Alice Academy / Gakuen Alice

[size=16]Alice Academy / Gakuen Alice[/size]

[quote]Genres: comedy, drama, magic
Themes: magical girl, mischief, school, superpowers
Plot Summary: In a small country school, Sakura Mikan and Imai Hotaru are classmates and best friends - in their own way. Ditzy, emotional Mikan seems ill-matched with aloof, emotionless Hotaru, yet they are together all the time… until Hotaru gets called away to study at the strange and forbidding Alice Academy. In her anguish at being left behind, Mikan finally decides to follow her friend - and doing so, she makes a strange discovery.
Number of episodes: 26
Vintage: 2004-10-30 to 2005-05-14[/quote]
ANN Info Page

I saw this in the Right Stuff catalog and was trying to figure where to put on my buy list. I hope this will make it to Charter VOD.

[quote=Horrible]
I saw this in the Right Stuff catalog and was trying to figure where to put on my buy list. I hope this will make it to Charter VOD.[/quote]

The new shows will be coming to Anime Network SVOD carriers, including Charter.

Finished up the pilot.

I’m really happy that Enoki Films put the effort into dubbing these pilot episodes, though they’re kind of choppy in parts, it’s still my preferred method of watching, and sadly, that is the only dubbed episode, since RightStuf is releasing it as a sub only.

That being said though, I really enjoyed the pilot.
It seems to be a lot like Maburaho (“magical” school setting), though with younger kids and way less (if any) ecchi moments.

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Finished up the pilot.

It seems to be a lot like Maburaho (“magical” school setting), though with younger kids and way less (if any) ecchi moments.[/quote]

Ok, what does “ecchi” mean? And what does everything else mean? I have been watching anime for many years now, and am still oblivious to most terms. Someone, with knowledge, should make a list of anime/manga terms and even list what /a/, /b/, etc… means. Just a thought.
Slick

PS: I know I could look it up, but I think I could learn more from the anime pros.

[quote=slickwolfie]
Ok, what does “ecchi” mean?[/quote]

In this case, generally, it loosely translates into perverted.
Or if a charcter is calling another one “ecchi”, they’re calling them a pervert.

And since you brought it up, ANN has a lexicon of common terms.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

[quote=slickwolfie]
Ok, what does “ecchi” mean?[/quote]

In this case, generally, it loosely translates into perverted.
Or if a charcter is calling another one “ecchi”, they’re calling them a pervert.[/quote]

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]

And since you brought it up, ANN has a lexicon of common terms.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php[/quote]

Thanks for the info CG. As for the anime itself, it looks interesting. I may check out the episode 1 dub.
Slick

[quote=TheCoffeeGod]
Finished up the pilot.

I’m really happy that Enoki Films put the effort into dubbing these pilot episodes, though they’re kind of choppy in parts, it’s still my preferred method of watching, and sadly, that is the only dubbed episode, since RightStuf is releasing it as a sub only.

It seems to be a lot like Maburaho (“magical” school setting), though with younger kids and way less (if any) ecchi moments.[/quote]

Dragoon and me were wondering if the pilot was dubbed.
Enoki probably pitched these shows to the TV networks here and no one wanted them.
Sadly the good shows usually don’t get dubbed anymore because they are also a lot of times the niche shows that most of the time will not show a profit with a dub.
Gakuen Alice set comes out the end of this month and is pretty low priced even for a 26 episode sub only release so I don’t think even Rightstuf/Nozomi has high expectations for it.

I’ve had this show preordered for a couple months now, and it should be shipping soon. I was going back and forth on it, but then I read about the psychotic teddy bear and I was sold. Really can’t wait to watch it.

i like this tv show alot i’m glade they put it in english but the charters sould better in jap. and in english they pernounsed nustume’s name worng the t is suposed to be silent insted of the s.

[quote=kosmos99]
i like this tv show alot i’m glade they put it in english but the charters sould better in jap. and in english they pernounsed nustume’s name worng the t is suposed to be silent insted of the s.[/quote]

It’s only the pilot episode that has a dub. Enoki dubbed these “pilots” as pitch episodes as far as we can tell
The true Episode 1 and the rest are sub only as that is how the company that licensed released it.

Is this supose to be up on Charter? Only the Pilot Episode is up from a couple weeks ago.

Who ever did this the locatization is either a perv on drugs. Little girl’s panties and male students falling in love with a male teather are pretty much taboo in the kiddie-poo land in the US. Not mention a few other thing. I think most TV exces would freak just thinking of the hate mail.

Watching, It would not have been hard to Kidize that dialog and ommit and edit the scenes wihout ruining the Anime.

No it isn’t up yet, see the VOD forum for more on that.

I am trying to stay away from the bad.
End up going crazy everytime I look at that section.

Well that’s the section to discuss service related stuff, questions and answers.

This section is to discuss the anime content itself.

My bet is someone’s in for a surprise when the dubbed original Japanese second ep is posted.

man i just wish more of these shows where dubbed. i can’t keep up with the sub titles. i did some checking around the net and i thought that i read that it was dubbed but i may be wrong.

We already discussed that, read up. :wink: Only 1 test pilot episode was dubbed by the company that owns the broadcast license. There was no dub made since sales are limited for some series like this.

Sadly in today’s market, some of the more hardcore, otaku, niche series won’t get dubs like they used to in the past. The market has shrunk and contracted due to people not buying DVDs.

and sadly with todays maket i don’t have the money to help the dvd market. Plus i can understand japanese. what little japanese i do know comes from reading Manga :frowning:

Two episodes down (one re-watched in sub).

Like I mentioned when I watched the pilot, I’m actually enjoying this one.
A lot actually, even with the subs.
It fits right in with my like for cute comedies.

I may need to dig up some cash and get this, possibly before it finishes airing, depending on when the RSI sale pops up.