Alice Academy / Gakuen Alice

[quote=rebecca12]
First action and now a romance, they worked everything into this series. But it’s still cute and I can’t wait to see how it all works out.[/quote]

spoiler

Romance? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a full blown love triangle brewing here!

Natsume: …Meow.

[quote=Newshawk]

[quote=rebecca12]
First action and now a romance, they worked everything into this series. But it’s still cute and I can’t wait to see how it all works out.[/quote]

spoiler

Romance? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a full blown love triangle brewing here!

spoiler

Be sad if it destroys Natsume and Ryuk friendship.

Just started watching this after seeing someone(I think Rebecca 1/2) post on another thread. I must say, I love it. This series didn’t even show up on my radar, and now I can’t get enough of it. Great show.
Slick

Episode 20 -

[details=spoiler]Mikan was able to get a letter from Grandpa! I’m glad for her, although Mr. Narumi is probably going to get into trouble for it. And Mr. Jinno looks fully recovered from his ordeal – a pity. He really needs to loosen up a bit.

Mikan dances with Ruka and they look so cute together. Natsume seems to be pushing them together – literally! But when Mikan finds him later, Natsume tells her to stay away from the darkness because he doesn’t want her to see it. He warns her to go away and not get close to him. Such a serious moment! It is so evident that Natsume really cares for her; and Ruka sees them talking and notices that Natsume uses her first name. After Mikan leaves, Ruka says that it is the first time he has called a girl by her first name and then they playfully argue over who should dance with her.

But I knew that Mikan would end up dancing the last dance with Hotaru – I just didn’t think it would be because Hotaru picked her instead of the other way around. It also seemed to me that Natsume and Ruka were a little relieved that Mikan ended up with Hotaru too. [/details]

spoiler

as long as it doesn’t become a love rectangle, if Hotaru feels that way too… lol… hey, in these series you never know -

spoiler

:laugh: I was thinking that as well. Since Hotaru seems pretty emotionless, I never know what she is really feeling. And there were those odd comments she made to Ruka too, and about wanting “Mikan (orange) cake”.

[quote=LadyOfWicca]

spoiler

:laugh: I was thinking that as well. Since Hotaru seems pretty emotionless, I never know what she is really feeling. And there were those odd comments she made to Ruka too, and about wanting “Mikan (orange) cake”.

[details=spoiler]Nah, LadyOfWicca, I think she was dropping broad hints to Ruka to take the last dance with Mikan. Personally, I think she chose Mikan so as to not let her down in front of the whole school. Like so may other characters in many of the animes I’ve seen, Hotaru can say whatever she wants about Mikan, but woe to whoever else tries to put her down.
Or do I owe her an apology?[/details]

We shall see Newshawk! :laugh:

Episode 21 -

[details=spoiler]Final exams are here! And if you do well, you may get to go home and spend a whole week with your family! The thought of seeing her grandfather again makes Mikan study hard. She ends up inspiring the whole class to study as well. At one point Ruka looks a little jealous of the attention that Natsume is getting. Or maybe he is just surprised to see him helping his fellow students. Or is it something else?

A new teacher, Serio, shows up to proctor one of the exams and Natsume is really upset to see him. He is wearing many restraint items too. Natsume later calls him “Persona” and it turns out that is the one that works with Natsume on those “special” jobs. Persona comments on the lack of despair in Natsume’s eyes and guesses it is because of Mikan. He makes a comment about her to Natsume, but is it a warning or a threat? Persona also seems to have some kind of a disintegration / killing Alice.

It was nice that Mikan gave up her own desperately needed study time to help Sumire with her cooking skills. That is just the kind of friend she is. But then Mikan falls asleep during her math test and ends up not doing well on any of her exams. And because she fired up the other students to study, the class average has improved. Well, that’s something at least! And Mikan is no longer the “new girl”, but an accepted member of the class. Yay!

I’m also glad that my teachers never had any of those cactus plants. Ouch!![/details]

Ep. 21

spoiler

Think this episode really shows how Mikan brings out the best in the people around her. She got everyone to try their best on the test. She has quickly become the heart of her class.

Ep. 22

spoiler

What a cute but also sad episode. I can see why he keeps making the stuffed animals even if it does shorten his life. I do wonder if Mikan is right about Natsume Alice making his life short. Also poor Mikan trying to make friends with Bear.

Episode 22 -

[details=spoiler]Mikan gets to meet Kaname, the creator of Bear. He can affix a soul to a stuffed animal, but this Alice shortens his life. Mikan is determined to stop him when she finds out.

I liked the scene in the hallway when Mikan accidentally hits Natsume with the duster. I was surprised he didn’t say anything, but he did give her that “look” before turning away. As Mikan watches him walk away, she realizes that he might have the same type of Alice and his life may be shortened as well.

Mikan visits Kaname and tries to get him to stop making the stuffed animals, but he tells her the story of how he created Bear when he was a sickly, lonely child and not able to go out and play. He tells her that he won’t stop because he likes to make people smile and warm their hearts.

When Mikan and Hotaru overhear Kaname talking to Bear about his future, Mikan is sad, but sees how love can warm a person’s heart. Hotaru tightens her hold on Mikan’s hand without saying anything, but saying everything, which I thought was sweet. There is a disturbing scene here of Natsume lying on his bed in pain, surrounded by pills. I wonder if they are the same pills that Kaname takes? I feel bad that their gifts give them so much pain.

When Kaname has to go back to the hospital, Mikan makes him a promise that she will be Bear’s friend. She does try too, giving Bear a picture of Kaname and himself. Bear accepts the picture, but sends Mikan flying anyway. However, knowing Mikan and her determination, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if she eventually succeeds in befriending him.[/details]

Episode 23 -

[details=spoiler]The circus comes to the academy and the ringmaster is someone called Masked Q. I knew who he was right away! During the performance, one of the lions, a cub, becomes scared and runs from the ring. Instead of tranquilizing it, Ruka asks if he can help. He is able to calm the cub, but notices an injury on its leg. The cub has obviously been abused. I really hate to see abused animal myself.

Mikan wins a ride on the trapeze and when Masked Q comes to get her, she thinks his voice is familiar. She has a great time and after the show, the group is approached by one of the clowns. He thanks Ruka for his help with the lion and when Ruka asks about the cub, they are all invited to go backstage. The cub is still being abused and is terrified, being forced to jump through a ring of fire. Natsume gives the lion tamer a taste of what it’s like, but he tells Natsume that the cub must earn its keep and Natsume makes a comment that the situation is similar to his own. I feel so bad for him.

Back at school, during a basketball game, the other team cheats by using their Alice abilities. Mikan tells them that it isn’t fair and they shouldn’t depend on their Alices for everything, but she is told that she shouldn’t expect things at the school to be fair. She gives a nice little speech about how the circus inspired her and they should work hard to achieve things and not always use their Alices. This time it backfires and she gets reported and then reprimanded by Mr. Jinno for “condemning” Alices, but she denies it. It wasn’t what she was trying to say. Ignoring her, he hands her over to Narumi. Narumi tells her that she can’t say what she said and tells her of someone else who once said something similar. I have a feeling that he’s talking about Mikan’s mother.

Ruka returns to the circus alone. He has a flashback of Persona trying to take him, but Natsume won’t let him. He protects Ruka by taking on more missions himself – another nice insight to his personality. The same clown meets Ruka and tells him of the lion cub’s fate. Ruka thinks of Natsume and his fate. There is also a nice flashback into Natsume’s past that was interesting and shows how he came to be at the academy. I also liked the scene with Hotaru’s latest invention – poor Mikan!

The clown takes Ruka to Masked Q, who turns out to be Reo. I knew it was him! Reo tries to convince Ruka that he only wanted to rescue Natsume when he kidnapped him. Ruka realizes that the lion cub and Natsume are the same, but still doesn’t believe Reo. Reo tells him how he was also controlled by Persona and used by the academy. He says that he will tell Ruka the truth about the school and what they are really doing. I hope he does. I’d like to know what is really going on too![/details]

Yes Wicca, but did you notice…

spoiler

As he is telling his version of the truth, he is using his voice Alice. Something about that does not seem right.

Redshirt -

spoiler

I wasn’t sure if Reo was using his Alice or not. If he was, Ruka seemed to be resisting it, since he really didn’t seem to believe Reo.

Wicca

spoiler

He started after the other guy left. Ruka kinda froze in place when he started, and we did not get to hear what he said as the episode ended.

[details=spoiler] also you saw him mess with the earring that apparently he can use to keep it on mute the rest of the time.

Doesn’t this school do any background checks on the entertainment they bring in?? Reo got back in there waaay too easy for someone who’s just tried to kidnap a student there a couple weeks back.

Have to wonder if that’s Mikan’s mother from the past with the same ability.

Oh, and can we kick that lion tamer in the groin a few times? Or send him to a one-year apprenticeship with Sigfried & Roy… [/details]

You’re both right. I went back and watched it again. I wasn’t paying attention and I missed it. Sorry!

[details=spoiler]Reo did play with his earring, but I wonder what he is telling Ruka?

And I agree with you Rebecca1/2 - that lion tamer needs a serious lesson. I hate people that abuse animals![/details]

Episode 24 -

[details=spoiler]A lot happened in this episode!

Natsume collapses during a mission and the next day in class, he is in obvious pain. Looking at him, Ruka thinks of Reo and what he told him - how he and Narumi were sent on missions to gather intel and manipulate people. Reo tells Ruka about a girl student that had demanded rights for Alices and was targeted by the academy. It has to be Mikan’s mother! Because of this girl and her message, the other students split into two groups – the moderates that wanted to reach an agreement with the academy and the radicals. Narumi sided with the academy. The girl was made an example of and expelled. The academy took extreme measures and many of Reo’s friends were driven from the academy. He felt Narumi deceived him.

Reo again tells Ruka that he wants to save Natsume. He says that he does have the type of Alice that will shorten his life and even if he doesn’t use it and survives, he knows too much to be allowed to live. And Narumi will be the one ordered to kill him. Reo wants Ruka to work with him to destroy the academy and save Natsume. He tells Ruka all this while using his Alice to influence him. See? I noticed this time! :laugh:

Mikan recalls her conversation with Narumi. She asked him if they should become people who have nothing to offer but their Alices and he said no, but tells her that someone once said the same thing, meaning no harm, but the higher ups took it as criticism against the academy. Still has to be Mikan’s mother.

Since Narumi isn’t coming to teach class, they will have a study period. Natsume, Ruka and another student leave. Ruka says that Natsume doesn’t look well and should go to the hospital. Natsume says he’s fine. Then Persona shows up and tells Natsume he has work to do. Ruka tries to prevent him from going and Natsume collapses. Persona notes that he hasn’t recovered from the previous night and wants to give him some pills. Ruka slaps the pill out of Persona’s hand and knocks him down, telling the other student to get Natsume back to the classroom.

Ruka follows and the children barricade themselves in. Natsume is barely conscious and in great pain. The children vow to protect him, but they also need to get him to the hospital. In the office, Jinno is putting the blame on Mikan for this latest incident. One teacher mentions that it brings back memories. An interesting comment. I wonder what happened in the past to make her think that. Jinno says that Narumi gives Mikan too much preferential treatment.

The guards are trying to break into the classroom, but the children will only come out if they promise not to send Natsume on any more missions. The guards will not negotiate with them. Mikan wonders why Natsume is the only one being forced to go on missions and Ruka explains it is because of his power. Ruka says that if he didn’t agree to go, his friends would be used instead and Mikan realizes his sacrifice. Ruka then continues to speak out against the academy and teachers – Reo’s influence. The class rep notices that Ruka isn’t really himself and that something may be wrong. Ruka goes on to say that they have to make a stand.

Out in the hallway, Narumi passes Persona on his way to the classroom. Persona tells him to “make it work” and Narumi tells him that he doesn’t take orders. Persona answers him by saying “you don’t want to drag in the other students, do you?” Persona doesn’t seem to have any regard for anyone.

Narumi tells the students to come out and that he will take care of Natsume personally. Ruka says that Narumi is the same as Persona and Mikan argues with him. Ruka does not want to give up Natsume, but Hotaru says that they can’t keep him in his current condition. They open the door and they take Natsume away on a stretcher. Narumi promises to stay with him and tells everyone to go back to their dorm rooms.

At the hospital, Persona arrives and says the pills he has will make Natsume better. Narumi says that he promised his students that he wouldn’t let Natsume be taken by him. Persona reminds him that he should know that orders are absolute and if he opposes him, his ideals might never be realized. Persona tells Narumi to “look the other way” where Natsume is concerned.

Mikan and some others come to visit Natsume and find Narumi sitting with his head in his hands and Natsume gone. He apologizes to them for failing. Later that night, they check Natsume’s room, but he still isn’t back and Mikan finds out that Persona is the liaison between the higher ups at the academy and “outside work”. No one can go against the people behind Persona and Ruka says that Narumi is one of them – he earns someone’s trust and then betrays them.

The next day, Natsume still isn’t back. The children say that they never should have let him go and Sumire blames Mikan for siding with Narumi; he overhears them. Narumi comes in to start class and he is met with silence. Mikan goes to him and demands to know about Natsume. Narumi says that he went on an “errand” for the academy and a sea of unbelieving faces stare back at him. Mikan says she‘s mad because she trusted him and walks out of class. The rest of the students decide that they won’t stay in class until Natsume comes back and they all walk out too.

Hotaru’s brother sees them outside and comes to question them. He asks for Mikan and rudely questions her about them boycotting class and pretty much blames her for their behavior. Hotaru stands up for her but Mikan doesn’t want her to argue with her brother. Ruka joins them and asks Hotaru’s brother if he knows what the academy is making students do. He walks away and the girl with him says that they are well aware of what is going on, but it’s only field exercises to strengthen their Alice abilities. Ruka tries to tell them the truth, but they won’t listen and when Ruka grabs Hotaru’s brother’s arm, he gives Ruka an electric shock. They give a final warning that the Executive Committee is watching them and leave.

All through this episode there is a black crow flying around that looks like it is watching things. After this latest incident, the crow files to the circus, right to the lion tamer! I’m thinking he has an Alice that lets him talk to animals. Reo is there as well as the clown, and the lion tamer tells them that the “time is almost ripe”. Reo tells him to send Ruka some backup and the lion tamer lets the lion out of his cage!!

I hope someone realizes what is going on and can stop Reo in time. And I’m very worried about poor Natsume. That Persona needs to be taught a lesson too!![/details]

Ep. 24

spoiler

This was a heavy episode. Jinno is showing his prejudiced by blaming it all on Mikan when it was really started by Ruka. I agree those references have to be to Mikan mother. Do wonder what happened to her after she was expelled.

spoiler

I would also love to know who Mikan’s father is, but I know it is very unlikely we’ll be told in these episodes.