for me, and I don’t have to worry about finding a 2d showing of a film when I watch it on my own devices.

I thought some of those chase scenes were drawn out entirely to long and I do realize this is a fantasy and all but there is no way that all of the company could have survived all of that. Like I said before I know this is not supposed to be taken seriously and it is silly of me to call it unplausible but it just annoys me.

I mean no one falls down into a trench and survives not even a hobbit

[size=16]The Hobbit Movie Facebook Page[/size]

Looks like The Hobbit HD Digital Download starts today ahead of the BD release!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151626211191558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1

[quote]Peter Jackson

Back on set for our last Hobbit pick ups. Our last ever Tolkien pick ups, in fact. It’s going to be an intense few weeks, but we’re looking forward to shooting some powerful scenes with our great cast. Our next blog is coming soon![/quote]

WooHoo!

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Official Teaser Trailer[/size]

And here’s the DoS poster!

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Production Diary 11[/size]

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Official Main Trailer[/size]

170 minutes to get to the eagles taking them to mirkwood in the movie
40 minutes in the animated version

the live action of LotR was miles better than the 2 animated films for the 3 books.

after having watched them both back to back since they came on TV last week… i think AUJ is excessively long for no reason. while it had many of the favored songs of old, and SOME of the added parts were good, many wer jsut dumber and more childish than the animated version.

“Look what’s come out of me 'ooter!”

everyone that would watch the movie likely already knows the story and is waiting for it to happen. Goblin King too silly, the number of times Gandalf says RUN is more than Jenny says to Forrest! the fight scenes arent even fight scenes. the dwarves look pathetic especially Gimli’s father Gloim. Fili took over Legolas’ place as archer… ughhh…

this could have been done better and that has nothing to do with framerate. the dwarves singing in Bag End couldn’t be heard over the music. When will movies realize that screamo is no good. if you are going to have a song, let the words be heard. people wanting to hear only the music can buy the instrumental version later.

the youngest dwarf was more mature than Fili and [strike]Ieolas[/strike] Kili.

so far it fails 1/3 for the story for me, as while the music is too loud on the DVD for the animated version as well, i still like the story better, and the triple set of Hobbit movies will jsut make LotR seem extremely short for it being 1 book to 3.

i do like Arthur Dent as Bilbo though. He just didn’t listen when he was told to always remember his [strike]towel[/strike] handkerchief, guess it is about time for him to panic!

Only 38 more days!

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Sneak Peek[/size]

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Production Diary 12[/size]

Peter Jackson’s Facebook Page

[quote]Peter Jackson

Inside Information…

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo’s own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we’ve gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the “Desolation of Smaug”.

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.

And so: “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies” it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

It’ll be a fun year![/quote]

[size=16]The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies[/size]
Poster from SDCC

WooHoo!

[size=17]The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Official Teaser Trailer
[/size]

There was no point in Desolation of Smaug to exist. The whole thing was padding and a disgrace to the book.

I saw about 10 minutes of the nearly 3 hours that were actually part of the story that I recall:

Gandalf leaves them
the spiders and stings naming
trapped by elves and barrel riding
dwarves being welcomed in Laketown
the secret door

I have long said that DragonLance was a complete rip-off of Lord of the Rings, but the Hobbit movies should not be. They are 4 different books and the Hobbit is a different story that is continued with the Lord of the Rings.

Journey includes Frodo for no real reason just to connect to the first set of films and adds too much. Desolation then has Frodo being stabbed by a Morgol blade for Arwyn to save him. Wait, I mean Kili and Tauriel. Who is she? Oh just someone the writers created to give the story a women because it was an all male story before so that women could enjoy it. You know since the Hobbit, like Lord of the Rings were written as children’s books, we must make it so women like them, and until this character was added no woman has liked either Hobbit or LotR in its near century of existence. :huh:

Legoals… he doesn’t exist as any person really in the story but has about as many scenes and probably more lines than Gandalf! Sur he is Thandruiel’s son and a member of the army, but that doesn’t mean he should be speaking and doing all this other nonsense. Just another place where adding Lotr to the Hobbit movies, just because.

It really seems that all they are trying to so with the Hobbit is rewrite LotR with the parts from the Hobbit.

Sure you have two large groups on a journey to a mountain, but it is the journey that is the difference between than and putting the orcs in as the Uruk-hai to chase the group, as well as everything else, this whole set of movies is just an abomination and an attempt to make LotR 2, down to the trilogy aspect.

I hope the idiots involved form Jackson to Del Toro (maybe he quit because the story was being changed too much but still wants his name attached to this crap) and everyone else who had a hand in writing this, never work on any sort of story ever again except for their own memoirs which they will likely embellish greatly and change things from reality to their delusion worlds they line in anyway!

Battle of Five Armies has only one place to go, to be a lengthy copy of the the battle of Helms Depp. Where Rankin/Bass failed at making LotR by condescending it to 2 movies that were poorly done for the sake of making it loos less humorous and childlike than the Hobbit but dark; Jackson’s Hobbit goes the other way and makes it too long and stupid with unneeded things that really don’t help tell the story, but provide filler to keep people in theaters longer, and to give more movies to get people BACK into the theater seats a second and third time where it wasn’t needed.

Complete and utter crap that Hollywood is known for. Take something good and bastardize it for sensationalism or because some new writer thinks they can tell the story better. LotR and Harry Potter were pretty faithful, while both were at the root bad stories as shown in the HISHE video comics, where the eagles could have flown the ring to Mount Doom and dropped it from above and saved 3 books worth of time, and Snape could have gone back in time and killed Tom Riddle when he first met Dumbledore, and fixed the problems before they really began. There are just no good writers anymore, or people jsut enjoy crap and garbage. The only decent writing left seems to be for “chick flicks”.

:angry:

From the first 2 Hobbit movies I did get the impression that I watching a movie made for children. Its light-hearted nature and comical combat (which mainly consists of non-humans being dispatched) reminds me of The Clone Wars, which was definitely for kids, only with live action.

I thought that that criticism was given tongue-in-cheek as I seem to recall that the books mentioned that the eagles couldn’t be motivated to do that (in The Hobbit, weren’t they afraid to fly Dwarf Vegeta and his posse any further than they did?) and even if they had been then they would have been hopelessly corrupted by the One Ring.

I agree. I have bad memories of seeing Return of the King in theaters when Jackson did multiple “fade to black” endings. That’s why I’ve been waiting for the blurays to go <$20 so I can watch 'em at home, in multiple sittings. I don’t have a 21:9 display or a 3d display though, but it is good enough.

Though in fairness, the same thing could be said about the books as they were packed with unnecessary details about their unnecessarily long “sub-journeys” within the main journey (and the superfluous stuff that had to be discussed in-depth before those journeys started, like the Eleventy Eleventh Birthday) and Tolkien’s ramblings about his fictional languages; Lord of the Rings could have been one book, maybe 2.

Aaand clone Wars sucked a a movie and a story, just a lot of here is these people and filler to get to the point of who the Emperor was and that he was the Sith lord…

Crap story…

Like Gandalf, the Eagles, Ents etc had their own views and this was the fight of man and dwarves. It wasn’t fear, else the Eagles wouldn’t have rescued the company from the urning forest where the GOBLINS and wargs had them up in trees. The past wars made the races pretty much keep to themselves and that was a point of the Hobbit in part to tell this with Bilbo meeting everyone in their own little pocket areas.

They could have flown Bilbo or Frodo there and just dropped him. They had no love for Hobbits, only aided Gandlf for the things he had done for them as part of his job.

LotR was about the language, a story to show he could make one. Then Hobbit was made for his kids, since LotR might be stretching it a bit with going full in and needed something to describe the world before the main thing where these people appear and use this “fake” language.

If you watch the Rankin/Bass versino of two movies LotR, you will see it needs 3. It was an epic journey so needed more space to tell it and get you drawn into the world. It worked because her we are talking about it, not Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne, etc.

Perhaps Gandalf could have used some of his magic to expedite the journey. Ganfalf treats his party members like the Federation treats per warp civilizations in Star Trek: he could make all of their problems go away in the blink of an eye but he won’t, because they need to reinvent the wheel and learn to fix then problem themselves.

If I were Dwarven Vegeta or one of his party then I’d demand to see proof of his magic as they never definitively saw it. All Gandalf does is speak in riddles, give wry smiles and disappear when the group needs him most. Fellowship of the Ring opened with Gandalf showing off his powers but in The Hobbit he only used them when no one is looking. Maybe that’s why he sucks with them: he’s rusty lol :wink: