UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie / Enban Oujo Valkyrie

“waiting for some sort of climax” … there’s a “would you like to rephrase that” moment given some of the content of this show.

I really couldn’t think of anything in depth to mention - episode 9 was enjoyable enough to watch if not overly remarkable. The focus of the plot seems to be that sometimes the closest of friendships are only proven by the tests of fighting between one another. It has me hooked enough to want to see how they work out the ghost storyline.

And for a dumb question… some years back TAN premiered a couple episodes of a Valkrie season 3 or 4 if I remember right. I think I watched one and what I remember is a replay of the same schtick - another princess from Vallhalla crashes a ship into a building on earth - but this time it’s their school and the whole thing takes place in the school setting. There was a “girl with glasses” character that I don’t see in this season. Just what was that?

That is Princess Pharm and part of Season 3, though season 3 is only 6 episodes long. I don’t believe Season 4 was ever shown on TAN though, it’s only 2 episodes long however.

And I predict Funi will cram all of season 3 and 4 on one disc, but they’ll make sure there’s enough room for their trailers - thus reducing the video quality of the eps., and jack up the price to $50-60.

Thus I have spoken…(arms outstretched to the heavens and cue holy music)

The main enjoyment of this show is comedy and the relationship between Valkyrie and Kazuto. If it makes you laugh it’s good. Throw the other characters in the mix with all their personality quirks and it’s even more fun to watch. This is a switch from the “destruction” anime. You have to laugh at the Cat Maids and the trouble Little Valkyrie gets into. Sadly they did not continue the series. I’d have liked to see more antics between Akina and Hydra. Akidra was an interesting twist in their relationship.

Nice first post! Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Funi has the rights to 8 episodes of this? Seems kind of silly. But I’d expect it would be a 2-DVD set with like 18 trailers on each disc.

Anyways, just watched episode 11. The old man with the crossword puzzle made me laugh out loud.

Finally finished Season 2. It was a mixed bag for me, some episodes good, while most had the typical Kaishaku problems of starting out strong then either meandering or pointless and just made for fan-service (ie. excuse to lengthen series or just have favorite characters/setting/world/etc available again in some form for series fans).

I think my main problem with S2 was the point of it, storywise just wasn’t as rewarding as Season 1 which was driven by the entire notion of the series, plus the relationship between Kazuto and Valkyrie have largely already materialized or resolved in Season 1. This felt like a watered down version without the more driven elements of S1. While there were a couple of moments that had me laughing, it didn’t seem as funny or as consistent as S1 either.

I will say I continue to be impressed by the wonderful art, animation and especially the super character designs. For a series of this age (unlike Monster at times ;)), it still looks really good.

Overall, it was decent, and as a fan of the first season it was worth seeing.

I haven’t read the reviews of s3/4 in a while, but is S3 and 4 more of the same? Is there more Laine? :smiley:

So no one watched Season 3/4 to have an opinion on it? :stuck_out_tongue:

I do believe, that was directed at me.

So, to answer your questions:

Yes, S3 & S4 are more of the same, with the addition of a few more characters.
Yes, there’s more Laine, much more, and many faces of Laine to boot!

Now all we need is Michael Bay make a live action movie with nothing but…well, you know…Michael Bay stuff - meteors, explosions, sexy women, more explosions, no plot…more sexy women in exploding meteors, and robots on an island of cloned robots.

Well you too you’re the resident UFO person! :smiley: I think Cody and PP also finished it.

Do you think S3/4 is more like S2 or more like S1?

Tonka, lol. :smiley: Isn’t that To Love Ru? The supposed Urusei + UFO Valkyrie jazzed up. (Can not wait to see TLR btw!)

S3 is kind of a mixture of S1/2, though probably closer to S2, while S4 is closer to S1, though only two episodes long.

I liked this show. I thought this series (well the little I’ve seen of it) was quite good for a fanservicey-comedy show. It was cute, funny, and the dub was good. But it’s nothing I’d want to buy though, not that good lol. I did enjoy watching it on VOD though. It’s not the deepest show ever, but hell the girls are cute so I aint complaining :stuck_out_tongue: . But this is one of those shows that built up a lot of hate for it. Not sure why lol…

Yeah, critics and fans who want to come off as iconoclasts tend to dislike fan-servicey, harems or manly man type shows.

From what I remember UFO got decent/avg. marks from the good reviewers.

I guess these titles still do really well for Sentai or ADV previously, due to the To Love Ru pick up.

I’m a total iconoclast though. I mean come on :stuck_out_tongue: . But even with all my hatred I don’t have enough for this series. It’s nothing impressive, groundbreaking or even deep, but its a fun series with cute girls and never disappointed me or anything. It’s not a train wreck, and it’s not annoying. And it has a heart… I’d rank it 6/10…

spoiler

I do enjoy being an Ironclast :stuck_out_tongue: . Really though I’m just so tired of this “group think” mentality that anime fans have. If it’s Ghibli it has to be a masterpiece, and saying anything bad about their films makes you crazy. FMA has to be the best anime ever, otherwise your the devil and kick puppies. This goes for ‘all dubs are bad’, and many other beliefs that get bandwagened around as well.
And seriously I watched “Princess Mononoke” three times and have no idea what the hell people are seeing in that movie. Every time I watch it I think “hey maybe this time I’ll notice that ‘thing’ that everyone else sees in it. Maybe I’ll at least understand why people like it.” But every time I feel like I just cut hours off of my lifespan. When I’m on my deathbed I’m ganna beg for those hours back, and the Ghibli fanatics better give me them too! It’s a terrible film riddled with plot holes, stale characters, and stupid ideas. Not to mention the characters’ actions follow no logic at all. That to me kills the film…but I digress…

Prede, you’re not the only one that doesn’t get Princess Mononoke. I watched it two or three times, and while I may not think it’s terrible, I just can’t get what people think it so great about. It seems just slightly above average to me, and then only because of the Ghibli animation itself. I think it is perhaps one of the most overrated anime films of all time.

And I have no problem admitting I like harem shows, even ones others don’t like. Maburaho is one of my favorite anime series, and that show certainly has it’s detractors online. I’m not a big fan service person, but that’s mainly because I get nothing out of it. But as long as it’s not completely over the top, I have no problem with it.

Dude, what’s not to get. At it’s basic, ‘Princess Mononoke’ is a boy meets girl movie, with a dash of pro-evironmentalism and talking animals thrown into it, ala Animal Farm or Charlotte’s Web. I for one enjoyed it along with other Ghibli films.

I get that. I think it was an okay movie. But some people talk about it, like it’s the second coming of Christ, and I just don’t get that. It seemed fairly average for a Ghibli movie to me, and seemed leagues behind some of their other films. I for one, think both Kiki’s Delivery Service and Whisper of The Heart are much better.

LOL, yes I got everything he said it was too. However I also don’t get why it’s talked about like “it’s the second coming of Christ” (although nice way of putting it lol). Personally anything with so many plot holes, boring one note characters, illogical characters who only act when the plot calls for it because the plot calls for it, and practacly resets by the end (and tells such a pointless story to begin with) is not a good film. In fact it’s a terrible one. It’s bad, even by Ghibli standards, which is pretty damn low. At these other films don’t have giant plot holes, or completely illogical characters. Not like their other films are any good either, but at least their not this bad.

And I’m sorry but the artwork looks terrible in this film. I despise their artsyle, and this has some of the worst looking stuff that came out of that studio to date. Yeah yeah, sure sure, they put a lot of work into it, but why waste so much time and money when the final product is this crappy looking? Also their stuff is WAYY to detailed, to the point of looking even worse, and just seems to be saying “nah nah, haha, we spent a lot of money on this” .

I picked up a UFO Ultramaiden Valkrie OVA Special “Bridal Training” … wondered where this fits in? It’s about 70 minutes and two OVAs according to the label, ADV issue, came in a wholesale lot I picked up that I got on eBay from a seller in Texas…