The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 2h 58min
Vintage: December 19, 2001
Plot Summary: A meek Hobbit and eight companions set out on a journey to destroy the One Ring and the Dark Lord Sauron.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Running Time: 2h 59min
Vintage: December 18, 2002
Plot Summary: While Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mordor with the help of the shifty Gollum, the divided fellowship makes a stand against Sauronā€™s new ally, Saruman, and his hordes of Isengard.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Running Time: 3h 21min
Vintage: December 17, 2003
Plot Summary: Gandalf and Aragorn lead the World of Men against Sauronā€™s army to draw his gaze from Frodo and Sam as they approach Mount Doom with the One Ring.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy
Running Time: 2h 49min
Vintage: December 14, 2012
Plot Summary: A reluctant hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of dwarves to reclaim their mountain home - and the gold within it - from the dragon Smaug.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Running Time: 2h 41min
Vintage: December 13, 2013
Plot Summary: The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland, from Smaug. Bilbo Baggins is in possession of a mysterious and magical ring.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Running Time: 2h 24min
Vintage: December 17, 2014
Plot Summary: Bilbo and Company are forced to engage in a war against an array of combatants and keep the Lonely Mountain from falling into the hands of a rising darkness.

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

[size=16]ā€˜Hobbitā€™ Films Get Titles, Release Dates[/size]
May 30, 2011 at 02:14 PM

You beat me to it!!!
I was going to make a thread later today.

And while weā€™re at itā€¦
I was going to post these as well.

Why are Frodo, Legolas, and others from LotR in this movie? Itā€™s been a while since I read The Hobbit, but Iā€™m pretty sure they did not exist. The synopsis for the movie even claims that the setting is 60 years prior to the Lord of the Rings series.

I also heard a rumor that David Tennant would be in the movie somehow, so Iā€™m a little disappointed to not see his name in the cast, but STEPHEN FRY is a pleasant surprise.

[quote=Hentai]
Why are Frodo, Legolas, and others from LotR in this movie? Itā€™s been a while since I read The Hobbit, but Iā€™m pretty sure they did not exist. The synopsis for the movie even claims that the setting is 60 years prior to the Lord of the Rings series.[/quote]

Donā€™t know if itā€™s changed since it was first announced many years ago or not, but the way it was originally going to be was, one part covers The Hobbit the other part covers the time space between The Hobbit and LotR.
That was the original plan at least, and why there were two parts.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Donā€™t know if itā€™s changed since it was first announced many years ago or not, but the way it was originally going to be was, one part covers The Hobbit the other part covers the time space between The Hobbit and LotR.
That was the original plan at least, and why their were two parts.[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense. So I guess the order of release goes backwards in chronology, since ā€œThere and Back Againā€ is the alternative title of the actual book, and that is released last.

As far as I can tell the elven actors are likely reprising their elven roles for the battle of seven armies, with Saruman meeting with Gandalf to confront the Necromancer at his tower during the Mirkwood Arc of the story. Remember Legolas was the Prince of Mirkwood, and therefore the son to the Elf King whom the dwaves beseech. Frodo will likely be the narrator at somepoint for the ending. Also, Frodo was, at the time of the lord of the rings like 50 when he started his journey if I recall properly. I know bilbo was.so there was a thirty year gap between the start of the lord of the rings and when the actual journey started, I think, since frodo was the same age as bilbo was when he set out on his there an back again adventure. Gandalf went to Gondor to research the ring and was gone for years before he came to frodo its confusig for me but the old took was 140 years old I think and bilbo lived past that and it was on his eleventy first birthday that lord of the rings starts to takes place and frodo was in his tweens, meaning twentiesā€¦I am not entirely clear right now since I donā€™t have my LotR books with meā€¦

its a little convoluted but perhaps that is how it ends, is with Elijah wood finishing the story aor narrating the story as Bilbo had written.

Although I donā€™t know why they donā€™t have Gimli reprising his role simply as one of the dwarf soldiers from the Iron Hills

I have two main concerns.

1. I want Smaug to be truly impressive.
  2. Dwarves are not comedy relief and that goes double for Thorin Oakenshield.

[quote=ShawnMerrow]
I have two main concerns.

1. I want Smaug to be truly impressive.[/quote]

That one, is my main concern.
Not only visually, but vocally as well.

Thatā€™s one of the things I loved most (besides the soundtrack) about the Rankin & Bass version of The Hobbit.
Smaug, as voiced by Richard Boone was just so impressive to hear.

http://www.fandompost.com/2011/06/23/new-photos-from-the-hobbit/

Posted by Chris Beveridge
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 at 05:25 PM

Since it hasnā€™t been posted yetā€¦

First look at the Dwarves.

[quote]JED BROPHY as Nori, ADAM BROWN as Ori and MARK HADLOW as Dori in New Line Cinemaā€™s and MGMā€™s fantasy adventure THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, a Warner Bros. Pictures release. Photo by James Fisher.

DORI, NORI & ORI
These three brothers, all sons of the same mother, could not be more different from each other. Dori, the oldest, spends much of his time watching out for Ori, the youngest; making sure heā€™s not caught a chill or got himself killed by Wargs or Goblins. Nobody quite knows what Nori gets up to most of the time, except that itā€™s guaranteed to be dodgy and quite probably, illegal. Dori, Nori and Ori are intensely loyal to each other ā€“ and whilst they are perfectly happy fighting amongst themselves, woe-betide anyone who means harm to one of these brothers.[/quote]

Iā€™m really looking forward to this, as I enjoyed The Hobbit much more than LOTR. But Iā€™m a little leery of the 48FPS. I know it will make it look more realistic, but Iā€™m not sure this is a film I want to look super life-like. I prefer a little bit of that cinema magic.

The next set of Dwarves have been posted.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.217504371618509.50553.160617097307237#!/photo.php?fbid=219363088099304&set=a.217504371618509.50553.160617097307237&type=1&theater

[quote]JOHN CALLEN as Oin and PETER HAMBLETON as Gloin in New Line Cinemaā€™s and MGMā€™s fantasy adventure THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY, a Warner Bros. Pictures release. Photo by James Fisher.

OIN & GLOIN
Distant cousins of Thorin Oakenshield, these two doughty Northern Dwarves join the Company out of a sense of loyalty to their kin, and also because they have a substantial sum of money invested in the venture. Along with Bombur, Gloin is the only other married Dwarf in the Company (there being a shortage of female dwarves in general). His wife is an acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard. Gloin is the proud father of a young son, Gimli, who will go on to become part of the famous Fellowship of the Ring.[/quote]

Oh, and I just noticed this posted as well, on PJā€™s FB, which has all three dwarf pics.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=2001455c-fe15-47c0-9c93-321e454c7f80

[quote]Dean Oā€™Gorman as Fili and Aidan Turner as Kili in ā€œThe Hobbit: An Unexpected Journeyā€ (Photo by James Fisher)

Two of the youngest Dwarves, Fili and Kili have been born into the royal line of Durin and raised under the stern guardianship of their uncle, Thorin Oakensheild. Neither has ever travelled far, nor ever seen the fabled Dwarf City of Erebor. For both, the journey to the Lonely Mountain represents adventure and excitement. Skilled fighters, both brothers set off on their adventure armed with the invincible courage of youth, neither being able to imagine the fate which lies before them. [/quote]

Only 3 more to go!

quote Stephen Hunter as Bombur, James Nesbitt as Bofur and William Kircher as Bifur in New Line Cinemaā€™s and MGMā€™s fantasy adventure The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a Warner Bros. Pictures release.

While most of the Company of Thorin Oakensheild is related to the royal and noble line of Durin, Bofur, his brother Bombur and their cousin Bifur most definitely are ā€¦ not. Born and bred in the West, descendants of coal miners and iron workers, they have joined the Quest for the Lonely Mountain partly to seek their fortune and partly because they were told the beer was free.[/quote]

Oh man, they look bad asz

Guess itā€™s time to give the old paperback another go-aroundā€¦again.
Now to remember where I left itā€¦ :unsure:

Looks like theyā€™re going to have Thorin by himself (or with non-dwarven characters)

Next up isā€¦

###TIME Exclusive: First Look at Balin and Dwalin from ā€˜The Hobbitā€™ Movie
July 15, 2011

Is he the last Dwarf not pictured?

Cancel that. I decided to actually count.

Maybe the last ones will all be a one picture deal.

[quote=Funkgun]
Is he the last Dwarf not pictured?

Cancel that. I decided to actually count.

Maybe the last ones will all be a one picture deal.[/quote]

Yeah, heā€™s the last one.
And now that I think about it, logically, theyā€™d have to have him by himself and not with other non-dwarven characters, to keep the illusional aspect ratio of character size.

Funny you should mention the group shot though, various people have been Photoshopping the pics together as theyā€™ve been coming out.

Hereā€™s what it looks like thus far.