Vikings

###Vikings

IMDb Page

Wikipedia Page

[quote]Plot Summary - Vikings is a forthcoming historical fiction television series filmed in Ireland, created by Michael Hirst and produced for the American cable television channel History. The series is loosely based upon the reign of Viking King Ragnar Lothbrok. The show tells the tale of the epic and violent world of the mighty Norsemen who raided, traded and explored during medieval times. It follows the exploits of historical figure, Ragnar Lothbrok, and the gripping sagas of Ragnar’s Viking crew and his family as he struggles to become ‘king’ of both Denmark and a large part of modern day Sweden.

The show will tell tale the driven of young Viking warrior, Ragnar Lothbrok, who longs to explore civilizations across the waters. With the help of his jester friend Floki, they build a brand new generation of faster and sleeker ships. Earl Haraldson is the main advisary. A man of little vision, he suspects Ragnar’s ambitions and goes head to head with him in a struggle for supremacy and glory.(from Wiki)[/quote]

I’m really enjoying this show! It’s nice to see something different on TV, and learn a little something in the process.

Of course, you know…

They’ll get back from England and that Gabriel Byrne character will take everything from them and then send them back for more stuff.

Of course he will!!!

Now that there is a way to the West! And they get to rape and pillage in Ireland!

I also find the scenery very beautiful. I think Ireland was the perfect place to film it.

I enjoyed some of the “behind the scenes” shorts I saw and I also liked this article -

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/03/vikings-get-an-epic-9-part-history-channel-makeover.html

[quote=“LadyOfWicca” post=137223]I also find the scenery very beautiful. I think Ireland was the perfect place to film it.

I enjoyed some of the “behind the scenes” shorts I saw and I also liked this article -

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/03/vikings-get-an-epic-9-part-history-channel-makeover.html[/quote]

I like the article also, but the comments are even better!

Episode 3 –

First contact was interesting. Ragnar is a good leader and even managed to learn something of the language from the priest. But his brother is such a hot head! I wonder how much different history may have been if the Vikings came as actual traders and not invaders.

This is the full song from the opening credits that I’m very addicted to right now -

“If I Had A Heart” by Fever Ray

[quote=“LadyOfWicca” post=137894]Episode 3 –

First contact was interesting. Ragnar is a good leader and even managed to learn something of the language from the priest. But his brother is such a hot head! I wonder how much different history may have been if the Vikings came as actual traders and not invaders.

Probably would have helped if Ragnar would have told them a little of what he wanted. “Let them take us to their castle before we attack.” Something like that perhaps?

That might have worked, but

I don’t think his men would have listened anyway. Blood lust and greed were already upon them. It was a fragile situation and I think it ended the only way it could have. Perhaps if more of them knew the language and customs, it may have been different. But you’re right - even if they went to to king, it would have ended in bloodshed anyway. Now, it just means the king will be warned and will be ready for them.

Episode 5 -

I think the Earl has pushed Ragnar too far this time. I can see the Earl dying at the hands of Ragnar now. If the Earl hadn’t been so jealous, Ragnar would have been a good friend to have.

Episode 6 -

[details=Spoiler]

All Hail Ragnar! :slight_smile:

After all that, I wonder why the Earl chose death. He was so determined to kill Ragnar all this time, but it seems like he just gave up and finally accepted the seer’s words that he was to die. I did enjoy the funeral though – even if the priest didn’t![/details]

Episode 7 -

[details=Spoiler]

Like her husband, Lagertha is clever and wise. It was a shame she had a miscarriage though.

And Northumbria lost its chance for peace. Now, I wonder how Aelle will retaliate.[/details]

[quote=“LadyOfWicca” post=139522]Episode 7 -

[spoiler]Like her husband, Lagertha is clever and wise. It was a shame she had a miscarriage though.

And Northumbria lost its chance for peace. Now, I wonder how Aelle will retaliate.[/spoiler][/quote]

He’s itching to throw someone into that snake pit. And you could see Ragnar sneering at all the men in the castle, how weak they were, hiding behind all the ‘men’ they were rounding up to fight. Not even the king could fight in that kingdom. How very sad.
And Ragnar would have given his brother back had they only paid the ransom. Did they really believe that they would continue to keep him alive after that stunt they pulled?

It was a very stupid thing to do, especially when you don’t know just who you are dealing with. Aelle isn’t a very diplomatic king. Maybe he will end up in the snake pit.

Episode 8 –

[details=Spoiler]

Looks like the priest has lost some of his faith. He lost his bible too. The trip to Uppsalla was interesting. Laughed at the magic mushrooms and the priest finally broke his vow of chastity. I also had a feeling that Athelstan was to be the sacrifice, but was found to still have some Christian faith and so, unsuitable. He is replaced by Leif and Ragnar loses another friend.

Ragnar swears fealty to the King, but as proof, Horik already is asking him for a favor and it doesn’t sound like a very pleasant one. But if Horik is wise, he will take Ragnar up on his offer to explore new lands. A shame that there is only one episode left, but I am so happy that a second season has been announced![/details]

Episode 9 –

[details=Spoiler]

There are going to be problems between the brothers with Siggy’s help. Ragnar visits Borg to request he give up King Horik’s land. Borg knows of Ragnar and would like to make his own deal with him. Once again, Rollo gets the short end of the stick and resents his brother. Borg will play upon that. I think too that Ragnar has found a new wife and his son already hates her.

Siggy unknowingly brings plague to the village and Lagertha has her hands full caring for the sick. Athelstan survives, but Lagertha loses her daughter and many others. It is sad that as she is dealing with all this, her husband has turned to another woman - one that will give him the promise of sons.

Horik will not negotiate with Borg and I’m sure he expects Ragnar to kill him. Borg gives Ragnar the opportunity to change his allegiance but he will not. Rollo is given the same choice – will he really betray his brother or is it a ploy? How will I ever be able to wait for the next season?![/details]

Comic-Con: ‘Vikings’ Panel Promises More Everything In Season 2, Premieres Trailer

WOOO!!! Season 3… :joy:

Rich and Rob Get Into a Snake Pit From Vikings - Comic-Con HQ Live