Legends of the Dark Kings: A Fist of the North Star Story / Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden: Ten no Haoh

Legends of the Dark King ~ A Fist of the North Star Story/Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden: Ten no Haoh

Genres: Action
Objectionable content: Intense
Plot Summary: This Fist of the North Star series focuses on the formation of an empire, specifically a hegemony, by an inheritor of the fist of the north star, Raoh. Accompanied by his two loyal comrades Souga and Reina, as well as a mysterious woman named Sakuya, Raoh will begin this journey of conquest while at the same time trying to prove his own way of thinking.
Number of episodes: 13
Vintage: 2008-10-02 to 2008-12-25

ANN Info Page

I own this. But I was told I need to watch the original Fist of the North Star before seeing this.

Well, I havenā€™t seen the original, and going by the first episode I just watched, Iā€™d say itā€™s pretty self-explanitory and doesnā€™t require any previous seires, though my opinion of that may change as it goes along.

I do have to say though, Iā€™m really liking the soundtrack thus far.
Though it does remind me of Klaus Badelt & Han Zimmerā€™s PotC soundtracks, which isnā€™t a bad thing, since I really enjoy them as well.

Not sure why you would since this story takes place before the original if I have been reading right.

Yeah, itā€™s prequel of sorts. So you should be able to watch this without seeing the original. And from what Iā€™ve been told, it may be better to have not seen FOTNS first. Apparently they made some changes to the character that some were not happy about.

I got FOTNS in a set with Neo-Tokyo cheap at the Best Buy 50% off sale in March. I think the two-pack only retailed for $14 or so. It shouldnā€™t be hard to find with a reasonable price. Considering itā€™s three parts each close to an hour itā€™s not a bad deal.

Bought and seen this. I enjoyed this very much. Though itā€™s suppose to take place in a post-apocalypic future, this had a more ancient times feel to it. More Conan/Kull than Mad Max/Deser Punk.

Watched the first episode on VOD tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah it was certainly no masterpiece, but it was enjoyable enough. Plus, big props for exploding people. Thatā€™s pretty kick ass!

Now that I have all the missed episodes up to date, I can finally get caught up.

Iā€™m up to Ep #11 on the VODā€¦

I donā€™t know who to be more mad at:
Reina for running off on her own and making Raoh come after her (and did he do that out of sense of duty or a sense of affection?)
Sounga for getting fatally wounded (now heā€™s gonna die in two months!);
Sakuya, for telling Reina that she loves Raoh, and then getting caught at going to see the Emperor (forgot his name)
Ryouga for getting hurt because heā€™s supposed to be stronger
The Emperor for being sneaky AND for using children as slavesā€¦
That Bluish/Purple Fairy guyā€¦ no, waitā€¦
Raoh, for letting that Bluish/Purple Fairy guy go, so that he could double back and attack his ā€˜Officeā€™

I like this anime a lot and I find myself caught up in it and rewinding it to look it over again to make sure that Iā€™ve seen everything correctly. I really didnā€™t think Iā€™d like it this much.

1 Like

yeah its a pretty kik @$$ seriesā€¦ just got done with ep 12 and cant wait for the final ep next weekā€¦

on a side noteā€¦ i havent seen the original and im following this along pretty wellā€¦ just thought i would throw that inā€¦

yoka

Hmm, the way this has been going it doesnā€™t seem like it can wrap up in just one more episode. This has been pretty good, overall.

theyā€™ll probably leave it a little open ended like most of the series i watchā€¦ but i think theyā€™ll wrap most of it upā€¦ i hope anyway

GO RAOH!!!

yoka

Each time I watch a show of this series, I get into a debate with myself over the power to rule, govern, and the founding of a true realm, kingdom, and empire.

Roah does indeed have the power to rule. Might does make policy. But, unless something changes and he does something smart, as soon as he dies from old age, his kingdom would fall like a ton of bricks with everyone fighting over the scraps. He does not know how to govern.

That seems like itā€™s kind of the point of the seriesā€¦ heā€™s not ultimately qualified to rule because as he gains more and more control he becomes obsessed with it and changes as a person. You could draw direct parallels to a lot of people in modern politics if you wanted (probably both in the US and Japan, and elsewhere too, at that).

Okā€¦ Iā€™m disappointed in how this endedā€¦

ā€¦or should I say in how this didnā€™t end?
Sakura dies by intervening in Raohā€™s and Southerā€™s battle by determining neither of them has what it takes to rule. Each are lacking something (ā€˜loveā€™ and ā€˜sorrowā€™) which I suppose Kenshiro has. So the two agree to disagree and make piece (this is how it was spelled in the subtitles - lol).
Souga (who I thought was dying) proclaims that heā€™s ā€œnot that easy to killā€ and knows that his sister is in love with Raoh. But thatā€™s ok, because I think he has something going on with Ryuga.
I thought the bluish/purple guy (whoā€™s name is Juda) was dead, but no, heā€™s alive and Souther took him away so they can scheme for another day.
Kenshiro, who we never got to really see, brought down Cassandra prison and broke Toki out. Andā€¦? And??? Well, yippee-ki-yay. The showā€™s over now. Big deal.
Is there a damn sequel??? :unsure:

1 Like

I agree with you, Slow. It was a little disappointing.

However, since Sakura made that statement, I assume we are left to guess that Kenshiro wins it all. But it would have been nice to know for sure.
And Slow - lol - loved your ā€œyippee-ki-yayā€!!

But for however it ended, I enjoyed the series as a whole much more than I thought I would. :slight_smile:

is kenshiro the hero from the first ā€œfist of the north starā€? im not sure what the hell that kinda ending wasā€¦ but it was overall an interesting series

yoka

Yes

I would say that ending is wide open for a sequel or follow-up series.

It already has that. The original ā€˜Fist of the North Starā€™ and ā€˜New Fist of the North Starā€™ plus the various ova/movies out in Japan.